PDA

View Full Version : New Hiker Hostel in Hanover

Stray Cat
05-17-2005, 09:29
Howdy Yall,:welcome
Finally!!! There is a place to stay off the trail in Hanover, NH. Since the Dartmouth frat houses and Panarchy stop taking in hikers, there are few choices near Hanover for lodging (Hanover Inn $300 per night). So, Stray Kat '96 has opened the 'AT Hillton, Hanover'. A full service hostel with beds, shower, fridge, microwave, tv, movies, radio, BBQ grill, snacks, pizza, gear, supplies, fuel and store nearby. Shuttles to outfitters, theatres, library, massage, club with pool and hot tub, hospital and more. $45 per night includes shuttle to and from the trailhead. Call Stray Kat at 603-252-8295 for reservations and info. Let me know how I can help.

TJ aka Teej
05-17-2005, 10:22
Great news, Stray Cat! More info, please - directions from the Trail, address, maildrops?, reservations?, open and close dates, etc - and we'll get you listed in the ALDHA Companion Updates section on the ATC website!

julie
05-17-2005, 13:49
I'm so darn happy about this I can't decide whether to use the dancing banana, the clapping guy, the sun, or the spinning smiley face.

I'm just going to use them all.

:jump :banana :clap :sun

THANKS STRAY CAT (or Kat)!!

It's true the situation with the Greek houses in Hanover is mercurial. They decide independently whether to take in hikers or not, and sometimes change their minds several times in the course of one hiker season (unfortunately, sometimes because of the behavior of just a couple of bad eggs). Just FYI - if people do want to see what the housing situation is in Hanover the best source of current info is the hiker grapevine and the shelter logs just north and south of here.

Please send me any info on the hostel and I'm happy to post it here in Robinson Hall for the edification of all.

I just have to say that dancing banana is cracking me up.

Julie
Dartmouth Outing Club
PO Box 9
Hanover NH 03755

DavidNH
05-17-2005, 20:14
Sounds wonderful! Where in Hanover is this hostel? I know the town fairly well!

Howdy Yall,:welcome
Finally!!! There is a place to stay off the trail in Hanover, NH. Since the Dartmouth frat houses and Panarchy stop taking in hikers, there are few choices near Hanover for lodging (Hanover Inn $300 per night). So, Stray Kat '96 has opened the 'AT Hillton, Hanover'. A full service hostel with beds, shower, fridge, microwave, tv, movies, radio, BBQ grill, snacks, pizza, gear, supplies, fuel and store nearby. Shuttles to outfitters, theatres, library, massage, club with pool and hot tub, hospital and more. $45 per night includes shuttle to and from the trailhead. Call Stray Kat at 603-252-8295 for reservations and info. Let me know how I can help.

neo
05-18-2005, 11:19
i am staying at the president of http://www.jetboil.com/ house he lives near hanover nh:cool: neo

Nean
05-19-2005, 10:24
Does the 45 a night include the pizza and are dogs welcome?

Lone Wolf
05-19-2005, 10:31
$45 per night is more of a B&B rate. Pretty expensive hostel.

attroll
05-19-2005, 10:57
I agree with Wolf. $45 is not helping thru-hikers out at all.

Footslogger
05-19-2005, 10:59
Yeah ...but it's cheaper than staying in Norwich or anywhere else in Hanover, short of pitching a tent on the soccer field.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Slimer
05-19-2005, 12:05
The price may be a little on the high side, but like Footslogger said, it's the cheapest alternative in the area as far as lodging goes.It sure is a good start and I'm glad someone went forward with the idea.

bearbait2k4
05-19-2005, 12:25
Hanover was the easiest place to find a place to stay, in my opinion.

There are plenty of people in and around that town that know about hikers, know where they come from, and are happy to open their home to hikers for a night or two when they come into Hanover. And really, if you need a place to stay and can't find a kind person to help you out, the "hike" to the shelter takes like 20-30 minutes. Add to that, the awesome co-op, cheap showers at the school, free internet access and unlimited array of food choices, free bus shuttles to the next town (outfitters, Wal-Mart, etc), it almost seems silly to have a hostel up there.

Of course, with that being said, I wish the owner good luck. The price is stiff, but it seems like the cheapest deal in the area, if you actually want to pay for a little R&R.

chomp
05-19-2005, 14:04
I agree, $45 is not a hostel rate, that is for sure. But given the demographics of the area, I don't know if it would be possible to set up a $15/night hostel anywhere near the trail. I dont see most hikers using this service, but I am sure that Stray Cat will do well with the standard B&B crowd out there. Good luck!

Doctari
05-19-2005, 17:52
Still would like to know where tis.

Won't be in hanover for a few years, still things may change.

Perhaps Cat could post directions from the AT.

Best wishes on your new venture.

Doctari.

Tramper Al
05-19-2005, 22:41
Still would like to know where tis.
Won't be in hanover for a few years, still things may change.
Perhaps Cat could post directions from the AT.

I'm assuming it's quite a ways off the trail if a shuttle is needed for the library. Howe Library is about a block off the trail, behind Ben & Jerry's.

Nean
05-20-2005, 05:51
You may not be able to get a single in Hanover for 45 but if 3-4 went in couldn't a room be had in the 140-180 range? Might be nicer than a hostel too. 45 for a bed and a shower - I must be missing something!

TakeABreak
05-20-2005, 06:46
Well know that I now that I can get a sheap shower in town, I know I most likely will not stay at the new hostel, when I cam through there I could not even get anyone at the school to let me take a shower. I will just stay, just outside of town find this cheap shower place, do laundry, get my food package and fuel canister and move on. That is really all I want when I get to twon anyways.

Where's the cheap shower place at in town you people mentioned anyways, I want to highlight in my companion.

Stray Cat
05-20-2005, 11:25
I agree with Wolf. $45 is not helping thru-hikers out at all.I admit that the price is a little high. However, it does include shuttle to and from the trail. I take offense at the "not helping the hikers out at all' comment. The Hanover Inn is $300 per night, Chieftain $100 minimum, Norwich Inn $150 and the Sunset is $75 (only 1 mile out of town but no shuttle services ) Don't automatically assume that I am like Uncle Johnny and doing this to get rich. I am there to help if there is no alternative. I am willing to travel 15 miles each way to help folks in a jam. I hope there is an option in town for them all, but I am here to HELP if there is not. Last year, I had people calling me daily (I offer a shuttle) trying to find a place to stay. I gladly spent a lot of my time trying to help them.
Stray Kat

Stray Cat
05-20-2005, 11:28
Hi, I hope that all my fellow hikers are as fortunate as you to find a place to stay. It would be great if I had no takers at all. I am pretty far out of town but there to help if I can. Not doing this to make money but to help out if I can and when I am needed.
Stray Kat '96

Hanover was the easiest place to find a place to stay, in my opinion.

There are plenty of people in and around that town that know about hikers, know where they come from, and are happy to open their home to hikers for a night or two when they come into Hanover. And really, if you need a place to stay and can't find a kind person to help you out, the "hike" to the shelter takes like 20-30 minutes. Add to that, the awesome co-op, cheap showers at the school, free internet access and unlimited array of food choices, free bus shuttles to the next town (outfitters, Wal-Mart, etc), it almost seems silly to have a hostel up there.

Of course, with that being said, I wish the owner good luck. The price is stiff, but it seems like the cheapest deal in the area, if you actually want to pay for a little R&R.

Stray Cat
05-20-2005, 11:32
Hi Chomp, You are right. $45 is steep and you are also right that Hanover is not a $15 a night area. I am a ways out of town and the price includes shuttle to and from the trail. I hope that all fellow hikers can find a place to stay and shower in town but I am there to help if they can't.

Stray Kat

I agree, $45 is not a hostel rate, that is for sure. But given the demographics of the area, I don't know if it would be possible to set up a $15/night hostel anywhere near the trail. I dont see most hikers using this service, but I am sure that Stray Cat will do well with the standard B&B crowd out there. Good luck!

Jeff
05-20-2005, 11:34
Stray Cat,

You will do a great service to many hikers! Some folks don't realize the expense involved in the enterprise you are offering.

Stray Cat
05-20-2005, 11:44
You are correct. It is a ways off the trail. The shuttle is what causes the higher price. As I commented before, I truly hope that my services are not even needed. I hiked in '96 and I know what it is to budget money. I am here to help if I am needed.
Stray Kat

I'm assuming it's quite a ways off the trail if a shuttle is needed for the library. Howe Library is about a block off the trail, behind Ben & Jerry's.

Stray Cat
05-20-2005, 11:48
Hi Jeff, Thanks for the words of support. You are correct. There is a huge expense to get going. It seems as though everyone is assuming that I am doing this to make a living but I am here to help, opening up my wife's and my home, if I am needed. So many people last year were stuck for a place to stay.
Stray Cat,

You will do a great service to many hikers! Some folks don't realize the expense involved in the enterprise you are offering.

Stray Cat
05-20-2005, 11:53
Hey Nean,
You are absolutely right. I truly hope that all the hikers can make those arrangements. Hanover Inn $300, Chieftain $100, Sunset Inn $75, Norwich Inn $200. I am here if there is no alternative. The hostel is a ways from town and the shuttle to and from is included in the price.
Stray Kat

You may not be able to get a single in Hanover for 45 but if 3-4 went in couldn't a room be had in the 140-180 range? Might be nicer than a hostel too. 45 for a bed and a shower - I must be missing something!

Jack Tarlin
05-21-2005, 16:00
Maybe I've missed something here, but at least three folks have asked where you're located, how far you are from town, directions, etc.

So far I've discovered that the new hostel is "a ways" off the trail. 2 Miles? 5? 10? And since you're " a ways" off the trail, does this mean folks can go into town for shopping, meals, movies, etc. and you'll come get them, even later into the evening?

Please provide details as to location, distance from town, directions from town, full contact information (E-Mail, etc).

I think what you're doing is great, but some more information would be helpful.

Also, are we talking bunkhouse here, small cabin, private room in a house, or what? If we're talking bunkhouse, I have to agree with the folks that think $45.00 per person is a bit stiff as two folks could probably stay at either the Sunset Inn or the Chieftain Motel for about the same ammount and still have enough left over to pay for a taxi to town. At this point of the trip, there will be lots of folks who will find forty-five dollars a bit much for a night a hiker hostel. Don't get me wrong, I think what you're doing is great, and Hanover certainly needs a nice place that welcomes hikers, but the stated cost will, I'm afraid, prevent a lot of folks from staying with you.....there are hostels in Maine (Andover, Rangeley, etc.) that are 8-10 miles off the trail that provide shuttles to and from the Trailhead that charge significantly less.

Blister
05-22-2005, 15:58
I'm guessing the direction of the hostel is towards West Lebanon from the area code of the phone number. I also would like to get a location as I am planning much trail magic and shuttling for anyone who needs it on my days off. Stray Cat, if you get a chance while you are in town, stop by the Canoe Club, I am one of the managers there. I'd like to know who else is the area being hiker friendly and I also can pass on info to folks about your details. It would be nice to put a face to the name.

Blister
"Karine Kelleher"
PCT 96
AT 00

veteran
01-03-2007, 14:51
Updates: A.T. Thru-Hikers' Companion (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.810477/k.57F6/Updates_AT_ThruHikers_Companion.htm)

dre+samantha
01-03-2007, 17:21
If I don't kill my dog by then(by being one of those horrible dog owners)can sammy and I stay there? I'll chain her to the mailbox!! As far as the price...your giving people a place to stay..and thats cool. From Hanover back to Spinger that was the worst (trail) town I went through in 96. I slept in the basement of panarchy and some sobo'rzzz told me I was going to die from ingesting 500 iodine pills. Ok make it $42.89..and I'm there.:banana

Sly
01-03-2007, 17:37
Updates: A.T. Thru-Hikers' Companion (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.810477/k.57F6/Updates_AT_ThruHikers_Companion.htm)

save a click...

Page 213
Update: Hanover- New Hostel- "Tigger's Treehouse", Karen Hoffmeister, (603) 448-2341. Check for more info at the DOC, the Etna General Store, and shelter register entries north and south of Hanover. Suggested donation $5, includes shower and laundry, pet friendly, not a party place, no smoking, work for stay possible. No bunks at the moment, floor space only.

dre+samantha
01-03-2007, 17:40
save a click...

Page 213
Update: Hanover- New Hostel- "Tigger's Treehouse", Karen Hoffmeister, (603) 448-2341. Check for more info at the DOC, the Etna General Store, and shelter register entries north and south of Hanover. Suggested donation $5, includes shower and laundry, pet friendly, not a party place, no smoking, work for stay possible. No bunks at the moment, floor space only.

nice...:banana

TIGGER
12-22-2007, 18:51
Tigger's Tree House (603) 643-9213
Yes, We Will Be Taking In Folks For The 2008 Season.
Kh

minnesotasmith
12-22-2007, 19:52
Reducing services to get the rates down to hiker levels? That's 30 bucks a night, tops, and only BC the North is apparently less economically efficient than the South, where they can get hostel rates down to 20 dollars a night or less. (If you could run your hostel at Southern efficiency levels, so could charge no more than $20 a night, that would provide an even better service to hikers passing through the area.)

At 45 a night, though, I'd likely just tent or use a shelter in preference to staying there, should I throughhike again.

Lone Wolf
12-22-2007, 19:54
hostels and slackpacking are for weenies. stay in the woods

warraghiyagey
12-22-2007, 19:56
Tigger's Tree House (603) 643-9213
Yes, We Will Be Taking In Folks For The 2008 Season.
Kh
You mean I don't have to camp under the pines at the Z house anymore? Sweet.

Blissful
12-22-2007, 21:40
Great place to stay. We stayed in the motor home.

OregonHiker
12-22-2007, 22:34
$45 per night is more of a B&B rate. Pretty expensive hostel.

Let the free market decide

warraghiyagey
12-22-2007, 22:39
Let the free market decide
I'm pretty sure he knows how to decide for himself.

Almost There
12-22-2007, 22:44
I think before we all jump on the "It's too expensive" bandwagon we need more information about the accomodations. As Jack said, we don't know enough about it. Then again, I'm a section hiker for now, so I usually have plenty of money when I hike, and as a fraternity alumnus I can stay in the Sigma Nu house when I do pass through there.

OregonHiker
12-22-2007, 22:53

He's already decided:)

OregonHiker
12-22-2007, 22:56

Not referring to LW, but to the marketplace in general

Think Spring
12-24-2007, 15:10
:sun Throughout my several years I've found that one get's what they pay for,....so to speak. Hope that you do a boomin' business, Stray Cat; As for me, I hope to be callin' ya' in September or so. And thanks for taking the bull by the horn's and getting one up an' running for us. It's no longer " a dollar a mile".