PDA

View Full Version : What books have you read during your hike?

Wendigo
11-06-2012, 18:58
I'm working on a blog post article and would be interested in knowing about the books you have read during your A.T. hike. What book most affected you and why? Why did you choose it? Thanks for your input in advance!

Spirit Walker
11-06-2012, 21:26
On my first long hike I tried to read classics, thinking that with no other options, I'd finally get a chance to read some books that I'd missed along the way. With the exception of Guthrie's "The Way West", they all ended up in the hiker box. What I found I really wanted was complete escapism. My favorite was reading the Hobbit out loud at night to my husband. I also read and enjoyed the rest of the Lord of the Rings on one of my hikes. Dune was a good one too, when hiking out west. Mostly I'd read whatever bestseller trash was available at the grocery or in the hiker boxes.

Lone Wolf
11-06-2012, 22:21
Monkeywrench Gang. i so wanted to blow up Fontana dam

The Solemates
11-06-2012, 23:05
read the bible through chronologically. changed me forever.

Sugarfoot
11-07-2012, 09:00
Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, first edition. It got thicker with each edition. It carried me through years of section hikes and took lots of slow pondering to finally start to understand it.

garlic08
11-07-2012, 09:06
I'm an avid reader off-trail, fiction and non-fiction, but on trail if I'm not walking or eating, I'm sleeping. I like my light pack so I do not carry a book. I carry a few sheets of paper with challenging crosswords and sudoku, in case of forced downtime.

fredmugs
11-07-2012, 09:44
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Southern_Highlanders

This book is amazing. Read about what life was like along the NC/TN border in the Smokies before the AT existed.

Bearleg
11-07-2012, 13:10
i do not take books due to weight, but if i did, i would take a cook book because when i am out on long hikes all i think about is food.........

i do down load audio books on my ipod.

SCRUB HIKER
11-07-2012, 16:14
If I bring a book when I'm hiking, I like it to be exploration literature. For instance, when I read about Fridtjof Nansen trying to butcher a walrus as he overwinters on Franz Josef Land in his failed attempt to reach the North Pole in 1894 in Farthest North (http://www.amazon.com/Farthest-North-Modern-Library-Exploration/dp/0375754725), it makes the prospect of getting up the next morning to mosey 20 miles on the temperate AT seem a lot easier. Others that I've read on trail are River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey (http://www.amazon.com/River-Doubt-Theodore-Roosevelts-Darkest/dp/0767913736/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1352319496&sr=1-1&keywords=river+of+doubt) and Undaunted Courage by Steven Ambro (http://www.amazon.com/Undaunted-Courage-Meriwether-Jefferson-American/dp/0684826976/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1352319600&sr=1-1&keywords=undaunted+courage)se.

Don H
11-07-2012, 16:32
The only book I read was the phone book when I was looking for the closest AYCE place :)

Ender
11-07-2012, 16:40
I read a lot while hiking. Pretty much always have a book on me. For my AT thru, a couple of my favorite books during that trip were Shogun, and Dune. Both were long so they lasted many nights of reading, and were engaging so I often stayed up late reading them. But really, I read a crap ton during that trip... I can't remember even a fraction of the books I read during those six months.

max patch
11-07-2012, 16:46
I always had a couple paperbacks with me.

I read the same things on the trail that I do at home. Including, if I left town on a Sunday, the local towns Sunday newspaper. Once I was lucky enough to get hold of a Sunday NY Times.

I think a thru is an ideal time to read the Bible. I didn't take advantage of that opportunity the first time; hopefully I'll do better the next.

Traveling teacher
11-07-2012, 17:14
One of the best books you can read regarding the trail, several people have said better than Bryson, is "sometimes the Appalachain trail is..." I know because I wrote it! So far the reviews have been outstanding and I am grateful. Five stars from all thus far. But keep an open mind, while a true story, the book contains strong language and bad acts. If these offend then don't bother. By J. Michael Osmond. Available on kindle and amazon.

wren again
11-07-2012, 19:50
My son and I brought no books except for trail guides. (We were neophytes and trying to keep pack weight down.) We missed having something to read in the evenings. In Tennessee we were given a paperback copy of "The Case For A Creator", which we cut in half. He carried and read the beginning while I carried and read the end, then we switched. Since it wasn't a story, but more informational, the order didn't matter as much. We really enjoyed reading about the amazing qualities and features of the natural world we were experiencing.

Old Boots
11-07-2012, 19:54
You can load a MP3 player with numerous audible books, listen when it is dark, and it weighs much less.

Giantsbane
11-07-2012, 20:18
Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, first edition. It got thicker with each edition. It carried me through years of section hikes and took lots of slow pondering to finally start to understand it.

Whitman's poetry is so transcendant. I fully plan on having it on my hike. What's amazing is that each time you read it you get something different from the poems and as you get older the meaning changes for you as well. I consider Leaves of Grass my bible.

hikerboy57
11-07-2012, 20:23
You can load a MP3 player with numerous audible books, listen when it is dark, and it weighs much less.

I don't enjoy reading with my ears
Dharma Bums by Jack kerouac. backpacking meets buddha

Hikes in Rain
11-07-2012, 21:01
Monkeywrench Gang. i so wanted to blow up Fontana dam

I loved that book. If you ever do blow the dam, let me know ahead of time, please!

I'm at an odd point in my life. I have a case of unread books waiting for me to read, so on the odd times I get to hike, it's whatever catches my eye. I've ranged from Hemingway to Heinlein and most anything in between. Often tuck in an old woodcraft "how to" book, and try out some new skills, when it's feasible.

fredmugs
11-08-2012, 09:21
One of the best books you can read regarding the trail, several people have said better than Bryson, is "sometimes the Appalachain trail is..." I know because I wrote it! So far the reviews have been outstanding and I am grateful. Five stars from all thus far. But keep an open mind, while a true story, the book contains strong language and bad acts. If these offend then don't bother. By J. Michael Osmond. Available on kindle and amazon.

Every book, with the possible exception of Moby Dick, is better than Bryon's.

colorado_rob
11-08-2012, 10:21
Junk spy novels, like the Vince Flynn "Mitch Rapp" series. Great stuff. I'm just now getting in to the Game of Thrones series (HBO DVD's), but I think I might save the long read for next year's AT attempt. 5 total books. BTW: I'm talking here about Kindle books. Readable on my Droid. Camera/phone/book reader/toy. Take one extra battery, recharge both weekly.

The Solemates
11-08-2012, 11:17
i find it interesting that off-trail readers comment that they dont bring a book on the trail due to weight. thats the one thing I dont mind carrying a little extra - i have to have a book on the trail - for me its part of the experience - reading a book at night in my tent by headlamp. in fact, i usually have at least two books on the trail: one guidebook and one other book. if i go for a long trip, ive been known to take 3 books: one guidebook, one other book, and a bible. i often photocopy pages out of a guidebook though.

in fact, I'm headed out this weekend with a total pack weight of 12 lb. you betcha that includes a book!

Sugarfoot
11-08-2012, 14:32
No offense to Fredmuggs, but Herman Melville is much finer than Bill Byson! Granted, I wouldn't carry Moby Dick except as an e-book. There is a trail connection to Moby Dick. A docent at Arrowhead, Melville's house outside of Pittsfield, MA, suggested that Moby Dick may have been inspired by the shape of Graylock viewed from the south.

bert_wall
11-08-2012, 15:02
I originally thought to not bring any books due to weight.....I quickly realized that leisure time is abundant and a good book is great and worth the 8oz or whatever. Luckily, at most of the shelters and hiker boxes their is a small library of books that other hikers have left. I stumbled upon "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card (left by MasterMind, THANK YOU). It is a quick read and was perfect for my sci-fi nature. As expected, I came across at least 5 copies of Tolkien books, which I obliged and read the Hobbit (funny to read while hiking, because they are walking too). I also found some books on the local plants, which was cool to see what it would be like foraging on the trail!

Dogwood
11-08-2012, 15:03
I've read Edward Abbey's DESERT SOLITAIRE three separate times. Once while thruing the Hayduke Trail in southern Utah and Northern Arizona. Once while thruing the Sierra High Route in Yosemite and Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Parks. And once while hiking in Big Bend National Park in Texas. It's great reading for a solo hike in desert and back country terrain.

RED-DOG
11-08-2012, 15:33
Why read books their more interesting and better things to do.

The Solemates
11-08-2012, 16:05
Why read books their more interesting and better things to do.

For one, it helps one to understand grammar and spelling.

RED-DOG
11-08-2012, 16:12
Are you saying that you need to go back to Elementary school.

snifur
11-08-2012, 16:22
When on the trail there are way more things that i would rather do than read a book. I read too much in my classes. I am on the trail to get away from my everyday life. This weekends trail can not come soon enough!

Pedaling Fool
11-08-2012, 16:23
I just got back from the book store and saw a book titled: Breasts

I love breasts, but didn't buy it, maybe will get it before my next hike:)

http://www.denverpost.com/books/ci_20543957/boulder-author-florence-williams-her-new-book-breasts

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2012/0503/20120503__20120506_E11_BK06BREASTSJ~p1_300.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/portlet/article/html/imageDisplay.jsp?contentItemRelationshipId=4390335 )

snifur
11-08-2012, 16:29
i would read that!

Seldomseen
11-08-2012, 20:25
I gotta go with The Monkey Wrench Gang. I got my trail name from it!

Astro
11-08-2012, 22:55
If I bring a book when I'm hiking, I like it to be exploration literature. For instance, when I read about Fridtjof Nansen trying to butcher a walrus as he overwinters on Franz Josef Land in his failed attempt to reach the North Pole in 1894 in Farthest North (http://www.amazon.com/Farthest-North-Modern-Library-Exploration/dp/0375754725), it makes the prospect of getting up the next morning to mosey 20 miles on the temperate AT seem a lot easier. Others that I've read on trail are River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey (http://www.amazon.com/River-Doubt-Theodore-Roosevelts-Darkest/dp/0767913736/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1352319496&sr=1-1&keywords=river+of+doubt) and Undaunted Courage by Steven Ambro (http://www.amazon.com/Undaunted-Courage-Meriwether-Jefferson-American/dp/0684826976/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1352319600&sr=1-1&keywords=undaunted+courage)se.

I just finished River of Doubt and it is an awesome book I would strongly recommend it! Another benefit is that it would probably make you feel much better about your own hike (level of preparation, chalenges faced).

shelb
11-08-2012, 23:31
I brought The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success by Deepak Chopra. While I wanted to read it, and found it enlightening, after 3 days, I realized that I needed something less philosophical as my mind was too exhausted and preferred to just be entertained rather than have to think. I picked up a general mystery novel at one of our stops and enjoyed reading that each evening for the next 7 days.

grateful 2
11-09-2012, 00:09
My thought exactly!
For one, it helps one to understand grammar and spelling.

Mfrenchy
11-09-2012, 00:55
Someone left Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" in a shelter. I wasn't so worried about weight so I carried it for a week or so while I read it. Definitely an interesting choice for a thru hike.

Bronk
11-09-2012, 02:42
I don't enjoy reading with my ears
Dharma Bums by Jack kerouac. backpacking meets buddha

I really enjoyed this book also. Somebody left it in Sarver Hollow shelter, which was appropriate since there was a Kerouac quote on a plaque nailed to the shelter.

I also liked Peter Jenkins A Walk Across America. I also fell in love with Leo Tolstoy when I found a copy of Anna Karenina in a shelter and have since read everything he has written that has been translated into english, and I loved War and Peace believe it or not.

I read whatever books were left in the shelters. After Erwin it was not unusual to find books left in the shetlers. I'd carry them for as long as it took to read them and then leave them in a shelter for someone else to read.

Cookerhiker
11-09-2012, 09:12
At times, I've brought a pocket New Testament but the last few years, nothing at all. Hike, set up camp, eat, write journal, time for bed.

msupple
11-09-2012, 12:25
AWOL's AT Guide. A captivating read. :)

Cat in the Hat

burk
11-12-2012, 22:46
I just got back from the book store and saw a book titled: Breasts

I love breasts, but didn't buy it, maybe will get it before my next hik
http://www.denverpost.com/books/ci_20543957/boulder-author-florence-williams-her-new-book-breasts

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2012/0503/20120503__20120506_E11_BK06BREASTSJ~p1_300.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/portlet/article/html/imageDisplay.jsp?contentItemRelationshipId=4390335 )

Did you notice if they had in brail. for when its dark.

Different Socks
11-12-2012, 23:15
No books, but I did read mags: Omni, Games, BPer, Outside, Penthouse, Playboy, Adventure West, Mens Journal, and newsletters of several hiking cubs I belong to.

Dogwood
11-12-2012, 23:52
Although not really what the OP asked I carry a small 4 oz total WP journal and WP space pen with me when I thru-hike. As I learn knew sayings, philosophies, poems, writings, encouraging thoughts, bits of wise advice, new ways of thinking, etc that speak to me as I hike I copy them dowm in the journal and keep referring to them through my trek. This way, even after many years have passed since my hike, I can refer back to these journals to recall where I was and what I was thinking at the time and compare it to my present day beliefs. Like I was rightly taught several years ago thru-hiking doesn't just have to be about hiking! It's about the entire journey or life's experiences you have while hiking!

Mr. Toad
11-13-2012, 15:26
I spent some time reading about this book online after seeing your post. I just ordered it from Amazon, it looks very interesting and I'm looking forward to reading it. Thanks for the heads up.

Rasty
11-13-2012, 16:48
I like horror books when hiking.

HikerMom58
11-13-2012, 20:07
Rasty... I seriously doubt you read horror books when hiking... I bet you read cookbooks.:D Off topic but you have never told us what your trail name is while hiking... I think it should be poopsy!:cool:

I only read books for information so I read the shelter registers at all the shelters we pass by.... they can be very entertaining!! :)

MegaDash
11-14-2012, 03:04
The Hunters: Brotherband Chronicles, Book 3 was the book I was impressed mostly and I liked it because I was really in a place just like mentioned in the book.

quilteresq
11-14-2012, 09:48
I haven't yet done a long distance hike, but when we biked the Lewis and Clark trail west to east, I had their journals on my electronic organizer (Compaq something or other - can't even remember the name of it now). It was right around N. Dakota that my reading caught up to their journals. It was amazing to see where the Missouri and Yellowstone rivers converge and read about Lewis and Clark's journey about the same time. That river confluence, until 2003, looked just about the same as when Lewis and Clark saw it. They've since opened a visitor center there, but that's the only thing that mars the view. It was close to Williston, which is the town that's recently grown by leaps and bounds due to gas tracking, so I'm glad I saw it before the oil boom.

Plan to read Ken Follett's WWII books on the trail - on my iPod. Pretty sure I wouldn't want the weight of the physical books. I do plan to buy a small battery back up for my iPhone, which I will use to recharge the Ipod so I can read more on it.

Rasty
11-14-2012, 13:03
Rasty... I seriously doubt you read horror books when hiking... I bet you read cookbooks.:D Off topic but you have never told us what your trail name is while hiking... I think it should be poopsy!:cool:

I only read books for information so I read the shelter registers at all the shelters we pass by.... they can be very entertaining!! :)

Yes I read horror. I really enjoy stories about being killed in the wilderness. I don't know why. Rasty works as a trail name. Most hiking I do is solo so trail name is not real important. The squirrels don't care.

jakedatc
11-14-2012, 13:05
If you have time to read you have time to hike more ;)

Rasty
11-14-2012, 13:35
If you have time to read you have time to hike more ;)

My knees determine the hiking length each day! 16 to 18 miles is enough and leaves a hour to settle down after dinner with a book.

HikerMom58
11-14-2012, 14:06
Yes I read horror. I really enjoy stories about being killed in the wilderness. I don't know why. Rasty works as a trail name. Most hiking I do is solo so trail name is not real important. The squirrels don't care.

Aww... BUSTED!! I didn't know if you would see that comment or not. I LOVE picking on you. So yeah, interesting that you really enjoy stories like that while hiking in the wild. I would say- nerves of steel and no fear for the Rast.:D

Ok soo... if you ever decide to hike up around Daleville VA and I get to meet you... I'll call you Rasty then. ;)

I hear ya and agree with the knees & the longer miles. It's the knees for me 2 but last time out, it was my feet.. *ouch* 33 miles in 2 days killed my feet but no blisters. jakedatc, hush ;).... don't say a word.. ok? I'm old- u must know this about me... LOL!

Old Hiker
11-14-2012, 16:06
Found two free classics on my phone - 3 Musketeers and Wuthering Heights. Started 3 Musketeers - really enjoyed it. Downloaded one by Bernard Cornwell from his Saxon Chronicles and enjoyed it during the evenings when I stopped a bit early and I didn't want to get to sleep right away.

I also picked up the Hobbit at a shelter and re-read it, dropping it off in Hot Springs. I also picked up a couple of Sci-Fiction paperbacks here and there and a Louis LaMour I hadn't read in decades. I'm omnivorous in my reading - pretty much anything.

cliffordbarnabus
11-15-2012, 13:53
kerouac. a must.

lukabrazi
11-26-2012, 22:32
+1 Dharma Bums

Hill Ape
11-27-2012, 05:23
one doesn't just read kerouac, if it aint spoken word you're doin it all wrong

Pedaling Fool
11-27-2012, 10:18
I have a nice choice I'm now reading, it's small, compact and just a fun read.

How Bad Are Bananas?
THE CARBON FOOTPRINT OF EVERYTHING

Mike Berners-Lee

It shows how people who are concerned about their carbon FP actually only focus on their carbon Toe Print, by only looking at their house and transportation expenditures.

So if you're like me and trying to do your part in warming up the world, you can use this book to exponentially increase your personal contribution. It's a feel-good book:D

skyhiker2
11-30-2012, 00:50
The best books I read were ones I found either in a shelter or in town.. stephen king wendel berry crow etc...

Justinla45
11-30-2012, 03:15
A book that absolutely changed my life and started a new addicting hobby was Born To Run by Christopher Mcdougall. I read it while I was on the trail last year it was a quick read but it is perfect for the app trail.

redironman
11-30-2012, 07:47
I read only cook books during hiking, Hunger is one of my main concerns.