PDA

View Full Version : Status of Service Road #71 to Deep Gap?

JustADude
11-05-2012, 10:22
Does anyone know the status of Service Road #71 to Deep Gap?

Thinking about doing that section soon and wanted to make sure that gravel road (I think 6 mi long), which is off of Highway 64, is open all the way back to the Deep Gap portion.

Thanks for any info and feedback.

FlyPaper
11-05-2012, 15:57
It is open all the way to Deep Gap. I drove it last year in a Saturn SC2 (i.e. a ordinary car with no ground clearance).

Does anyone know the status of Service Road #71 to Deep Gap?

Thinking about doing that section soon and wanted to make sure that gravel road (I think 6 mi long), which is off of Highway 64, is open all the way back to the Deep Gap portion.

Thanks for any info and feedback.

JustADude
11-05-2012, 16:04
Sounds great. I was curious if all the snow/ice was gone and also it hadn't washed out or anything.

Thanks again.

FlyPaper
11-05-2012, 17:04
Sounds great. I was curious if all the snow/ice was gone and also it hadn't washed out or anything.

Thanks again.

Sorry I don't have current information. I can only say that it WAS a very good road for ordinary street cars. I doubt it would be washed out, but can't say about recent snow.

generoll
11-05-2012, 17:46
what snow?

JustADude
11-06-2012, 13:24
Nantahala Hiking Club provided the Forest Service number for that area: 828-524-6441.

I talked with the Forest Service and it sounds like they haven't received any negative reports for FR 71 (Deep Gap), so that probably means everything is okay (although they did have a couple of flakes falling today).