Whitey Ford(DC)
11-05-2012, 15:16
18013180141801518016180171801818019180201802118022 180231802518026

melaniebk
11-05-2012, 16:44
Good looking dog. Is he hiking also?

Whitey Ford(DC)
11-05-2012, 18:27
yes he is....he's name is Moose after my deceased fathers nickname... ppl can follow our training at facebook.com/WeWillFinish

Thunderbird
11-05-2012, 20:51
Im planing to hike the AT in 2014. I would like to know how much training is involved. Im going to be retired by then and, I train now with my loaded pack about 45 miles a week. I will be increasing that distance this next summer.
Also is it wise to go it alone on the AT or find someone to hike with?

Whitey Ford(DC)
11-05-2012, 23:41
Regularly exercising, stretching & hiking with a pack is been working well for me & moose altho I have a bad back but where I live there is nothing that is going to be like the AT...physically getting urself ready is the easy part which means keep working at it, it's mental, emotional & elevation I think is going to be my issues..Leaving the comfort of my kids & home...I think having someone hike with u is a plus & minus thing...You have to look at the big picture, If something happens to u, it's you having to head back home...no 1 else....if the other person gives up then ur stuck with a decision of staying or giving up too....but having a close friend or family member would definitely work for the emotional part...I think....I would love to take my kids but they r to small for this kind of trip so I'm adding my very trusted friend, Moose. I have such a deep love for pitbulls and I'm very connected him...I want ppl to c what these beautiful, lovin, loyal friends can do other than what ppl have made them out to be.....Just my thoughts

Thunderbird
11-06-2012, 01:29
I have a few years on you. Im in pretty good shape. Im retired and x military so I have a lot of disipline. I was just wondering how many people you see on the trail during the day. As for my kids there all adults and, my wifes Idea of camping is pulling in in a big RV. Im a independant thinker and, can be a real hammerhead when I get an Idea to do something. If I say I want to get 15 miles today more than likely by the days end those 15 miles are going to be behind me.
I have seen some post on AT training do you know anything about that? I live in Iowa, My brotherinlaw lives in North Carolina, near Smoky MTN. Park I could take a week and, attend some training if it is nessisary.
Are any of the books good reads on the AT?