PDA

View Full Version : BEST Thru Hike Shoes???

slomo15
11-09-2012, 14:43
Ok so here's the deal...I am planning a "fast" thru hike this summer that will hopefully take me about 100 days so I can finish before school starts back up. I have been researching and purchasing the gear I will need (already have trekking poles, jacket, pack, etc.) but I still have not been able to find a shoe that I think I will be happy with.

I have read countless articles and reviews on different websites and forums, and it seems like the only thing hikers can agree on is that I should get lightweight trailrunning shoes. That sounds easy enough. But my problem has been that I cannot determine which shoe will be the best, because most of the reviews are evaluating the shoe for everyday casual use, or light day-hiking, but NOT for thru hiking. I've looked at Salomon, Merrell, brooks, new balance, etc. but I just dont feel comfortable spending $100 or more on something that might be completely wrong for a thru hike.

The things I'm looking for in a shoe are 1) trail running 2) not crazy expensive (I'd like to spend under $120 a pair since Ill be going thru about 3 pairs on the trip) 3) decently durable 4) comfortable.

ANY suggestions out there? Thanks for the help!!

jakedatc
11-09-2012, 14:56
No one's feet are like yours. whatever fits you is what is best for you.

http://www.pmags.com/best-gear-fallacy

brian039
11-09-2012, 15:11
It's totally trial and error sorry to say. Saloman's work great for me but I can't wear New Balance or Merrell despite them being quality shoes.

Mags
11-09-2012, 15:30
Go a to good a running store locally that also has trail running shoes. Talk to the sales person. If the sales person is a passionate trail runner and knows their stuff, they can suggest some shoes that fit your style, gait of walking and so on. Granted, this is hiking but if you are doing a fast hike (long days), trail running is a closely related cousin.

I've thru-hike in Nike running shoes, keen trail runners, Hi-Tech trail runners...and well, you get the idea.

OTher people have used different shoes.

Different feet, different styles, different builds, different packweight and so on. :)

Mike2012
11-09-2012, 16:20
I've gone thru two pairs of Vasque hikers the second of which turned out to be too small (bought them before I'd done significant miles). From there I bought a pair of Patagonia trail hikers that failed before I finished the 100 mile wilderness early into my flip. Patagonia responded by email that they weren't made for that so don't expect to get more than 100 miles out of Patagonias should you go that route. I am now on my second pair of Salomons that I absolutely love. Most comfortable shoe I've ever worn.
Good luck on the hike. Listen to your body.

slomo15
11-09-2012, 16:34
I've gone thru two pairs of Vasque hikers the second of which turned out to be too small (bought them before I'd done significant miles). From there I bought a pair of Patagonia trail hikers that failed before I finished the 100 mile wilderness early into my flip. Patagonia responded by email that they weren't made for that so don't expect to get more than 100 miles out of Patagonias should you go that route. I am now on my second pair of Salomons that I absolutely love. Most comfortable shoe I've ever worn.
Good luck on the hike. Listen to your body.

I am seriously considering the Salomon XA pro 3d ultra 2's. I don't have a store (ie. REI) near me that carries a lot of trail running shoes so I am going to have to buy them online and send them back if they dont fit or whatever. Do you have experience with these? or is there a better salomon that would better suit my goal of a thru hike?

Hosaphone
11-09-2012, 16:56
Get something light and non-waterproof that fits you well. Aside from that a really aggressive tread is nice, and I like vibram soles... But the main thing is just fit and weight (and durability I suppose), really, and we won't be able to help much with that.

I think the most important thing for you is going to be training. Go hike with a fully loaded pack as much as humanly possible over the next few months so you can hit the ground running and not have any surprises with gear, blisters, etc. Any chance you get, go for a 1-hour dayhike at the very least and try to cover as much elevation gain/loss as you can. A 3-month hike is pretty ambitious. Somebody posted this in another thread regarding hiking on a budget: "pick 2: young, strong, experienced". Sounds like you have #1. If you can get #2 under control by the time you get on the trail, you'll figure out #3 pretty quickly and have a good shot at making it.

Hosaphone
11-09-2012, 16:58
Oh, and especially try to hike and camp in the rain and sleet as much as possible. That will make you figure things out very quickly!

ChinMusic
11-09-2012, 18:05
What works for me, or any other poster on here, won't necessarily work for you. Many of us have gone through multiple sets of footware until we found something that worked.

Salomon is a good brand and a good shoe to try.

wren again
11-09-2012, 19:41
My husband and myself, 4 sons and 2 daughters-in-law all have Timberland boots which we purchased at Gander Mountain while on sale. Some of us are on our 2nd or third pair. I retired my first pair after 500 miles on the Ice Age Trail in Wisconsin and 200 miles on the AT. Good price and tough boots!

evyck da fleet
11-09-2012, 20:17
I agree everyone is different when it comes to shoes so you'll have to find one that you feel comfortable in. I might also consider who stands behind their product when it comes to warranties.

I hiked in the Salomons you are looking at and they worked great for me. I bought them in Damascus and hiked from Roan Mountain TN to the New Jersey border in them. They were shredded by then but another hiker told me to call their warranty department. I had exceeded the number of miles for the warranty but they sent me a replacement pair anyway because I only had them for six weeks. I had to send a picture of the shoes and some other info in.

I started the trail in New Balances and wore a free pair of Merrills from The Doyle's hiker box until I got my replacement pair. I liked the Salomons the best but Merrill was also supposed to have a good warranty on their products too.

jakedatc
11-09-2012, 20:58
Crocs.... slippers filled with mashed potatoes.... Uggs with Yak-Trax. all could work as well as anything anyone says...

Prime Time
11-09-2012, 23:49
Definitely trial and error. I will say, however, the biggest mistake people make is buying too small. Add at least 2 half sizes, so if your foot measures a 10 you should buy at least an 11. Your foot will swell up by hiking every day, all day. Also, don't buy 2 or 3 pairs before you go because if you don't like what you have, you don't need another pair. I have settled on North Face Hedgehogs. Low cut, relatively light, but heavy duty enough for the mountain tops and rocky stretches. I get about 700 - 800 miles from a pair hiking all summer in the White Mountains which is almost all ups and downs over mostly rocks.

CyborgAT
11-10-2012, 00:38
Inov-8 Rocklites or La Sportiva Raptors which I currently have. Awesome shoes and you can get the Rocklites for around $90

cabbagehead
11-10-2012, 00:50
I liked the Merrel Geomorph Stretch. The Chameleon Stretch looks good. I've never found it in a store though. Both have long lasting treads. I recommend shoes without tongues or laces. They are far more comfortable.

BrianLe
11-10-2012, 03:33
I agree with pretty much everything above. I'd add that in your sort of iterative quest to pick the right shoe, it's helpful to learn as much as you can about your particular set of feet. Do you tend to pronate or supinate (look these terms up ...). Do you tend to have narrow feet, average, or wide? High, low, or average arches? Do you have any known foot issues? I.e., plantar fasciitis, bunions (on either side of the foot), etc. What specific problems have you had with other shoes that haven't worked out?

The problem with going to a shoe store is that their selection is going to be somewhat limited --- not many stores will stock the complete breadth of shoe sizes for all brands and models of trail runners. I would consider going to one or two of the best local places and get a sense for what feels best in trying on their models. Then when you have that knowledge plus as much information as you can get about specific issues of your own feet --- could consider going online a place like zappos.com and look there at a wider selection using the multiple views they offer of the shoe. Zappos does, or at least I believe they used to, allow you to return shoes that you've not worn outside of your house. That certainly doesn't guarantee that you won't have problems after you start walking more than just a few paces across your living room and up and down the stairs, but still --- it's a good start.

Next go on a series of long walks, or better, a backpacking trip in the tens-of-miles range (the more the better) to confirm that these shoes really work for you. Then wait and watch for that model to go on sale in your size and buy several more pairs, as next year the manufacturer might discontinue or modify that model ...

Eighty-Eight
11-10-2012, 09:52
[QUOTE=slomo15;1359915]Ok so here's the deal...I am planning a "fast" thru hike this summer that will hopefully take me about 100 days so I can finish before school starts back up. I have been researching and purchasing the gear I will need (already have trekking poles, jacket, pack, etc.) but I still have not been able to find a shoe that I think I will be happy with.

Check out reviews for La Sportiva Wildcat 2.0. I'm not sure that very many places carry them, but i LOVE mine: great heel cup with external support, super sticky soles and a great toe-bumper. That being said, i through-hiked in Air Force issue boots (3 pairs) that worked great and at the time cost about $12 a pair.

RED-DOG
11-10-2012, 11:32
Everybody is different what works for one person may not work for you, it's trial and error.

fredmugs
11-10-2012, 15:32
I like wide width shoes so Moab Ventilators work great for me. I would look for comfort, vibram soles, and a good insert.

mtnkngxt
12-16-2012, 22:36
Montrails work best for me. I hate Goretex shoes, there's my .02.

fireneck
12-16-2012, 22:40
The one's that best fight your feet ;)

fireneck
12-16-2012, 22:41
D'oh *****fit

Papa D
12-16-2012, 22:57
Like MAGS said, different shoes for different people. For one, I like La Sportiva. I understand that a gore-tex shoe will stay wet longer than a non-gore tex shoe and that the concept of a "waterproof shoe" is pure BS but I have hiked over 1000 miles in several pairs of La Sportiva FC-ECO-2.0-gtx hiking shoes and they get my vote as a hybrid between a sturdy boot like shoe (that you can run in) and a trail runner:
www.backcountry.com/la-sportiva-fc-eco-2.0-gtx-hiking-shoe-mens (http://www.backcountry.com/la-sportiva-fc-eco-2.0-gtx-hiking-shoe-mens)

in 2011 and 2012, I saw this shoe or other La Sportivas on many a thru's feet

It's funny how not many industry types "get it" - they still advertise this shoe as a "day hiker" or "weekender" and hawk heavy boots for long-distances - when will they all learn that that is not how we do it?

MuddyWaters
12-16-2012, 23:50
Only you can decide.
Try several popular models . Pick a good fit, with roomy toes and hope for the best.
You will have many chances to swap if dont work for you. If you buy from REI, you can even exchange.

Shoes are a bit like beds. A new bed feels strange at first, and you can have trouble sleeping in it. After a while , you get used to it and it becomes the new "normal". As long as it fits, that 95% of it.

Arius
12-17-2012, 00:47
Inov-8 Rocklites or La Sportiva Raptors which I currently have. Awesome shoes and you can get the Rocklites for around $90
Couldn't be better choice for me: LS Raptors, three pair combine with Superfeet blue insoles and Darn Tough socks, 120 day thru-hike. Pros - happy, happy feet. Cons - somewhat fragile upper. Solution - dental floss and Freesole tube. :-). Have a great hike!

magic_game03
12-17-2012, 00:58
Ok so here's the deal...I am planning a "fast" thru hike this summer that will hopefully take me about 100 days so I can finish before school starts back up. I have been researching and purchasing the gear I will need (already have trekking poles, jacket, pack, etc.) but I still have not been able to find a shoe that I think I will be happy with.

Maybe my bat senses are off, is 'hopefully' a 100 days really a fast hike? Common man. Aim high, go for the record and if you miss by a couple of day then you can say it was fast, just not the fastest. A 100 day hike is 'hurried' but I wouldn't call it fast.

Sly
12-17-2012, 01:49
Pick one, (or more)

merrell (http://www.merrell.com/US/en)

inoveight (http://www.inov-8.com/New/Global/Index.asp?L=27)

montrail (http://www.montrail.com/)

asics (http://www.asicsamerica.com/footwear/)

salomon (http://www.salomon.com/us/range/hiking-footwear.html)

hi-tec (http://www.hi-tec.com/us/)

new balance (http://www.newbalance.com/)

vasque (http://www.vasque.com/)

Drybones
12-17-2012, 09:35
The one's that best fight your feet ;)

Most all shoes fight my feet, two brands that my feet won with tho are Treksta and Asic. I'd never heard of Treksta before they were a Backpacker Magazine Editor's choice so I thought I'd try them on the AT this spring, they are extremely comfortable with adequate cushion all over, very lightweight, and feel more like you just put a sock on instead of a shoe. I made the mistake of getting the Goretex version tho, great until they fill with water. Just tried an Asic trail runner for the Art Loeb and Foothills trails, very cushiony and comfortable, got them for the cushioning thinking it might help protect the knees, the little tabs that wrap over the toe box is coming loose so they may not be too durable but they are extremely confortable, can't imagine getting a blister with them.

Odd Man Out
12-17-2012, 10:56
... I've looked at Salomon, Merrell, brooks, new balance, etc. but I just dont feel comfortable spending $100 or more on something that might be completely wrong for a thru hike.

It is safe to say that from the list of shoe makers already provided (by your and others), you can easily get a shoe for <$120 and no matter what you get, it will not be "completely wrong", as long as it fits you well. Just don't get the waterproof versions (already suggested). Also better to buy a shoe slightly large as your feet will swell and also sort out your sock choice before trying on shoes.

prain4u
12-20-2012, 00:55
I have not thru hiked--but I have logged countless miles hiking. My choice in recent years has been "New Balance" brand because I have extra-wide feet (Size 10.5 4E) and New Balance does a good job of carrying the extra-wide widths in a variety of styles. The good news is that I also feel the most comfortable when hiking in New Balance. It really is an individualized choice.

I would echo the sentiments of the person who wrote that you should also try wearing a type of shoe when walking through rain, mud, hills, rocks etc. I had a pair of shoes that were great on day hikes on trails and walking in urban area. I wore them all the time and absolutely loved them. Then, I wore them on a somewhat tougher trail during multiple days of rain and the shoes literally tore the heck out of my feet (to the point that I have scars). The moral of the story: A pair of shoes that serves you very well on dry days on O.K. trails--can sometimes become brutally painful when you use them on tougher terrain and in pouring rain. Finding the right show is sometimes more complex than just walking around in them at the store or in your neighborhood.

Tinker
12-20-2012, 01:08
I am seriously considering the Salomon XA pro 3d ultra 2's. I don't have a store (ie. REI) near me that carries a lot of trail running shoes so I am going to have to buy them online and send them back if they dont fit or whatever. Do you have experience with these? or is there a better salomon that would better suit my goal of a thru hike?

Salomon shoes are too narrow in the instep for me. My feet have a wide instep, narrow heel, and are flat as a pancake. I bought two pair of Salomon shoes which I tried without orthotics. They initially felt very good, but with no more than 100 miles on them I felt as though the middle part of the insole was sinking in more rapidly than the perimiter, leaving my little toes very sore, and I had to replace them prematurely. They weren't only not worn out, but they were barely broken in.

This is why so many folks will tell you that you will need to try several brands (and even within brands you will find variations in the lasting process - some will be narrower here or there or have more volume here or there, stiffer here or there, etc.

Happy hunting and good luck. :)