PDA

View Full Version : Trail Maintenance equal A LOT of WEIGHT

"Atlas"
11-10-2012, 20:15
I am heading out for the first time with our local Trail Club, not to the A.T. but to a semi-local State Park. As I was packing up for the trip, I noticed that I was bringing a ton of cotton clothes, extra shirts, undies, socks.....everything. All in the name of not wearing the same grimy smelly wet clothes everyday. I could barely get everything, minus food and water, into my 90L Backpack. Ridiculous what we go through when we are in close quarters for a week. We are staying in a rather nice beach home, complete with showers, kitchen and Jacuzzi.

Do you all go through the same "Socially Responsible" behaviors when doing Trail Maintenance?

The Cleaner
11-10-2012, 20:28
It varies from club to club as to the particulars.I usually do a 3 day,2nite over&back to check on 2 AT shelters.Clean shelters& remove&pack out all non burnable trash.May cut a few small blowdowns w/hand ax if needed.......

Slo-go'en
11-10-2012, 22:01
In your case, I'd have "work" clothes and "social" clothes - one set of each. No sense in getting too crazy.

"Atlas"
11-10-2012, 22:34
In your case, I'd have "work" clothes and "social" clothes - one set of each. No sense in getting too crazy.

That Sir is a great idea.....Time to repack.

SevenPines
11-10-2012, 22:35
I am heading out for the first time with our local Trail Club.......Do you all go through the same "Socially Responsible" behaviors when doing Trail Maintenance?

I am guessing you are doing work with the Tidewater AT Club...congratulations and tank you for giving some volunteer hours to do some trail work!

I am proud Konnarock alumni and spend at least a week every summer with friends doing trail work. It is some of the hardest and most gratifying work I've performed.

Yes, everyone wears the same clothes to do work in everyday. I always bring camp clothes for after the work day and then some very clean clothes for the epic "end of the work week" shower and dinner.

leaftye
11-11-2012, 00:04
Yep, I bring a lot of clothes for trail work when I don't have to carry it. I might wear the same work clothing every day, but I'll have enough after work clothing that I smell okay at the end of the day...usually cotton.

If I'm hiking into a project, I'll bring two sets of clothes. Work clothes and camp clothes. I might bring a second camp shirt for longer projects. I also do trail laundry on longer projects.

Cookerhiker
11-11-2012, 12:30
I once went on a Sierra Club-sponsored trail construction trip - we were working on building missing pieces of the Arizona Trail. It was amusing that the club leaders' suggested packing list included changes of socks, shirts, and underwear for each of the 6 days. And this was a site that we had to backpack about 5 miles to reach - in other words, we didn't have cars full of bulging suitcases within an easy stroll.

Don't remember what all the other participants brought but some followed the instructions to the letter. Me, not at all. This was a backpacking trip - one change of clothes and that only for emergencies. I don't recall being shunned by anyone as the week went on.

bigcranky
11-11-2012, 19:38

Yeah, this is what we do when we go paddling and stay at a cottage or B&B or something. We wear the same clothes every day on the water, then have something a little nicer to change into at the end of the day.

WalkinHome
11-12-2012, 13:43
I usually go up to Monson early in the day, work on the corridor, spend that night at Shaw's then work the next day then home. How great is that? I have one dedicated set of work clothes for the work as they are splashed all over with yellow paint! No sense in ruining (styling) other clothing. It's all good.