PDA

View Full Version : Snow report in SNP

Tim Causa
11-02-2012, 09:46
I'm looking to head out to shenandoah national park this weekend to get some sunrise shots from the top of mary's rock. I know that Sandy dropped a bunch of snow in the area. Weather should be OK this weekend, but I can't find any reports for how much snow is still on the trail. I have all the gear I need either way, but I have a friend who wants to learn landscape photography and she wants to come along. If there is still snow on the ground, I don't want the liability of bringing her along as I only have one pair of Gaiters, not sure about her boot situation, etc.

Anyone know what the snow situation is on the AT in SNP near Panaroma gap?

Damaged
11-02-2012, 11:37
Latest post on their facebook page says that the Central and Southern Sections of Skyline Drive are open. The Northen Section is only open from Front Royal to Dickey Ridge with hopes to have it completely open by the end of today. There is snow on the trails and the backcountry is open, but they are warning people to take extra care. Sandy dumped about a foot of snow at Thorton Gap. Temperatures since then have been in the mid to high 40s during the day and dipping down into the low to mid 30s at night, so it is a safe bet that there is still a bit of snow on the trails.

Damaged
11-02-2012, 12:54
SNP has just updated their Facebook page... Skyline drive is now open all the way through.

Creek Dancer
11-02-2012, 13:46
They close Skyline Drive with the slightest bit of frozen precipitation, so it's a good idea to call the hotline right before you get in the car to head up there. This doesn't work all the time, however. A couple of times, they closed the road during the two hour drive to get there. I made the best of it though. I just parked at the entrance station and did a hike from that point.