PDA

View Full Version : rain pants ?

BensMusicHiker
11-04-2012, 20:08
So next summer i plan on having a good rain jacket..... but is it crucial to have rain pants? I am a big fan of no pants ( wearing shorts with a thermal layer underneath instead of hiking pants ) so i was curious if id be ok without rain pants on the CT.

bearcreek
11-04-2012, 20:56
You need them.

BensMusicHiker
11-04-2012, 20:57
simply said, simply taken!

Dr. Professor
11-04-2012, 21:12
So next summer i plan on having a good rain jacket..... but is it crucial to have rain pants? I am a big fan of no pants ( wearing shorts with a thermal layer underneath instead of hiking pants ) so i was curious if id be ok without rain pants on the CT.

I'm currently looking into new rain gear as well. For a top, I'm thinking about going with the Mammut Felstrum half-zip which will double as part of my layering for cold or windy weather. On the bottom, I'm torn. I've been thinking about making the jump from rain pants to rain chaps. It's a big switch, but the weight and space savings would be huge. I'd appreciate thoughts on the subject.

Mags
11-04-2012, 21:20
Check out these really light and inexpensive pants. With a thermal layer underneath, they work surprisingly well:
http://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/style_701.html?camp=Froogle_701&utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=701&utm_campaign=Products

Best for three-season hiking for inclement weather and possibly even late Fall.

They run large, so order your normal size (even if they are meant for dancing). ~3.5 oz for Men L

More info:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=64702

At less than $20, they are quite nice.

BensMusicHiker
11-04-2012, 22:19
Hey mags are the dance pants waterproof at all?

Mags
11-04-2012, 22:49
Water resistant but breathable. (My personal preference for rain gear..think of it more as wind gear)

Hole-In-The-Hat
11-05-2012, 11:04
I agree, you need rain protection for your legs. A pair of sil-nylon pants are fairly inexpensive and only weigh 3-4 ounces. Dr Professor, chaps work OK too; the tradeoff is that they require a little more fussing to put on and you can't sit on anything wet.

Dr. Professor
11-05-2012, 14:22
Thank you all;

Mags, those pants look interesting. Do you wear them over shorts, long johns, hiking pants, etc...? Are they sold in men's sizes? At 6'0", 185 lbs. with a 35 inch waist, I'm sure that I'm women's size extra-ginormous.

Mags
11-05-2012, 14:50
Over long johns or shorts. Haven't tried them over hiking pants.

Though marketed for women, they run large (for women) and appear to be unisex in actuality. In other words, the sizes fit men well.

Lyle
11-05-2012, 15:21
I like and use a rain wrap from ULA. Very comfortable and adjustable

Dr. Professor
11-05-2012, 22:51
Well, you certainly can't beat the price or weight. So from what you're saying, I take it that a large should fit me (6 feet, 185 pounds, 35 inch waist). Guess I'll order a pair and hit the trail next time I can get out on a rainy day.

Thanks for the advice.

Dr. Professor
11-05-2012, 23:06
On the link you attached, it says it sizes by inseam. My inseam, it turns out, is 30 inches. I have trouble believing I can wear anything that says woman's size small. Think I'll go with the large.

Dr. Professor
11-09-2012, 22:42
Well, I've got the large.

At 6'0", 185 lbs., 35 inch waist, the large fits. I actually fold the top over once like they talk about on that link. I haven't had a chance to check them out in the rain, but I get the feeling that they'd let water through but dry out quickly. If it's cold, a smartwool baselayer would probably work well with these. They weigh 3.6 oz., so they're great on that front. They're very comfortable (dainty, even). There is a constant low-grade rustle, but not bad, and probably no big deal since they're on your legs rather than your chest. They're very packable. You can't beat the price.

I'll definitely check these out next time I get a chance to hike in the rain.

At this point, my impression is that these will work great. I do intend to pair them with high quality upper body rain gear to protect my core; I'm thinking Mammut Felstrum Half Zip for that.

SunnyWalker
11-10-2012, 18:42
Frogg Toggs. Buy 'em, use 'em.

Mags
11-11-2012, 17:29
At this point, my impression is that these will work great.

Glad you liked them. Amazing how many non-outdoor gear items work well for the outdoors. Because they are not marketed for outdoors, these items are often less expensive than the equivalent item sold at the Big Bad Outdoor store.

handlebar
11-11-2012, 19:12
I like and use a rain wrap from ULA. Very comfortable and adjustable +1! I hike in a kilt (currently the Mountain Hardware Kommando, but previously Sport Kilt Hiking Kilt). The rain wrap works well over the kilt--even in windy conditions and in winter until daily high temps are below 20*F, and it can be put on over my kilt. That said, I think I only wore it two or three times on the entire CDT.

Papa D
11-11-2012, 22:35
I can see how you might think that rain pants are silly and extra weight but I can assure you that hot sunny mountain weather can change to cold, foggy, windy rainy mountain weather in the blink of an eye. I would always suggest light rain pants (even if you just put them on to do your laundry).

wandering_bob
11-12-2012, 13:59
Waterproof and highly breathable, these work as both wind and rain protection. See http://o2rainwear.com/2011/03/original-pant at 3 ounces. They also make a matching hooded rain jacket that weighs 5 ounces. Yes, you'll look like Bananaman (or Bananawoman) but you'll never lose your rain gear in camp. It is readily visible.

Caveat: The pants can split in the crotch fairly easily so order one size larger than you regularily wear to allow extra room. The fabric can be easily mended with duct tape.

I've used them both, albeit mostly the jacket. POD (Princess of Darkness) did the entire CDT with a set of these and they got lots of use. As with any UL gear, you have to treat it with care.

And +1, you WILL want wind/rain pants on the CT. Fortunately, I have a pair of the old style Golite Reed pants.

FarmerChef
11-12-2012, 14:20

I'm a big fan of no pants too. Quick drying and the water just rolls off.... :D

Couldn't resist.

In all seriousness, its up to your personal preference. When it's cold out and your poncho doesn't come all the way to the bottom of your shorts you'll wish you had rain pants. In the summer during a thunderstorm when it's 90 degrees out you'll wish you could just hike naked. Ergo, I go with the poncho in the summer and add rain pants in the fall, winter and early spring. There's a couple of threads on these hanging around. I'm getting ready to try Tyvek pants next week for the first time. Course if it doesn't rain I can't report on their durability. But their cost just can't be beat and the fashion? Undeniable.