PDA

View Full Version : Bear Spray Instructional Video

BobTheBuilder
11-09-2012, 12:29
In case you are interested, these guys in Idaho deal with brown bears:

http://www.spokesman.com/video/2012/nov/07/how-use-bear-spray/

HikerMom58
11-09-2012, 12:56
Thanks for this video.. I carry one all the time so it's cool to see someone actually use it. :)

coach lou
11-09-2012, 13:55
Very nice.......but, what is wrong with a nice set of bells?

BobTheBuilder
11-09-2012, 16:54
I don't carry bear spray myself on the AT, but I probably would out west.

Falcon
11-09-2012, 17:11
I carry wasp and hornet spray from Walmart. I have never had an encounter but I've heard it is just as effective and a lots cheaper, about $3.00 a can.

Hosaphone
11-09-2012, 17:38
I carry wasp and hornet spray from Walmart. I have never had an encounter but I've heard it is just as effective and a lots cheaper, about $3.00 a can.

I have heard the opposite...

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if any aggressive motion helps your cause and makes you appear more confident. I mean, rather than run around flailing your arms helplessly, you pull out something that the bear perceives as a weapon and that you expect to work. If anything, it's probably just the confidence factor that deters the bear. Probably more effective against predatory black bear attacks than it would be against grizzlies...

THE DANGLER
11-10-2012, 08:01
+1 on always carrying bear spray.
I've never had to use it on a bear here in the sierras. But I did have a run in with a mountain lion. It snuck up on me while I was sitting next to my campfire. It came with 5 ft, no kidding! I had my bear spray at the ready. It was effective. I did however get hit as well and let me tell you, that spray is some serious stuff!
I think there are some bear spray makers that will also send you a tester so that you can practice before you are in that dire situation.

HikerMom58
11-10-2012, 09:25
Wow... that's great to hear that it worked so well. I hope I never have to use mine. I doubt I ever will. :)

Half Note
11-10-2012, 09:43
I see what he did there...

"It creates a 'bear-rier' that should stop it."

Pedaling Fool
11-10-2012, 10:40
Wasn't the bear suppose to run away, he just stood there:confused:

;)

Marta
11-10-2012, 11:36
I work in a store inside Glacier NP and we do a brisk trade in bear spray. Following is a link to videos about bear spray. The full promo video plays in the store all the time, so I've seen and heard it too many times to count. Also, in the store we have a dummy canister, full of compressed air, so people can practice releasing the safety catch.

http://www.udap.com/video.htm

Fwiw, I carry bear spray almost all the time around here. I haven't had to use it yet. But one of my coworkers was attacked by a black bear this fall. The bear had him by the head, but released him when sprayed with pepper spray. (The bear attacked him in his tent.)

A couple of local hikers I've talked to, people who've had encounters with aggressive bears, carry TWO cans of spray with them at all times.

fredmugs
11-10-2012, 11:57
I carry bear spray but it's not for bears.

canoe
11-10-2012, 12:49
I carry bear spray but it's not for bears.
What are you doing with it. Puffin?

Never used the stuff. I noticed in all the videos they were shoting down wind. What happens if the bear is up wind and the cloud comes back on the shooter?

coach lou
11-10-2012, 13:06

ouch!!! That's good sh$t man!

THE DANGLER
11-10-2012, 15:33

Never used the stuff. I noticed in all the videos they were shoting down wind. What happens if the bear is up wind and the cloud comes back on the shooter?
You spray anyways and the ensuing cries of pain should scare off anything!;)

Funny you mention that, that's pretty much what happened to me. I got the mountain lion but at the very last second the wind swirled around and I got a little taste in my face. Funny how in the matter of a single second this went from "shi*t yeah! You thought you were gonna get me mr. mountain lion===>>Holy *****! I just peppered this lions freaking steak for him!" That being said, this was the most terrifying moment of my life.

fredmugs
11-10-2012, 15:41

People deterrent.

HikerMom58
11-10-2012, 18:48
This thread twas good for a laugh.... :cool:

HikerMom58
11-10-2012, 19:12
This thread twas good for a laugh.... :cool:

2 clarify...the comments are the funniest part...

The bear leaving the scene on the plywood board at the end of the video was PERFECT!

BobTheBuilder
11-12-2012, 18:19
Wasn't the bear suppose to run away, he just stood there:confused:

;)

I think it was a tame bear because they carried it home with them at the end of the video.