PDA

View Full Version : trekking pole lifespan

Statue
11-04-2012, 21:20
I'm wondering on a thru if a pair of trekking poles are more likely to last the whole way or break at some point. I have a pair of Black Diamond Ergo Corks that have seen about 500 miles and I haven't gotten them in a precarious situation where they might break but obviously that probability goes up when attempting a 2100 mile hike.

Thinking about buying a spare set of poles that could be shipped to me if something were to happen. Plus I keep seeing a pair of LEKIs pop up on steapandcheap. I need some sort of justification to continue my impulse buying...

jakedatc
11-04-2012, 21:50
You could break them day 1 or last in perfect shape to the end. one reason i don't use straps is so i can let go if it gets stuck in the ground or behind a root etc.

swjohnsey
11-04-2012, 23:06
Poles are gonna take a beatin'. I replaced the tips on mine twice. If I were gonna get a back-up set of poles I would get a second pair exactly like the first. Get you some replacement tips for the BD poles. They are not easily available along the trail. Get the "short" tips. The long ones break quickly.

BrianLe
11-05-2012, 01:50
I might replace tips; I did on the PCT, didn't on other trails. Consider buying replacement tips and mailing or bouncing themselves to yourself at least halfway along, as a set of tips should last well over 1000 miles.
I think the lifetime of poles depends in part on how careful, and how lucky/unlucky you are, and in part on what type of pole you have. If some or all of the pole is carbon fiber, bigger chance of snapping one at some point; my c.f. poles did the entire PCT but then I snapped one in the Smokies on the AT. Otherwise I think you should be able to easily get a thru-hike out of a decent set of poles.

Other than outright snapping one, the next point of failure I think is whatever locking mechanism you have on an adjustable pole. The twist-lock types can get to the point that they just aren't reliable. Even then, if something guaranteed (like Leki) you can get them repaired. Shouldn't be an issue for doing 2000 miles unless they're already well worn. Of course if you have a Walmart or other cheaper pole, no idea ...

bobtomaskovic
11-05-2012, 02:45
replacements for Leki redily available along the AT. I broke 3 poles and all repaired with no hasseles and at no cost.

SCRUB HIKER
11-05-2012, 05:00
You could break them day 1 or last in perfect shape to the end.

+1 on this. I know people with 5,000 miles on their poles, but in high school I got a pair of poles for a trip and broke one of them after about 7 days. (Unhappy with that situation, I gave up on the whole concept and haven't used them since.) The point is it's hard to tell how they will hold up. But everyone I knew on the AT who had minor problems with their poles (telescoping mechanism failed, tips wore down, etc.) were able to work out their problems with the manufacturer over the phone.

rusty bumper
11-05-2012, 09:50
I replaced the tips on my Leki poles in Kent, CT....the hike through PA seemed to have been particularly tough on them. I fell in VT and came down with my left calf on my pole and bent it into a real nice arc. I ended up straightening it out reasonably well by wedging between a couple of trees and pulling, but I could never get it straight enough to collapse. At an outfitter's in Lincoln, NH, the bent section was replaced for free, compliments of Leki!

Don H
11-05-2012, 09:58
It's very common to wear the tips out half way through a thru. I replaced my poles in HF, the tips were gone and I broke one in a fall.

weary
11-05-2012, 10:34
I carried only one pole, which I found at the bottom of Dunn Notch Falls, two years earlier. It was a slim alder sapling that had been cut by a trail maintainer. It weighed just 9 ounces equipped with a rubber crutch tip for traction. Despite warnings from commercial pole fanciers and later on this site, it lasted the six months and three days I spent on the trail in 1993 and still seems as sturdy as ever, though I use it only occasionally these days. It has so many fond memories associated with the many thousands of miles it has accompanied my walks over the years, I would hate to break or lose it. After all one White Blazer was sure that using a sapling found in the woods is "a serious accident waiting to happen."

I've made several since as gifts. Each takes just a few minutes to find a reasonably straight small-stemmed piece of alder and to strip the bark. Alder is a common tree that abounds in Maine and other northern state "alder swamps." Sometimes I add a commercial top with strap (about 10 to 15 dollars). Some I leave just the bare wood carved as a hand grip. A few have bike handle grips ($1.50 from Walmart.) All have commercial crutch tips, available for around 75 cents each from most hardware stores and some drug stores.

I like alder because it is sturdy and light weight and virtually unbreakable. Oak is stronger, but too heavy for my tastes. But probably most 1 inch or smaller diameter shrub trees would work.

CyborgAT
11-07-2012, 16:00
And friend of mine this past year started with a pair of the locking trekking poles from walmart ($20 pair, not the twist lock) and made it all the way to Katahdin with them. He told me they were solid poles and didn't have to pay $140 for a pair of Lekis.

CyborgAT
11-07-2012, 16:01
And friend of mine this past year started with a pair of the locking trekking poles from walmart ($20 pair, not the twist lock) and made it all the way to Katahdin with them. He told me they were solid poles and didn't have to pay $140 for a pair of Lekis.

*A friend of mine.

juma
11-07-2012, 16:28
one thing I found out was don't throw them ahead point first. they will break for sure and without that grippy point they don't work well at all especially on rocks.

FarmerChef
11-07-2012, 17:13
I have almost 1,000 miles on my mountainsmith cheapos from Sierra Trading Post. The tips are warn down almost to the nubs though. I'll get a new set after this next section coming up. They're a little bent and the twist locks don't always hold. My wife bent one of hers on our first hike with them but we've used it ever since. So, in my experience to date, I'd say about half a thru per set. ymmv.

jakedatc
11-07-2012, 17:37
some of you are rough on gear haha.. my BD Alpine CF's have been through 500mi of white mountains and Long trail terrain and are barely scratched. the tips show hardly any wear at all (yay carbide)

i agree.. don't throw your poles.. if you need to go down a drop then just drop them or slide them.

Zipper
11-07-2012, 18:40
Still using the same Black Diamond poles from my thru hike. I put rubber tip covers on them and wore through about three sets. I prefer having the tip covers - I don't like the clackity clack sound of the metal pole tips and don't like stabbing leaves with my poles. I think I'm in the minority, but that worked out well for me personally. I did toss my poles down a lot of steep rocky crazy trail in Maine, but happily they bounced and didn't break. Can't recommend tossing poles, but I did do it! :)

Drybones
11-07-2012, 18:58
You could break them day 1 or last in perfect shape to the end. one reason i don't use straps is so i can let go if it gets stuck in the ground or behind a root etc.

+1...depends on how often you trip and fall...can't believe mine are still functional.

fireneck
11-16-2012, 00:29
I'm wondering on a thru if a pair of trekking poles are more likely to last the whole way or break at some point. I have a pair of Black Diamond Ergo Corks that have seen about 500 miles and I haven't gotten them in a precarious situation where they might break but obviously that probability goes up when attempting a 2100 mile hike.

Thinking about buying a spare set of poles that could be shipped to me if something were to happen. Plus I keep seeing a pair of LEKIs pop up on steapandcheap. I need some sort of justification to continue my impulse buying...

I started my thru hike the same pair as you (miles and all). As long as you don't lose them Aqua Blazin' you'll be fine :D

Instead of buying a replacement set, I would buy the replacement sections from Black Diamond. I wore through my tips after 1,000 miles or so. Here is BD's spare parts for sale (http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/spare-parts).

Datto
11-16-2012, 10:14
My original pair of Leki hiking poles last 13 years and more than 7,000 trail miles before I fell on the poles on the CDT and crunched them too badly to repair (also grew a new chin in the process). Those hiking poles had the Cor-tek handles that didn't dissolve when I used Deet so I ended up just getting the same thing brand new from Leki when I replaced my broken hiking poles. As I recollect, the points on my original hiking poles were replaced twice on the AT and twice on the PCT.

Datto

Grampie
11-16-2012, 10:26
I have a pair of Leki poles I brought in 2000. Probably got over 3,000 hiking miles on them. They never broke. Has the cleaned and repaired at Trail Days a few times and replaced the carbide tips twice during my thru. The paint id scared and scraped but the poles still work just fine.

Malto
11-16-2012, 10:37
I have used the Gossamer Gear LT4 for over 4000 miles and I have had no breakage at all except..... For a three day period on the PCT where I broke three sections in three days (all temporarily repairable with duct tape, super glue and broken pole sections ). The three breaks were:
1) tip slipped in crack between two rocks on great trail and I snapped it off.
2) I fell off trail trying to find the trail in snow and fell right on a pole snapping it in two.
3) during a break I stepped back on a pole and had a real break.

So bottom line, you could be very lucky or unlucky. I do think there are some things you can do to keep them from breaking. Placement during breaks and stops, holding on the the tops of the poles vs sideways on the handle ( allows very quick release) and probably the most helpful on the AT - take off the snow baskets, it will catch a lot less rocks and roots.

Datto
11-16-2012, 19:12
As a side note, the only time I can remember not taking my hiking poles when I hiked -- was when I broke my leg. That was a heck of a 30 mile drive back to town and to a hospital just because I'd forgotten to take my hiking poles.

Pic of the TSA approved steel plate that now follows me around wherever I go:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=336653

Lesson: Always, always, always take your hiking poles on a hike.

I did meet some nice nurses though -- I'm looking for a positive spin on the episode.

Datto

Joker4ink
12-25-2012, 13:41
I only have experience with Leki's, but my Makalu's are solid! I lost my lower section on a hike up Bear Mountain (long story) and just used the two sections to continue hiking. I extended the middle section as far as possible and continued on my way. Funny thing is that the middle section didn't even get bent and I was able to put a replacement lower section in with no issue. That's quality aluminum.