PDA

View Full Version : New sleeping bag

NaturalHiker
11-11-2012, 13:10
Im going to pick up a new sleeping bag from REI today, but am having trouble deciding between the Marmot Helium or one of the new DriDown or Downtek bags. I'll be starting my thru in early March, im usually cold natured and have hardly any body fat so i need a good cold weather bag. I'd like to only have to use one bag for my whole hike so a full length zipper is a top priority, so i can unzip it and just use as a blanket when it gets warmer, or leave unzipped so i can stick half my body/leg's out of it. Trying to be pretty lightweight and efficient here, using the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 tent, a GoLite Jam 50L bag, and a thermarest Xlite for my base gear, as far as a light sleeping bag goes i've narrowed it down to these

Marmot Helium: +15F temp rating, 2lbs 2oz, 6 x 12 stuff size, 399$

Sierra Designs Zissou DriDown: +15 temp rating, 2lbs 11oz, 8 x 16 stuff size, 259$

Big Agnes Bellyache Mountain SL Downtek: +15, 2lbs 7oz, 9 x 17.5, 299$

I've looked at FF, WM, and other bag's, but i'd just rather go down to my REI and grab one real quick today. Lightweight, compressible, at least down to 15 degree's, and a full length zipper are my main points. Thoughts?

Studlintsean
11-11-2012, 13:29
I have been looking at the Marmot Pinnacle. I believe it's 800 down fill, full zip,
and weighs 2 lbs 8oz. Right now it is on sale at REI for $279. Based on the bags your looking at above, I would recommend checking this bag out. I haven't found a bad review except that it doesn't weigh as little as some of the other top of the line bags (WM,FF) but for the price it sure seems like a great purchase.

NaturalHiker
11-11-2012, 13:56

Marmot Pinnacle: +10F temp rating, 2lbs 8oz, 7.5 x 16 stuff size, 279$

hm, wow your right, the marmot pinnacle not only has a lower temperature rating but it's also 120$ cheaper and only 6 ounces heavier.

thanks stud, are you thru hiking this spring?

NaturalHiker
11-11-2012, 14:00
But man the new hydrophobic down sure does look good.

Feral Bill
11-11-2012, 14:04
Lots of people, including me, have used regular down for many years and miles without incident.

NaturalHiker
11-11-2012, 14:06
hm, i know that's what i was thinking too.

Studlintsean
11-11-2012, 14:10

Marmot Pinnacle: +10F temp rating, 2lbs 8oz, 7.5 x 16 stuff size, 279$

hm, wow your right, the marmot pinnacle not only has a lower temperature rating but it's also 120$ cheaper and only 6 ounces heavier.

thanks stud, are you thru hiking this spring?

No problem. If you pick the pinnacle be sure to post a review and maybe a picture in its stuff sack. I am not thru hiking. Unfortunately I am not at a point in my life where that would be possible. I am more of a weekend warrior / short section hikes when I can get a few extra days off of work. I was suppose to go this weekend but with a new foster dog moving in this past Thursday I wasn't able to make it happen.

whatnot
11-11-2012, 14:43
I have a Marmot Pinnacle and am pleased with it. Rather than stuff it into the little sack it comes with, I just push it into a trash compactor bag with my dry clothes and shove it in the bottom of my ULA Circuit. Takes up very little room.

NaturalHiker
11-11-2012, 14:49
Thanks, really leaning toward's the pinnacle now.

Snowleopard
11-11-2012, 15:21
The Marmot Helium stuff sack is half the volume of the Marmot Pinnacle stuffs smaller (6 liters vs 12 liters). This could end up being a bigger factor than the differences in weight or temperature rating. The Big Agnes bag is 18 liters; that's a lot if you're using a 50 liter backpack.

You might try them both on in the store to see how roomy they are. If you plan on using them in temps below their temp ratings having enough room inside to wear more clothes is useful.

If you get a dry down bag, let us know how it works.

NaturalHiker
11-11-2012, 15:32
True, i'll have to check out both bag's in the store to see how they fit my needs. Im pretty minimal when it comes to everything else though so the 6 vs 12 liter comparison may not be an issue, although that's quite a big difference and i'll keep that point in mind.

Studlintsean
11-11-2012, 16:13
Thanks for the updates. Keep us posted

Blissful
11-11-2012, 17:43
Marmot makes good bags

Drybones
11-11-2012, 21:14
I don't know if the sale is still on but check out www.mountaingear.com (http://www.mountaingear.com). They had the Marmot Helium on sale for $279.

Drybones
11-11-2012, 21:19
The Marmot Helium stuff sack is half the volume of the Marmot Pinnacle stuffs smaller (6 liters vs 12 liters). This could end up being a bigger factor than the differences in weight or temperature rating. The Big Agnes bag is 18 liters; that's a lot if you're using a 50 liter backpack.

You might try them both on in the store to see how roomy they are. If you plan on using them in temps below their temp ratings having enough room inside to wear more clothes is useful.

If you get a dry down bag, let us know how it works.

Just bought a Helium, I gave up on using the stuff sack that came with it, too hard to pack, and used another sack I have. I also have the Pennacle but can't give you an honest comparison of the two since the Pennacle I have is 6 oz heavier than the specs. I suspect I actually have the 0 degree bag instead of the 15.

cabbagehead
11-11-2012, 23:53
I've seen a lot of those Big Agnes tents on the AT, and they're all huge.
This guy made a good list: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?89393-Tent-conundrum&highlight=tent
The tents in his list are still huge, but should be lighter than the BA.

I don't know what sleeping bag brands are good. Look for something where you can have all the insulation on top. You don't want sleeping bag insulation between you and the mat. A continuous batten bag will allow the insulation to be shifted to one side. The last time I checked, down was the best.

Understand the battens: http://www.downbags.co.uk/info/sleeping-bags/sleeping-bag-construction

Don't forget a dry bag compression sack.

NaturalHiker
11-12-2012, 03:49
Ya my BA comes in at 36 oz's packaged weight w/ poles completely freestanding, and i dont have to use trekking poles, so im not sweating it for now. Although man i do like those tarptents, thinking about grabbing the Notch for summertime, i love the double entry, good view's wherever you set it up, and the ventilation would be great. And it looks like most of the tarptents can have an open door in the rain without rain entering the inside of the tent, the most annoying issue it seems with my BA tent. If its raining your stuck looking at the inside of the walls of the tent, because the cover doesnt go all the way over the door.

Anyways, I think im going to go pick up the Helium in the morning, im lovin the compressibility. Definitely going to grab a liner to go with it though, what material do you guys like for a liner?

bubonicplay
11-12-2012, 11:08
Just wear baselayers, liners are not multiuse.

G-FOURce
11-12-2012, 11:30
have you considered a Stoic bag? i have their Alpine Suite 4p tent and the craftsmanship and quality are on par with the Sierra Designs and Marmot tents I have owned. i havent ever seen/used their sleeping bags, but if they're as well made as their tents then they might be worth a look.

http://stoicgear.com/home/equipment/sleeping-bags/

NaturalHiker
11-12-2012, 20:38
Those do look nice, but i'd rather have a full length side zipper. Grabbed the Helium for my thru today, it should arrive on Sunday.

G-FOURce
11-12-2012, 21:37
Giddy up, my man....

Dogwood
11-13-2012, 01:38
Lots of people, including me, have used regular down for many years and miles without incident.

Me too. Ditto.