PDA

View Full Version : Trail Conditions After Sandy

Carbo
11-03-2012, 05:20
Just got our power back after 5 days. This was a nasty hit to the area... words can't describe what is going on here. Any word on trail conditions in NJ-NY area?

bert304
11-03-2012, 06:57
The power turned on at 2:30 this morning.

TT2
11-04-2012, 16:07
I hiked part of Jockey Hollow National Park Wednesday. In a 2.5 mile stretch I came across 3 places where 10-20 huge trees all fell like dominoes. So, while I can't speak about the AT, what I saw was east facing slopes with mature trees suffered more, as did evergreen trees.

Blissful
11-04-2012, 21:03
Check out the Ny/NJ trail conference website. The ATC also keeps trail info update on their website

LIhikers
11-06-2012, 17:12
Since we didn't have electricity anyway, my wife and I went out to the trail this past weekend.
We're corridor monitors and hadn't yet done our fall trip, this was a good time.
While we spend most of the time in the surrounding land, we did use the trail to get from one parcel to the next as we worked our way through "our" section.
The section of trail is from a little before Graymoor Spiritual Life Center to a little after it. I was surprised at how little damage was done and I didn't see any blow-downs that blocked the trail. As for other parts of the trail, I don't have a clue.

kofritz
11-06-2012, 17:37
its great to read ya'lls queries and updates. my best wishes to you and all those similarly situated..

spycam
11-09-2012, 21:08
the trail south of the fingerboard mountain is pretty terrible in new york. it is a little better in n.j. and the last 30 miles or so of n.j. wasn`t bad at all. i rode the storm out in fingerboard shelter so i can`t speak of the trail conditions north of that. but as soon as i got to dwg nra it wasn`t bad at all. - Dig-It flip flopper GA-VA ME-VA 2012. Jimmy Danger Brooks(fb for trail friends that i didn`t get info from!)