PDA

View Full Version : Montbell vs Western Mountaineering vs Feathered Friends.

AllTheWayToMordor
11-01-2012, 16:07
I'm looking at sleeping bags for my upcoming thru hike and I was wondering if you guys had any opinions on the above mentioned sleeping bags.

Ive heard that the montbell it really comfy but can start leaking down before others would. Has anybody noticed this?

Thanks

Don H
11-01-2012, 17:19
I have a FF Swallow 20* bag and a MB UL SS Down Hugger #3 and a #5. I plan on buying a #1 to replace the FF bag which will get passed down to my son. All are good bags, I just like the MB bags better.

colorado_rob
11-01-2012, 19:04
Those three bag manufacturers all have great reputations. I wouldn't let anecdotal "evidence" from a few folks about leaking feathers, etc, stop you from the MB products. I have a bunch of MB stuff, including two down jackets, great stuff. That being said: We (my wife and I) also own four WM sleeping bags, that brand being my definite favorite.

Just adding an unsolicited opinion: Have you considered adding the Marmot Plasma series to your candidates? My wife just bought a Marmot Plasma 15, and I just might have to swipe it from her for the start of my thru next spring (then switch to a 32 deg when it warms a bit). It's the same weight as my WM +20 Alpinelite, and I think it might actually be a tad warmer (consistent with its 15 vs 20 deg rating). The nice thing about Marmot bags is you can actually find that brand on sale. finding WM, FF or MB products on sale is really tough. I think the Marmot Plasma series is worth looking at. They make a 32 deg version that is probably as light as the WM, MB of FF stuff.

bubonicplay
11-01-2012, 20:14
The marmot plasmas are the Lamborghinis of bags, expensive but what is also included is bragging rights.

Don H
11-01-2012, 20:32
All my bags leak a little down.

bigcranky
11-01-2012, 20:40
I have a Megalite and an Antelope from WM, and my wife has a #3 and a #0 from Montbell. All are excellent bags. To tell the truth I'm a little jealous of the stretch feature in her UL Super Stretch bags, but it does add a couple of ounces.

My Megalite is about 8 years old and has lost some down over the years. The others, not so much.

10-K
11-01-2012, 21:02
I've got 2 Mont Bell bags and a Western Mountaineering bag. I prefer the WM bag but either brand would be a great pick.

SCRUB HIKER
11-01-2012, 21:54
Yeah, from reading these and other forums for awhile and talking to a lot of people on trail, all of those brands have really good reputations. In my experience, WM's is even a little higher than the other two. But you're not going to go wrong with any of them.

I will put in an unasked-for plug for down quilts right now, too. I have the GoLite 20-degree down quilt and it's magical. I think quilts are more versatile and comfortable, not to mention lighter, than mummy bags. I won't go back. Look around--GoLite, EnLIGHTened, Jacks R Better, etc. also have fine reputations.

daddytwosticks
11-02-2012, 07:11
I own two WM bags and love them. Plus, made in the USA. :)

Kerosene
11-02-2012, 08:57
I own two WM bags (HighLite & UltraLite), an older Marmot Pinnacle, plus a Montbell down jac-shirt, all of which are top-notch. My guess is that every down bag will lose some feathers here and there; the only reason that it might be an issue with a bag would be shoddy stitching or an extremely light non-downproof cover -- none of which I think you'll find in this selection.

My sense is that the WM bags are consistently a few ounces lighter for the advertised temperature, and they do appear to be within +/- 5 degrees of their advertised temperature for an adult male. I haven't found down quilts to be much lighter (sometimes heavier), so I haven't gone that route as I also use a shortie pad with my padded framesheet under my legs to save 4-6 ounces.

Drybones
11-02-2012, 09:30
If the sale is still on, Mountain Gear has the Marmot Helium, 15 degree, 850 down bag for $279...tried my new one out on the Art Loeb last week...good deal.

Studlintsean
11-02-2012, 10:19
If the sale is still on, Mountain Gear has the Marmot Helium, 15 degree, 850 down bag for $279...tried my new one out on the Art Loeb last week...good deal.

Looks like the Helium went back up to $399.

Kerosene- I have been thinking about picking up the Marmot Pinnacle while its on sale at REI for $279. Can you let me know your thoughts on this bag? I undertand its not the top of the line bag but for the bang for the buck, would you recommend this bag?

Thanks

Kerosene
11-02-2012, 11:46
My Marmot Pinnacle (rated to 15F) is probably a decade old now. I believe it weighs in at 2 lbs, 10 oz. I would characterize it as a solid bag with excellent construction, but a bit heavier than I'd like for the temperature. Where I might classify WM and FF bags in a "top tier", Marmot and Sierra Designs might be in a tier just below, but still very good bags for the price.

colorado_rob
11-02-2012, 12:54
My Marmot Pinnacle (rated to 15F) is probably a decade old now. I believe it weighs in at 2 lbs, 10 oz. I would characterize it as a solid bag with excellent construction, but a bit heavier than I'd like for the temperature. Where I might classify WM and FF bags in a "top tier", Marmot and Sierra Designs might be in a tier just below, but still very good bags for the price. Having owned a Marmot Pinnacle years for 10 year myself, I 100% agree with this assessment, FWIW. I "demoted" my pinnacle to car camping use when I sprung for the lighter, more expensive bags I now own, but really, there is nothing at all wrong with my 10 yo pinnacle except the extra 10-12 ounces (mine weighs exactly 2#-10oz as Kerosene said) over my WM 20 deg (an even 2 lbs) or my wife's Marmot Plasma 15 (1-14).

In fact, it's remarkable how well that pinnacle has held up over many years of heavy use. Great bag, just not super light.

skinewmexico
11-02-2012, 16:17
WM is still the gold standard in bags, although FF is close. And made in the USA. What more could you want?

(Correct answer is a quilt!). My Megalite has been pretty lonely since I discovered quilts.

Studlintsean
11-02-2012, 16:24
WM is still the gold standard in bags, although FF is close. And made in the USA. What more could you want?

(Correct answer is a quilt!). My Megalite has been pretty lonely since I discovered quilts.

I would prefer a WM but not sure it's financially the
most sound decision right now. I am hesitant to buy anything else ( although I have a Montbell #5 which I have had no complaints about) in order to avoid buying two bags in the next 2 years.

AllTheWayToMordor
11-02-2012, 17:47
I think I'm going to go with the western mountaineering ultra lite and save a few ozs over the MB. I can get it at the gear shop here in town. I don;t think I could do a quilt. I move around too much when I sleep, I routinely end up with the bag upside down on me when I sleep.

SCRUB HIKER
11-02-2012, 18:18
I don;t think I could do a quilt. I move around too much when I sleep, I routinely end up with the bag upside down on me when I sleep.

I hear what you're saying, but I think you misunderstand a little. I think quilts are _better_ than bags when I toss and turn at night. Mummy bags get all twisted up while a quilt stays in the same position on top of you, especially if you use a line to secure it in place around the underside of your sleeping pad.

But regardless, a thousand people have had WM bags and loved them, so you're not going to go wrong with your decision.

turtle fast
11-03-2012, 01:10
I too am looking at the Marmot Plasma and what they have done with the bag actually makes a lot of sense to me. Baffles that run parallel to the bag stops latitudional shifting of the down as well as the foot box makes complete sense to right down to the small down "pillow" in the hood. 900 fill down too cant be beat. The two downsides to this bag is the obvious high price tag and that the zippers can catch. I think Marmot really did their homework here and may generate a new way of making bags.

Drybones
11-03-2012, 09:24
I too am looking at the Marmot Plasma and what they have done with the bag actually makes a lot of sense to me. Baffles that run parallel to the bag stops latitudional shifting of the down as well as the foot box makes complete sense to right down to the small down "pillow" in the hood. 900 fill down too cant be beat. The two downsides to this bag is the obvious high price tag and that the zippers can catch. I think Marmot really did their homework here and may generate a new way of making bags.

The spec show a 5.5" loft for the Plasma and 6" for the Helium & Pennacle, all rated at 15 degrees. I question if the Plasma would be nearly as warm.

Drybones
11-03-2012, 09:30
Looks like the Helium went back up to $399.

Kerosene- I have been thinking about picking up the Marmot Pinnacle while its on sale at REI for $279. Can you let me know your thoughts on this bag? I undertand its not the top of the line bag but for the bang for the buck, would you recommend this bag?

Thanks

If you check out the reviews you wont find an owner who does not like thier Pennacle. I have one and it sleeps great, only issue is weight. I bought mine used and dont know why but it's 3 lb-2 oz rather than the 2,12 the specs say, but it's probably warm down to 0 degrees.

Beuhler
11-03-2012, 10:19
Feathered Friends Osprey for me. Looked at Marmot, WM and Feathered Friends and went with the Feathered Friends due to a combination of cost, reputation, made in America, and fit. Probably would have been happy with any of them but as this was my first down bag, I don't have much to compare to. One of the very best gear purchases I've made. Money well spent. If I ever need another bag it will most definitely be a Feathered Friends bag.

turtle fast
11-04-2012, 01:11
Drybones, you got to remember that this is 900 fill down versus 800 and 850 for the others. Very little hard feathers in the bag just the down versus he other weights. So a larger loft is not as necessary to achieve the same insulating properties. The only "down" side (pun intended) is that I hear it is harder to compress.....all second hand hearsay so I gotta check it out fr myself. Though the large price tag is quite daunting, though if it is a bag that would last 30 years....maybe worth it.

Whack-a-mole
11-04-2012, 17:11
One good thing about the WM bags, is that on some models they offer a wide model for us big guys. That may not matter to a lot of normal sized folks, but it makes a big difference for us. I bought a wide/tall model, and it fits me better than any other bag I've tried.

Tinker
11-04-2012, 19:49
I've bought three Feathered Friends bags, a Montbell bag, a Golite bag, Western Mountaineering down pants, a Marmot down jacket, and even a Stephenson Warmlite down bag with a built in vapor barrier and down air mat.
The Feathered Friends has the best workmanship, the Western mountaineering pants were next, the Montbell has the lightest fabric, the Golite was the best bag for the money, the Marmot jacket is very good, but not up to the previously mentioned items, and the Stephenson bag was way more than anybody other than an arctic or antarctic or high peaks expedition could ever need (and it weighed like it).

Grampsb
11-05-2012, 06:08
If you are considering quilts the check out Katabaticgear.