PDA

View Full Version : thru hike prep and address

DavidNH
05-17-2005, 20:31
Hello,

I am very early stages of planning thru hike for next sprint. Currently I am renting an apartment and will let the lease run out. So I am wondering.. since I will no longer be living at my current address..what do I do about phone service, and bank? Is it ok to keep current address listed and have all mail forwarded to my support person (who lives in Mass not NH)?

I would like to hear from some one who was renting and did a thru hike or long section hike. How did did you handle things? cancel lease and all utilities? Would pre paid phone cards be usefull? can one keep checking account in place even if one does not have a permanant address?

The more I think things over the more I feel the pre hike is as much of a challenge as the hike it self! But if I couldnt handle a challenge..Iwouldn't be planning a thru hike now would I? http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

all comments welcomed!

NHhIker

yogi clyde
05-17-2005, 22:20
I subletted my apartment, but cancelled all utilities.
I forwarded all my mail to my support person.
Contact all your financial institutions with the change of address, and cancel all your magazines.

Moon Monster
05-17-2005, 22:34
Usually, it's possible to have a different mailing address on a bank account and utilities (like a cell phone) than is the address under which the account is listed. Bank and financial accounts do have to conform to state laws, so it's important to the bank where an address is located. I'd suggest giving them a new "mailing" address, but not telling them that you will not have a permanent address. It'd only confuse the customer service rep.

I cancelled my lease and utilities and found a new place to live when I came home. I did use phone cards; there are plenty of threads already here about them.

If you have a car and want to put the insurance on hiatus to save money, things can get even more confusing depending on the state where you park the car. I had a grueling time working through this with Geico both before and after my hike.