PDA

View Full Version : Best WP Boot under $100

Peakhunter
11-08-2012, 23:02
I'm introducing my brother-in-law to hiking and he is in need of some waterproof hiking boots, what do you recommend under $100

Rocket Jones
11-09-2012, 07:01
A regular, non-waterproof boot, and a pair of crocs for water crossings.

Old Hiker
11-09-2012, 09:19
http://www.amazon.com/Timberland-18193-Chocorua-Gore-Tex-Hiker/dp/B002P2TC9Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352467299&sr=8-1&keywords=Men%27s+Chocorua

I've had great use with these. I'm on my 4th pair - I bought two pair for my thru-hike attempt and have only used 1. I lucked into my first pair by finding them on sale several years ago and taking a chance. My only concern was the toe bumper separates from the toe box after 500+ miles or so. It doesn't affect the water proofing, but it's annoying.

I'm old - I like REAL boots. I don't like wet, cold feet. I've never had a problem with them drying out, even after 2 days of rain or walking through water after numerous thunderstorms. My feet have never gotten wet through the boot.

TheYoungOne
11-09-2012, 10:53
http://www.amazon.com/Timberland-18193-Chocorua-Gore-Tex-Hiker/dp/B002P2TC9Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352467299&sr=8-1&keywords=Men%27s+Chocorua

I've had great use with these. I'm on my 4th pair - I bought two pair for my thru-hike attempt and have only used 1. I lucked into my first pair by finding them on sale several years ago and taking a chance. My only concern was the toe bumper separates from the toe box after 500+ miles or so. It doesn't affect the water proofing, but it's annoying.

I'm old - I like REAL boots. I don't like wet, cold feet. I've never had a problem with them drying out, even after 2 days of rain or walking through water after numerous thunderstorms. My feet have never gotten wet through the boot.

I like my Merrell Moab waterproof boots. They are a good blend between trail runners and waterproof boots. Like Old Hiker is saying, I know some hikers rather just get non waterproof trail runners so the boot dries faster and just let their feet get wet in the rain, but I'm too old for that. I wore my Moabs hiking and even during hurricane sandy and my feet never got wet. The only issue is they are warmer then regular boots and trail runners. That is great in the cold , but durring the summer you feet do cook a little bit. They usually sell for around $100 but you can catch them on sale like I did for $80 or less.

http://sportsmansnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Merrell-Moab-Vent-Mid-Waterproof-11.jpg

Another option is Hi-Tec boots. Hi-Tec is a budget outdoor footwear company that usually sells stuff in Sports Authority, Campmor and sometimes REI. Some of their stuff is actually pretty decent, I bought their trail runners for $4, and you get a durable trail running sneaker that is pretty waterproof. My only beef with them is the sole rubber material they use is not as grippy on wet surfaces like some other boots and trail runners, so you may want to be extra careful on wet rocks. The Hi-Tec Altitude IV leather hiking boots sells for $80 or less.

http://www.campmor.com/hi-tec-mens-altitude-iv-hiking-boots.shtml?source=CI&ci_sku=11740BRO13M&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}
http://www.campmor.com/wcsstore/Campmor/static/images/footwear/11740.jpg

TheYoungOne
11-09-2012, 10:56
Oh that is a typo. The Hi-tec trail runners are $40 not $4.

wornoutboots
11-09-2012, 11:46
There are no such thing as waterproof boots if you spend a lot of time in the woods, I guess you could always get sme of those rubbers that go over your boots/shoes that your dad & granddad used to where ;) Keen TargheeII's are a great pair of lightweight & tough boots, but try on many + I second the bring a pair of crocks or something similar for stream crossings. I'm personally leaning towards light weight trail runners that I can always keep on, even cross the stream with since they dry out so quickly. Not reccomended for temps I'd say 20 degrees or colder though.

Kerosene
11-09-2012, 13:15
I also would recommend a non-waterproof boot if you're going to be out any longer than a weekend. Given enough time and rain, waterproof boots inevitably become waterlogged. Because they are waterproof, they also take literally days to dry. Non-WP boots certainly get wet faster, but they will literally dry out after a stream ford by end of day. I'd point you to Montrail, Merrell, and Vasque brands, but ultimately you want a boot that fits your foot (consider adding orthotics also).

hikerboy57
11-09-2012, 13:19
waterproof boots are fine for cooler or cold temps or if you're just out for a day or two. but for spring/summer/early fall section hikes, ive switched from my keen targheeIIs to trail runners. as has already been noted waterproof boots take a long time to dry and become waterlogged and heavy,goretex and similar linings just dont breathe in the heat, and your feet will sweat. the wicking fabric in the targhees doesnt dry once it gets wet.

Peakhunter
11-10-2012, 00:43
It really needs to be an all weather boot, he's not planning on thru hiking or anything just going with me on a day hike about once a week. We hiked though up to 2' of snow and in some places last Monday so the wp really was a plus keeping. I have looked into some of the boots mentioned, has anyone tried the gore-tex boot from adidas?

slims
11-10-2012, 10:54
My vote goes for Merrell MOABs. You can't really go wrong with either the waterproof ones or the Ventilators since it'll just be occasional day hikes. The waterproof ones would be heavier and wouldn't dry out as fast when wet but would stay dryer longer. The non waterproof ones would be lighter and dry faster but would get wet faster. Your brother would have to know what he can live with more.

Don't buy Hi-Tec boots though. They're terrible.

RED-DOG
11-10-2012, 13:33
I know why don't you take a ride to Wal-Mart they might have something their.

Many Moons
11-10-2012, 15:13
I'm introducing my brother-in-law to hiking and he is in need of some waterproof hiking boots, what do you recommend under $100

Trail runners with sock changes. Boots are too heavy and have caused me all kinds of foot problems. Trail runners. Hike On!!!

Miller

MuddyWaters
11-10-2012, 15:16
use trail runners.
If its very cold and wet, use goretex socks or sealskinz with the trail runners.