PDA

View Full Version : Taking a sip of the Ultra-Light Kool Aid...

Double Wide
11-08-2012, 18:31
While no one could ever accuse me of being a gram-weenie (with my 4 lb external-frame pack and two-man tent), today I dipped my toe into the UL water. I finally ditched the footprint that goes with my tent (an REI Quarterdome T2) and picked up a sheet of polycryo as to use as a footprint for the tent or protective layer under my pad if I'm in the shelter (thanks to suggestions here at WB!). This is in addition to ditching my heavy self-inflating pad and getting a NeoAir X-Lite two weeks ago.

I also picked up a weighs-next-to-nothing sit pad from Gossamer Gear. With that, and the polycryo, the FedEx guy asked me if they'd shipped me an empty box when I signed for it.

I'm slowly working on getting my cold weather load down from 36 lbs. Got a ways to go, but I'm not giving up the tent--I like it too much. Will probably change backpacks next summer, but if I *had* to go in 2013, I could make it with the gear I currently have. But I'm not going until 2014, so if the budget allows, I'm probably going to get a Western Mountaineering sleeping bag, too.

Anyhow, it's always a thrill to see the total weight of the backpack come down a few ounces!

Maddog
11-08-2012, 19:20
Congrats! Maddog:D

keepinitsimple
11-08-2012, 19:27
I dig it. I have been through an ultra heavy phase, to cooking with 2 rocks and a fuel tab, to just accepting what I have, and getting in the car and going. I have detailed notes of pack weights, distances, times etc. Most of my gear still bares the scars of the ultralight mania phase, so I travel pretty trim now anyway. I learned a lot researching and playing with the ultralight world, and I enjoy it. But I just cant keep up weighing everything and that obsession. I have had 2 knee surgeries, so the weight reduction helped a lot. What I appreciated most about the ultralight movement was its focus on doing more with less, multi-use items, and accepting your brain as the most important piece of gear.

QiWiz
11-10-2012, 08:46
Nicely done. UL gets addictive. BE CAREFUL !!

FarmerChef
11-10-2012, 09:20
The first taste is free. The rest will cost ya :D When you're still trying to shave that last .001 grams from your pack come on in for some UL counseling.

Great job lightening your load!

fishing
11-12-2012, 16:24
Goodbye dear friend.