PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Momma's

ljallen
05-18-2005, 19:32
Can anyone tell me how many miles this hostel is from Fontana Dam? Also is it located directly on the trail? How will I find it? Do you know the phone number I can let them know I'm coming? Thanks so much. LJ

MOWGLI
05-18-2005, 19:44
Can anyone tell me how many miles this hostel is from Fontana Dam? Also is it located directly on the trail? How will I find it? Do you know the phone number I can let them know I'm coming? Thanks so much. LJ

Well, it's approx 72 miles. Mountain Momas is about 1 mile off the trail to the east (R) when you reach Davenport Gap. Some folks will tell you to avoid the place. It was one of my favorite stops in 2000. They don't treat hikers special - and that's the charm for me.

ALDHA puts out a Companion. You can find an electronic version of that document at the following link;

http://www.aldha.org/companyn/ga-tn05.pdf

Page 30 has what you're looking for. You'll need Adobe reader to view the file.

By the way, there is a great side trail - I believe the Chestnut Branch Trail - that leads directly to the Big Creek Ranger Station - which is a short distance from Mountain Momas. IMO, its a nicer trail than the AT, and if you're headed to the store, it'll cut down on your road walk. It runs by a lush stream for a good while. Consult your map of GSMNP. If you're OK with missing a few white blazes, your trip will be richer for taking that side trail.

Sly
05-18-2005, 19:44
..before you step on the trail get yourself a Databook and Companion or Wingfoot's Thru-hikers Handbook.

Sly
05-18-2005, 19:48
By the way, there is a great side trail that leads directly to the Big Creek Ranger Station - which is a short distance from Mountain Momas. IMO, its a nicer trail than the AT, and if you're headed to the store, it'll cut down on your road walk. It runs by a lush stream for a good while. Consult your map of GSMNP. If you're OK with missing a few white blazes, your trip will be richer for taking that side trail.

Low Gap Trail to Walnut Bottom and the Big Creek Trail... sweet!

MOWGLI
05-18-2005, 19:51
Low Gap Trail to Walnut Bottom and the Big Creek Trail... sweet!

I did that this past summer Sly, and it was very nice. But isn't there a side trail closer to Cammerer?

Jeffrey Hunter

neo
05-18-2005, 20:08
from fontana to mountain mama,s is 72 miles by trail then 1.3 miles to right by road total 73.3 miles total:cool: neo

Sly
05-18-2005, 20:13
I did that this past summer Sly, and it was very nice. But isn't there a side trail closer to Cammerer?

Jeffrey Hunter

Yeah... the Chestnut Branch Trail (I took it up.. steep!)

A quick peek shows several other trails that (eventually) lead to Big Creek from the AT. One route from near the Pecks Corner Shelter, another from Tricorner Knob and another before the Cosby Knob Shelter.

A further look and it appears Big Creek can be hiked from any of the AT shelters!

Some many trails, so little time.

Rain Man
05-18-2005, 22:58
Do you know the phone number I can let them know I'm coming? Thanks so much. LJ

Mountain Momma's does have limited hours, so it would be best to check with them. If I find the phone number, I'll post it. I was just there (for breakfast) when I hiked the GSMNP from Fontana in April.

EDIT/INSERT-- John & Caroly Thigpen run Mtn. Momma's. Phone number is 828-486-5995. Address is 1981 Waterville Road, Newport, TN 37821 (USPS) or 1981 Waterville Road, Waterville, NC 28786 (UPS/FedEx). Grill is open 8-5.

Rain:sunMan

neo
05-18-2005, 23:10
great cheese burgers:cool: neo

neo
05-18-2005, 23:13
..before you step on the trail get yourself a Databook and Companion or Wingfoot's Thru-hikers Handbook.
yes,thats all you need,i prefer wing foots book 1st then the data book 2nd
the companion 3rd:cool: neo

Jack Tarlin
05-19-2005, 16:08
Most hikers seem to vastly prefer the hospitality offered at Standing Bear Farm hiker hostel, just a mile or so down the Trail (North) from the place you're considering.

Reservations aren't necessary as they have plenty of space.

Great spot, great folks.

Rain Man
05-19-2005, 17:01
Most hikers seem to vastly prefer the hospitality offered at Standing Bear Farm hiker hostel, just a mile or so down the Trail (North) from the place you're considering....

I agree. Left my truck there for my April section hike through the Smokies. Spent a night there, too.

http://standingbearfarm.tripod.com/

Rain:sunMan

grrickar
05-22-2005, 10:38
Yeah, Standing Bear gets my vote. Great place to stay and rest, and he has a decent selection of trail food and a hiker box. Most importantly - hot showers!

digger51
05-22-2005, 14:37
Skip Mountain Mammas and go to Standing Bear. Great folks, excelent bunk room, food source, shuttle to the beer store, kitchen, internet access.

bearbait2k4
05-22-2005, 14:56
Mountain Moma's is horrible. No, they don't give special treatment to hikers, but that is not, in my opinion, why people say to avoid it. When I passed through, they seemed to go out of their way to be as unaccomodating as possible to us. Another hiker was trying to schedule a drop off for her dog, after leaving the Smokies, and it was difficult to do so because the payphone outside was out of order. No big deal, she just went down to the ranger station to use the phone, and let the kennel know she would be at Mt. Moma's. Well, there was a later scheduling conflict w/ the kennel, and someone from the kennel called Mt. Moma's to let her know that they wouldn't be able to drop her pup off until a few hours later, and wanted to know if she wanted her dog dropped off at another location down the trail, since it would be a few hours. Well, the owner wouldn't allow her to talk to the kennel, nor would she pass on a message, while she had the kennel on the phone. Even though the payphone outside was out of order, and the next payphone was at the Ranger Station (not exactly just 5 minutes down the road by foot). I thought that was pretty damn rude, personally. It's not like the hiker specifically asked the kennel to call her at the store. Something simply came up, and the kennel knew she was at the store. Honestly, I don't think it would have been asking for special treatment to simply have a message relayed to the kennel about meeting at the next road crossing, but that's just my opinion.

Skip Mt. Moma's. It's not worth the walk off the trail.

ShakeyLeggs
05-22-2005, 21:25
When I was there in 2001 i learned that mountain mommas was for sale. Any word if it still is?