PDA

View Full Version : Trails with Cliffs and Rocky Peaks?

Peakhunter
11-02-2012, 11:47
I'm interested in places like Charlies Bunion,Mt. Leconte Cliff Tops, Chimney tops, Jump Off and really any other trail similar to those with a rocky summit, ledge or cliff, i'm not looking for anything technical but I do like it a little dangerous! I listed mostly GSMNP places i'm familiar with because I live close by but I'm open to other areas. I know there are many places like this, i'm just not familiar with them yet and crave places like that. Any Help?

Tennessee Viking
11-02-2012, 12:55
If you are seeking just cliff views then the AT in NE Tennessee has some. There is Little Rock Knob has some small cliffs near Hughes Gap. Roan Mountain has a few side trails to cliffs. Grassy Ridge, Roan High Bluff and a couple unlisted views. Jones Falls and nearby Elk Falls. There is a unmarked side trail above the steps near Laurel Falls that will take you to a narrow out cropping. Pond Mtn has some small cliffs. Exposed trail near Viking Mtn and CampCreek Bald.

Other trails in the Cherokee Forest. Red Fork Falls and Twisting Falls are unofficial trails but very popular. Shinbone Trail is a long trail that sits high above the Nolichucky Gorge. Margarette Falls Trail passes by the base of a sheer cliff near the falls. Clark Creek Trail goes to the base of Buckeye Falls a 475' sheer cliff waterfall. Other than that, you probably want to check the Cumberland Trail corridor. Lots of cliffs through there.

For North Carolina, you probably want to check Hanging Rock, Pilot Mtn, Stone Mtn, Grandfather, Linville Gorge, Whiteside.

The Solemates
11-02-2012, 13:01
sawtooths, idaho

grateful 2
11-02-2012, 13:56
Tinker cliffs, McAfee Knob, Dragons Tooth, in VA

Odd Man Out
11-02-2012, 14:32
Tinker cliffs, McAfee Knob, Dragons Tooth, in VA

Grand Canyon?

Cookerhiker
11-02-2012, 14:51
Most of the AT in Maine, especially the southwestern most 100 miles entails ascents above treeline. The ascents (and descents) are strenuous but the rewards on top are plentiful on sunny days. Typically, you're hiking up a rocky trail but the rocks are flat and smooth on top.

You'd also like the ascents up Mt. Abraham and Camels Hump on the Long Trail on Vermont north of where the AT splits off.

And then there's Mt. Moosilauke in NH.

Peakhunter
11-02-2012, 15:26
Thanks! Theses alone are enough to keep me busy for some years to come.

peakbagger
11-02-2012, 16:35
For the east coast is hard to beat the Whites, most of Maine or the Adirondacks

joshuasdad
11-02-2012, 16:45
Jug End to Lionshead over Everett, Race, and Bear Mountains in MA/CT has some pretty good cliffs, rocky summits, and some tough climbing (especially SOBO up Bear). Doing this in winter makes it even more interesting...microspikes were a must...

Deadeye
11-02-2012, 18:47
Get to the Adirondacks! Many of the peaks there have long landslides, some covered with rubble, some very clean. Slide climbing is almost a separate sport in the 'Daks.

Chekc out these forums
http://adkhighpeaks.com/
for loads of info. Some of the best slides are on Mt. Colden - both the dike and the slide on the South face are classisc routes.

Mountain Mike
11-02-2012, 21:51
Albert Mt. Back side of Cheoh bald

Peakhunter
11-04-2012, 17:39
Thanks everyone!

jakedatc
11-07-2012, 18:50
Jug End to Lionshead over Everett, Race, and Bear Mountains in MA/CT has some pretty good cliffs, rocky summits, and some tough climbing (especially SOBO up Bear). Doing this in winter makes it even more interesting...microspikes were a must...

if you like PUDs....

try Zeacliff trail, Kinsmans, Carters, Wildcats, Cannon, Owls head, Tripyramids, Bonds... if you want rocks and steeps. rocky summits... the entire Presi range.

Zipper
11-08-2012, 01:01
As folks have said, southern Maine will amaze you. I remember so many times looking down some rock face wondering how I was going to deal with it. I turned around like Spider Man a lot after tossing my poles down what seemed like multiple stories. Kinsmen (in NH) stood out too and I hiked them just before sunset so there wasn't a soul around. I remember I would keep thinking, "I need to be careful - I could really hurt myself here and no one would find me until tomorrow morning! Crazy.

Silent Stroll
05-28-2013, 02:42
Red River Gorge in KY is the best I've seen so far.

Cookerhiker
05-28-2013, 06:44

Agree - lots of cool rock scrambles, several quite challenging.

Alleghanian Orogeny
05-31-2013, 11:21
Blackstack Cliffs, immediately nobo from Camp Creek Bald, which is nobo from Allen Gap, near Hot Springs. Great views to the west-northwest across the Tennessee Valley and Ridge and west-southwest to the French Broad River valley.

AO

Dogwood
05-31-2013, 13:29
Thanks everyone. Lots of places mentioned that I've written down to check on further.

I'm with you PeakHunter. This is some of my favorite type of hiking too. East coast has plenty of places to do this kind of hiking but the most extensive as far as miles above treeline and experiencing sharp peaks is in the west and mid west IMHO. Sierras, Cascades, Rockies, etc. Even AZ, UT, NM, etc in desert areas has this type of hiking. If you want peaks, cliffs, being on the ridgeline etc get Jonathan Ley's CDT Colorado map set and hike the CDT through CO taking higher elev. alternate routes. You can literally get 100 -200 miles of it. Consider doing the Sierra High Route too. Love it!

Mr. Bumpy
05-31-2013, 15:33
Try the Panthertown Valley in Nantahala NF.

Malto
05-31-2013, 18:20
Thanks everyone. Lots of places mentioned that I've written down to check on further.

I'm with you PeakHunter. This is some of my favorite type of hiking too. East coast has plenty of places to do this kind of hiking but the most extensive as far as miles above treeline and experiencing sharp peaks is in the west and mid west IMHO. Sierras, Cascades, Rockies, etc. Even AZ, UT, NM, etc in desert areas has this type of hiking. If you want peaks, cliffs, being on the ridgeline etc get Jonathan Ley's CDT Colorado map set and hike the CDT through CO taking higher elev. alternate routes. You can literally get 100 -200 miles of it. Consider doing the Sierra High Route too. Love it!

Second the High Route. You wouldn't find mile for mile more scrambling than the SHR.

Peakhunter
06-11-2013, 19:51
Thanks all the suggestions! I may be planning a little trip somewhere in the Yosimite NP or Zion NP areas.

Another Kevin
06-11-2013, 21:12

Yes indeed: I did the stretch from the MA/CT state line to Jug End at the start of March and was glad I was wearing spikes. Although I really regretted having left my snowshoes in my car. Even though the snow was no more than boot-deep most places, it drifted on the ridges, and postholing in knee-deep drifts is exhausting.

Over on the other side of the Hudson, the Catsills also have some cool cliffs. The Escarpment Trail/Long Path, the Devil's Path and the Burroughs Range Trail all offer spectacular cliff views and interesting rock scrambles. Or try one of the trailless peaks and find a way up the ledges without following blazes!

Cookerhiker
06-12-2013, 10:01

If/when you want someplace closer to home, there are some great places here. In particular, Indian Staircase and CloudSplitter are two within 2 miles of each other which require getting on all fours in places. I recently did a day hike there with a group. Some people used a rope but I crawled. The Gorge draws rock climbers from everywhere.

And even closer to you is Maude's Crack (http://www.thebackpacker.com/pictures/pic/x03rjq4dyzw.php) in the Big South Fork (http://www.nps.gov/biso/index.htm).

dmax
06-12-2013, 10:23
Pickens Nose, close to Albert Mt.

DaveSail
06-12-2013, 10:47
Not on the AT , but near . Just down from the summit is Tuckermans Ravine . About a 1000 foot drop .
I almost slid over it , so that was scary . DVW

Venchka
06-12-2013, 12:55
On your way to or from Yosemite or Zion, Cirque of the Towers in the Bridger Wilderness of Wyoming offers countless hours of scrambling in a stark, austere wonderland of granite.

http://www.visitpinedale.org/attractions/destinations/cirque-of-the-towers.html

Enjoy!

Wayne

Venchka
06-12-2013, 12:58
Another link...

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/cirque-of-the-towers/105826735

Wayne

Yankee15
08-27-2015, 18:56
Southern Maine