PDA

View Full Version : NJ section hike question

gumball
05-18-2005, 06:26
Hi--we are planning a section hike of NJ, continuing on for a small portion of NY, in August. I was hoping I could get some information from folks who have been in this section in this last year, particularly about water supply, and any other issues that might be helpful to be aware of.

Our trip planner is under the belief that water is plentiful; however, the ATC website notes natural water sources are scarce and sometimes polluted--so, I'd like to know what people have experienced here.

Anything else anyone would like to add about their experiences with this section would be great--thanks so much! :)

The Roaming Badger
05-18-2005, 08:55
Go to the Spring at Brink Road Shelter

Delicious, crisp, cold water....some of the best water I ever had flowing right from the ground

Didn't get sick either

There's also a few pumps that taste like pipes but should be safe

Badger

stupe
05-18-2005, 11:10
I just did High Point NJ to Rt.17 NY a couple of weeks ago, and I got water at the picnic area water fountain in High Point, not far from the High Point Shelter. Just before Pochuck Shelter, there is an empty house with a sign posted that you can get water from the spigot. My third day out, the spring was running at Wildcat Shelter, but don't count on it, especially if the weather continues dry. Crossing Rt 17A, just before Wildcat, there was a sign for an ice cream stand 0.1 of a mile north. I did'nt visit it, but a recent trail register entry said that they were open and that they sell bottled water. All the streams I saw were running, but it was rainy around then.

neo
05-18-2005, 11:30
i did a section from delaware water gap pa/nj state line to dalton mass last may
i never had a problem with water,plus there is trail magic in the bear boxes at shelters.about a mile past pochuck shelter to your right there is a sign that says water,it is a bear box with bottled water,trail snacks,and other hiker goodies
:cool: neo

LIhikers
05-18-2005, 17:32
During the first week of April 2005 I hiked through western NJ, to Unionville, NY. There was plenty of water and the shelters were all in good condition.

gumball
05-18-2005, 17:36
This is good news--thanks to all who are responding.

Just out of curiousity--how are the bears....?

neo
05-18-2005, 21:26
This is good news--thanks to all who are responding.

Just out of curiousity--how are the bears....?
i never saw any bears,i did see some bear prints about a mile before i reached the nj/ny state line:cool: neo

Catsgoing
05-18-2005, 21:29
I saw a Bear @ Springer Mountain... I was so thankful my dogs didn't bark!

Askus3
05-19-2005, 09:13
At the NY 17A road crossing is Bellvale Farms Ice Cream stand. As Stupe said it is .1 mile west of the AT crossing and worth the short walk. Fresh natural ice cream and bottled water on sale. Can also fill up water bottles in rest room.

stupe
05-19-2005, 09:21
Forgot to mention......the water source at Wawayanda Shelter is the maintenance building water spigot at the park headquarters, a couple of hundred yards away from the shelter.

Nean
05-19-2005, 09:31
I've done this section 5x and never had problems with water, and I'm one of those fools that don't filter, etc. As for the bears, all the ones I met were very friendy and liked to be scratched behind the ears.

A-Train
05-22-2005, 23:04
Gumball-

Hopefully in about a week or so I can provide you with current info on NJ water sources, as I'll be spending the next 4 months working on the NJ section, as one of 3 ridgerunners.

I can say now that there are a lot of bears (about one per square mile) and your chances of seeing one in august is pretty likely. Please utilize the bear boxes provided at the shelters and camp at these spots. Water has never been a problem for me in this section, and I don't imagine it will be this year, though that area has been experiencing a drought recently.

I'll let you know soon about conditions, and if you have specific questions, don't hold back. Please say hi if you run into me this summer.

gumball
05-23-2005, 05:38
Thanks a bunch A-Train--we'll see you on the trail!

MileMonster
05-23-2005, 09:07
I didn't see any bears last year but saw plenty of reports in the shelter registers. Don't eat/cook in the shelters and keep food in the boxes.

orangebug
05-23-2005, 21:07
I believe it was the Rutherford shelter where I was putting my foodbag into the metal box. Right in front of the box was a huge pile of bear scat.

I didn't sleep all that well in my tent nearby.

Smile
05-23-2005, 22:01
So when do you think the NOBO's will be up in PA/NJ?

A-Train
05-23-2005, 22:30
So when do you think the NOBO's will be up in PA/NJ?

About 20 or so NOBO's have entered New Jersey and about 90 have supposedly come thru Harpers Ferry as of yesterday, so they are starting to roll thru. All of June and July will have Nobo's coming thru Penn and NJ

Smile
05-23-2005, 22:30
Thanks A-Train ;-)

DustyBoots
05-23-2005, 22:37
It looks like you got some pretty good info. i have hiked Nj many times. If you plan to camp at Pochuck shelter make sure that you carry water up to the shelter. I'm not sure if the house near the trail still has water available. If northbound you can get water from the Walkill River a few miles before the shelter. I have had problems with water in NY. In the dry season many neighbors of the trail will leave water at the road crossings. It makes me a little nervious using it though, (possible vandelism).

Many thru hikers have a bad habit of cooking and eating in the shelters in bear country. I have seen bears come right into the shelter at Rutherford for food. The sound of backpacker stoves is a dinner bell for them. I had a mom and 3 cubs come into my camp behind Rutherford and help her self to one of our dinners. This was a few years ago. The park rangers started going to the shelters at meal time and they shot the bears with rubber bullets and bean bags. This seems to have put the fear of man into them. We also had a bear hunt last year which should also teach the bears that man is a bad thing. I have not heard of to many encounters at the shelters lately. Bears have killed a small horse and a dog so far this year. I believe the dog was a threat to the bears cubs. The horse, well, it was after hibrinating all winter. I guess the bear was just hungry. I don't mean to scare you. I still feel comfortable hiking and camping on the A.t. in NJ. Just be careful with food and give the bears plenty of space.

gumball
06-19-2005, 15:11
Thanks Dusty Boots--you didn't scare me. Ticks bother me more than the thought of bears, but we will take all precautions.

A-Train--how's the ridgerunning going, and how's this years water supply--any concerns, or should we be okay?

A-Train
06-20-2005, 13:02
Hey Gumball-

Ridgerunning in Jersey is going great and the thru-hikers have been rolling thru in force.

No real water issues so far. Last week the ridge between Gren Anderson and High Point was dry, but recent rain returned the spring at Rutherford Shelter (long way down) and about 20 jugs have been re-filled at Mashipacong shelter. During the hot spell all the jugs were empty and people were having trouble.

Brinks Shelter, Gren Anderson, High Point shelters all have good running water. Pochuck Shelter has a NJ DEP house at the bottom of the hill/Liberty Corners Rd with H20. Wawayanda Shelter has water from the park headquarters. The pumps at the Secret Shelter and High Point Park HQ are working fine. The Blue Mtn Lakes Rd pump is working fine, and there is always water from sunfish Pond and the pump at Dunfield Creek.

All around, no real issues. Lots of bear sightings by myself and tons by thru-hikers. A sow and a cub came 10 feet from High Pt Shelter last night looking for dinner!

Hope to see ya out there. Say hello!

gumball
06-20-2005, 22:27
A-Train, you're a gem--thanks! We'll be sure to see you and say hello :)

Hey Gumball-

Ridgerunning in Jersey is going great and the thru-hikers have been rolling thru in force.

No real water issues so far. Last week the ridge between Gren Anderson and High Point was dry, but recent rain returned the spring at Rutherford Shelter (long way down) and about 20 jugs have been re-filled at Mashipacong shelter. During the hot spell all the jugs were empty and people were having trouble.

Brinks Shelter, Gren Anderson, High Point shelters all have good running water. Pochuck Shelter has a NJ DEP house at the bottom of the hill/Liberty Corners Rd with H20. Wawayanda Shelter has water from the park headquarters. The pumps at the Secret Shelter and High Point Park HQ are working fine. The Blue Mtn Lakes Rd pump is working fine, and there is always water from sunfish Pond and the pump at Dunfield Creek.

All around, no real issues. Lots of bear sightings by myself and tons by thru-hikers. A sow and a cub came 10 feet from High Pt Shelter last night looking for dinner!

Hope to see ya out there. Say hello!