PDA

View Full Version : How/where do they hide the moose?

DrRichardCranium
11-04-2012, 11:03
OK, how can an animal that is so huge be so hard to see?

I finally managed to see a moose during the last 4 days of my thru-hike in 2010, but I had been trying to see one ever since seeing moose turds as early as southern Vermont. And I know a lot of thru-hikers that never got to see one.

How the hell do you hide an animal that big? If they can poop on the trail throughout most of New England, why can't they put in an appearance?

I theorized that moose are multi-dimensional beings that wink into our plane of existence like a quark, pausing just long enough to poop on the trail before projecting back to their alternate universe.

WingedMonkey
11-04-2012, 11:10
Mooses Come Walking
by Arlo Guthrie

Mooses come walking over the hill
Mooses come walking, they rarely stand still
When mooses come walking they go where they will
When mooses come walking over the hill

Mooses look into your window at night
They look to the left and they look to the right
The mooses are smiling, they think it's a zoo
And that's why the mooses like looking at you

So, if you see mooses while lying in bed
It's best to just stay there pretending you're dead
The mooses will leave and you'll get the thrill
Of seeing the mooses go over the hill

©1993 Arloco Music, Inc. (ASCAP)

moytoy
11-04-2012, 11:12
It's the smell..and that's probably why they like to poop on the trail too.:)

Slo-go'en
11-04-2012, 11:37
Like most critters, they hear you coming and get out of the way. Also, our eyes are keyed to notice movement, so if they stand still, you might not see them in the woods 100 feet away. When I'm hiking, I'm mostly looking at my feet so I don't trip and fall. If something isn't moving in the woods in front of me, I'm probably not going to notice it.

BFI
11-04-2012, 16:35
You poop in the bush , they poop on the trail, they're just getting even!

bigcranky
11-04-2012, 16:40
I said the same thing about bears for years. Then I finally started seeing them on the trail.

Drybones
11-04-2012, 16:50
Mooses Come Walking
by Arlo Guthrie

Mooses come walking over the hill
Mooses come walking, they rarely stand still
When mooses come walking they go where they will
When mooses come walking over the hill

Mooses look into your window at night
They look to the left and they look to the right
The mooses are smiling, they think it's a zoo
And that's why the mooses like looking at you

So, if you see mooses while lying in bed
It's best to just stay there pretending you're dead
The mooses will leave and you'll get the thrill
Of seeing the mooses go over the hill

©1993 Arloco Music, Inc. (ASCAP)

Arlo...interest singer...my favorite...I don't want a pickle, just want to ride on my motor cicle.

Don H
11-04-2012, 16:58
I accidentally got with about 5 feet from one. It was feeding in the brush along the trail near Madison Springs Hut, I didn't see it until it heard me and popped it's head up. It turned and in a few steps it was gone from sight. Scared the heck out of me!

hikerboy57
11-04-2012, 17:03
I accidentally got with about 5 feet from one. It was feeding in the brush along the trail near Madison Springs Hut, I didn't see it until it heard me and popped it's head up. It turned and in a few steps it was gone from sight. Scared the heck out of me!
if you were up there last august i believe this is the moose. someone told me shed been around the area for quiite a while

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/8/4/8/1/dsc00692.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showimage.php?i=47861&original=1&catid=member&imageuser=28481)

hikerboy57
11-04-2012, 17:04
moose like to hide behind lichens and mushrooms and fields of diapensa

takethisbread
11-04-2012, 19:19
I think this is not uncommon. For all the many miles I've hiked on the AT, as well as hikes in National Parks, the PCT, and smaller trails, most every bear I have seen is in town. I've never seen moose on trail but I've seen them on main streets in town. The only truly exciting find was a Bobcat/lynx in New Jersey on the AT by Gren Anderson in the winter of 2010, which I fumbled with my camera and never got a pic.

Bags4266
11-04-2012, 19:46
They don't exist. They are like Unicorns made up by the folks in New Hampshire. Gnomes put the hoof prints in the mud.

Snowleopard
11-04-2012, 19:52
Here's a moose in my backyard. I believe it's the one that's been looking into my window at night.

Odd Man Out
11-04-2012, 21:09
The moose are on Isle Royale. No trouble finding them there. They hang around people to keep the wolves away. Also, I got within about 6 ft of a bull elk in Banff (right in the middle of town, actually). He was lying in some tall grass just off a path along the river. Lots of people were walking by but I was the only one who saw him. He had his chin on the ground and his rack was above my head.

Kerosene
11-04-2012, 21:57
I came within 25 yards of my first crossing the trail just south of Rangeley in mid-September, within an hour of the finish of my section hike. Unfortunately my camera was packed away, but most of his body was behind foliage. I didn't realize it was a bull moose until I clapped my hands and he turned his massive rack towards me (I realized at that point that maybe I should just stand still). I can't imagine being within 6 feet of an animal that large!

GraniteStater
11-04-2012, 22:12
uuuhhhh okay i guess i can let you in on this one.... but geez i didn't want to. the moose are way smarter than you think. way smarter than you and particularly smarter than i actually. they create head to toe camo coverings and hide out in the trees. the only way you are going to see one is if you yourself get into a tree near a bog or other related wetland before daybreak and wait for one to show up. you basically have to ambush them. they are so smart. wow good luck.

Starchild
11-05-2012, 06:09
There is a procedure, a offering for the great moose spirit that needs to be made, without that you are just following piles of moose crap around 'brown blazing' through the woods.

...or if you are driving just follow the moose tour bus :)

psyculman
11-05-2012, 06:34
Came face to face with a female, not 50' ahead of me on Howker Ridge trail near the Bear Pit last Labor day weekend. She just stood there for maybe 30 seconds, then silently disappeared off to the side in the brush, and I mean silently. I cautiously moved up to see where she went, and, she was gone. There was not much brush to obscure her departure, but, it was no use, the amimal simply dissapeared. Here is a picture of a male, taken at the parking lot on Dolly Copp Rd. at the start of Howker and the rail trail four years ago. The moose ARE out there, YOU are not, that's the story. 1800018001

Deacon
11-05-2012, 06:55
Saw Mrs. Moose taking a bath on the first day of my Long Trail hike last August.

gizzy bear
11-05-2012, 17:45
if you were up there last august i believe this is the moose. someone told me shed been around the area for quiite a while

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/8/4/8/1/dsc00692.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showimage.php?i=47861&original=1&catid=member&imageuser=28481)

she looks so sweet...was this taken from the window of the moose tour bus? did she flip the car in the back ground?? ;)

quilteresq
11-05-2012, 19:49
Actually, it has to do with their habitat. While they can be found in deep woods, they like grasses, pond vegetation, and definitely browse the branches of seedling trees, especially in winter. Not a lot of food for them in the woods, but there is shelter. So, they're not all that common on the ridges that make up the trail. We have property on a small mountain in NH. I've never seen moose poop on the trail going up the mountain, but it's all over our property, which was logged 2005-ish. They bed down at the top of the property, so lots of them up there. From our critter cam: 18030

rickb
11-05-2012, 19:55
They turn off their cloaking devices at

rickb
11-05-2012, 19:58
They turn off thier cloaking devices at Sandy Stream Pond.

Not a bad reason to brave the Knife Edge and end one's hike at Roaring Brook CG in Baxter State Park.

Odd Man Out
11-05-2012, 21:30
A friend of mine was a wildlife biologist for the MI DNR. Back in the 1980's when they relocated moose from Ontario to the UP of MI, he was the "moose catcher". They used helicopters to chase the moose on the frozen lakes and then dart them. They would then air lift them to a place with road access for transport by truck. My friend got to stand under the helicopter, in -20 deg weather as they lowered the moose onto him. Now THAT'S a moose encounter.

Rasty
11-06-2012, 00:21
Arlo...interest singer...my favorite...I don't want a pickle, just want to ride on my motor cicle.
A five foot cop with a six foot gun!

Don H
11-06-2012, 08:54

That's her! I'd recognize that big fat nose anywhere :)
Yes I was there on August 7th last year. I just reread my TJ for that day and I noted I was within 10' of the moose before I saw it. I heard later that people at the hut were trying to feed it by hand and take pictures of it up close. Not too smart.

hikerboy57
11-06-2012, 10:38
I figured 50 ft was as close as i wanted to get.didnt see anyone trying to feed her.

LIhikers
11-06-2012, 20:28
Here's my photo of the moose at Madison Springs Hut

Highway Man
11-07-2012, 11:36
A hiker told me that he saw a moose in northern MA. I noticed plenty of evidences along the trail in southern VT and ME. I saw much moose tracks, and heard rutting calls at midnight in ME a few times, but never encoutered one till the last two days of my thru hike.

Less than 10 minutes into Katahdin State Park boundary from the register box, in a heavy thunderstorm.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/0/2/4/4/1005e_cow_moose_in_rain_storm.jpg

1azarus
11-07-2012, 16:23
half seriously, their legs are long enough so that you can mistake them (their legs...) for saplings and not notice their bodies nestled up in the tree branches and leaves. well, i take that half part back. i am serious. oh, and all the pictures everyone else posted are of relatively short-legged young moose. the older ones are taller. (half serious, again...)

SCRUB HIKER
11-07-2012, 16:38
The Madison Springs Moose is named Lola. It too was the only moose I saw on the whole Trail. I was very disappointed, especially because the trail maintainer who writes the awesome Q&A for the Poplar Ridge shelter in the Saddlebacks made it sound like you couldn't sneeze without hitting a moose in Maine. Bill Bryson even saw one (although he "couldn't pull his camera out in time" ... make of that what you will). Friends hiking the same places on the same days as me saw up to four. I feel your pain, OP.

walknrow
12-12-2012, 07:41
I had to smile at Baxter S.P., hearing the shouts of "moose," here and "moose" there with every siting. Usually, they were in a creek and too far away to catch even much of a glimpse.

And then, on my hike to Chimney Pond, just wandering along, marveling at it all, and looking at the ground alot to keep my footing, well, I look up, and right in front of me, I'll be generous, and say oh about 40 maybe 50 feet, was mama moose and calf.

There wasn't much I could do, with a steep wooded bank to the left of me and drop-off to the right...I ended up bracing myself against a sturdy tree on the drop-off side...and waited for her to pass. (In writing this, I kind of wonder why I didn't just walk back down the trail a piece...?? On the other hand, I know what effort it took getting up it!) Pass she did, walked right by and I could have reached out and petted her. She stopped not too far down trail, and waited for her calf. Left behind, it called and called, but mama stayed put. Eventually the little one walked up the bank into the wooded area, keeping a wide bearth around me, and then the two went on their way.

I stayed put, and never said a word. Took a few pics, but it looks like ghost-moose. I didn't have "steady-shot" on, (didn't even know how to put it on), and admit, I even have shots of some signs that are blurred.

After the whole adventure, there were a couple hikers who had been up-trail and saw the whole thing, amazed. Still makes me smile.

Same trip a day or so later, on the road to BSP a young buck was crossing the road. With no traffic, I slowed and stopped, keeping an eye on the young 'en. He had entered the woods and stopped, and stood watching me. I did get a shot of him, titled "Watching you, watching me." My favorite pic of the whole trip. And then a car came, and he turned and was quickly out of sight.

G-FOURce
12-12-2012, 08:09

A five foot cop with a six foot gun!

I was goin' 150 miles an hour sideways and 500 feet down
at the same time.

(i love that song! my father was a big fan and every thanksgiving we listen to Alice's Restaurant during breakfast.)

Prime Time
12-12-2012, 08:30
People shoot moose, and they have figured that out. The only place they will run into people while in the woods is along a trail and they have figured that out too. You can figure out the rest.

LIhikers
12-12-2012, 11:24
My wife and I camped along the trail a short distance northbound from Zealand Falls hut. The next morning, as we were packing up, our dog alerts to something and my wife looks up to see a good sized male slowly meandering along the trail munching on trees. It was only a few feet away and was more concerned about eatting than the threat we might pose. By the time I got my camera I would have had to scurry around to get a good shot. Instead I just stood and enjoyed the beauty of it all.

wcgornto
12-12-2012, 11:55
Good thing you weren't here in Alaska. You would have been stomped. Cows with calves don't take too kindly to sharing the trail in Alaska.

http://www.adn.com/search_results?q=moose%20stomp

I had to smile at Baxter S.P., hearing the shouts of "moose," here and "moose" there with every siting. Usually, they were in a creek and too far away to catch even much of a glimpse.

And then, on my hike to Chimney Pond, just wandering along, marveling at it all, and looking at the ground alot to keep my footing, well, I look up, and right in front of me, I'll be generous, and say oh about 40 maybe 50 feet, was mama moose and calf.

There wasn't much I could do, with a steep wooded bank to the left of me and drop-off to the right...I ended up bracing myself against a sturdy tree on the drop-off side...and waited for her to pass. (In writing this, I kind of wonder why I didn't just walk back down the trail a piece...?? On the other hand, I know what effort it took getting up it!) Pass she did, walked right by and I could have reached out and petted her. She stopped not too far down trail, and waited for her calf. Left behind, it called and called, but mama stayed put. Eventually the little one walked up the bank into the wooded area, keeping a wide bearth around me, and then the two went on their way.

I stayed put, and never said a word. Took a few pics, but it looks like ghost-moose. I didn't have "steady-shot" on, (didn't even know how to put it on), and admit, I even have shots of some signs that are blurred.

After the whole adventure, there were a couple hikers who had been up-trail and saw the whole thing, amazed. Still makes me smile.

Same trip a day or so later, on the road to BSP a young buck was crossing the road. With no traffic, I slowed and stopped, keeping an eye on the young 'en. He had entered the woods and stopped, and stood watching me. I did get a shot of him, titled "Watching you, watching me." My favorite pic of the whole trip. And then a car came, and he turned and was quickly out of sight.

LIhikers
12-14-2012, 03:04
Good thing you weren't here in Alaska. You would have been stomped. Cows with calves don't take too kindly to sharing the trail in Alaska.

http://www.adn.com/search_results?q=moose%20stomp

My wife and I had an uneventful, Alaskan, moose encounter when we were there in 2006.
We spent the day riding bicycles around Anchorage and then rode the length of the Tony Knoles (spelling?) trail. The end of it was in a residential neighborhood and we watched as a mother, and 2 calves, wondered through that neighborhood eatting everyone's shrubery. They didn't seem concerened about us at all.

fiddlehead
12-14-2012, 04:59
Moose brains are not so big, so, it's amazing that they have survived this long.
Of course the hunters like them because they look big on the wall. (and the meat tastes pretty good)
So, they are protected for a reason.
If you have not seen one in Maine, it's probably because you have not spent enough time there.
I have hit one with my van, saw them from my kayak while running rapids, tracked one on a thru-hike until it was only 30 feet away, been pursued by one chasing me for over 10 minutes, eaten their meat, and had to wait for them to cross the road in front of me numerous times. While hiking, Baxter state park and anywhere north of Saddleback is where I've seen most of them.
Although I've seen them in NH and southern Maine (near Waterboro) also.
Plenty of them in WY and MT and ID too.

PD230SOI
12-14-2012, 05:48
Having grown up with moose in Maine I never thought too highly of their intellect....

However one trick you might use is to stop looking for a moose, a whole moose that is. Start looking for moose parts and you might see them. You are not going to see them in full profile too often, but you will see an ear twitch or a leg shift, or some other body part if you look carefully.

wiel
12-14-2012, 10:45
Did you try the moose lodge? :)

Odd Man Out
12-14-2012, 11:33
We spotted lots of moose on Isle Royale. They tended to hang around the lodge because they knew the wolves would stay away from people.

bear bag hanger
12-14-2012, 14:45
A friend once theorized there were very few moose in New England. The tourist industry hired a guy to carry one moose around in his pickup to display near trails and roads so everyone would think there were more of them!

walknrow
12-14-2012, 15:31
My favorite pic from my adventure to Maine & BSP. "Watching you, watching me."

He was slowly crossing the road to BSP in front of me, and headed across to the trees as I approached. He stopped, and so did I, and I was able to snap this. We watched one another, until the next car approached, and he turned and headed away, into the trees.

HermesUL
12-14-2012, 16:04
I've only seen a moose on the trail once (plenty in waterways), and that was near the summit of North Kinsman in NH. A mother and her calf were just chilling 15 feet from the trail. For about half an hour before then, I had been so quiet that even hikers coming along the trail hadn't been hearing a sound.

Pedaling Fool
12-14-2012, 16:05
You need to start looking up in the trees http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/09/08/sweden.drunken.moose/index.html

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/WORLD/europe/09/08/sweden.drunken.moose/t1larg.drunken.moose.johansson.jpg

Tinker
12-14-2012, 16:56
OK, how can an animal that is so huge be so hard to see?

I finally managed to see a moose during the last 4 days of my thru-hike in 2010, but I had been trying to see one ever since seeing moose turds as early as southern Vermont. And I know a lot of thru-hikers that never got to see one.

How the hell do you hide an animal that big? If they can poop on the trail throughout most of New England, why can't they put in an appearance?

I theorized that moose are multi-dimensional beings that wink into our plane of existence like a quark, pausing just long enough to poop on the trail before projecting back to their alternate universe.

The local authorities hide them from hikers by placing them under a bar of soap. ;)

walknrow
12-16-2012, 11:39
Good one Tinker!! lol :D

RockDoc
12-17-2012, 21:49
After many weeks of hiking in Maine I discovered that if you want to see a moose, all you need to do is get into an automobile and drive around.

bamboo bob
12-17-2012, 21:56
I camped almost on the trail near Long Pond in Maine in the dark. I was careful to avoid the pile of moose poop. Not until I lit my stove in the dark did I notice MS Moose standing there. She never moved. I ate from my tent. I went about my business. She was gone in the morning.