PDA

View Full Version : Transportation issue - Harpers Ferry to DC Airport (& return)

CarlZ993
11-06-2012, 12:43
I'm contemplating a thru-hike in 2013. I have to plan my hike around two Boy Scout trips that year: Grand Canyon backpack trip during Spring Break (Mar 9 - 17) and a Philmont (NM) trek in June (9th - 23rd). If I start my hike not long after the GC trip, I'll probably be around Harpers Ferry around the time I need to fly back for the Philmont trek.

1. From HF, which airport - National or Dulles - would be 'easier' to get to?
2. Is there public transportation available to either?
3. If #2 isn't available, does someone do shuttles for AT hikers that far north?

Worse case scenario, I postpone my hike until 2014. I'd prefer to go in 2013, tho.

Sugarfoot
11-06-2012, 12:53
National is easier. You can take MARC (the commuter rail) or AmTrak from Harpers Ferry into Union Station in D.C. and then take the Metro to National (you have to switch fro the red to the blue line or vice versa at some point). I managed it in reverse in August. The hardest part was figuring out how to use the Metro ticket machine, but a kind transit cop assisted me.

Cookerhiker
11-06-2012, 14:01
Agree that National Airport is easier to get to, especially via public transportation.

Keep in mind that the MARC commuter trains from Harpers ferry only run on weekdays. Schedule here (http://mta.maryland.gov/sites/default/files/BrunswickJuly12.pdf). If you're on a weekend, you can take the one AMTRAK train per day. Leaves Harpers Ferry at 10:55 AM. http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/289/52/Capitol-Limited-Schedule-050712,0.pdf

bogey
11-06-2012, 14:08
the above are both good. I reversed this course several years ago, Metro from Arlington VA, to Union Stn, then train to Harpers Ferry (then I walked back home.) Ironically, I had a choice of MARC to HF or AMTRAK, it was the same train, and while MARC might have been a little more, the AMTRAK price depended on how far in advance I'd booked the trip. MARC was a no-brainer.

Cozy
11-06-2012, 15:27
I'm contemplating a thru-hike in 2013. I have to plan my hike around two Boy Scout trips that year: Grand Canyon backpack trip during Spring Break (Mar 9 - 17) and a Philmont (NM) trek in June (9th - 23rd). If I start my hike not long after the GC trip, I'll probably be around Harpers Ferry around the time I need to fly back for the Philmont trek.

1. From HF, which airport - National or Dulles - would be 'easier' to get to?
2. Is there public transportation available to either?
3. If #2 isn't available, does someone do shuttles for AT hikers that far north?

Worse case scenario, I postpone my hike until 2014. I'd prefer to go in 2013, tho.

I just did this 3 weeks ago. Take the 10:55am AMTRAK (which is routinely late. It got there 1/2 hour late). The ticket, I believe, costs $18 but get it online and print it out beforehand. The train station at Harpers Ferry was open but the ticket office wasn't (it was a Saturday) so I had to pay the conductor when I got on the train $34 (which included an up charge because I didn't have a boarding pass beforehand). Brings you right into Union Station in less than 2 hours, if that.

From Union Station take the subway and make sure you put in $2.05 in the machine. I believe it was the red then yellow lines that take you to Reagan National airport- or yellow to red. If you have an iPhone, you can download an app that shows the routes. Someone had it on their phone when we asked for them for directions. Or you can view the routes on the walls or ask a worker there. Once you get off the lines, you'll have to put your ticket in the turnstile to get out. If it keeps pushing the ticket out without releasing the bar that allows you to pass through, you need to go back to the machine and put more money on the ticket. I initially put $2 in and it got me on the line, but needed an additional $.05 to leave.

It's really pretty easy. Just ask for help if you need it.

-Cozy

CarlZ993
11-06-2012, 15:38
Okay, this looks doable. Thanks, guys. National it is. Now, just gotta get the final 'OK' from the DW to proceed w/ the trek.

Thanks a lot for the info. You undoubtedly save me countless hours of frustration.

Hosaphone
11-06-2012, 16:02

<------ Jealous.

joshuasdad
11-06-2012, 17:48
Don't rule out Dulles (IAD) and Baltimore (BWI) airports, which often offer cheaper, and more direct flights to the Western USA. Shuttles and buses are available, taking 1 to 2 hours longer via DC.

Also, it is "easiest" to take a shuttle to Dulles from the trail. Only 40 miles from HF, and less from the Rt. 7 crossing in Virginia (near Bears Den trail center). If flights are cheaper from Dulles, a shuttle or even a taxi to IAD would be my choice over DCA.

Cookerhiker
11-06-2012, 19:44
Don't rule out Dulles (IAD) and Baltimore (BWI) airports, which often offer cheaper, and more direct flights to the Western USA. Shuttles and buses are available, taking 1 to 2 hours longer via DC.

Also, it is "easiest" to take a shuttle to Dulles from the trail. Only 40 miles from HF, and less from the Rt. 7 crossing in Virginia (near Bears Den trail center). If flights are cheaper from Dulles, a shuttle or even a taxi to IAD would be my choice over DCA.

There are 2 basic options to BWI. One is taking Metro to the Greenbelt station where a shuttle bus goes to the airport. The other - might make more sense for the OP if he's taking the train from Harpers Ferry - is AMTRAK or one of the other MARC lines to BWI.

mussleman1234
11-06-2012, 19:52
Let me know I could probably give you a ride to Dulles airport. I'm only 15 mics from Harpers Ferry and another 40 mics from Dulles. Dulles is much closer than Reagan or BWI airport.

CarlZ993
11-07-2012, 19:55
@mussleman - Thanks for the offer. I'll keep you in mind if the DW lets me go. :)

Comet Omega
11-07-2012, 20:35
Wait until 2014 and I'll join you, I promise not to bail like the JMT!

Camel2012
11-14-2012, 03:41
I made this trip this year, its a simple commute from either. You should have no problem catching the trains, but will just have to coordinate your travel times with your flight and the trains.

Like the other people said, Baltimore has significantly cheaper rates than DC, and is a short train ride.

CarlZ993
11-15-2012, 18:24
@ Camel2012: I like to save money when I can. I'll look into this as well. So many options....

Dogwood
11-15-2012, 23:56
Don't rule out Dulles (IAD) and Baltimore (BWI) airports, which often offer cheaper, and more direct flights to the Western USA.

Ditto +1

CarlZ993
11-28-2012, 14:11
I was planning to go on the Philmont Trek as a solo Adult on my Co-ed Venture Crew (I didn't have a child or grandchild on the hike). We had an opening for another youth on our trek. So, we signed her up. That youth's parent wanted to go w/ her. I yielded my position to him (he'll pay me back, of course, for the fees I've paid so far) so he could do the trek w/ her.

I appreciate all the great info I got from all the posters. Thanks again.

See y'all on the trail.

'Almost there... just around the corner.'

oldbear
11-28-2012, 14:51
Carl
I know that this sounds like a radical suggestion ( hey it's me ) But don't rule out Amtrak
Using your dates the current price is $ 416.00 round trip Amtrak can get you from Harpers Ferry -HFY - to Albuquerque -ABQ - in 48 hrs 39 minutes
which includes a 6 hr WB and a 3 hr EB layover in Chicago
Four days may seem like a lot But if you compare when you leave Trail to when you get back on Trail total time lost to due to travel flying v rail I betcha that flying might save you day But also it will also add a lot of Mickey Mousing to your journey
btw Amtrak leaves HF @ 5:16PM and returns @10:55 AM