PDA

View Full Version : April 20 through 28 - VA

oneoldgoat
11-09-2012, 17:05
This will be my first hike - was going to do it alone, but would really like company. I'm sure to be slow as this is my first hike and I need to acclimated. I am working toward a thru hike once the kids are out of college (2018). No problem if you are fast, I would just really like someone to start with.

:rolleyes:

HikerMom58
11-09-2012, 21:39
Bump.... you can bring it back up in the spring, closer to the time when you will be hiking. What section in VA are you interested in doing?

Dr. Professor
11-09-2012, 22:02
Agreed; bring it up in the spring. I can't commit to something like that now, but there's a chance I'll be able to go.

oneoldgoat
11-09-2012, 22:40
Based on a conversation, I read on this site I think - I'm planning Damascas to the start of 81 - Marion, I think is the town. I figured that the end of April would be a good time. But I'll definitely bring it up again closer to the time. Thanks :)

Dr. Professor
11-09-2012, 23:21
Hiking with somebody else is a good idea if its your first hike. Things to consider:

- Shelter: hammock (better) or tent (worse)? {I'm not biased}

- Sleeping bag (for a tent) or quilt and underquilt (for a hammock)

- If a hammock: over tent tarp & ground tarp.

- Stove (only one per group of hikers, but bring adequate fuel)

- Food (two meals a day plus lots of bars, trail mix, jerkey, etc...)

- Platypus 3 liter

- Water Bottle

- Hiking poles (two)

- Water pump/filter: there are lots of options. IMHO, it's best to have something that can pump and filter out of puddles (a quicker alternative is nice to also have, especially when hiking with someone else).

- Trail runners & low gaiters.

- Two lightweight hiking socks & two medium weight hiking socks (I wear two layers of socks while hiking)

- Base layer top & bottom

- Hiking pants (light weight)

- Light weight breathable hiking shirt

- Hiking underwear

- Wool shirt or midlayer

- Rain gear (lightweight & packable if possible)

- Hat and/or skull cap?

- Light hiking pack (not one of those old heavy ones)

- Stuff sacks

- Light weight, simple, durable, waterproof or at least resistant camera.

- Backup cell phone battery

- Headlamp

- Tree strap (for backpack)

Try out whatever you get before heading out into the wilderness. Remember, lighter is better.

HikerMom58
11-10-2012, 01:13
Yes.... oneoldgoat... it will all work out then. :) Thanks for the response Dr. P.... :)

Dr. Professor
11-10-2012, 08:55
Yes.... oneoldgoat... it will all work out then. :) Thanks for the response Dr. P.... :)

:)

That list was shoot from the hip, but it should give him some idea. He'll also need camping toilet paper, one trowel per groop of hikers, tooth brush, tooth paste....

It'd be fun. Again, don't know if I'll be able to go but we'll see.

HikerMom58
11-10-2012, 09:19
You are sooo nice Dr. P. :) I think oneoldgoat is a woman tho. Don't worry I'm sure she will understand...I called Suckerfish a woman & he's not at all.:eek: It happens. :) LOL. Gizzy Bear had it happen to her as well. There's others that might be able to hike with oneoldgoat 2. I can think of one other person I can ask as well. Have a great day in L'burg. I'll let you know how the ATC membership drive goes.... see ya round.

Dr. Professor
11-10-2012, 13:41
You are sooo nice Dr. P. :) I think oneoldgoat is a woman tho. Don't worry I'm sure she will understand...I called Suckerfish a woman & he's not at all.:eek: It happens. :) LOL. Gizzy Bear had it happen to her as well. There's others that might be able to hike with oneoldgoat 2. I can think of one other person I can ask as well. Have a great day in L'burg. I'll let you know how the ATC membership drive goes.... see ya round.

My mistake; sorry.

My morning has gone well. Enjoy Grandin, and good luck!

HikerMom58
11-10-2012, 19:06
The membership drive was a huge success, IMHO. The theater was full! Shelby (my daughter) and I had a gr8 time. We sold all kinds of AT stuff. We got a glow- in- the dark Nalgene bottle for volunteering :cool: Also, I met the "odd couple" (trail names). They do trail work. I've not done trail work b4 so they are going to teach me... we are going to build a foot bridge together.... #funtimes!! Interesting side note... Homer- does shuttles in the Daleville area. Super NICE guy!! He, his wife & both of their kids hiked the AT together in 2002. :)

Dr. Professor
11-11-2012, 01:25
That's great to hear. I'm glad you met some more hikers. When and where are you building the bridge?

HikerMom58
11-11-2012, 19:27
That's great to hear. I'm glad you met some more hikers. When and where are you building the bridge?

I'm not sure where he said he was building the bridge but he said they would be giving me a call when they do work near the Johns Spring Shelter which is near 311 at the bottom of McAfee going north. Homer said that he and his wife maintain 16 shelters. :eek: I went back to Bobblets Gap Shelter today to check on the spring. There is not much water at all there. I left some water at the shelter.... :) What a beautiful day!!!:sun

Dr. Professor
11-12-2012, 12:51
I'm not sure where he said he was building the bridge but he said they would be giving me a call when they do work near the Johns Spring Shelter which is near 311 at the bottom of McAfee going north. Homer said that he and his wife maintain 16 shelters. :eek: I went back to Bobblets Gap Shelter today to check on the spring. There is not much water at all there. I left some water at the shelter.... :) What a beautiful day!!!:sun

Magic is a beautiful thing.

I can't imagine maintaining sixteen shelters at this stage in my life. I can image heading out to do some work on a nice January or February weekend though. Let me know if you're headed out that way in January or February and, schedule allowing, I might be able to join you.

Take care.

oneoldgoat
11-12-2012, 13:05
Thank you for that list! Wow :) ou have things on there that I would not have thought of. About the hammock, I went to a thruhikers workshop this past weekend at Bears Den Lodge and all sorts of tents as well as a hammock was shown. I'll tell you, I am about 90% sold on the hammock. The woman there showed us a Hennessey - I'm going to keep an eye out for a deal on this and try it out for a couple weekends before I set out.

It never ceases to amaze me how helpful hikers are! Hopefully someday I can give back :) Thanks again-

oneoldgoat
11-12-2012, 13:07
:)

That list was shoot from the hip, but it should give him some idea. He'll also need camping toilet paper, one trowel per groop of hikers, tooth brush, tooth paste....

It'd be fun. Again, don't know if I'll be able to go but we'll see.

Haha! Yep, I'm female but not offended in the least :)

Dr. Professor
11-12-2012, 19:05
Give in to the dark side and become a hammock hanger. :)

I have and love the Warbonnet Blackbird. There are plenty of threads about the various types of hammocks; I recommend reading through a few.

Good luck.

HikerMom58
11-12-2012, 19:19
Magic is a beautiful thing.

I can't imagine maintaining sixteen shelters at this stage in my life. I can image heading out to do some work on a nice January or February weekend though. Let me know if you're headed out that way in January or February and, schedule allowing, I might be able to join you.

Take care.

I'll keep you informed... :)