PDA

View Full Version : Shuttle from Unicoi Gap to Springer Mtn.

BobL
11-11-2012, 00:14
My son will be starting an AT Thru in early March (current plan). I'll be driving him down and want to do a small section with him. I figure i can handle to Unicoi Gap without too much problem. Looking for options and costs to get from the car to the start. I'm proud of him and want to support his hike anyway i can. My plan is to do this section, the 100 mi. Wilderness thru Katadin and a week or two in the middle someplace. It is his hike and i do not want to slow him down... he does have a schedule to keep. Thoughts are to keep a resupply in the car so he won't have to stop in town. Will stuff keep in a cooler without getting cooked? anyone try that yet?

generoll
11-11-2012, 08:47
Your plan seems reasonable enough. There are several shuttlers in the area and many people do just as you are describing. Forecasts are for a colder winter then last year, but even one day of sunshine at Unicoi could get things pretty warm in your car. Good luck.

moytoy
11-11-2012, 09:31
Call Wes Wisson 706-747-2671. I think he can do the shuttle for you.

max patch
11-11-2012, 10:02
With a car at Unicoi I wouldn't worry about a resupply -- you're like 10 miles from Hiawassee which has everything a hiker needs. I used maildrops but still had to go to the grocery for cheese, bread, etc. Restaurant meal will be a treat. If you don't stay at Mountain Crossings he'll be ready for laundry and a shower. Depending on what time you reach Unicoi you may want a hotel room for the nite.

BobL
11-11-2012, 20:29
Thanks for the feedback, i was wondering if it was even feasible. Generoll... my thoughts about the temp inside the car exactly. He is watching the winter weather to determine a start date which could float a couple weeks one way or the other. moytoy, thanks for the name. i've seen his listing. max patch... you make some very good points about perishables. the time we hit the crossing is also an excellent point. thanks all.

Rambler
12-12-2012, 00:10
Contact the folks at Hiker Hostel

Rambler
12-12-2012, 00:11
http://www.hikerhostel.com/

Razor
12-12-2012, 21:32
Also Gene Roll or generoll is a great shuttle--call him!