PDA

View Full Version : Trail conditions/Phone accessibility in Smokies

lancediggler
11-07-2012, 10:55
After most of the snow from Sandy had melted, two days ago my cousin resumed his hike northbound from Newfound Gap in the Smokies. He is well-prepared, but I have not heard from him. I am assuming this is because the remoteness of the area means there is no cell phone accessibility. First, can anyone confirm this? Second, does anyone have any knowledge of the trail conditions? There seems to have been some more snow, and I am a bit concerned.

Josh Calhoun
11-07-2012, 11:49
cell service is definatly spotty through there.pretty much non existant with anything but verizon. "in my experience anyway" not sure on the trail conditions right now

HikerMom58
11-07-2012, 13:21
Ummm.... I'm sure if you called the Park someone would be able to give you current trail conditions. I agree with Josh about the cell service in the Smokies. Verizon has the best coverage when you are able to get a signal. Hope you hear from your cousin soon.

moldy
11-07-2012, 13:36
Get the best trail reports from the NPS web page. Cell service has always been poor in the park

HooKooDooKu
11-07-2012, 15:08
NOAA indicates that snow is still a foot deep at the highest elevations: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/productview.php?pil=mrxrtpmrx

Shouldn't be a big deal, but if you're the 1st one having to tamp down a foot of snow, that will obviously slow down your pace.

Biggest danger would be a slip on the ice and getting an injury that slows you down. Otherwise, the weather heading into the weekend is looking great.

Did your cousin leave any detailed plans (such as a planned phone call when he completed the Smokies section)?

WingedMonkey
11-07-2012, 15:21
I'm going to assume that evansprater is who you are referring to?

Said he was aware of the conditions and lack of phone service:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?89212-Hike-Rescued-tried-to-go-out-today&p=1357914&highlight=#post1357914

He probably should have had a plan B, to keep you informed.

HikerMom58
11-07-2012, 15:46
I'm going to assume that evansprater is who you are referring to?

Said he was aware of the conditions and lack of phone service:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?89212-Hike-Rescued-tried-to-go-out-today&p=1357914&highlight=#post1357914

He probably should have had a plan B, to keep you informed.

OMGosh, that's the first person I thought of when I read this thread... evansprater. I'm sure he is fine, if, in fact, he's the cousin. I know we all will be anxious to hear from him ourselves... :)

1stgenfarmboy
11-07-2012, 16:54
snow at Mt LeConte this morning is 17 inches, and it is still snowing a little.

the snow line is pretty high in the Smokeys but from dayhikers going up to LeConte they say the trail from New Found gap is pretty hard going, when it gets up closer to the lodge there are 4 ft drifts to contend with.

I'm shure your cousin is smart enough not to take chances in conditions like this.

Dar

lancediggler
11-07-2012, 16:57
You are great detectives. I just a got a text that he is at Davenport Gap Shelter. He said the Smokies were "intense." Thanks for your replies, and thanks for caring.

1stgenfarmboy
11-07-2012, 17:01
great news...

gizzy bear
11-07-2012, 17:28
OMGosh, that's the first person I thought of when I read this thread... evansprater. I'm sure he is fine, if, in fact, he's the cousin. I know we all will be anxious to hear from him ourselves... :)

that is exactly who i thought of as well... i am glad to hear all is well!!!! :D

HikerMom58
11-07-2012, 18:20
that is exactly who i thought of as well... i am glad to hear all is well!!!! :D

Me 2... :D Music to our ears!! Thanks for letting us know lancediggler.

RED-DOG
11-08-2012, 15:17
Theirs no phone accesibility in the smokies or very little and the trail condition well that is what it is.