PDA

View Full Version : AT in Maryland

Many Moons
11-10-2012, 15:10
Looking for some insider info on AT in Maryland. Looking to show a friend about hiking and he can only get off work for 5 days or so. Looks like we could knock out Maryland fairly easy. Is this a fun section to hike? Is September or October a beter time to hike? We are also thinking about Conn, but could get to Harpers Ferry easier, anyone hike from Harpers Ferry to Penn state line ever? Hike On!!!

Miller

Pedaling Fool
11-10-2012, 15:12
Maryland has a good amount of rocks, more so than southern Pa. That's the only hiccup I can see; other than that it's an easy state.

fredmugs
11-10-2012, 15:43
5 days? No problem

Cookerhiker
11-10-2012, 15:45
MD is not difficult. The rockiest part is the northernmost few miles getting close to PenMar. You should be able to do it very easily in 5 days.

tf bear
11-10-2012, 16:33
Five days. No problem. The views are awesome coming out of Harpers Ferry. Plenty of nice shelters and camp sites. Lots of history on the trail. My 13 yr old son did it and had a blast.

shelb
11-10-2012, 16:39
HF to Penn Mar was the first section I hiked. I went in August 2009 with my boys (ages 10 & 12 at the time), and we completed the section in 5 days without a problem taking our time. It is a great section with nice views and several historical sites.

We have fond memories of that hike!

joshuasdad
11-10-2012, 16:44
Looking for some insider info on AT in Maryland. Looking to show a friend about hiking and he can only get off work for 5 days or so. Looks like we could knock out Maryland fairly easy. Is this a fun section to hike? Is September or October a beter time to hike? We are also thinking about Conn, but could get to Harpers Ferry easier, anyone hike from Harpers Ferry to Penn state line ever? Hike On!!!

Miller

4 days would be a leisurely hike with a pack. I suggest October for the autumn leaves, and the lessened chance of overly hot days. 90s are possible in early September.

It is generally more pleasant to hike southbound, towards Harper's Ferry; otherwise you climb Weaverton Cliffs on your first day out from Harper's Ferry with a full pack.

Dahlgren Campground is a nice surprise for some -- free hot showers and flush toilets near a nice tenting area.

Views are decent, but there are long stretches with no views (for example, the section north of Weaverton Cliffs). Some of the historical sites are nice (Washington Monument).

There are rocks, but mainly in the northern section. I remember a long rock-hopping section about 10 miles from Penn Mar which was worse than anything I experienced in Southern PA, but pales to what you see beginning around Harrisburg, PA.

I prefer CT to MD for hiking (and NC is better than both). That being said, MD is a great place to start, and picked it for my first extended weekend of section hiking in September of last year (it was hot...).

Hope you have a great hike!

Malto
11-11-2012, 09:41
Maryland would be easy in five days, many do it in a day. This would not be my choice of a five day hike on the AT unless you are big into history and want to explore some of the civil war areas. You didn't say what was leading to the choice of Maryland vs. other areas such as northern SNP, north out of Port Clinton PA ( likely my favorite section in the area) or even HF to Front Royal Va. If you open to other ares then I believe there are better choices.

Many Moons
11-11-2012, 10:34
Maryland would be easy in five days, many do it in a day. This would not be my choice of a five day hike on the AT unless you are big into history and want to explore some of the civil war areas. You didn't say what was leading to the choice of Maryland vs. other areas such as northern SNP, north out of Port Clinton PA ( likely my favorite section in the area) or even HF to Front Royal Va. If you open to other ares then I believe there are better choices.

The reason for this is I am knocking out the AT in section hikes and not really wanting to skip around too much. This April I am going to do the Smokies to Hot Springs. My friend wants to hike, he's in shape and does not care what we do. I was thinking if we did Maryland or Conn. it would fit the time frame and make it work into my section hiking. I am sure we would be able to handle 10-15mile days. I was wanting to do an area that would get him hooked on the AT. He hiked in Peru and guided and does not think he'll like the AT. He does not understand how it can be so close to towns and still be fun/backcountry experience. We are both firefighters and can get 5 days of to hike fairly easy. That is why I am choosing this section. My only other option is starting Hot Springs NB in the Fall if I make it that far this spring. Hike On!!!

Miller

tdoczi
11-11-2012, 10:58
I was wanting to do an area that would get him hooked on the AT.

Miller

if you take him to MD for 5 days thats the last he'll ever set foot on the AT. if you are spending 5 days and want to do it in that area do a larger section, or better yet, go somewhere more interesting. unless your friend is a civil war buff. 5 days doing just the 40 miles of MD for someone who can hike 15 miles a day would very likely be torture.

Rain Man
11-11-2012, 11:40
I led a group through Mayland in May. For what it's worth to you, here's a link to the thread, which itself contains a link to a photo album/trip report.

AT-through-MD-May-19-22-2012 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?83610-AT-through-MD-May-19-22-2012&highlight=)

We enjoyed it very much.

Rain:sunMan

Cookerhiker
11-11-2012, 12:21
if you take him to MD for 5 days thats the last he'll ever set foot on the AT. if you are spending 5 days and want to do it in that area do a larger section, or better yet, go somewhere more interesting. unless your friend is a civil war buff. 5 days doing just the 40 miles of MD for someone who can hike 15 miles a day would very likely be torture.

I like all of the AT including the 40 miles in MD but I agree with Tdoczi when considering the circumstances of your friend's hiking experience and perspective. I recommend anywhere in Virginia from Shenandoah NP southward where the mountains are higher. How about west of I-81 between Daleville and Pearisburg? He'll get to see McAfee Knob, Tinker Cliffs, the Keffer Oak, views from the ridges including Wind Rock. It's more remote so that your nights won't have lights from the valleys appearing like they're only a few feet away.

Pedaling Fool
11-11-2012, 12:32
I like all of the AT including the 40 miles in MD but I agree with Tdoczi when considering the circumstances of your friend's hiking experience and perspective. I recommend anywhere in Virginia from Shenandoah NP southward where the mountains are higher. How about west of I-81 between Daleville and Pearisburg? He'll get to see McAfee Knob, Tinker Cliffs, the Keffer Oak, views from the ridges including Wind Rock. It's more remote so that your nights won't have lights from the valleys appearing like they're only a few feet away.Personally, I can't argue with that. If you want to impress on your friend the joy of hiking, than that'd be best accomplished with a hike involving views.

Leanthree
11-11-2012, 13:11
I took my dad to MD for a 3 day hike south from I-70 for his first backpacking trip in 25 years. (we lived in DC at the time) Hike into Harper's Ferry rather than out of Harper's Ferry if you choose to do it. A truly great view from Weaverton Cliffs.

That being said, towards you, Grayson Highlands has to be more of a highlight for a new hiker who likes hiking in Peru.

Many Moons
11-11-2012, 15:41

I see your point. I also could do Conn. or leave out of Hot Springs NB. Like I said earlier I did not want to jump around in middle of states. I will check out these other areas. Hike On!

Miller

tdoczi
11-11-2012, 16:48
I see your point. I also could do Conn. or leave out of Hot Springs NB. Like I said earlier I did not want to jump around in middle of states. I will check out these other areas. Hike On!

Miller

well, its up to you what your priorities are, but "not jumping around" and getting your friend "hooked" may not both be possible, though CT is much better an option that MD i think.

Blissful
11-11-2012, 17:48
Maryland is an excellent hike. I was the ridgerunner there over the summer. Great history in the south with Civil War, a humble monument to Washington, several state parks. Great views are on the trail via Annapolis Rocks and Black Rock, plus the tower. And the shelters are great. But it depends on your friends needs. Honestly you might take him down to Damascus and hike North.

Country Roads
11-11-2012, 19:28
5 days should be plenty of time. Some rocks north of Wolfeville road, but not that bad. A rocky section south of wolfesville road, but again, not that bad (but I am from WV and rocks are a given here). Most of the AT south of Wolfesville road is pretty easy, only a few work-up-a-sweat climbs (I always want to eat lamb chops after Lambs Knoll).
Very nice and scenic, water sources are spaced decently, the shelters are in good shape, hammock sites are at all the shelters as are tent sites.

Many Moons
11-11-2012, 22:47
Maryland is an excellent hike. I was the ridgerunner there over the summer. Great history in the south with Civil War, a humble monument to Washington, several state parks. Great views are on the trail via Annapolis Rocks and Black Rock, plus the tower. And the shelters are great. But it depends on your friends needs. Honestly you might take him down to Damascus and hike North.

Come on dude u can do better than that! Damascus is not an option. Did u read the previous threads? NB out of Hot Springs this fall, if i make it that far this coming spring. HF NB this fall or NB to knock out Conn. this fall/13. I did Damascus in May for traildays and will do it again when I hike the area. Got to plan my section hikes so I can keep up with what has been done and what needs to be done. Need to have sections that work into plan to finish the AT in 2017. Hike On!!!

Miller
ILMT

Many Moons
11-11-2012, 22:49

I am new to hiking! What is a ridgerunner? Hike On!!!

Miller

thebrewguy
11-11-2012, 23:50
I just did the Maryland section in mid September. Went NB from Harpers Ferry to Pen Mar. Took 4 days. Don't let them fool you, there is a big climb (I'd say worse than Weaverton cliffs) going SB a few miles from Pen Mar. Raven Rocks shelter was nice but the water source was across the AT and down down down and it was only a trickle. There are a few nice views but more historical stuff like others have said. If you hike south from Harpers Ferry to Front Royal there are some really awesome views. That'd be a good intro to the AT especially since it includes the Rollercoaster :) And definitely stay at Bears Den and get the Hikers special.

HikerMom58
11-12-2012, 07:56
I am new to hiking! What is a ridgerunner? Hike On!!!

Miller

I believe a ridgerunner is a paid person that patrols a certain section of the AT during the high peak hiking season. They try to have all the sections covered. Do the ridgerunners move up the trail as the "hiking bubble" moves north? I've always wondered about that.

RED-DOG
11-12-2012, 08:22
No Ridgerunner's have certain sections they patrol most of the time it's a small section, when a person gets hired by the ATC they pick a section and thats theirs year round. they don't move up or down the AT.

tdoczi
11-12-2012, 12:47
I believe a ridgerunner is a paid person that patrols a certain section of the AT during the high peak hiking season. They try to have all the sections covered. Do the ridgerunners move up the trail as the "hiking bubble" moves north? I've always wondered about that.

over most of the AT the "bubble" is a miniscule fraction of total hikers using the trail. the ridgerunners are there for everyone, not for the thru hikers.

FarmerChef
11-12-2012, 14:16
I like all of the AT including the 40 miles in MD but I agree with Tdoczi when considering the circumstances of your friend's hiking experience and perspective. I recommend anywhere in Virginia from Shenandoah NP southward where the mountains are higher. How about west of I-81 between Daleville and Pearisburg? He'll get to see McAfee Knob, Tinker Cliffs, the Keffer Oak, views from the ridges including Wind Rock. It's more remote so that your nights won't have lights from the valleys appearing like they're only a few feet away.

I have to agree. MD is, in my opinion, got to be the easiest section of the AT. It is mostly flat and viewless. Since your friend sounds like the kind who would prefer more of a challenge and more outstanding views I would agree that SNP southward is good, especially below SNP. Down there you go through several wilderness areas that truly are "out there." He won't feel at all close to town until you hit one. Agreed on McAfee Knob, Tinker Cliffs, etc. All great views. Perhaps consider putting in at Waynesboro and heading south? Or starting around Blacksburg and heading north. If you go in the fall mid-Octoberish the mountains will dazzle with fall colors and the elevation change allows for a nice grace-period if you don't hit peak right on time.

Blissful
11-12-2012, 15:18
Come on dude u can do better than that! Damascus is not an option. Did u read the previous threads? NB out of Hot Springs this fall, if i make it that far this coming spring. HF NB this fall or NB to knock out Conn. this fall/13. I did Damascus in May for traildays and will do it again when I hike the area. Got to plan my section hikes so I can keep up with what has been done and what needs to be done. Need to have sections that work into plan to finish the AT in 2017. Hike On!!!

Miller
ILMT

Wow. Oh, and I happen to be a dudette by the way. I was replying to your original post asking for a hike to show a friend (who you said was a skilled hiker and wanted 1o-15 mile days). I didn't know this this was YOUR hike and not your friend's (I don't have time to sift through a multitude of responses). Pardon me for trying to help.

Good luck and fair thee well.

HikerMom58
11-12-2012, 16:06
No Ridgerunner's have certain sections they patrol most of the time it's a small section, when a person gets hired by the ATC they pick a section and thats theirs year round. they don't move up or down the AT.

I see. Thanks RED DOG

over most of the AT the "bubble" is a miniscule fraction of total hikers using the trail. the ridgerunners are there for everyone, not for the thru hikers.

tdoczi... I see... do u know how long the ridgerunners stay out on the trail? How many months? I should have asked Blissful.....

Many Moons
11-12-2012, 22:16
Wow. Oh, and I happen to be a dudette by the way. I was replying to your original post asking for a hike to show a friend (who you said was a skilled hiker and wanted 1o-15 mile days). I didn't know this this was YOUR hike and not your friend's (I don't have time to sift through a multitude of responses). Pardon me for trying to help.

Good luck and fair thee well.

It is all good! I see your point. I just did not want to mess up my OCD personality. Have u been from Hot Springs NB? If I get that far this spring that would work. I want to leave out of Damascus after traildays when I hike that far. Meet thru's that I hiked with out of Springer in April there this past May. It looks like Maryland is out, looks like all agree that it is too easy for a young experienced hiker. Conn. may be a hike also. Sorry, did not mean to be offensive, was joking around! Guess in print you can't see my smile!! Hike On!!!

Miller
ILMT

Many Moons
11-12-2012, 22:22
I see. Thanks RED DOG

tdoczi... I see... do u know how long the ridgerunners stay out on the trail? How many months? I should have asked Blissful.....

Do they get paid? I never met one this spring and was on trail for two weeks. What is there job? Are they like Game Wardens? Who pays them if they get paid? Do they give tickets? Hike On!!!

Miller
ILMT

Many Moons
11-12-2012, 22:42

Can you explain what a ridgerunner is? I never met one yet on the trail. Looks like a varying opinion what a ridgerunner is from some of the posts. Please explain! Hike On!!!

Miller
ILMT

tdoczi
11-12-2012, 23:46
I see. Thanks RED DOG

one told me once, cant say i remember. i'm sure it varies from place to place. despite what was implied somewhere in here i dont think they work for the ATC, but rather for the various local clubs- gmc, matc, etc and i dont think every club has them either.

middle to middle
11-12-2012, 23:47
I encountered the univ of MD cross country team out runing it in an afternoon.

FarmerChef
11-13-2012, 12:02
Can you explain what a ridgerunner is? I never met one yet on the trail. Looks like a varying opinion what a ridgerunner is from some of the posts. Please explain! Hike On!!!

Miller
ILMT

Here is a link to the ATC's website and page on ridgerunners and caretakers (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/what-we-do/trail-management-support/ridgerunners-caretakers). In short, Ridgerunners are seasonal employees paid by the ATC, one of the trail maintaining clubs or one of the "land managing agency partners." They are assigned a specific section of trail to patrol in order to interact with hikers and help monitor trail conditions. Their typical season begins as early as foot traffic on the trail begins to perk up and the same goes for the end of the season (fall colors). For some places this is as early as February and others as late as October (from the ATC website). They aren't like game wardens in the sense that they aren't there to punish. Thus they also don't give tickets. They are there to educate hikers on LNT, provide information (such as directions, shelter locations, roads, etc.), help with proper camp set up (like how to safely store food), review travel plans and more. Think of them less like an officer and more like a kiosk.

Every one I've met has been very helpful, polite, a great source of information and almost always has gone out of their way to help me and my family. One has given me a ride back to my car and at least one took the time to play games with and teach my 7 year old while we were at a campsite one night. We always look forward to meeting a ridgerunner or caretaker on the trail.

HikerMom58
11-13-2012, 12:18
FarmerChef...that sounds about right. Ur description of the ridgerunner you encountered on the trail lines up with what I've heard about them... I also remember seeing ads needing ridgerunners for seasonal employment. That would be a cool job... a good one for extroverts.