PDA

View Full Version : Most Beloved Gear

Feral Bill
11-08-2012, 14:29
To try a different twist: What is the one piece of gear you have the strongest personal attachment to? I'll start off with my SVEA stove.

RED-DOG
11-08-2012, 14:33
My Mountain Hardwear Dirretsima Back Pack can't live with out it.

FarmerChef
11-08-2012, 14:35
1st place goes to my original penny stove. It tends to burn a little hot now but I still carry it with me. Lots of sentimental value
2nd place goes to my smartwool mid-weights and base layer. It's magic - I swear! Best Christmas present ever.

snifur
11-08-2012, 14:39
For me it is my bandana. my son gave it to me and it has been with me for many trips. it has seen some dark places and been there when i had to stop and enjoy the moment. it cleans, filters, dries and wipes. it has been there and done anything i have asked it to and never complained. it brings comfort and memories everytime i pick it up. i wear it when at home or on the trail, it is that important to me.

Sugarfoot
11-08-2012, 14:42
I love my Patagonia R-1 Hoody in Mango. It's comfortable over bare skin in the 50's, in the 40's with silk-weight long underwear and down to freezing with hat and gloves. The color is almost tangerine and it is soooo soft. It is my equivalent of Linus' blanket and I wouldn't be without it.

Zippy Morocco
11-08-2012, 15:10
Probably my MYOG wind shirt. Very useful, light and stylish.

Rasty
11-08-2012, 15:23
My Outdoor Research 2 person Kitchen organizer. The only kitchen stuff inside is a spork and 2 titanium tent pegs for my Caldera stove. I use it to organize every small item I carry. Batteries, Spork, Vitamin I, 20' of 2mm cord, Tiny bit of soap, etc. It has a hook which can hang off anything and a night hangs up inside my tent. It weighs about 4 ounces empty.

Cadenza
11-08-2012, 15:34
My Slinglight chair. http://slinglight.com

You can sit up and cook, lay back and relax,....you can even sleep in it.
Keeps your butt off the ground and more comfortable than any ground pad.

I bought mine in 1990 and have never even considered leaving it behind on any trip since.
Just recently bought a second one as a loaner as I get tired of everyone else wanting to use MY chair in camp.
I talked to the owner of the company when I placed the order and he said he's getting older and thinking about hanging it up in a couple more years.
Get 'em while you still can.

jakedatc
11-08-2012, 15:52
Osprey exos 58 and 34.. after having a pack that fit like crap for many years, these just slipped on and felt perfect out of the box.

also my REI zip off pants.. i've had them since High school and are still going strong.

peakbagger
11-08-2012, 15:55
I have a plastic cup left over from 40 years ago when I was boy scout, nothing special except it has my name and troop number scratched in it. It still goes on every backpacking trip.

Monkeywrench
11-08-2012, 17:11
To try a different twist: What is the one piece of gear you have the strongest personal attachment to? I'll start off with my SVEA stove.

+1 on the Svea. When I read the thread title the first thing that popped into my mind was my old Svea 123. I got rid of it in a move some years ago, but I still have a warm place in my heart for the jet-engine roar of that old stove.

max patch
11-08-2012, 17:29
My Outdoor Research 2 person Kitchen organizer. The only kitchen stuff inside is a spork and 2 titanium tent pegs for my Caldera stove. I use it to organize every small item I carry. Batteries, Spork, Vitamin I, 20' of 2mm cord, Tiny bit of soap, etc. It has a hook which can hang off anything and a night hangs up inside my tent. It weighs about 4 ounces empty.

I use something similar. Ounce weenies are gonna turn their noses up at it, but like you say its a wonderful organizer. Mine also has a fabric handle on it so you can carry it around like a purse in town.

To answer the thread question, its my Svea. Those who have used one understand why.

Mags
11-08-2012, 17:43
My boonie hat!
http://www.pmags.com/gear-review-the-boonie-hat

bannerstone
11-08-2012, 17:43
A wooden spoon that I carved from a piece of cherry, the red has darkened beautifully with age. It's always gotten good comments around the campfire and it's surprislingly light. Hmmm.... Christmas is just around the corner maybe I should be carving this year for gift ideas. :)

David

Franco
11-08-2012, 18:58
About the only two items that I have always with me are my Opinel knife and my Casio watch.
All the other bits compete to jump into my backpack (or stay at home...)

Rocket Jones
11-08-2012, 19:59
Gotta be my Swiss Army Knife. My wife bought it for me in Germany 25 years ago and I carry it daily (except for airports).

I bought a Leatherman Squirt S2 last year to carry because it was lighter, but after one trip I went back to my SAK. It just didn't feel right not having it handy.

RodentWhisperer
11-08-2012, 21:18
This is contrary to any and all backpackers' ways of thinking, but... I love my iPad. I can get 3-4 days worth of battery life when it's in airplane mode. It stores digital topographic maps. It stores a Kindle-full of readings. It lets me type my journal entries. And I can play sudoku, euchre, and Scrabble. It's easy to store it in a dry sack, take it out when I'm in my shelter, and protect it from all the elements.

atbackpacker
11-08-2012, 21:50
+1 on my SVEA. bought it in 1974 and still use it. burns like a rocket!

LIhikers
11-08-2012, 21:58
I guess it's my Montbell, ultralight, superstretch, downhugger #2.

xokie
11-08-2012, 22:32
The old and overweight Trangia.

(Secret new love: Kindle)

Dr. Professor
11-08-2012, 23:02

Tough to say. I'm a huge poles guy, but I'm not particularly attached to my specific poles. I love having a little bit of scotch at night, but that's not exactly what you mean.... I guess I'll go with the carabiners my uncle gave me for my hammock -- they're antique and have been in constant use since well before I was born.

HikerMom58
11-08-2012, 23:33
Well, I don't have a favorite piece of gear... I love it all!! I guess I will have to say I love my pack... it's like an old friend. I'm happy when I get it out and get ready to go. (Except my sleeping pad... I don't like it.)

PD230SOI
11-08-2012, 23:50
My MSR Whisperlite International, almost 25 years old, lots of wonderful memories.

i hope my young sons develop an attachment to a piece of gear like I have - my work here would be done.

Red Hat
11-09-2012, 09:04
Wow, I am so shocked because I thought everyone loved their sleeping bags the most. So far only post #19 said that! Me, I love my Western Mountaineering bags. Both of them! One sleeps a little warmer than the other, so I use if for winter camping. The lighter one can take me most of the year and I carry it on my long distance hikes.

Drybones
11-09-2012, 15:32
I'm mighty fond of my tent, everything else I could probably replace with another brand and be happy.

maybe clem
11-09-2012, 15:54
My Golite Gust.

Tom Murphy
11-09-2012, 16:29
SVEA 123R = reliable

Mrs Baggins
11-09-2012, 17:43
First, my poles. I've had them for 9 years and I've taken them to Chile, Argentina, Scotland, England, New Zealand, and on a 3 month road trip from Maryland to Alaska and back. Second, my pocket rocket stove. So fast, so easy to light and relight. Gallons of hot coffee, tea, and innumerable hot meals.

Firefighter503
11-09-2012, 21:05
Easy decision for me. My Montbell EX Light Down Jacket - ridiculously light and warm.

Closely followed by both of my Montbell Sleeping Bags.

Cary75
11-10-2012, 00:06
My stoic down jacket. It is the only perfect piece of backpacking gear that I own... Long enough, hood, cute and lightweight. Not to mention,anything thar warms me when I'm cold is dearly beloved. What more could a girl want?
cary

Spirit Bear
11-10-2012, 00:14
My camera, I have a nikkon pocket camera that is clipped to my shoulder strap. It is my security blanket when hiking, I can't hike without it. Nothing practical about it related to hiking.

Equipment-My Osprey backpack. It is on the heavy side but I love the comfort.

Mountain Mike
11-10-2012, 00:16
My overstuffed Feathered Fried Rock Wren (now they offer it as Winter Wren) A wearable sleeping bag with arm zips & drawstring at the foot. I can get up & make breakfast without getting out of it!

ChinMusic
11-10-2012, 01:03
Icebreaker Hopper (merino wool top)

Leanthree
11-10-2012, 01:37
Easy decision for me. My Montbell EX Light Down Jacket - ridiculously light and warm.

Closely followed by both of my Montbell Sleeping Bags.

This is the one I am most excited to own. My most beloved is my grey EMS fleece purchased about 11 years ago. It has lost most of its loft and I had a terrible nosebleed all over it in 2003, melted the sleeve by the wrist a good amount in 2006 and one collar droops a bit more than the other so I look lopsided when I wear it. It got replaced in my backpack 2 years ago but still serves as a good mid-layer when skiing.

Firefighter503
11-10-2012, 18:37
This is the one I am most excited to own. My most beloved is my grey EMS fleece purchased about 11 years ago. It has lost most of its loft and I had a terrible nosebleed all over it in 2003, melted the sleeve by the wrist a good amount in 2006 and one collar droops a bit more than the other so I look lopsided when I wear it. It got replaced in my backpack 2 years ago but still serves as a good mid-layer when skiing.

That fleece has character. Cheers!

Hosaphone
11-10-2012, 23:41

+1. I have the down inner parka. I can't help smiling a little every time I put it on.

Old Hillwalker
11-11-2012, 08:02
My Boonie Hat from my tour in Viet Nam 1968. Never leave home witout it.

Wise Old Owl
11-11-2012, 12:13
After all the years of sleeping on the ground tents, bivys, etc.- The real comfort of the Hennessy Hammock

OzJacko
11-12-2012, 08:23
My Billy!
And I win because I have a T-shirt with it's picture on it!!!:D

bobp
11-12-2012, 08:47
I have the same attachment to my SVEA. It is older than I am... and may be working a little better than I am these days.

staehpj1
11-12-2012, 09:55
I have the same attachment to my SVEA. It is older than I am... and may be working a little better than I am these days.
Actually mine makes me kind of sad because I do have an attachment to it, but it doesn't make the cut weight wise.

k2basecamp
11-12-2012, 10:05
Of course my alpenlite external frame backpack from 1979. A work of art and and the best piece of equipment I have owned.

msupple
11-12-2012, 10:58
Any of my multitude of hammocks. :) Love em' all for many reasons.

Cat in the Hat

Thirsty DPD
11-12-2012, 12:07
My Boonie Hat from my tour in Viet Nam 1968. Never leave home witout it.

Good thing your hat can't talk.

I cut my hiking stick from a maple sapling that wasn't goin' to amount to much in the fall of '80. I see value in trekking poles, but can't leave Wilbur at home, he's w/ me every trip.

Nicknack
11-12-2012, 22:59
Exofficio boxers! Can wear them for days straight without feeling funky, plus they're super comfortable!

And my Gregory Baltoro, I love that pack!

Odd Man Out
11-13-2012, 12:52
I have two:

Barmah Kangaroo Squashy Hat
http://www.barmahhats.com.au/images/1018HS_w_text.jpg

Victorinox Tinker
http://www.swissarmy.com/medias/sys_master/celum_assets/8826992656414_SAK_1_4603__S1_22409_eps_1.jpg