PDA

View Full Version : bounce boxes

melaniebk
11-08-2012, 00:21
I haven't found a thread for my specific question. I understand the types of things one might include in a bounce box, and it seems like something that could be useful. Can it be sent to hostels that accept mail drops, or should it only be sent to post offices? I'm assuming that as I remove things or off load things the weight will change and it will need to be re weighed and I'll have to pay postage to send it farther on. That would be no problem at a p.o., other than making sure I arrive during business hours, but how does it work if I send it to a hostel? And, if I arrive and know I don't need anything out of it and don't open it, can I just forward it to the next place I might need it without paying postage again?

Zipper
11-08-2012, 01:07
I used a flat rate postal box and often had it mailed to hostels or outfitters. Because it was a flat rate box, I could just go online and pay the postage and print a mailing label without having to go to the post office and I did that multiple times. So yes, the weight changes but I never had to worry about the weight.

If you don't open it, you don't have to pay postage and can forward it. But I always opened mine because it had things like refills of q-tips and ibuprofen and little journals and it also had a bunch of greeting cards - I would buy cards when I found them and then store them in my bounce box and send them to my husband. I also had town clothes and a favorite shampoo and other things I wanted in town. I didn't send my bounce box to every town - just every few weeks or so.

Hope this helps!

Don H
11-08-2012, 07:51
If you send it to a business that business in effect takes possession of the package for you (at your request). In order to send it forward you would have to take it to a PO and pay to send it.

If you send it to a PO you can send it forward if you don't take possession of the package. Even this can create problems. I was with a guy in Erwin who had a package sent to the Unicoi PO and decided to bounce it forward. The PO employee handed him the package and a label and asked him to address it and attach it to the box. When the hiker handed the box back to the PO employee (unopened, only relabeled) he was charged the full fee to ship which was just over $17. The PO claimed he "took possession" when he relabeled it.

Bounce boxes are a PIA and are generally not needed. I would try to avoid them.

melaniebk
12-02-2012, 21:35
I used a flat rate postal box and often had it mailed to hostels or outfitters. Because it was a flat rate box, I could just go online and pay the postage and print a mailing label without having to go to the post office and I did that multiple times. So yes, the weight changes but I never had to worry about the weight.

If you don't open it, you don't have to pay postage and can forward it. But I always opened mine because it had things like refills of q-tips and ibuprofen and little journals and it also had a bunch of greeting cards - I would buy cards when I found them and then store them in my bounce box and send them to my husband. I also had town clothes and a favorite shampoo and other things I wanted in town. I didn't send my bounce box to every town - just every few weeks or so.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, Zipper! This is exactly the info I was looking for; I especially like the part about town clothes in the bounce box.

melaniebk
12-02-2012, 21:43
Thanks, Don! The forewarning about accidentally taking possession is noted, as is your thought that bounce boxes are a PIA. That may prove to be my experience as well, but I think I'll start out with a bounce box. I don't have a lot of girly ways, but I might like getting cleaned up and dressing for a night out, particularly when the family comes out to meet us in town.

jeffmeh
12-02-2012, 22:00

Hope this helps!

That system works very well, and as a plus you are not limited by PO hours.

Don H
12-03-2012, 13:31
Doesn't hurt to start out with one and see how it works for you. Things like meds or small quantities of consumables can be sent from home (except fuel).

Although I never "bounced" a box I did get packages from home about once a month which always included a new pair of trail runners (5 pairs total).

If you're going to send a box to a hostel, outfitter or other business then I would call ahead and make sure they will accept it even if a guidebook says they will. Also some places charge. Also there have been reports of boxes coming up missing at places other than POs.

Some people do bounce food ahead to places where it was known that food stores were limited. Take a look at Baltimore Jacks resupply article on the home page here to get an idea of where that would be a good option.

Also you didn't say but I assumed you're thru-hiking?

Good Luck on your hike!

melaniebk
12-03-2012, 21:31
[QUOTE=Don H;
Also you didn't say but I assumed you're thru-hiking?
QUOTE]

Hi Don, Yes my daughter and I will be SOBO around June 28th and hiking 'til we're done. She's graduating from Warren Wilson College in May, and I'm taking an indefinate LOA from work. We're super excited!

Don H
12-08-2012, 23:22
Good luck and have fun.

boarstone
12-09-2012, 07:30
If family is coming to meet and go out, send resupply to them for that meetup with change of clothes etc.

OzJacko
12-09-2012, 07:41
Thanks for the info in this thread.
As we don't have "local" family, my son and i intend to bounce a box about 4 or 5 times over the hike with a few items and to similarly put cards (souvenirs etc) in as we go.
We will open it every time so paying each one is OK.

Grampie
12-09-2012, 12:38
Before you decide to have a bounce box consider the following. If you don't have special needs,ie, medicine and other items not readialy available in stores don't bother. Most items needed by thru-hikers are available in towns along the trail and can be purchased as you need them. Having a bounce box and the required ties to the P.O. is just another inconvenience a thru-hiker doesn't need to deal with. Part of being a sucessfull thru-hiker is to be independant, so cut as many ties to the real world as you can and focus on the hike.
p.s. Most thru-hikers don't use a bounce box.