PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore Jack????

Brenda Hopkins
11-09-2012, 23:18
Does anyone know where Jack Tarlin is if you see him or talk to him have him give Brenda from Pearisburg,va a call @ 540-599-1850

Storm
11-10-2012, 00:24
He was working at Mountain Crossings this spring.

Lone Wolf
11-10-2012, 10:36
probably at kincora

rambunny
11-10-2012, 11:36
Hi Brenda! From Rambunny

RED-DOG
11-10-2012, 12:07
Yeah i wouldn't be advertising you phone number like that, not a smart idea at all.

Mr Breeze
11-10-2012, 20:35
He followed the bubble up the trail. Last time i saw him, it was at the Hikers Welcome Hostel in Glencliff, NH. Where they were happily ripping hikers off by taking them 5 miles into Warren, NH for a resupply, and waiting until they got there to say that the trip would cost $35. Not a very friendly place towards hikers IMO. Lots of issues with hiker boxes being signed for, then nowhere to be found when hikers got there looking for them.

Blissful
11-12-2012, 16:18
Yeah i wouldn't be advertising you phone number like that, not a smart idea at all.

My phone number is all over the Internet...and I didn't even put it there.

If one needs a phone number they can see it easily, posting it or not.

Don H
11-12-2012, 16:32
Red, I think Brenda runs a shuttle service so probably appreciates the free advertising.

HikerMom58
11-12-2012, 17:58
Well, wherever he is - it's his birthday today! I have a lot of hiking friends apparently. :)

gimpat01
01-10-2013, 04:14
Good Lord, is he still hiking the AT? I ran into him in 2001 in Duncannon, PA...

Chaco Taco
01-10-2013, 08:31
He followed the bubble up the trail. Last time i saw him, it was at the Hikers Welcome Hostel in Glencliff, NH. Where they were happily ripping hikers off by taking them 5 miles into Warren, NH for a resupply, and waiting until they got there to say that the trip would cost $35. Not a very friendly place towards hikers IMO. Lots of issues with hiker boxes being signed for, then nowhere to be found when hikers got there looking for them.
The issue with the Post Office open/closure has probably been a contributor. Who was unfriendly towards hikers? Phatt Chapp is always welcoming and very very nice. Packrat is a great dude as well. By this point in the hike, thruhikers can be very demanding, just a fact.
Wait and $35 for a shuttle, I thought it was $5 per person. There signs all over the hostel that have prices for everything. Gas isnt cheap up here and is always VERY high during the peak months of WMNF traffic. But then again, you are entitled to your opinion :)

Chaco Taco
01-10-2013, 08:32
last I had heard, Jack was at Kincora

SOBO_Pace
01-10-2013, 08:43
He was at kincora right before thanksgiving

Gray Blazer
01-10-2013, 08:55
He just got a new reality show on TV-All My Hiker Mamas

Tennessee Viking
01-10-2013, 09:21
He was recently at Kincora working on the trail with Bob & TEHCC. He should be heading to SoRuck next week.

Praha4
01-10-2013, 14:07
He just got a new reality show on TV-All My Hiker Mamas

yeaa hah! about time for an AT hiker trash reality show, with Dueling Banjos as the theme song

joshuasdad
01-10-2013, 14:37
He was recently at Kincora working on the trail with Bob & TEHCC. He should be heading to SoRuck next week.

I met him at Kincora over the Christmas holidays. He may be doing another thru this year.

Lone Wolf
01-10-2013, 15:05
I met him at Kincora over the Christmas holidays. He may be doing another thru this year.

HIGHLY unlikely

joshuasdad
01-10-2013, 15:26
HIGHLY unlikely

He told me that if things come together in the next few weeks, he might be on the trail for a thru this year. I guess that would be #11 or so. That information is three weeks old though.

Lone Wolf
01-10-2013, 15:27
#8 IF he does it

Sly
01-10-2013, 15:59

Let's see 10 miles round trip for $5 a hiker equals $.50 a mile and that includes wait time. If you can do any better maybe you should start a hostel or shuttle service.

I can't comment on any missing hiker boxes but who signed for whom and did they have permission? Most post offices wouldn't do that especially if some went missing.

Jack Tarlin
01-11-2013, 12:59
Quick comments: Most hostels have small fees for town/shopping shuttles, and what with the price of gas these days, most of these fees have inceased recently. And the hostel in Glencliff makes it clear that this fee is per person......the alternative would be to charge a "per carload" fee, which would in all likelihood be significantly more than five bucks (A run to the Warren store, back again, and giving people time to shop generally takes at least three quarters of an hour or more.....how much is an hour of YOUR time worth? I bet it's more than 5 bucks, and this doesn't even inlclude keeping the car gassed and on the road.) Would Mr. Breeze be happy to pay a "carload" fee if he were the only person going? In short, the "per person" fee seems to work better......if there was a "carload" fee of, say, ten or fifteen dollars a trip, he'd be complaining even louder! As for the "lots of issues" over allegedly lost mail, this is the first time I ever heard of this. Complaints such as this are best directed towards the service provider or businesses themselves, as opposed to anonymous, undetailed, and perhaps unsubstantiated accusations made on web forums. But it is a simple truth that there will always be people that find a way to be unhappy about ANY place, and anyone who feels "ripped off" by the fees charged at hiker facilities or businesses has an easy remedy: They can skip requesting the service in question.....or even skip the facility itself. Problem solved.

Mike2012
01-17-2013, 23:38
I was hiking from Hanover, NH to the first shelter in vt and saw jack on the trail wearing a totally orange blaze outfit. He even had an orange blaze beret. It was smart because hunting season just started.

Papa D
01-18-2013, 08:54

Hiker's Welcome Hostel is a very nice hostel. I was there in August and the shuttle fee was $8 per person which seemed ok to me. They have a great outdoor shower, provide towels and you can do laundry while you shower. I will concede that Fat-Chap who is the manager is a know-it-all and disses thru-hikers without much reason. He doesn't know everything he thinks he does - reminds me a little of Uncle Johnny - - a much grumpier and less accomplished personality than Jack for sure. Other than Fat-Chap, it's a fine place and you can just curl up in the hammock with a book and ignore him.

brotheral
01-18-2013, 11:16
:-?
#8 IF he does it
I may have my numbers wrong... but I'm thinking Baltimore Jack (Jack Tarlin) has 8 thru hikes to his credit. And a knee / leg problem forced him off the trail far into his 9th thru hike attempt.
BrotherAL

brotheral
01-18-2013, 13:21
:-?
I may have my numbers wrong... but I'm thinking Baltimore Jack (Jack Tarlin) has 8 thru hikes to his credit. And a knee / leg problem forced him off the trail far into his 9th thru hike attempt.
BrotherAL
I sent Baltimore Jack a PM asking him to refresh my memory .....

Chaco Taco
01-19-2013, 21:40
Find it interesting that you would go on a website and trash talk someone.

Hiker's Welcome Hostel is a very nice hostel. I was there in August and the shuttle fee was $8 per person which seemed ok to me. They have a great outdoor shower, provide towels and you can do laundry while you shower. I will concede that Fat-Chap who is the manager is a know-it-all and disses thru-hikers without much reason. He doesn't know everything he thinks he does - reminds me a little of Uncle Johnny - - a much grumpier and less accomplished personality than Jack for sure. Other than Fat-Chap, it's a fine place and you can just curl up in the hammock with a book and ignore him.

Chaco Taco
01-19-2013, 21:47
And how did he diss thruhikers? I have seen some real jerks roll through that hostel and come across as very entitled! Have you ever managed a hostel or spent a significant amount of time catering to demanding thru's? Im just curious as to your knowledge and experience of hostel management....

Many Moons
01-20-2013, 00:46
Quick comments: Most hostels have small fees for town/shopping shuttles, and what with the price of gas these days, most of these fees have inceased recently. And the hostel in Glencliff makes it clear that this fee is per person......the alternative would be to charge a "per carload" fee, which would in all likelihood be significantly more than five bucks (A run to the Warren store, back again, and giving people time to shop generally takes at least three quarters of an hour or more.....how much is an hour of YOUR time worth? I bet it's more than 5 bucks, and this doesn't even inlclude keeping the car gassed and on the road.) Would Mr. Breeze be happy to pay a "carload" fee if he were the only person going? In short, the "per person" fee seems to work better......if there was a "carload" fee of, say, ten or fifteen dollars a trip, he'd be complaining even louder! As for the "lots of issues" over allegedly lost mail, this is the first time I ever heard of this. Complaints such as this are best directed towards the service provider or businesses themselves, as opposed to anonymous, undetailed, and perhaps unsubstantiated accusations made on web forums. But it is a simple truth that there will always be people that find a way to be unhappy about ANY place, and anyone who feels "ripped off" by the fees charged at hiker facilities or businesses has an easy remedy: They can skip requesting the service in question.....or even skip the facility itself. Problem solved.

Thanks for your help this spring 2012 with teaching me how to pack my pack!!!! See you on the trail!!! Hike On!!!

Miller

mfleming
01-20-2013, 03:02
Papa D's review of the Hikers Welcome Hostel seemed to be sincere and balanced

Papa D
01-20-2013, 08:42
Papa D's review of the Hikers Welcome Hostel seemed to be sincere and balanced

Thank you. I would stay there again and don't
mind telling Fat Chap that he's a grump. I'm sure
that if you know him, it's not news. Sorry if I offended.

10-K
01-20-2013, 09:08
I had an OK experience at Hiker's Welcome other than a hiker named "Uncle Walt" gave me no end of grief for slackpacking from Franconia Notch back to the hostel.... :)

I didn't get a shuttle into town but I did invite Phat Chap to dinner in town and he still charged me full price for the shuttle even though I paid for his meal.

I never sorted out how I felt about that but there wasn't nearly enough money involved to get a resentment so I just let it go and kept on hiking to Maine.

Chaco Taco
01-20-2013, 09:48
Thank you. I would stay there again and don't
mind telling Fat Chap that he's a grump. I'm sure
that if you know him, it's not news. Sorry if I offended.
I was just saying, without trying to seem like I was trolling, that its interesting you would say that on a website. We have been to Hikers Welcome quite a few times since our thruhike and Fat Chapp has never been anything but very welcoming to us and always has treated us with overwhelming hospitality and anyone that ends up at the hostel. Maybe give him the benefit of the doubt and cut him a break. Like I said, dealing with thru's day in and day out can probably put even the nicest guy in a pissy mood.
10-K, I can see your issue with Uncle Walt. Walt is a good guy and means no harm. He helps out around the hostel as well. He is socially awkward but a nice guy once you get to know him.

Chaco Taco
01-20-2013, 10:00
and yes its all a fair assesment of things, and Papa D, I dont want you to think Im giving you crap. I mean no disrespect :sun

10-K
01-20-2013, 10:15
I had no problem with Uncle Walt CT. He's a character just like we're all characters.

Chaco Taco
01-20-2013, 10:28
I had no problem with Uncle Walt CT. He's a character just like we're all characters.
Well said 10-K

JAK
01-20-2013, 10:50
Gotta get back
Back to the past
Baltimore Jack
Watch out
Gotta get back
Back to the past
Baltimore Jack
Jack Jack Jack Jack Jack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp7W2Z5Mzqw

Papa D
01-20-2013, 17:30
and yes its all a fair assesment of things, and Papa D, I dont want you to think Im giving you crap. I mean no disrespect :sun

thanks - likewise - I tend to run my mouth - Phat Chap just said things to some young SOBO thru - hikers in August that I thought was uncalled for, demeaning and essentially rained on their parade. The consensus among all the guests was that he was out of line and I talked to folks later who sort of had the same opinion. I'm actually friends with a friend of the owner of the hostel (forget his name) but I know he's a triple-crowner and a super legit guy. The place is great - bunks, books, plenty of towels, hot water, hammocks in the yard, etc. - - no problem with the HWC - - Phat Chap just surprised me a bit, I guess.

10K says that Uncle Walt rubbed him wrong. The only problem that I had with Uncle Walt is that he smokes like a smokestack but I sort of liked that guy in a weird way and I appreciate the hostel letting him stay there and work - - he's sort of a free-spirit of the trail - - really didn't mind him at all.

Thanks for your posts - - we're all good. Cheers.

Del Q
01-20-2013, 21:48
Coming up on my 1000th post, trying to be selective here.

1. yes, I think that running a hostel and dealing with the public, thru's and other hikers, many, many challenges. Some crappy experiences could taint anyone's perspective
2. No $$$ in it
3. This hostel was GREAT from my experience, they picked friends up 10 miles back and shuttled them back to their car in Hanover............got a pizza delivered, shower, washed my clothes. What else do we really need? Eccletic, fun, cool spot. Shared my Pizza with those around the fire pit.
4. Backpacking is my hobby of choice, I save $$ for gear, food, shuttle drivers, etc.

The SUPER LOW FEE'S that are charged by hostels and providers along the trail, I am so friggin happy to have what I receive I always over tip, what is a few bucks one way or the other when you add it all up?

Q

Chaco Taco
01-20-2013, 23:56
Well said and thanks for clarification. I can see where you are coming from and I respect that. You are right though, its a great place regardless and Packrat is a good guy. Glad you saw past any bad vibes and still had a good time.

thanks - likewise - I tend to run my mouth - Phat Chap just said things to some young SOBO thru - hikers in August that I thought was uncalled for, demeaning and essentially rained on their parade. The consensus among all the guests was that he was out of line and I talked to folks later who sort of had the same opinion. I'm actually friends with a friend of the owner of the hostel (forget his name) but I know he's a triple-crowner and a super legit guy. The place is great - bunks, books, plenty of towels, hot water, hammocks in the yard, etc. - - no problem with the HWC - - Phat Chap just surprised me a bit, I guess.

10K says that Uncle Walt rubbed him wrong. The only problem that I had with Uncle Walt is that he smokes like a smokestack but I sort of liked that guy in a weird way and I appreciate the hostel letting him stay there and work - - he's sort of a free-spirit of the trail - - really didn't mind him at all.

Thanks for your posts - - we're all good. Cheers.