PDA

View Full Version : Toughest (Most Challenging) Sections

prain4u
11-04-2012, 20:58
This is not a debate starter. There are no "right" or "wrong" answers. I'm just interested in hearing various opinions.

IN YOUR OPINION....
What is/are the toughest (and/or most challenging) section(s) of the Appalachian Trail--AND WHY?

A "section" can be whatever you choose to define it as. It might be 100 yard spot or an entire 250 mile portion of the trail.

"Toughest/Most Challenging" can mean many different things. It might mean physically challenging or emotionally challenging or challenging in terms of weather issues, lack of water, insect issues etc.

(In some instances, noting the time of the year and your direction of travel--NOBO or SOBO--might be helpful too).

Papa D
11-04-2012, 21:17
GA - Trey Mountain
NC - Sassafrass Mt.
VA - The Priest
WVA - The Rollercoaster
MD - Pine Knob? (I forget - MD not that hard)
PA - Blue Mountain
NJ - Pochuck Mtn
NY - Bear Mountain
CT - St John's Ledges or Bear Mt.
MA - Graylock
VT - Killington Mtn
NH - Moosilaukie? Webster Cliffs? (lots of hard ups)
ME - Baldplate Mtn? (lots of Southern ME)

Lone Wolf
11-04-2012, 21:34
rollercoaster is in VA

Prime Time
11-04-2012, 23:39
NOBO, for me it's Pinkham Notch to Grafton Notch. You're 1850 miles into the hike and you've just finished the Presidential's and are feeling like you must have tackled the hardest part of the White's and you are smacked with 50 miles of tough ups and downs and scrambling over loose, wet, rugged rocks, much of it exposed above tree line. Plus you know you have the whole state of Maine yet to do. If the weather is bad as it often is, this section can be brutal. If the weather's good it can be spectacular. Either way it's always difficult.

Slo-go'en
11-05-2012, 00:54
yep, that first 50 miles or so out of NH is one kick butt and hand it too you section of trail.

bobtomaskovic
11-05-2012, 02:52
The part where it's 40 deg f with a 35 mph breeze gusting to 50 and your into the second or third day of rain, being above treeline is just icing on the cake.

Cookerhiker
11-05-2012, 07:43
Hiking NOBO, from Gorham, NH (Rt. 2 road crossing) to Safford Notch (descent from Avery Peak in Bigalows). 120 miles. Very steep with lots of rough footing.

garlic08
11-05-2012, 08:40
Spring blizzards above 5,000'.

fredmugs
11-05-2012, 09:29
SOBO down the Mahoosic Arm
NOBO down from Mt Washington (13 miles in 10 hours - yuk)
In and out of Carter Notch

learly
11-05-2012, 21:21
I will never forget the last 20 of NH and the first 20 of ME

Kerosene
11-06-2012, 11:51
A few months ago I did the Pinkham Notch to Rangeley section. I would rate it tougher than the northern portion of the Long Trail, especially at my age.

On my 4th day out, after innumerable tough climbs and descents at at the point where I was just starting to get in some form of hiking shape, I came down a steep rockface just before the turn-off to Carlo Col Shelter. I clearly recall cursing the person who laid out that descent, as I was on the verge of falling to severe injury several times. I couldn't figure out why there were stairs and rungs built into rock faces in some places, and slick rock in others. Fortunately it was dry out, and I decided to eat lunch in a patch of sun at the intersection to the side trail. Ten minutes later another backpacker comes down, poles clicking with several epithets gushing forth as he almost sealed his fate. Five minutes later the same scenario played itself out with a third hiker. Pretty funny.

Fortunately for my knees, the AT terrain moderated somewhat after Grafton Notch. Those last 15 miles from Route 17 to Route 2 seemed so very easy, despite all the mud and roots. I figure that so many other people have been able to do it that I should be able to also; I might feel differently if I was one of the first to hike one of these rugged sections.

Don H
11-06-2012, 13:46
The Wildcats and the Carlos Col area.

swamp dawg
11-06-2012, 14:54
Pinkham Notch north over Wildcat has always been a challenge to me. Fairly difficult with hard ups , false tops, and ruff rocky downs. I have always had cold,wet, windy weather on this section so my footing has been uneven and slippery and this really has worked over my knees. Just another day on the trail which isn't all bad and life is good on the trail. swamp dawg

snifur
11-06-2012, 16:57
The beginning and the end are always difficult for me on any hike...

Cookerhiker
11-09-2012, 09:22
A few months ago I did the Pinkham Notch to Rangeley section. I would rate it tougher than the northern portion of the Long Trail, especially at my age.

On my 4th day out, after innumerable tough climbs and descents at at the point where I was just starting to get in some form of hiking shape, I came down a steep rockface just before the turn-off to Carlo Col Shelter. I clearly recall cursing the person who laid out that descent, as I was on the verge of falling to severe injury several times. I couldn't figure out why there were stairs and rungs built into rock faces in some places, and slick rock in others. Fortunately it was dry out, and I decided to eat lunch in a patch of sun at the intersection to the side trail. Ten minutes later another backpacker comes down, poles clicking with several epithets gushing forth as he almost sealed his fate. Five minutes later the same scenario played itself out with a third hiker. Pretty funny.

Fortunately for my knees, the AT terrain moderated somewhat after Grafton Notch. Those last 15 miles from Route 17 to Route 2 seemed so very easy, despite all the mud and roots. I figure that so many other people have been able to do it that I should be able to also; I might feel differently if I was one of the first to hike one of these rugged sections.

I started my section hike at Rt. 2 outside Gorham. Otherwise, my experience and sentiments were identical to your's, especially that descent before Carlo Col. (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=113705) Later on after nearly breaking my neck descending the wet rocks of the Bemis Range, I was ready to quit until I hit that easy stretch into Rangeley. I shared Sabbath Day Pond Lean-to with 2 women in their 70s (at least). One of them - the quieter one - said "...if we can make it up Saddleback, then you can too..." That really helped!

on_the_GOEZ
11-15-2012, 01:40
The section right after any resupply..

Otherwise, southern maine and georgia. From my experience, 'hard' sections vary person to person, typically depending on weather, pack weight and overall mood, e.g. from Davenport Gap to Mt. Camerer.. mostly uphill in freezing rain after resupply.. A grueling trek