PDA

View Full Version : lighter sports sandals

Mike
05-18-2005, 09:15
I just finished "refurbishing" a pair of teva mush flip flops. I used my bandsaw to cut the sandals in half (seperating the footbed from the tread). I then removed the original 'thong' straps and replaced them with a teva-esque arrangement of 3/4" nylon webbing and velcro. I didn't use a long horizontal strap from the ankle to the toe like tevas use. I just put on a loop of strap at the toe and then made a loop of strap around the ankle. If I had a digital camera I would post the pics.

I then used polyurethane glue to join the footbed and the tread back together. However I had a gluing mishap. The poly glue foams up quite a bit and forced the footbed and the sole to slide about 1/4" so they look pretty trashy. Next time I make something like this I will use pins to keep the sandals from shifting during glue up. Or I will use a different glue that doesnt foam up like the poly does.

Anyway, total weight for 1 pair of size 13 sandals.... 8oz!

I consider this a wonderful 'proof of concept' and will probably make another pair in the future. I am going to trim off the excess from the shift during gluing and take them with me to the smokies this weekend... Should be just fine for camp and fording.

Tha Wookie
05-18-2005, 10:46
Wow- impressive tinkering!

Of all the gear, it seems that footwear is the least altered.

Ever notice how many people make home-made packs, tents, bags, clothes, even filters and lights, but no footwear?

I heard about indiginous people in South America who make theirs out of tires. I wonder how many miles they can get with a pair?

hikerjohnd
05-18-2005, 10:55
I just finished "refurbishing" a pair of teva mush flip flops. I used my bandsaw to cut the sandals in half (seperating the footbed from the tread). I then removed the original 'thong' straps and replaced them with a teva-esque arrangement of 3/4" nylon webbing and velcro. I didn't use a long horizontal strap from the ankle to the toe like tevas use. I just put on a loop of strap at the toe and then made a loop of strap around the ankle. If I had a digital camera I would post the pics.

I then used polyurethane glue to join the footbed and the tread back together. However I had a gluing mishap. The poly glue foams up quite a bit and forced the footbed and the sole to slide about 1/4" so they look pretty trashy. Next time I make something like this I will use pins to keep the sandals from shifting during glue up. Or I will use a different glue that doesnt foam up like the poly does.

Anyway, total weight for 1 pair of size 13 sandals.... 8oz!

I consider this a wonderful 'proof of concept' and will probably make another pair in the future. I am going to trim off the excess from the shift during gluing and take them with me to the smokies this weekend... Should be just fine for camp and fording.
Would love to see pics!

Footslogger
05-18-2005, 11:46
I heard about indiginous people in South America who make theirs out of tires. I wonder how many miles they can get with a pair?=======================================
The "tire sandal" was pretty popular in SE Asia during the Viet Nam era. Sometimes called Ho Chi Min sandals, they were made from the tread surface of old jeep tires and attached to the feet with cords. I got a pair in 1968 that lasted for years. They were a bit on the heavy side, depending on the type of tire tread used, but were nearly impossible to wear out.

'Slogger

slabfoot
05-19-2005, 15:41
link to tire sandal instructions
www.hollowtop.com/sandals.htm

regards, bill

neo
05-20-2005, 14:32
a friend of mine swears by her Keen sandal and Smart wool sock combo.:cool: neo

http://www.keenfootwear.com/mens/portland.html

Tha Wookie
05-20-2005, 15:01
link to tire sandal instructions
www.hollowtop.com/sandals.htm (http://www.hollowtop.com/sandals.htm)

regards, bill
Wow. what a great link. That is some killer info. I'm about to go look for a tire.

Stoker53
05-20-2005, 17:23
Wow- impressive tinkering!.........
I heard about indiginous people in South America who make theirs out of tires. I wonder how many miles they can get with a pair?

I'll bet they get more miles than some Asolos I've read about recently.:-?

betic4lyf
09-14-2005, 18:21
barefoot sucks, socks and sandals are amazing. i tried hiking greylock once barefoot, and got maybe 5-6 miles in when i popped a blister gotten from a fire earlier. that meant that it needed covering. after i put on my socks and sandals, and really started booking it.from barely 2 mph to 4 or so

i normally hike in montrail masai's