PDA

View Full Version : If you were getting a new hammock today.......

prain4u
11-01-2012, 23:59
I am considering getting a new hammock (or requesting one as a Christmas gift). What would folks suggest AND WHY.

Some information about me....
For the past 6 years, I have used a Hennessy Hammock Ultralite Backpacker (classic version, bottom entrance). I use a sleeping pad instead of an under quilt because of where I hike. (I sometimes have to pitch the hammock like a bivy or stay in a shelter due to lack of proper trees). Thus, under quilts are not always practical--and a pad is needed for shelters or "ground sleeping".

I am not certain that I like the bottom entrance version of the Hennessy Hammock--especially with using a sleeping pad.

I eventually plan to thru hike.

I am 5'8" and weigh about 175 lbs.

So, please give me some advice. If you had to do it all over again (in December 2012)--what hammock would you get and why? (Please take into consideration some of the factors noted above about my hiking situation and my height/weight--but please don't feel bound by those considerations). THANKS!!!!!

l84toff
11-02-2012, 01:07
Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 single. Why? Because I have a 1.1 double and would like to cut down on a few ounces.

A lot of research led me to the BB, I erred on the side of caution when I bought the double layer vs the single layer as I wasn't sure if I would ever use a pad. So far I love my UQ and don't think I will ever use a pad.

I have tried a Hennessy, in fact my daughter has one and it's quite a bit smaller. The BB offers a shelf inside to keep some extra goodies (water, sweater, phone, glasses, book, I think I had more than that in there the last time). But seriously it's über comfy.

Just my 2c.

l84toff
11-02-2012, 01:10
So just to clarify I'd recommend the 1.1 dbl for you to use a pad with.

My thru hike is currently in the dream phase but I'm planning on bringing the single when I go.

Dr. Professor
11-02-2012, 05:10
I have and love the Blackbird double 1.1. For you, with the underpad, it is the way to go (if you go with the Blackbird). For a very long hike like a through hike, it helps to be able to stuff clothing between the layers if extra insulation is needed in places while on a cold ridge.

The shelf on the Blackbird is a fantastic feature.

urbansix
11-02-2012, 05:27
Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 single. Why? Because I have a 1.1 double and would like to cut down on a few ounces.

A lot of research led me to the BB, I erred on the side of caution when I bought the double layer vs the single layer as I wasn't sure if I would ever use a pad. So far I love my UQ and don't think I will ever use a pad.

I have tried a Hennessy, in fact my daughter has one and it's quite a bit smaller. The BB offers a shelf inside to keep some extra goodies (water, sweater, phone, glasses, book, I think I had more than that in there the last time). But seriously it's über comfy.

Just my 2c.

This ^^^

I have a WB Blackbird double wall since I used a pad when I got it, but would get the single today to save a few grams, having invested in a UQ. I have been in the WB Blackbird for a few years and have not found or read about anything that I think I would like better. Would definitely buy it again.

Monkeywrench
11-02-2012, 06:07
It sounds like the Hennessy works well for you and you've developed a system that accommodates occasionally having to go to ground,. If the bottom entry is the only thing that bothers you, why not send it out to 2QZQ (http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com (http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/)) for one of their zipper mods. Then you'll have the best of both worlds.

chiefduffy
11-02-2012, 06:20
WBBB 1.1 DBL. I have the 1.0 Dbl (no longer available) and love it. I have been using it backpacking for 3 yrs, and have never had any issues. I love the cinchbuckle suspension, which is heavier than whoopie slings, but much quicker/easier for me. I use Dutch clips on my straps, can completely pitch the hammock ready to sleep in about 40 seconds(not counting the tarp). I use a pad, but do not put it between layers, although I did have to put stuff between the layers twice( temps around 20 degrees). I have a 1.1 single on order because I want to lighten up, but I havent used it yet, so cant recommend. I am about your size...try a blackbird if you get a chance, the extra room and onboard storage really outclass the Hennessys.

Deadeye
11-02-2012, 08:24
I guess I'll jump on the WB bandwagon. I switched from my Hennessy to WBBB a few years ago. I'm getting a quilt, but for now I still use a pad and can easily go to ground. The BB is quicker & easier to set up, and roomier & more comfortable to sleep in, plus everything everyone else has said about their BB!

T-Rx
11-02-2012, 08:35
I have and love the Blackbird double 1.1. For you, with the underpad, it is the way to go (if you go with the Blackbird). For a very long hike like a through hike, it helps to be able to stuff clothing between the layers if extra insulation is needed in places while on a cold ridge.

The shelf on the Blackbird is a fantastic feature.

+1 on the WBBB 1.1 dbl for all the above stated reasons. I have used mine backpacking for about 3 years now and love it. I do use an underquilt though instead of a pad.

kayak karl
11-02-2012, 08:53
i have 8 hammocks. 3 HH, 2 have zipper mods (best investment). i bought 2 BB hammocks and got rid of them. the footbox and storage shelf to me were a waste. would never buy another, but they ARE very well made. on the trail in the summer i carry the HH Exp UL with zipper mod. in winter in 1.7 DIY 11'.
don't waste your money on a new hammock. why not get a cuben tarp?

zipper mod (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)

R1ma
11-02-2012, 10:43
I've got a HH zipper with ring suspension and a synthetic UQ. Works great for me. I'd do the same if I did it again, except maybe a 900fp UQ instead.

My daughter has a HH scout (velcro) - got for free from Hennessey when they were doing their xmas sale a couple years ago. She loves it, but she is only 4 ;)

On the other hand, one of these days, I'm going to build my wife a 1.1 WBBB double clone because she prefers a pad. Still with ring suspension.

bannerstone
11-02-2012, 11:19
Lots of good advice above, I'm a BB owner too. With your needs, I would be looking at the Dangerbird for the bivy aspect. Check the Hammockforums.net for gear reviews.

http://www.dream-hammock.com/shop.html#!/~/category/id=3834992&offset=0&sort=normal

David

bear bag hanger
11-02-2012, 11:32
I'd like to recommend something a little different. It should be noted, my opinions run counter to just about everybody. While the WarBonnett is very comfortable, it has one slight fatal flaw, you can only get into it from one side. With a hammock that can be accessed from both sides, you have less problems when they stretch out over time. If one side stretches out, you use the other side to even things out. With a WarBonnett, once the entry side stretches, it's not as comfortable and becomes less comfortable the more you use it. I know this, because I used one for a couple years. Right now I like the Clark hammocks (get the larger ones, they are much more comfortable) but they are heavier than anything else. Treetotree Switchbacks are pretty good and weigh a lot less than the Clarks. I'd opt for a double bottom hammock, that way a sleeping pad will work pretty well by placing the pad between the layers.

msupple
11-02-2012, 13:08
I would probably get this hammock because it has a built in bug net and only weighs 12.85 ounces.

http://www.dream-hammock.com/shop.html#!/~/product/category=3834990&id=16320652

I would then buy a travel sock from Warbonnet Hammocks and use it when it's cold. When it becomes warmer I would send the Sock home. You could also go with a net-less hammock but personally I like protection from the bugs. A sock or a hammock with a built in weathershield is huge when it's cold. It can make a 20 degree +- difference inside the hammock. I like the above st up because you can send the sock home when you don't need it.

There are other hammocks that offer more luxury but for long distance hiking this would be a great compromise between luxury and light weight. I used the Dream Hammocks Dangerbird during my AT hike because the Darien wasn't available then. I plan on buying a Darien myself.

Miguel

Cozy
11-02-2012, 13:47
I am glad you are bringing this up because I too am exploring the possibility of thru hiking with a hammock versus my MSR Nook tent.

What I found I like about Warbonet BB 1.1 double is that it provides a slot for my pad. The HH doesn't have this built in, although they offer a winterized solution that attaches to the hammock.

I found out today that Warbonet offers a "mirror image version" modification of their footbox/shelf (instead of it being on the right side, it's on the left) for $15. Perhaps someone can explain the importance/advantage of the footbox since the HH doesn't have one.

HH does include a tarp with their price which Warbonet does not. I've read that the tarp that HH provides with their hammocks are too small. I'd like to have a tarp that I could enclose for bad weather, warm, and privacy (changing clothes, etc.), which Warbonet makes with doors or a cottage business can sew on. I plan on starting my thru hike in mid-April so perhaps that may make a difference in the type/size of a tarp for hanging. I'd like to hear what others have to say about tarp size and tarp shape for a hammock hanging.

Thanks.

JaxHiker
11-02-2012, 14:17
I'd get a Switchback or Light Hiker from Tree To Trail Gear. I tried the former and loved it so much I bought the latter. It's the same hammock only slightly shorter and no spreader bars for the netting so you lose some weight. Very nice DL hammock. It's especially nice if you have 2QZQ do the zipper mod on it so you can get the netting out of the way instead of just rolling it up to the ridgeline.

Like K_K I tried the BB and didn't care for it. Nice to know they offer the mirror because that was one of my gripes. I didn't spend a lot of time in it so I probably could've figured it out. I've been very happy with my Light Hiker, though. I use it while my Hennessy Explorer Ultralight sits as a spare. I also use it more than my bridge hammock. I recently purchased a Grand Trunk UL but it's too short. I'll be picking up a BIAS Weight Weenie Micro soon. I think the extra 2' will make a world of difference.

I highly recommend a larger tarp if you go the Hennessy route. Theirs keeps you dry. That's about it. Forget about sitting outside your hammock in a downpour to cook or just sit around. There's no room for that. I love my MacCat Deluxe but I'm also using a larger JRB 11x10 with the bridge and I have a new Toxaway hex tarp.

l84toff
11-02-2012, 22:23
With a hammock that can be accessed from both sides, you have less problems when they stretch out over time. If one side stretches out, you use the other side to even things out. With a WarBonnett, once the entry side stretches, it's not as comfortable and becomes less comfortable the more you use it. I know this, because I used one for a couple years.

That's quite interesting. I've not heard that before, seems I have some more reading at HammockForums to do. I wonder if you get the same amount of stretch with a double?

@Cozy - Footbox is supposed to make it more comfy, you don't get any pressure on your feet/legs from being pressed up against the side of the stiff fabric. To be honest I still get bothered a bit by this even in the BB, I will say that it makes the interior significantly roomier feeling. Often I can shove my TQ down into the footbox when I don't want it on me. I think I remember Shug on HF say that he sleeps in a BB the opposite way (feet on the left side) and uses the footbox as an additional shelf.

Dr. Professor
11-03-2012, 00:04
Cozy,

The footbox is supposed to allow you to lie flatter in the blackbird. I like it for a couple of reasons:

1) I am comfortable lying diagonal with my feet in the box (the intended and flatest position) as well as lying straight in the hammock. This means I can shift between two positions that are comfortable for me. I like being able to shift.

2) I can kick off extra top quilt into it if I'm hot.

As for the tarp, you can use all sorts of tarps with the blackbird as the tarp is a completely separate item. At 10 oz, I've been happy with the edge tarp. I hang the tarp tight over the hammock in bad weather (actually, in bad weather the tarp goes up first and comes down last, I adjust as necessary while hanging the hammock). As long as I'm careful to make sure water can't run down the ridgeline, this has worked for me. As for privacy, I can change in the hammock but not outside of it when using the edge tarp.

I like hiking in the rain, and don't try to sit out downpours. If you're not like me and don't mind the extra weight, you may want a bigger tarp.

chiefduffy
11-03-2012, 06:15
With a WarBonnett, once the entry side stretches, it's not as comfortable and becomes less comfortable the more you use it. I know this, because I used one for a couple years.

I have never heard of this, have hundreds of nights in my WarbonnettBB. Bear bag hanger, were you close to the rated weight? I'm very interested.

Grits
11-03-2012, 06:59
Warbonnet Blackbird. Why well 25 oz and I get a good nights sleep anywhere. With 20 deg underquilt & top quilt 4 season tarp and a sock I am still at 6 lbs so with + 3 lbs on my pack that will put my big 4 base weight at 9lbs for winter use. In the summer I can lightn the load and sleep well.

Dr. Professor
11-03-2012, 08:55
Let me add one more advantage to the blackbird footbox -- not only can extra quilt be kicked into it when too hot; the converse is also true and is more common. I frequently start with my top quilt partially kicked into the box early in the night. I then pull up more top quilt as needed as the night gets cooler.

Hairbear
11-03-2012, 09:59
i came down the same road thankfully i am finaly done with the search for the right hammock for me.the warbonnet ridge runner is a very confy hammock

Cozy
11-03-2012, 10:00
Cozy,

The footbox is supposed to allow you to lie flatter in the blackbird. I like it for a couple of reasons:

1) I am comfortable lying diagonal with my feet in the box (the intended and flatest position) as well as lying straight in the hammock. This means I can shift between two positions that are comfortable for me. I like being able to shift.

2) I can kick off extra top quilt into it if I'm hot.

As for the tarp, you can use all sorts of tarps with the blackbird as the tarp is a completely separate item. At 10 oz, I've been happy with the edge tarp. I hang the tarp tight over the hammock in bad weather (actually, in bad weather the tarp goes up first and comes down last, I adjust as necessary while hanging the hammock). As long as I'm careful to make sure water can't run down the ridgeline, this has worked for me. As for privacy, I can change in the hammock but not outside of it when using the edge tarp.

I like hiking in the rain, and don't try to sit out downpours. If you're not like me and don't mind the extra weight, you may want a bigger tarp.

Thanks for the clarification. I ordered the BB 1.1 double layer and will try out the system when it comes in. I saw that doors for the Edge Tarp can be ordered (or can be added on by a cottage manufacturer). What is your opinion on using the doors on the Edge tarp? (1) Will it be too cramped for 1 person? (2) Will the tarp/doors come to the ground (simulating a tent) and provide enough standing room (I'm 5'3") or do I need to go with a larger tarp? I'm not looking to host a bunch a people under my tarp but would like the privacy a tent provides for changing clothes, cleaning myself up, etc. as well as the added warmth. Thanks for your help!

kayak karl
11-03-2012, 10:25
I own a WB superfly (doors are sewn on. 2008) great tarp, but was too heavy to backpack with. settled on a 11' - 8'8" cuben tarp by z-pack (7 oz)

the superfly is blue in background.
as you can see you can still close corners like doors on tarp.

scree
11-03-2012, 13:19
It's been said, but I'll say it again. Anything Warbonnet that suits you. You'll appreciate the American quality, especially given that the competition (HH) has farmed manufacturing out to China.

kayak karl
11-03-2012, 13:38
It's been said, but I'll say it again. Anything Warbonnet that suits you. You'll appreciate the American quality, especially given that the competition (HH) has farmed manufacturing out to China.you're probably right, but Warbonnnet, though well made is not keeping up with the market. their gear is heavy! a lot of new (USA) cottage businesses are cutting into WB's share of the market with lighter gear. the reason so many people push WB is that's all they know. so to them, it's the BEST.

Dr. Professor
11-03-2012, 14:17
Cozy,

While the edge has worked well for me, the edge makes little sense if you know you will use doors -- just get a tarp with doors sewn on. The tarp that Kayak Karl uses looks sweet, is bigger than the edge, is lighter than the edge, and has doors sewn on. The edge is much cheaper. His tarp is much better.

Cozy
11-03-2012, 19:01
I own a WB superfly (doors are sewn on. 2008) great tarp, but was too heavy to backpack with. settled on a 11' - 8'8" cuben tarp by z-pack (7 oz)

Thank you for taking the time to post the pics. It helps to get a visual!

Cozy
11-03-2012, 19:10
Cozy,

While the edge has worked well for me, the edge makes little sense if you know you will use doors -- just get a tarp with doors sewn on. The tarp that Kayak Karl uses looks sweet, is bigger than the edge, is lighter than the edge, and has doors sewn on. The edge is much cheaper. His tarp is much better.

I appreciate your opinion. I will look into getting a tarp with the doors. ZPacks will be too expensive for my purse though.

JaxHiker
11-03-2012, 20:15
imho the Blackbird is the iPhone of the hammock world. :)

kayak karl
11-03-2012, 20:16
I appreciate your opinion. I will look into getting a tarp with the doors. ZPacks will be too expensive for my purse though.
my tarp does not have doors. it's just the corners pulled in. a 5 point tie-outs on the 11' side helps. any 11' by 9 or 10' tarp will work this way without carrying the extra weight of door. just my thoughts:)

l84toff
11-03-2012, 20:20
imho the Blackbird is the iPhone of the hammock world. :)

I really hope Brandon hasn't farmed out his operation to China...

Dr. Professor
11-03-2012, 20:37
Karl: I thought about my mistake as soon as I posted; I should have corrected myself. Thanks for the clarification. Your tarp is sweet; I'd pick it up but I'm currently looking to spend my money on rain gear. Even if I find gear, something like the mammut felstrum half zip or some such should be enough spending for the immediate future.

Cozy: I love the blackbird but don't pretend to have a comprehensive knowledge of the hammock market. There may be some small maker out there that I would like better. I do think you'll be very pleased with the blackbird though. As for the tarp, the edge is fine for me for now. For you, I'd recommend looking for something with sewn on doors or corners that can be folded in like Karl's. I don't know what the right answer for you is, but at least I can assure you that anything as large as the edge or larger should work well in terms of weather protection. All else being equal, lighter is better. Karl paid for the light weight. For a few more ounces, you should be able to find something that will work for you. Good luck!

gunner76
11-03-2012, 20:52
you have less problems when they stretch out over time

Then My BB should be streached out of shape and it is not and I have been using it for about 3 years now. This has never been reported on hammock forums as a problem and believe me, if there is an issue with a hammock or other product, folks on the forum are not afraid to say something

Only being able to enter on one side is not than big of a limitation...do you plan to get in and out of both side at the same time :)? That storage shelf is a very nice feature.

Brandon at Warbonnet recommends that if do do go to ground with the hammock that you use a ground cloth of some type (tyvek is very light weight) to protect the hammock fabric.

I use the BB double layer as it allows me the option to use a pad and the double layers help keep the pad from shifiting ( I use to use a Wallyworld 24"+ wide blue foam pad before I switched to UQ's ) and keeps the skeeters from being able to bite thru the fabric. I can throw the bug net over the ridge line and use the hammock as a chair.

I own a variety of hammocks and I keep going back to my BB's for overnights on the trail.

prain4u
11-03-2012, 20:55

Great post and pictures....

I hear mixed reports regarding the durability of cuben. Some people swear by it and love it. Others people say that it wears out and tears easily and tents, tarps or packs made from cuben usually do not last the duration of an entire thru hike. What is your opinion? (Other people please feel free to chime in as well).

It appears from the pictures that you have your cuben tarp hung over a ridgeline rope or cord. Does the rope/cord rub and wear on the cuben fabric and cause any tears or leaks?

Thanks!

scree
11-04-2012, 13:21
you're probably right, but Warbonnnet, though well made is not keeping up with the market. their gear is heavy! a lot of new (USA) cottage businesses are cutting into WB's share of the market with lighter gear. the reason so many people push WB is that's all they know. so to them, it's the BEST.

I'd try an alternative if I found one that met my needs, but so far the smaller manufacturers use lighter weight materials that I don't trust. Most have relatively low weight limits, e.g., 150-200 pounds. It's notable that I use Warbonnet's thickest and heaviest hammock - the 1.7oz double layer which has a weight capacity of 400 pounds. I can pretty much store whatever I can carry in the hammock without worrying about it. I'm fairly tall and never weigh less than 220 or more than 240 so I could use lighter material but 1) I don't want it to stretch as much over time and 2) I don't really trust lighter materials not to abrade or fail in the middle of the night. After many nights in this one it's more or less in the same shape it's always been and I like that dependability.

l84toff
11-04-2012, 13:59
Great post and pictures....

I hear mixed reports regarding the durability of cuben. Some people swear by it and love it. Others people say that it wears out and tears easily and tents, tarps or packs made from cuben usually do not last the duration of an entire thru hike. What is your opinion? (Other people please feel free to chime in as well).

It appears from the pictures that you have your cuben tarp hung over a ridgeline rope or cord. Does the rope/cord rub and wear on the cuben fabric and cause any tears or leaks?

Thanks!

A cuben tarp is definitely on my wish list. In fact I'm thinking of selling both my tarps and grabbing a cuben tarp with doors already on, for a thru, this would be my tarp. Cheap? No. The Superfly is a great tarp and perfect for winter, lots of protection and privacy but it is heavy, too heavy for a long hike. I also have a Tadpole and very much like this tarp, advertised at 11.5oz, I don't recall how much mine weighs including all tie outs but it is about half the weight of the SF. Now the cuben (http://www.hammockgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22&products_id=21) would be 6.5oz, so less than a 3rd of the SF and all the same coverage. The way I see it is I've already spent over $240 for both those tarps, for an extra $60 I could have the cuben. Another benefit to cuben is that there is no stretch to the tarp so I could get rid of line tensioners (http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/self-tensioning-lines/) and save even more weight here.

There are lots of ways to hang a tarp. You can hang a ridgeline and hang it over top of the ridgeline, you can attach your ridgeline to the ends of the tarp (this is the way I have mine set up - benefit as I see it is weight savings), you can also hang a ridgeline and hang your tarp under the ridgeline, sounds weird maybe. Both 1 & 3 offer better adjustability at a small weight gain. I've not heard of wear issues from hanging it over the RL but then I also don't own one and can't speak from experience.

There are some really good videos on YT, just look up Shug, grab some popcorn and watch all his instructional videos, really worth while. He goes over cuben tarps also.

I realize your original post was about hammocks, but I would seriously consider spending the $ on a cuben fibre tarp for a thru. I realize it's a compromise between weight/comfort/$

JaxHiker
11-04-2012, 14:46
I was referring more to the cult following rather than the origin of manufacture. ;)

l84toff
11-04-2012, 15:12
I was referring more to the cult following rather than the origin of manufacture. ;)

No worries, I knew what you meant. :D

Tinker
11-04-2012, 20:09
Something like the one to the left here. It's a basic Byer hammock with the parachute multi-cord ends removed and replaced with a loop of 6mm climbing accessory cord run through each end hem. A carabiner at each end completes the setup. In cold weather I leave the bug net (Eno) at home and save a pound. The bug net gives me extra room to sit up and swing my legs over the side of the hammock without getting eaten alive (the netting is sprayed with permethrin and reinforced with deet on very bad days). Since my bag surrounds the hammock, I don't need an over/under quilt set.
A note: if the bag hangs much below the bottom of the hammock, cold spots will form, just like an underquilt (but the ease of use can't be beaten).

Cadenza
11-04-2012, 21:10
Another vote for Clark's. (I have three different models.)
I like being able to enter from either side. It offers more hanging options with a view.
Also, the pockets underneath are the best system yet for storing gear. I like to put my pants in the pockets where they are within easy reach.

I have a Warbonnet Blackbird. It's well made,.....and lighter.
But the single side entry limits hang options in a big way.
It's also hard to see out of the hammock, especially on the shelf side.
The shelf is a handy place for stashing a flashlight and a pistol, but that's it's only attribute.

If I could only have one, and I was planning an AT thru,....I'd take the Tropical II/Ultralight and a Hammockgear cuben fiber tarp.

zac39452
11-04-2012, 23:53
I have an eno double nest and love it!!! I'm considering getting an eno reactor just for the ease of using a sleeping pad in it. This hammocks definetly not for anyone who sleeps on their stomach though!

TheYoungOne
11-05-2012, 14:59
I have an ENO Double and Single Nest, and I have considered a Blackbird and a Hennessy, but my next purchase will be.....

A Claytor Mosquito Jungle Hammock.

Its $150, is double layered so you can use a pad, and can be used on the ground as a one man shelter if there are no trees around. Its also comes in a camo pattern that is good for steath camping and to scare away hippie rift raft.

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/junglehammock.html

1azarus
11-05-2012, 17:26
I would probably get this hammock because it has a built in bug net and only weighs 12.85 ounces.

http://www.dream-hammock.com/shop.html#!/~/product/category=3834990&id=16320652

I would then buy a travel sock from Warbonnet Hammocks and use it when it's cold. When it becomes warmer I would send the Sock home. You could also go with a net-less hammock but personally I like protection from the bugs. A sock or a hammock with a built in weathershield is huge when it's cold. It can make a 20 degree +- difference inside the hammock. I like the above st up because you can send the sock home when you don't need it.

There are other hammocks that offer more luxury but for long distance hiking this would be a great compromise between luxury and light weight. I used the Dream Hammocks Dangerbird during my AT hike because the Darien wasn't available then. I plan on buying a Darien myself.

Miguel

I think this is great advice... I do prefer a net-less hammock myself, so would opt for a separate net AND sock -- use the net for a while, use the sock for a while, and use nothing for a while. lightest option...

bannerstone
11-06-2012, 10:42
I think this is great advice... I do prefer a net-less hammock myself, so would opt for a separate net AND sock -- use the net for a while, use the sock for a while, and use nothing for a while. lightest option...

Give a little closer look to the Dangerbird http://www.dream-hammock.com/shop.html#!/~/category/id=3834992&offset=0&sort=normal

Same manufacturer except it has both a bugnet and a top cover and a very inovative stow away design at the head & foot ends which allows entry from either side of the hammock. I think it would make an excellent bivy for either hot or cold conditions. Very likely to be my next hammock.

David

Tom Murphy
11-06-2012, 12:16
JRB BMBH with the HR and ORM quilts

goheelz
11-08-2012, 20:04
I just recently picked up a wilderness logistics night owl to replace my trek light. It has the same length, but has a double layer for the pad. It has a set up for footbox that you can adjust on either side. Very well made hammoc and it comes with whoopies slings as well.

Old Curmudgeon
11-09-2012, 11:03
I suggest you consider a Wilderness Logics Lite Owl, which is a double-layer hammock that will allow you to use your pad. I have two Blackbirds (regular and lefty), and they're great, but for cold weather camping, where a bug net is not needed, the Lite Owl is my first choice. It's a foot longer than many hammocks and the ability to create a footbox on either side (and corresponding headbox if you like) allows you to lay really flat and comfortably. I sometimes use a pad instead of a quilt, but even when I'm not using a pad or quilt, I prefer the double layer, and I don't mind carrying a little extra weight. Marty at Wilderness Logics is a great guy and happily will answer any questions you may have. Good luck with your selection.

msupple
11-09-2012, 12:19
[QUOTE=bannerstone;1358765]Give a little closer look to the Dangerbird http://www.dream-hammock.com/shop.html#!/~/category/id=3834992&offset=0&sort=normal

Same manufacturer except it has both a bugnet and a top cover and a very inovative stow away design at the head & foot ends which allows entry from either side of the hammock. I think it would make an excellent bivy for either hot or cold conditions. Very likely to be my next hammock.

David[/QUOTE

I used this hammock on my AT hike and loved it. For all the weather protection it offers, it's still pretty light weight. I ESPECIALLY liked the weather shield when it dropped into the low twenties and the wind was howling in the Smokies. Oh yeah...did I mention the snow, sleet and rain? With the weathershield zipped up I felt no wind and the temp was about twenty degrees warmer inside.

Having said that...I plan on buying one of his new 12.85 ounce netted hammocks (Darien) and plan on using a pull on weathershield which can be sent home when you no longer need it. I always use a netted hammock. One night in the Smokies I discovered a chipmonk in my hammock even with a net. That little SOB must have snuck in there when I was setting up my hammock. I'm glad I didn't discover him during the night because he probably would have given me a heart attack!

For long distance hiking weight is critical. The Darien by Dream Hammocks gives you the best compromise between weight and protection than just about any hammock on the market today. Why carry more when you don't have to?

Cat in the Hat

burrito
11-09-2012, 14:56
i spent ten years in a clark ultra lite, then bought the wbbb 1.0dbl, then the switchback, for long distance hiking i use the blackbird , its very comfortable and the wieght savings really means a lot
of the 3 hammocks i prefer the switchback for comfort.
btw i have been sleeping in a hammock full time at home for 3years now, and the blackbird and switchback are both as comfy as my home hammocks
hope this helps
burrito

Stormstaff
11-10-2012, 09:13
I'd try an alternative if I found one that met my needs, but so far the smaller manufacturers use lighter weight materials that I don't trust. Most have relatively low weight limits, e.g., 150-200 pounds. It's notable that I use Warbonnet's thickest and heaviest hammock - the 1.7oz double layer which has a weight capacity of 400 pounds. I can pretty much store whatever I can carry in the hammock without worrying about it. I'm fairly tall and never weigh less than 220 or more than 240 so I could use lighter material but 1) I don't want it to stretch as much over time and 2) I don't really trust lighter materials not to abrade or fail in the middle of the night. After many nights in this one it's more or less in the same shape it's always been and I like that dependability.

I'd surely check out Dream Hammocks. Lots of different fabrics and Randy seems to be adding more and more.

To the OP:

I'll throw my vote in for Dream Hammocks also. Give Papasmurf (Randy) a holler over there and tell him what you're looking for. It's a great guy, does awesome work and does a lot of customizing also.

Lyle
11-10-2012, 09:50
I still use a Speer when I hammock. A bit heavy, but OHHH so comfortable. SPE works great. Nice down PeaPod for those colder nights. I find their knot-less, buckle-less, biner-less suspension super easy to use.

UnfamousK
03-18-2013, 14:41
First hammock was ENO single.....thinking of purschasing a Clark's nx-250 for winter camping.....its a bit heavy...but right now im using a Kelty 2 person Mesa tent with Z-lite pad and synthetic 30* bag with a liner for 30* temps.....so its still saving me weight, adding comfort and versatility my tent doesnt (from PA, soft tent sites are hard to find)

JaxHiker
03-18-2013, 18:44
My current favorite is the Lite Owl.

Sent from my SkyRaider Thunderbolt.

gunner76
03-18-2013, 20:48

Brandon (Warbonnet) did explore the possiblilty of having his stuff made in China a few years back and did have a few things made over there ( I got one of his China Made Big Mamajamba tarps, excellent quaility ). However due to the complaints he received (not due to the quaility) about having his stuff made in China, he gave up on it and all his stuff is made in USA

WILLIAM HAYES
03-18-2013, 22:32
Warbonnet Double Bottom I have tried ever hammock made todate and this is the best in my judgement you can also have the entrance sewn together on your hennessey I did and also added a zipper on the other side Check out Hammock forums for some good advice on hammocks, Personally I would never use a tent again. best sleep I have ever had on the trail has been in a hammock

2014hopeful
03-19-2013, 21:33
I won't lie, I didn't read thru the whole post but someone mentioned Dream Hammocks to me the other day. They seem sweet, especially the DANGERBIRRRRD. Don't you just want to sleep in something called the DANGERBIRRRRD? Also competitively priced and have cool features.

Dogwood
03-19-2013, 21:59
Liking what I've seen through the internet, with the DREAM Darien UL. Do some slight mods to the stock version by throwing in a cuben rain fly. Still not fully informed about it yet so not ready to pull the trigger. Name says much of the reason why. Keep my HH Asym UL side zip w/mods which drops the wt down a bit for different conditions.

msupple
03-19-2013, 22:19
Liking what I've seen through the internet, with the DREAM Darien UL. Do some slight mods to the stock version by throwing in a cuben rain fly. Still not fully informed about it yet so not ready to pull the trigger. Name says much of the reason why. Keep my HH Asym UL side zip w/mods which drops the wt down a bit for different conditions.

I do believe the Darien UL is the lightest zippered hammock out there. It's pretty sweet. You could also buy a seperate weathershied for it for when it's really cold.

Cat in the Hat

Dogwood
03-19-2013, 22:38
Msupple, see it, experience it in person for yourself yet? Call me Thomas, but I like seeing things like this set up and trying them out and asking some but, what if, and and type questions BEFORE going all in. I'm not the most avid fan of long distances with an UL hiking philosophy in COLD/winter like conditions with my shelter being a hammock though. Do you feel there is anything else might I need to know about it?

msupple
03-20-2013, 08:59
Msupple, see it, experience it in person for yourself yet? Call me Thomas, but I like seeing things like this set up and trying them out and asking some but, what if, and and type questions BEFORE going all in. I'm not the most avid fan of long distances with an UL hiking philosophy in COLD/winter like conditions with my shelter being a hammock though. Do you feel there is anything else might I need to know about it?

Hey Thomas
The lightness to which I refer is about the hammock only. All the stuff that's going to keep you warm will be the same. Of course some cut corners there but I'm not one of them. I carry a full length and width air mattress or a full length UQ. For me the best place to cut weight is with the hammock and tarp. I hate being cold and will not sacrifice in that area. I have not tried the Darien UL but have read rave reviews. I did use his Dangerbird last year on the AT so I can attest to the quality and workmanship which in my opinion is impeccable.There are folks over on hammock forums that own them and could give you a first hand report. Also, if you bought one and didn't care for it you could recoup nearly all your money on a resale. I've actually seen people pay full price for a used hammock because they didn't want to wait for it to be made. BTW...there are many group hammock gatherings around the U.S. Check on Hammock Forums. Perhaps you could attend one and try one out. Good luck with your choice.

Cat in the Hat

Dogwood
03-20-2013, 16:06
Hey, Ms apple, I mean Msupple. ;) Thanks for the ideas.