PDA

View Full Version : What degree bag/quilt for Mid April start NOBO

Cozy
11-10-2012, 19:24
1) What degree bag/quilt should I bring for a mid April start NOBO with a tent?

2) What about if I switch to a hammock? Same degree as above with a top quilt?

Right now I have a 20 degree down Go Lite quilt and a Northface synthetic 40 degree bag. And a 50 degree Thermarest quilt.

Thx.

mountain squid
11-10-2012, 20:09
At least a 30f bag for a tent from 15 Apr and later (and there will likely be some cold nights with a 30f). Unsure about a hammock but you definitely will need an underquilt or something to provide insulation underneath.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)
some observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?14493-observations-from-fs42-(advice-for-first-week-on-trail)&highlight=).

swjohnsey
11-10-2012, 22:48

moldy
11-11-2012, 10:28
You need to start with the 20 degree bag. 5 or 6 weeks later it will be late May and you will be past Mt Rogers and it will be time for you to switch with the 40 degree bag. Switch back to the 20 degree bag after Vermont.

q-tip
11-11-2012, 19:31
Bring the 20, you can always switch out later....

Camel2012
11-14-2012, 04:09
I started April 15th this year, and with my 30 degree bag, i had some cool nights, but i carried a liner, and on freezing nights with my liner and wearing my base layer, i burned up, i would usually end up stripping off my base layer.

moytoy
11-14-2012, 08:48
I have hiked on the Southern AT in April with snow and also temps in the 60's. I take my 20* bag knowing I may not need it but happy I have it if I do.
I also depends on you and your bag. I have a campmor 20* bag it probably is not a true 20.

msupple
11-14-2012, 09:58
I left this Spring on April 2nd. I had a 30 degree Western Mounaineering Megalite and a 20 degree Hammock Gear UQ under my hammock. I was comfortable down into the low twenties. I should add that my hammock was a Dream Hammocks Dangerbird with the built in top weathershield which raises the inside temperature quite a bit.

Cat in the Hat

Cozy
11-14-2012, 13:01
What kind of a tarp did you use for your trip? I ordered a Warbonet Blackbird DDL 1.1 hammock. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow.

Cozy
11-14-2012, 13:04
I started April 15th this year, and with my 30 degree bag, i had some cool nights, but i carried a liner, and on freezing nights with my liner and wearing my base layer, i burned up, i would usually end up stripping off my base layer.

Thanks. This information helps a lot.

Cozy
11-14-2012, 13:06
I left this Spring on April 2nd. I had a 30 degree Western Mounaineering Megalite and a 20 degree Hammock Gear UQ under my hammock. I was comfortable down into the low twenties. I should add that my hammock was a Dream Hammocks Dangerbird with the built in top weathershield which raises the inside temperature quite a bit.

Cat in the Hat

What kind of a tarp did you use for your trip? I ordered a Warbonet Blackbird DDL 1.1 hammock. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow. I am considering getting a tarp with doors for some privacy and to retain heat. Good/bad idea for a thru hike?

G-FOURce
11-14-2012, 14:21
1) What degree bag/quilt should I bring for a mid April start NOBO with a tent?

2) What about if I switch to a hammock? Same degree as above with a top quilt?

Right now I have a 20 degree down Go Lite quilt and a Northface synthetic 40 degree bag. And a 50 degree Thermarest quilt.

Thx.

Have you ever condisderd a S2S Thermolite Reactor? If you're not a really cold sleeper then perhaps that and the THF 40* bag would make a workable solution. i know its not on your list of items, but they're inexpensive and the reviews are solid.

msupple
11-14-2012, 16:22
What kind of a tarp did you use for your trip? I ordered a Warbonet Blackbird DDL 1.1 hammock. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow. I am considering getting a tarp with doors for some privacy and to retain heat. Good/bad idea for a thru hike?

I had 144" Hennessy Rectangular tarp. I like the extra coverage with minimal extra weight. I have not bought into the tarps with doors concept yet. Also keep in mind that I had a hammock with a weather-shield on top which makes a big difference. I think a larger tarp without the doors offers plenty of protection. At least it did for me. I would find it a hassle dealing with the doors etc. There were a few times when it might have been nice to have doors but they were rather infrequent. I never felt the need for extra privacy. It's easy to get changed in a hammock without exposing yourself even from a sitting position with your legs hanging out. Plus, I'd say over half the time I wasn't sleeping at or near a shelter. Even when I did I was usually off a ways in the trees with plenty of privacy.

I may,in the future, spring for a cuben tarp but still without doors. I just don't feel the need. Perhaps if I did tons of winter camping I might....but I don't. Regarding heat retention....I would consider getting one of Warbonnets pull on weathershied. He says it will increase the inside temps about 20 degrees. I don't think the addition of doors will accomplish that much increase. Plus...once it warms up you can send it home....not so with built in doors.

Good luck, Cat in the Hat

RWheeler
11-14-2012, 18:04
I took a WM SummerLite (32F) with me on my April start. I hit freezing temps through the Smokies, but with layers in the bag I was still ok. I am a bit of a warm sleeper, though.

Cozy
11-23-2012, 21:23
Have you ever condisderd a S2S Thermolite Reactor? If you're not a really cold sleeper then perhaps that and the THF 40* bag would make a workable solution. i know its not on your list of items, but they're inexpensive and the reviews are solid.

I'll check it out. Thx!