PDA

View Full Version : Tent conundrum

Statue
11-09-2012, 17:38
For thru-hiking the AT I'm torn on which single person tent to get. My budget is around $250 but that's probably negotiable. Space isn't a big issue as I'm 5' 10" and have a small (64") Exped. My main concern is staying dry, I'd love to do the cuben fiber but really don't want to spend $500. I've narrowed it down to the list below but am open for all suggestions.

SMD Skyscape Trekker (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/Trekker.html) - 24 oz. double wall

SMD Lunar Solo (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/LunarSolo.html) - An ounce lighter then the Trekker (23 oz.) but with more room, single wall

Tarptent Notch (http://tarptent.com/notch.html) - Seems like a really fast setup, double wall 26 oz.

Tarptent Contrail (http://tarptent.com/contrail.html#specs) - Looks great, I like the one pole setup, light at 24.5 oz. although I've read about some condensation issues

Lightheart Solo (http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&products_id=15) - Double wall, a bit heavier at 27 oz.

Pippie
11-09-2012, 17:45
I am debating between the same tents. I am most intrigued by the Lightheart solo, but I have read some reviews that say there are issues with the central bar when there are heavy winds. Any users of the Lightheart out there?

jakedatc
11-09-2012, 18:00
Not sure why the center bar would be an issue in the wind. there are 2 strips of velcro to hold it in place.(they may have been a response to those issues) the whole tent has 8-10 tie out points so it can be buckled down pretty tight.

i switched to LH solo from TT Contrail.

Old Hiker
11-09-2012, 18:01
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?86824-LightHeart-Gear-SoLong-6-First-Impressions

I have a Solo as well - don't like it as well - not as roomy for me.

Pippie
11-09-2012, 18:05
What were your reasons for making the switch?

cabbagehead
11-09-2012, 18:21
They all look so large. I have a cheap canadian solitaire. It's heavy, but $100. I wish I had that trekker tent.

jakedatc
11-09-2012, 18:22
Contrail was a bit small inside even though I am small at 5'7. single wall makes condensation an issue since you can touch it and has less air flow. single wall misted through in a heavy downpour i set up in to wait out a Tstorm.

so for similar weight you get bigger space, double wall, more head room, more water resistant nylon (3500mg static head vs 1500)

LH is a bit trickier to set up and costs a bit more.

jakedatc
11-09-2012, 18:25
They all look so large. I have a cheap canadian solitaire. It's heavy, but $100. I wish I had that trekker tent.

what do you mean? some folks prefer something larger than a bivy.. I have a full length Klymit Static V and can put my pack next to me inside.

Lando11
11-09-2012, 20:33
I have a SMD lunar solo and like it. Light enough(23oz), easy to setup, and roomyBut, if I was going with a light tent for a thru I would go SMD trekker or go cuben. Zpacks cuben tent is under 10 oz and not too much out of the price range ($300). I like the hybrid double/single wall of the scout trekker tho.

jimmyjam
11-09-2012, 20:50
I think you couldn't go wrong with either of the SMD tents. I have the Gatewood Cape with the net tent and although I've only used it a couple of times I really like it. I plan to use it next year on my section hikes.

pokeberry
11-09-2012, 20:53
I bought a heavy duty tarp and rope make a tube tent. Stays dry and great for wind protection as well.

Statue
11-09-2012, 20:54
I have a SMD lunar solo and like it. Light enough(23oz), easy to setup, and roomyBut, if I was going with a light tent for a thru I would go SMD trekker or go cuben. Zpacks cuben tent is under 10 oz and not too much out of the price range ($300). I like the hybrid double/single wall of the scout trekker tho.

I was looking at this but I would want the extended beak. After that with buying the stakes & groundsheet I'm looking at anywhere from $400-$500 depending on the groundsheet.

AggieAl
11-09-2012, 22:25
The Notch is great.

RodentWhisperer
11-09-2012, 23:14
The Notch is great.

+1 on the Notch.

Moreover, though, I think your decision needs to be based in part by your wants/needs. I swapped my Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 1 (a genuinely awesome tent) for the Notch because I found getting into/out of the Fly Creek a pain. You might want to think about whether a front entry or side entry is more to your liking.

bear bag hanger
11-10-2012, 01:46
I use a hammock, but when I have to use a tent I have a SMD Gatewood Cape combined with a SMD Serenity NetTent. Not an excess of space, but I have room to sleep and can put my gear next to me, out of the rain, but not inside the netting. Being able to use the Gatewood Cape as rain gear is a plus, but maybe not as useful as it sounds. About $255 and 19 oz for both of them. Similar to the SMD Lunar Solo you mentioned. The Lunar Solo has about 90" X 48" (at it's widest point, less than that at the head and foot ends) 26 sq ft, the NetTent is about 84" X 26" 15 Sq ft floor space.

For a thru hike, I'd go with the lightest possible option you can afford. An extra 3 to 4 oz doesn't sound like much, but after a month or two, you'll be looking to saving weight all over the place.

garlic08
11-10-2012, 08:44
I've only ever used the Contrail from that list, but it looks like a pretty good selection. Unfortunately, nobody can really pick your shelter for you, and you'd be pretty lucky to get the "right" one for you on the first try. Most hikers go through a couple of tries, some painful, before getting it right. For me, for example, low price, low weight and simplicity are important. Others care about other things, as is obvious from the replies so far. Others are willing to pay more and/or carry "a few more ounces".

With many seasons and several thru hikes on my Contrail, I'm very pleased with Tarptent's quality and customer service.

Nutbrown
11-10-2012, 09:35
Not sure if anyone does this for a thru... I usually hammock, but when I tent in my cheap single wall, I bring along my hammock tarp to put over the top. Is it handy in a heavy rain, and makes it easier to set up the tent dry. My diy tarp is 10 oz.

Turk6177
11-10-2012, 09:41
MSR Hubba is my tent. It works great for me.

RED-DOG
11-10-2012, 11:54
Bro look at the ( Marmot EOS 1 Person ) it weighs less than 2 lbs and is under 250 I took it on my 2012 thru-hike and can't be more pleased with it's performance. Good luck and happy hiking. RED-DOG

Lando11
11-10-2012, 12:01
def dont get a cuben groundsheet. gossamer gear has a cheap light groundsheet that is around 1 oz and under $10 for a 2 pack

RED-DOG
11-10-2012, 12:03
Tyvek is the best ground sheet, for any size tent.

daddytwosticks
11-10-2012, 13:11
Side entry tent for me now that I'm an older fart. :)

MuddyWaters
11-10-2012, 15:33
If you have the option to stay in shelters in bad weather, you dont need much of a tent at all, a simple tarp will pack the smallest and be light.
If you are willing to sleep in a shelter with no bug netting, why would you insist on having a tent with it?

Statue
11-10-2012, 18:07
If you have the option to stay in shelters in bad weather, you dont need much of a tent at all, a simple tarp will pack the smallest and be light.
If you are willing to sleep in a shelter with no bug netting, why would you insist on having a tent with it?

I don't plan on staying in shelters a lot, only when the weather forces me to.

FamilyGuy
11-10-2012, 21:57
For thru-hiking the AT I'm torn on which single person tent to get. My budget is around $250 but that's probably negotiable. Space isn't a big issue as I'm 5' 10" and have a small (64") Exped. My main concern is staying dry, I'd love to do the cuben fiber but really don't want to spend $500. I've narrowed it down to the list below but am open for all suggestions.

SMD Skyscape Trekker (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/Trekker.html) - 24 oz. double wall

SMD Lunar Solo (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/LunarSolo.html) - An ounce lighter then the Trekker (23 oz.) but with more room, single wall

Tarptent Notch (http://tarptent.com/notch.html) - Seems like a really fast setup, double wall 26 oz.

Tarptent Contrail (http://tarptent.com/contrail.html#specs) - Looks great, I like the one pole setup, light at 24.5 oz. although I've read about some condensation issues

Lightheart Solo (http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&products_id=15) - Double wall, a bit heavier at 27 oz.

For what it is worth, only the weights listed for the two Tarptents include all pegs and guy lines required to set up the shelter.

rusty bumper
11-11-2012, 10:27
On my hike in 2011/12, I used the Tarptent Moment and loved it. After seam sealing and adding 2 extra pegs and guy-lines to tie it down during heavy weather, it weighed in at 33 ounces. I stayed in shelters only 5 times during my hike, and so it was important to me to carry a tent that went up and came down fast and easy. With one hoop pole and only 2 pegs, the Moment went up in less than 2 minutes, and came down and was in the stuff sack in about 3. The Tarptent Notch wasn't available when I bought the Moment. If I was buying now, I seriously look at the Notch as well.

Frog
11-11-2012, 10:46
Light weight and roomy and not that noise that cuban fiber will make. Look at the Hilleberg Rajd. Very roomy light weight and the room for all your stuff inside.

cabbagehead
11-11-2012, 12:37
I really like the shape of the SMD solo tent. It has the perfect size vestibule (just large enough for shoes).

Studlintsean
11-11-2012, 13:14
I have only used the contrail from the list above but I have no complaints. I stayed in it in a heavy rain the weekend before hurricane Sandy and had no issues with it. You can often find them used on here and other forums for pretty cheap in case you decide you don't like it. I would assume the resale value is pretty good also.

AllTheWayToMordor
11-12-2012, 12:13
I'm going to add a plug for the notch. I just took it out for the first time this weekend in Utah. We got caught in a winter storm blowing up canyon... twice. The second time I could't stake the tent down but had to use rocks. It held up to some gnarly gusts and snow, not to mention how jealous my friends were of its packed size and weight.

handlebar
11-12-2012, 20:34
You might want to check out the SMD Wild Oasis. Quite a bit lighter than the Lunar Solo. I carried it on my CDT chunks with a tyvek ground sheet. It was quite effective at keeping the mosquitos at bay and well ventilated. I've had it out in high winds and late this past April in a snow storm that dumped about 18" of wet snow on the PA Mid State Trail near State College.

Bearleg
11-16-2012, 09:51
last year i upgrade my 2 person tent to a solo tent, Eureka spitfire 1 cost $99, weight 2lbs - 3 lbs, i changed to alum. stakes (2) and had a tyvek footprint. i am 6'2" 250lbs fit was great. most nights i did not use the fly. no bug night. First night on the trail there was a heavy thunder storm, no issues. Everything packed up to the size of a football, i also change stuff sacks.

Drybones
11-16-2012, 13:05
last year i upgrade my 2 person tent to a solo tent, Eureka spitfire 1 cost $99, weight 2lbs - 3 lbs, i changed to alum. stakes (2) and had a tyvek footprint. i am 6'2" 250lbs fit was great. most nights i did not use the fly. no bug night. First night on the trail there was a heavy thunder storm, no issues. Everything packed up to the size of a football, i also change stuff sacks.

IMO the Spitfire is the best value out there for beginning hikers who may not know if they will stick with hiking or not. I've upgraded from the 3 lb-2 oz Spitfire to a 26 oz Notch but I still use the Spitfire occasionally for sentimental reasons...great value with lots of space for a solo.