PDA

View Full Version : WI scout troop High Adventure... between Nanty and Ocoee Rivers... need info.

philllll
11-10-2012, 10:45
Hey guys, first post... our scout troop is considering a high adventure trip from northern WI to GSMNP area. We're planning on starting with a day on the Nantahala River or Pigeon River (inflatable kayaks) and ending with a raft trip on the Ocoee River. We'd like to do 3 or 4 days backbacking during the week.

I'm looking for suggested routes/sections, info/links on any permits or group size guidelines, etc.
Timeframe will be last week of July. We'll have a bus to cover shuttle.
Views, waterfalls, swimming holes, side trips, and "don't tell mom" adventure are of interest.

any input would be great!
thanks.

MuddyWaters
11-10-2012, 11:20
There are scout camps that offer both whitewater and trekking. Daniel Boone, Powhattan, etc.

I personally wouldnt encourage a large group to go on the AT. No matter who they are, and Im a scout leader.

The reason is 100% of the time, they dont have a clue what they are doing, they monopolize space, disturb others, are loud and noisy, and not LNT. Watching them is commonly called "Hiker TV".

This is why the grand canyon limits group size as well.

philllll
11-10-2012, 12:07
as a troop, we do a self guided week backpack or canoe trip annually, so there's a knowledge base there. so yea, it is a group of boys but not a total clown show.
depending on area, we break into appropriate size groups (we find 6 is as small as works out though with BSA guidelines) throughout upper midwest and out west... this will be our first time towards SE and the AT.

thanks for the input.

MuddyWaters
11-10-2012, 14:38
When we have had a large group on the Ozark Highlands Trail, we have split into 2 groups of about 6-8, and gone in different directions, swapping keys when we meet in the middle. It avoids excessive impact, keeps the group size manageable, and solves the issue of shuttling between trail heads.

Shelters in the GSMNP only hold 12, you have to stay in them, and you need reservations. Next yr you will need reservations at every site in the GSMNP, and it will be $5 per person per night as well for the reservation.

MuddyWaters
11-10-2012, 14:47
How many miles per day do you think yall can cover in the mountains? Thats what would be important. From what I have seen, a large group of overloaded kids will probably do 5-7, and that wont get you very far. I know our troop once made a 4 day trip out of a 30 mile stretch that my son and I had done in 2 days.

gollwoods
11-10-2012, 15:30
one Idea, it is close to pigeon river. there is a group site to camp along big creek which has room for several tents and makes a nice base camp.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/groupcamps.htm

you can access the A T to see the Mt cammerer firetower as a day hike or part of an overnight. also you can access the easy big creek trail with some fishing and possibly swimming.

a loop hike possibility http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=271645

shelb
11-10-2012, 16:55
I am also a scout leader of a troop from a "flat-lander" state. While our kids easily hike 10-20 miles in flatter areas, such as on the North Country Trail, when they hit the mountains - those elevation changes slow them down significantly. I wouldn't plan on your kids doing more than 10 mile days.

As others mentioned, and you also addressed, group size and LNT is very important. Unfortunately, way too many scout groups ignore these principles, giving scouts a very bad image in the backpacking community on the AT. Your group should not be any more than 10 (eight if camping). The advise about having the groups start at opposite ends is a good one and it solves the problem of shuttling.

PLEASE, PLEASE, impress upon your scouts to use trail manners:
Quiet down when you are hiking around other people
Step aside for other hikers, making room for them to pass
NEVER use the shelters, unless it is required to do so.
Practice LNT!!

Happy Hiking!

daddytwosticks
11-10-2012, 16:59
Standing Indian Loop. West of Franklin, NC and not far from the Nantahala Outdoor Center. Easy three day hike of about 24 miles. Views, creeks, good trail. :)

rdljr
11-10-2012, 17:51
If you are open to considering other parts of the country, Rafting/hiking can accomodate very large groups in Maine along the AT with large campsites off the trail (Read away from other hikers) on old abandon logging roads and established group sites near the rafting centers The trail just north of Monson Maine comes to mind.

just dad
11-11-2012, 20:07
We tent camped near a group of Scouts at Wawayanda Shelter in NY in June. Those boys were some of the best behaved people we have met on the trail. The leaders said they did high adventure with the troop every year and the scouts were well trained and very courteous. The GSMNP is beautiful, but it can be hard to get permits for the AT shelters. A lot of scouts hike the section north of Damascus, VA. This area includes the highlands and the wild ponies. One of my favorite southern sections is the area between Erwin, TN and Watauga Lake. This area has lots of balds and open views.

Astro
11-11-2012, 21:50
I am also a scout leader of a troop from a "flat-lander" state. While our kids easily hike 10-20 miles in flatter areas, such as on the North Country Trail, when they hit the mountains - those elevation changes slow them down significantly. I wouldn't plan on your kids doing more than 10 mile days.

As others mentioned, and you also addressed, group size and LNT is very important. Unfortunately, way too many scout groups ignore these principles, giving scouts a very bad image in the backpacking community on the AT. Your group should not be any more than 10 (eight if camping). The advise about having the groups start at opposite ends is a good one and it solves the problem of shuttling.

PLEASE, PLEASE, impress upon your scouts to use trail manners:
Quiet down when you are hiking around other people
Step aside for other hikers, making room for them to pass
NEVER use the shelters, unless it is required to do so.
Practice LNT!!

Happy Hiking!

As a former Scoutmaster and being in the egg business as teenager, I can say that unfortunately one bad eggs make more of an impression than a dozen dozen good ones.

MuddyWaters
11-11-2012, 22:01
If you want ADVENTURE, rafting section IV of the Chatooga would more adventurous as well.