PDA

View Full Version : 2006 thru hike

TOW
05-17-2005, 20:49
I'm contmplating a complete thru hike starting sometime in January or Febuary?
The reason I am starting early is that I like to hike slowly.

I llived on that trail for about three years and have alot of friends in the many towns scattered along the AT. I want to stop and see some of them.

But anyway I am looking for someone who wants to hike with me. Female or male, it don't matter. The main thing is that you got to be easy to get along with. I'm easy going on the most part and do not let obstacles bother me too long.

I'll be starting at Springer....

Wanderer

K-Bear
05-18-2005, 09:19
i'm starting 3-1-06 and if you stop and zero...a LOT, i might catch you. if i do, look forward to meetin ya!

Bmillonduhat
05-18-2005, 10:10
I'll be starting the middle of feb. from springer. Would be glad to hike with ya

TOW
05-20-2005, 21:36
i'm starting 3-1-06 and if you stop and zero...a LOT, i might catch you. if i do, look forward to meetin ya!
I do alot of zeros....:dance

TOW
05-20-2005, 21:38
I'll be starting the middle of feb. from springer. Would be glad to hike with ya
sounds good to me, my buddy BooBoo may hike with me too........

jags
05-20-2005, 22:01
I hope to be starting atround the 20th March, so I'll be behind you - all the way.
How many 'zeros' do you consider to be a lot, as I'm older and figure on quite a few rest days at the beginning and in the tougher sections up in New England.

Jags

bronzie5
05-20-2005, 22:05
I plan on starting around the 13th of Feb. if everything goes well. I hope to be done before August so i may be doing a few fast days. Maybe we can due the first part of the trail.

neo
05-20-2005, 23:52
i will be finishing my section hike next year,2001-2006 ga-maine:cool: neo

TOW
05-21-2005, 01:20
anytime i don't feel like hiking and that can go anywhere from one day to three....wanderer
I hope to be starting atround the 20th March, so I'll be behind you - all the way.
How many 'zeros' do you consider to be a lot, as I'm older and figure on quite a few rest days at the beginning and in the tougher sections up in New England.

Jags

TOW
05-21-2005, 01:23
i reckon since i won't want to be on the trail up in New England come October I will definetly be done by then. In 2001-02 in the winter, I got caught up on Mt Greylock in a snow storm and durn neared died....

jags
05-21-2005, 15:16
anytime i don't feel like hiking and that can go anywhere from one day to three....wandererI take that you are more of a 'free spirit/when you feel like it' - kind of hiker than myself.
At my age I have to look ahead and plan on having lots of rest days, to make sure the aches and sprains get time to heal and the old body doesn't get too run down.
To that end, I've figured in about 1 rest(zero) day/week average with more early on and in the final month.

Have a great hike when it comes but I doubt I'll ever catch up to you and your team.

Jags

TOW
05-21-2005, 23:30
I most definetly am a free spirit. I guess that's why they call me the wanderer....wanderer
I take that you are more of a 'free spirit/when you feel like it' - kind of hiker than myself.
At my age I have to look ahead and plan on having lots of rest days, to make sure the aches and sprains get time to heal and the old body doesn't get too run down.
To that end, I've figured in about 1 rest(zero) day/week average with more early on and in the final month.

Have a great hike when it comes but I doubt I'll ever catch up to you and your team.

Jags

jags
05-25-2005, 14:42
I've been looking at quite a few photos to get some idea of what to expect by way of trail grades and conditions. Most of the photos, which are all of a good standard, seem to be taken in nice weather and on flat or well graded trail.

Are there any photos of the steeper, rock-scrambling or boggy parts. ?
Can anyone identify who has taken them or in which state folio can they be found.?
... or are the difficult parts so tough that no one dare stop to take a photo. ?

Jags :)

TOW
05-25-2005, 23:12
I've been looking at quite a few photos to get some idea of what to expect by way of trail grades and conditions. Most of the photos, which are all of a good standard, seem to be taken in nice weather and on flat or well graded trail.

Are there any photos of the steeper, rock-scrambling or boggy parts. ?
Can anyone identify who has taken them or in which state folio can they be found.?
... or are the difficult parts so tough that no one dare stop to take a photo. ?

Jags :)
Listen, dont look at the photos, or the elevation maps, you don't need to know whats ahead except what the data or the thru hikers guidebooks says.

if you still want to see some pics, i'm sure you'll be able to find some around here someplace......wanderer

dje97001
06-06-2005, 13:34
Since there doesn't yet seem to be a forum for 2006... my wife and I are still planning to start around April 1st (maybe a bad day to start...) and plan on taking as many zeros as needed. I like to think of them as "morale days" rather than zeros... then it seems like you are actually getting something done, even when you are lazing around in town.

Footslogger
06-06-2005, 14:01
Since there doesn't yet seem to be a forum for 2006... my wife and I are still planning to start around April 1st (maybe a bad day to start...) and plan on taking as many zeros as needed. I like to think of them as "morale days" rather than zeros... then it seems like you are actually getting something done, even when you are lazing around in town.=====================================
Congrats to both of you for drawing a line in the sand and establishing your start date. 4/1 is not such a bad date. In fact, none of them are bad ...they all just carry different considerations. I started on 3/29 and finished on 10/9. I like your "morale days" terminology. Everybody needs them and you've got plenty of room for morale days with a 4/1 start date.

Now comes the hard part ...waiting for next April to arrive !!

'Slogger
AT 2003

dje97001
06-06-2005, 16:59
=====================================
Congrats to both of you for drawing a line in the sand and establishing your start date. 4/1 is not such a bad date. In fact, none of them are bad ...they all just carry different considerations. I started on 3/29 and finished on 10/9. I like your "morale days" terminology. Everybody needs them and you've got plenty of room for morale days with a 4/1 start date.

Now comes the hard part ...waiting for next April to arrive !!

'Slogger
AT 2003
Yep. I think 4/1 sounds nice and mild compared to a march/feb start, but I meant... starting on April fools day might not be the best message that I want the trail sending me... ;)

A couple of shakedown hikes this summer and my dissertation ought to keep me preoccupied!

rcli4
06-06-2005, 17:43
4/1 Is a fine day. I was married april first 1976. Still married to the same women and she lets me hike :)

Bolivershagnasty
06-07-2005, 20:12
I'm concidering a thru hike start next year, depends on my "wanted" status" with my custody battle, hehe, now, now I have full custody now and have had for years but if I was to lose it I have no reason to stick around here long..April 1 sounds good to me and I'm not a speed hiker anyway..If you are slow well be just fine..just forget my name..Hmmm

TOW
06-08-2005, 06:45
I'm concidering a thru hike start next year, depends on my "wanted" status" with my custody battle, hehe, now, now I have full custody now and have had for years but if I was to lose it I have no reason to stick around here long..April 1 sounds good to me and I'm not a speed hiker anyway..If you are slow well be just fine..just forget my name..HmmmMe, forget your name, are you kidding? And that face, just look at that face? I'll never forget that name or face........The way you look with a name like that? Jee wiz man, what do you expect fro me?