PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather bag for 12-yr old daughter

wookinpanub
11-01-2012, 15:04
I need to get advice on a cold weather (0 degree) bag for my 12-yr old daughter and possibly myself. She's 5 foot 4 inches, so a womans bag for her is needed. We have 2 synthetic fill 0 degree bags, but they are much too bulky. In order to keep her a happy backpacker, I carry both of our sleeping bags and the bulk leaves me little room for other essentials in my pack. I use compression stuff sacks when backpacking, but even they can't get our current 0 degree bags to a manageable size. I know there are $500 bags out there that will meet the criteria, but we already have 7 sleeping bags and I don't think my wife would go for dropping a grand on new bags. I would like the bags to be as inexpensive as possible. Any advice? :-?

jakedatc
11-01-2012, 15:13
http://enlightenedequipment.com/revelationx.html the 5'6 regular would probably wrap all the way around her 1.4lb she could probably carry it herself.

Sherpa Master
11-01-2012, 15:16
You might consider a 20 degree bag and use a liner. You'll get more use out of the bag year round and the liner will take you to about 5 degree comfort range. Less weight and more compressible. Look into silk or synthetic liners to prevent moisture problems.

The Old Boot
11-01-2012, 15:19
Maybe you're going about this the slightly wrong way! The only way you're going to get bulk on the bags lowered is to move to down bags which tend to be pricey and you've already admitted to owning more than enough bags.

The problem sounds like it's the bulk of the bag(s) rather than their temp ratings.

IIWM, I'd be packing at least HER sleeping bag in her pack and you carry some of the stuff that she's used to carrying. Maybe, depending on the bulk of both bags, she can carry both the bags while you're carrying all the heavy stuff. Maybe she needs a bigger, lighter pack rather which would likely cost a whole lot less than less bulky sleeping bags.

Heck, both my boys started backpacking at 6 & 8 yrs old respectively, they carried their own sleeping bags and shared carrying their little two man tent. They also carried whatever light weight other stuff would fit (breakfast cereals etc.) Maybe it's time she started carrying ALL her own stuff. At 5'4" she's certainly big enough - there's a whole lot of us women hikers who are way shorter than that!

wookinpanub
11-01-2012, 15:53
Thanks for the reply. I've been toying around with the idea of a quilt for myself, but I think she'd be more comfortable with a hooded mummy.

wookinpanub
11-01-2012, 15:58
The sleeping bag is the only thing that I carry of hers. She's been backpacking with me since she was 6 and I've always been sensitive (probably overly so) to her having an enjoyable experience and limiting her carrying weight. She has a big enough pack. Maybe I'll just move some things around.
Thanks for the input.

swjohnsey
11-01-2012, 16:15
The Kelty Light Year down bags are decent for the money. The come 0, 20, and 40, I believe. They would probably cut your weight and bulk in half. Watch for them on sale and on eBay.