PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else starting on Jan. 1st?

Rifle
11-11-2012, 13:30
Hey all, I'm new to this whole forum thing, but I figured I'd register on here to get some support and advice :) I'm starting my first thru hike on January 1, 2013. Gonna be freezing, I know. Crazy? Maybe. But I'm going to do it, and I'm going to get to Maine. I have a pretty good idea what I'm getting myself into, and I've got my mind set on it. Any tips/advice? Mainly, is anyone else planning on being on the trail any time in January? Cheers.

Jeff
11-11-2012, 13:36
Lots of old threads on this. Here is one:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?78264-January-Start&highlight=starting+in+January

max patch
11-11-2012, 13:45
My advice, since you asked, is to start in the spring and finish in the fall instead of starting in winter and finishing in summer.

Good luck.

Cookerhiker
11-11-2012, 13:48
.... I have a pretty good idea what I'm getting myself into, and I've got my mind set on it. Any tips/advice?... .

Does your "pretty good idea" include the black flies and mosquitoes of Northern New England? A January start from Springer puts you at the peak of bug season up there.

Slo-go'en
11-11-2012, 15:42
There's usually a New Years eve party on top of Springer, so at least you woun't be alone the first night. There will probably even be a few who also start a through hike then, but it will get real lonely, real quick after that.

Unless you have already spent a significant amount of time hiking and camping in the cold, you really don't have any idea what your getting into. And if you have, then there probably isn't much any of us can tell you about it. Seeing that most people who start on Jan 1st usually don't last more then a couple of weeks out there, good luck to ya. Georgia isn't bad, but once you get into NC it will be a much harsher world to deal with.

The Cleaner
11-11-2012, 16:23
If the weather turns really cold,say nitetime temps near 0*,you may have to rethink your food supply.At that temp a lot of food items will freeze solid as a rock and will be useless....

Blissful
11-11-2012, 17:54
Snow, very cold, isolation, short days, unless you have done it don't say you have a pretty good idea what to expect. Tell that to the hiker in chest high snow drifts rescued in the Smokies.

JJJ
11-11-2012, 18:14
You're close to the trail head -no harm in givin' 'er a try.
Just be smart enough to bail if you get in over your head.
Of course we're all curious as heck as to how you've acquired your "pretty good idea".
I'm contemplating a short section in the South in Jan 13 if the forecast is not horrendous. I may start at Neel's Gap 2nd-3rd weekend.
Happy Trails.

q-tip
11-11-2012, 19:23
Strongly suggest you do some test hikes with your gear kit. It is far too late to get help if something doesn't work. In my experience, all of my rain gear failed at 13,000 ft. in India, hail sideways---I was with guides, but in serious trouble. With respect to cost--winter hiking gear can get very expensive, and you will need the best if you are going alone. Later may be kinder.....

RED-DOG
11-12-2012, 15:17
You need to do a lot of careful planning and be prepared to hike in a lot of cold weather and snow. good luck and happy hiking. RED-DOG

Tundra
11-12-2012, 16:35
I would strongly suggest gore-tex paclite for your rain gear. I don't trust anything but gore-tex for the winter. Make sure you regulate your temperature. Sweating in freezing temperatures can be dangerou at best. You need loose layers and you'll constantly be adjusting for comfort and safety. You will need designated clothes for camp only. A set of long johns, socks, hat and gloves. I also use a layering system for gloves. I use thin, synthetic liners for hiking and a thicker warmer set for camp and tent. I also carry and love my Mountain Laural Designs e-vent rain mitts. One ounce of amazingness. My glove layering system weighs 3 ounces and have kept me warm and dry during some pretty damn cold and wet winter days here in Alaska. My winter sleep system consists of a 35 degree, down, Western Mountaineering Highlite with a silk liner AND a Mountain Laural Designs 38 degree, synthetic quilt. I sleep on a small, 3/4 length therm-a-rest neo on top of an 1/8 inch Gossamer Gear thinlite pad. This system keeps my warm and is very versatile for changing conditions. I use cuben fiber dry bags to protect my down bag, quilt and clothes. They each get a separate drybag to ensure down stays dry. With a little care and cautiousness my sleeping kit, clothes and tent are gaurenteed to be dry (if i put them away dry)and ready when I need them. This system has worked for me. Let me know if I can offer anything else. Oh, and I sleep with damp trail clothes in between my sleeping pads to help dry them but to mainly keep them from freezing.

Tom Murphy
11-12-2012, 17:13
Read the pdf guidebook at WINTERCAMPERS.COM

http://www.wintercampers.com/wintercamperscom-home/guide-to-winter-camping/

1azarus
11-12-2012, 17:38
I would strongly suggest gore-tex paclite for your rain gear. I don't trust anything but gore-tex for the winter. Make sure you regulate your temperature. Sweating in freezing temperatures can be dangerou at best. You need loose layers and you'll constantly be adjusting for comfort and safety. You will need designated clothes for camp only. A set of long johns, socks, hat and gloves. I also use a layering system for gloves. I use thin, synthetic liners for hiking and a thicker warmer set for camp and tent. I also carry and love my Mountain Laural Designs e-vent rain mitts. One ounce of amazingness. My glove layering system weighs 3 ounces and have kept me warm and dry during some pretty damn cold and wet winter days here in Alaska. My winter sleep system consists of a 35 degree, down, Western Mountaineering Highlite with a silk liner AND a Mountain Laural Designs 38 degree, synthetic quilt. I sleep on a small, 3/4 length therm-a-rest neo on top of an 1/8 inch Gossamer Gear thinlite pad. This system keeps my warm and is very versatile for changing conditions. I use cuben fiber dry bags to protect my down bag, quilt and clothes. They each get a separate drybag to ensure down stays dry. With a little care and cautiousness my sleeping kit, clothes and tent are gaurenteed to be dry (if i put them away dry)and ready when I need them. This system has worked for me. Let me know if I can offer anything else. Oh, and I sleep with damp trail clothes in between my sleeping pads to help dry them but to mainly keep them from freezing.

that trail name, that address. i'd take his advice!

brian039
11-12-2012, 19:14

Everything this guy said plus you'll probably want to bring some sort of entertainment for the 4-5 hours of being in your tent since it gets dark at 4:30. Also bring $1-2,000 dollars extra money for waiting out storms in hotels unless you have some sort of support system in place.

generoll
11-12-2012, 19:32
all of the forest service roads in NC are gated and locked until mid March. That means no shuttles available except at highway crossings.

John B
11-12-2012, 19:53
Tundra, would you explain more about your glove set up for camp. What kind of thicker gloves or mits? You use the Mountain Laural e-vents more as a wind block? My hands always get so damned cold that they hurt and I can't move fingers enough even to use a lighter.

" I also use a layering system for gloves. I use thin, synthetic liners for hiking and a thicker warmer set for camp and tent. I also carry and love my Mountain Laural Designs e-vent rain mitts. One ounce of amazingness. My glove layering system weighs 3 ounces and have kept me warm and dry during some pretty damn cold and wet winter days here in Alaska."

banditsweet
11-12-2012, 20:19
Hey all, I'm new to this whole forum thing, but I figured I'd register on here to get some support and advice :) I'm starting my first thru hike on January 1, 2013. Gonna be freezing, I know. Crazy? Maybe. But I'm going to do it, and I'm going to get to Maine. I have a pretty good idea what I'm getting myself into, and I've got my mind set on it. Any tips/advice? Mainly, is anyone else planning on being on the trail any time in January? Cheers.

hell yea man im starting then too

Tundra
11-13-2012, 00:43
John B,
I just noticed I listed my glove system at 3oz. I wish, it actually weighs 8oz. ;) My e-vent rain mitts are great in rain, snow and wind. I use either my OR versa liners or the e-vent rain mitts while hiking; it really depends on the temperature and weather. If its raining, snowing, blowing, cold or any combination I'll wear both. I keep the thicker OR gripper gloves with my dry camp clothes. If its wet or raining i'll set up camp immidiately and do most of my camp chores in my liners and mitts while I'm still warm from hiking. This system seems to keep me pretty warm and dry. I always have dry gloves. If its really cold but dry ill set up camp in the gripper gloves. If it's really, really cold I'll wear the liners, gripper and e-vent. I just really like being able to adjust for different weather, chores and neccessity.

John B
11-13-2012, 09:56
Tundra, appreciate the info. I'm going to copy your glove system. thanks.

Rifle
11-13-2012, 23:34
That's awesome. What's your trail name? I intend to do the approach trail to Springer. If you'd like it'd be great to start with someone for a jump start on motivation. I love solitude, but I sure wouldn't mind some company every now and then, especially in the beginning. What do you say?

Rifle
11-13-2012, 23:36
That last post was meant for you, banditsweet :)

Rifle
11-13-2012, 23:39
If the weather turns really cold,say nitetime temps near 0*,you may have to rethink your food supply.At that temp a lot of food items will freeze solid as a rock and will be useless....

That's a great point that I hadn't thought of. Do you think I should stick with strickly dehydrated foods, grains, etc? Do you think there is any room for things like protein bars, beef jerky, summer sausage, peanut butter, etc (things with a little bit of moisture in them)?

Rifle
11-13-2012, 23:42
Does your "pretty good idea" include the black flies and mosquitoes of Northern New England? A January start from Springer puts you at the peak of bug season up there.

Well, not specifically, but I'm certainly well aware of the torment bugs can bring. Thanks for the heads up. My shelter system includes the OR advanced bivy which has a very effective bug screen. I also will have DEET spray and plenty of level-headed-patience :) And besides, I much prefer swarms of flies over swarms of hikers :D

Rifle
11-13-2012, 23:45

This is all great advice. Thanks for taking the time to write it. I know Alaska has a much harsher winter environment than the southeast, but even so, would you recommend I have snowshoes and/or crampons with me?

Slo-go'en
11-14-2012, 12:41
Power bars, candy bars, peanut butter and the like all get rock hard below freezing. You need to put those into an inside jacket pocket for a while before you can eat them.

You don't need snowshoes. If it gets to that point, you shouldn't be out there as your not going to get far anyway. Crampons OTOH, could well be worth while. They could mean the difference between getting through a section safely or at all. The thing is, you woun't need them all that often (hopefully) and since thier a little heavy and bulky, it will be tempting to ditch them. Then you'll get to a place where you need them...

Cookerhiker
11-14-2012, 12:57
Well, not specifically, but I'm certainly well aware of the torment bugs can bring. Thanks for the heads up. My shelter system includes the OR advanced bivy which has a very effective bug screen. I also will have DEET spray and plenty of level-headed-patience :) And besides, I much prefer swarms of flies over swarms of hikers :D

Some bugs just swarm, others swarm and bite. Black flies fall in the latter category. At worst, they get behind your ear or into the top of your forehead into the roots of your hair and bite, bite, bite until you squash them. At best, they're not a problem in rainy or damp weather, they go away before dusk and don't get active until 8-9 AM, and they're more of a nuisance when you stop than when you're hiking. And their season is short but as a NOBO in New England's late Spring, you're hiking with them.

Tundra
11-14-2012, 23:16
Rifle,

Not unless it's a crazy snowy winter. The Smokies can get bad, so you could have some available, but i wouldnt carry them. Snowshoes are heavy and chances are you'd end up just carrying them. Same for crampons. They're just not a neccessity on the AT. Unless mountaineering on the northern AT. Most peope that winter hike carry some sort of traction device. I've heard lots of people speak highly of Katoola micro-spikes. I haven't used them so I can't personally speak to their quality. I've used an assortment of ice cleat type things that stretch over your boot or shoe. I haven't found any to reccomend or brag about.

Mountain Mike
11-14-2012, 23:26
If you expect extended cold pre-cut your food (cheese, summer sausage, candy bars) into smaller chunks. They thaw faster inside a jacket pocket or in your mouth.

Rifle
11-15-2012, 00:41
If you expect extended cold pre-cut your food (cheese, summer sausage, candy bars) into smaller chunks. They thaw faster inside a jacket pocket or in your mouth.

Smart. I'll give that a try.

Rifle
11-15-2012, 00:51
Rifle,

Not unless it's a crazy snowy winter. The Smokies can get bad, so you could have some available, but i wouldnt carry them. Snowshoes are heavy and chances are you'd end up just carrying them. Same for crampons. They're just not a neccessity on the AT. Unless mountaineering on the northern AT. Most peope that winter hike carry some sort of traction device. I've heard lots of people speak highly of Katoola micro-spikes. I haven't used them so I can't personally speak to their quality. I've used an assortment of ice cleat type things that stretch over your boot or shoe. I haven't found any to reccomend or brag about.

Tundra,
Your advice couldn't have come at a better time. I was a few seconds away from buying a pair of snowshoes! Your advice lines up with several other posts I've read about snowshoes on the southern AT. A heavy luxury, but mostly impractical and certainly not neccessary. I will NOT be getting any snowshoes. I've also heard great things about the kahtoolas, but I know they're not geared for long treks and often break after only 100 miles or so. I think I'll carry a pair just for particularly hairy situations so as not to put too many miles on them. They're kinda heavy at 15 oz, but may come in really handy.

George
11-30-2012, 00:38

OK so now there is rifle and bandit planning a Jan 1 start - you just need pistol, shotgun and maybe desperado

but more on topic is a logical way to handle the potential need for crampons/ snowshoes:

hopefully you have some home support who could ship with a call, as the best strategy would be to have these items bought, tested, boxed and ready to ship - especially testing how they are going to coordinate with your footwear - shoes/boots that are otherwise fine can give you blisters in a hurry with these things strapped on

even shipping 2nd day air can be cheap compared to an extended motel stay waiting for trail conditions to change

ultimately a big snowfall can make the trail un-passable regardless of equipment - the trail is kept clear of brush and branches to a height of 7 feet or so - what happens when the snow load sags/breaks the branches and 3 feet of snow is on the ground? you can be left with a tread way only a few feet high, or none at all - so basically the trail goes away - now this can happen well into the season but the difference is in Jan it can take weeks to change, while in March it would seldom be more than days

the biggest difference to me in the winter is to have the willingness/ ability to go with plan B or plan C when A does not work out

Rifle
12-05-2012, 21:41
George, great advice. The topic of snowshoes in the southern Appalachians is a controversial one. You seem to be an advocate. Luckily I DO have some loved ones home ready and willing to ship me my goods :) Since I've been on the fence about snowshoes I've hesitated to buy a pair. Do you recommend any particular brand or model? I've been told to stay away from Atlas because of quality issues, but other than that I'm very ignorant about snowshoes. Any further advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers,
Rifle

jbwood5
12-06-2012, 09:19
I think Crampons, YakTrax or screws are worthwhile bringing that time of year. I can personally recall freezing rain that put sheets of black ice on the boulder field crossings and rock balds (even the top of Blood Mountain). It is virtually impossible to move without slipping and having a foot fly out. Think about going down Dragons Tooth with black ice on the rocks. That's a scary thought! In the South, January can be fine, but watch out for February and March. Every year is different and the weather can go all over the place in any of the first 4 months of the year. Freezing rain is common and really complicates things. I'd rather hike through a foot of snow then try to set up/ breakdown in freezing rain.

Hoofit
12-06-2012, 09:44
OK so now there is rifle and bandit planning a Jan 1 start - you just need pistol, shotgun and maybe desperado

but more on topic is a logical way to handle the potential need for crampons/ snowshoes:

hopefully you have some home support who could ship with a call, as the best strategy would be to have these items bought, tested, boxed and ready to ship - especially testing how they are going to coordinate with your footwear - shoes/boots that are otherwise fine can give you blisters in a hurry with these things strapped on

even shipping 2nd day air can be cheap compared to an extended motel stay waiting for trail conditions to change

ultimately a big snowfall can make the trail un-passable regardless of equipment - the trail is kept clear of brush and branches to a height of 7 feet or so - what happens when the snow load sags/breaks the branches and 3 feet of snow is on the ground? you can be left with a tread way only a few feet high, or none at all - so basically the trail goes away - now this can happen well into the season but the difference is in Jan it can take weeks to change, while in March it would seldom be more than days

the biggest difference to me in the winter is to have the willingness/ ability to go with plan B or plan C when A does not work out
Sound advice George - I was up in the Smokies in late March of 2010 and the park was basically closed to all hikers due to the heavy snowfall, which makes rescues more likely and very arduous.....the only exception was if the hiker was equipped with snowshoes...post holing through miles of snow with no clear view of the edge of the mountain is not just exhausting with a load on your back but downright dangerous...
i' m all for adventure but you've got to consider the safety of others who may well be called out to rescue your sorry ass, particularly when hiking alone...
Having said that, best of luck, a light snow year may see you making it just fine!!

George
12-08-2012, 01:14
George, great advice. The topic of snowshoes in the southern Appalachians is a controversial one. You seem to be an advocate. Luckily I DO have some loved ones home ready and willing to ship me my goods :) Since I've been on the fence about snowshoes I've hesitated to buy a pair. Do you recommend any particular brand or model? I've been told to stay away from Atlas because of quality issues, but other than that I'm very ignorant about snowshoes. Any further advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers,
Rifle

probably late now but northern lites are about the most practical - reason being you will be carrying the snowshoes 99.9% of the time - if you get tired of carrying the weight and ship them off ?? - so IMO the lightest are the most likely to be with you when needed

jesse
12-08-2012, 03:26
I hiked Dick's Creek to Neel Gap (35 miles) over a New Year's weekend a few years back. 3 days, 2 nights. Temps in the teens. In order to make the miles, we were hiking several hours in the dark. Saw 4 hikers. It was great for a weekend. I can not imagine doing it for weeks/months. Wait till March, Higher temps, more resources, longer days.

Don H
12-08-2012, 09:47

Don't forget Vermont during mud season, that should be fun!

Slo-go'en
12-08-2012, 14:41
Don't forget Vermont during mud season, that should be fun!

Not many Jan 1st starters even make it out of Georgia and even fewer past NC, so typically mud season in New England isn't a problem...

Don H
12-08-2012, 14:55
I was being optimistic ;)

Frog
12-08-2012, 15:44
My tip would be to read some of the trail journals of others who started on Jan first. Red Dane would be one.

Rifle
12-09-2012, 05:00
Not many Jan 1st starters even make it out of Georgia and even fewer past NC, so typically mud season in New England isn't a problem...

Thanks, but I intend to make mud season an issue. Quitting is not an option for me. Having some rough days, being miserable for a while, messing up, and learning from my mistakes IS an option. I've got great reasons for doing this hike, and great reasons for starting in January. I'll be a better, stronger, wiser, and more humble man when my hike is over. I could use some encouragement - I may be young and inexperienced, but I've no need for cynicism.

boarstone
12-09-2012, 07:41
ice grippers for the feet, multiuse, hike slow, don't work up a sweat..stay dry.

Malto
12-09-2012, 08:29
Thanks, but I intend to make mud season an issue. Quitting is not an option for me. Having some rough days, being miserable for a while, messing up, and learning from my mistakes IS an option. I've got great reasons for doing this hike, and great reasons for starting in January. I'll be a better, stronger, wiser, and more humble man when my hike is over. I could use some encouragement - I may be young and inexperienced, but I've no need for cynicism.

Rifle, don't take the comments about the difficulty of your proposal personally. While you may not like the "cynicism" there is general some truth in the comments being made. I'm certain that Mr Slows comment about most Jan 1st starter not hitting Vermont mud is 100% true. But since most hikers starting at any point dont finish, its not too surprising. Find the helpful information and ignore the rest.

If you take this journey on please keep an updated journal. The world of the possible gets expanded by people who dare to do what others says can't and shouldn't be done. Will you be the one to push that envelop? Who knows. There is current a SoBo hiker that left Maine On Oct 17th. I'm sure few would say that it is possible to SoBo starting that late. Do you physical and mentally have the strength to match your enthusiasm? We shall see.

Don H
12-09-2012, 11:13
Please understand that every year people with no long distance hiking experience at all come here and make outlandish claims. They think if they can hike 40 miles on a road in one day they can hike the same distance per day on the trail and they think they can do that day after day. The fact is that very few can do that. Starting Jan 1 has its own set of challenges, and some of them have been expressed here.

A few other points:
Services along the trail will be reduced or non-exsistant when you pass through. Most areas have a season they know when the majority of thru-hikers will be passing through. You will be ahead of that. Most places that cater to hikers will be closed for you. Many hostels, shuttlers, etc will not be available.

It will take longer for you to complete your hike. Just because starting early doesn't mean you'll be ending early. Red Dane mentioned earlier who started on 1/7/06 finished on 8/22/06. You could loose days or even weeks at a time due to winter weather.

Feedback is a gift. You have some experienced people here pointing out to you what the challenges are. Take the information and use it to your advantage.

Some questions:
What experience do you have hiking?
Will you be doing an online journal?

I hope you make it, Good Luck!

Slo-go'en
12-09-2012, 14:44
There is current a SoBo hiker that left Maine On Oct 17th. I'm sure few would say that it is possible to SoBo starting that late.

So far he and a few others who started sobo late have been darn lucky. For the most part winter hasn't shown up along the east coast this year, even up here in the Whites. Will that continue or will we suddenly have a short but intense winter Jan/Feb? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Rife, if you make it up to Gorham, NH and I'm not off hiking down south (which I plan to do April and May while it's mud season up here), I'll buy you a beer :)

Rifle
12-10-2012, 04:15
Slo-go'en, when I make it up to Gorham, I'll take you up on that beer. An ice cold guiness, please :)

Rifle
12-10-2012, 04:41
Please understand that every year people with no long distance hiking experience at all come here and make outlandish claims. They think if they can hike 40 miles on a road in one day they can hike the same distance per day on the trail and they think they can do that day after day. The fact is that very few can do that. Starting Jan 1 has its own set of challenges, and some of them have been expressed here.

A few other points:
Services along the trail will be reduced or non-exsistant when you pass through. Most areas have a season they know when the majority of thru-hikers will be passing through. You will be ahead of that. Most places that cater to hikers will be closed for you. Many hostels, shuttlers, etc will not be available.

It will take longer for you to complete your hike. Just because starting early doesn't mean you'll be ending early. Red Dane mentioned earlier who started on 1/7/06 finished on 8/22/06. You could loose days or even weeks at a time due to winter weather.

Feedback is a gift. You have some experienced people here pointing out to you what the challenges are. Take the information and use it to your advantage.

Some questions:
What experience do you have hiking?
Will you be doing an online journal?

I hope you make it, Good Luck!

Don H, thanks for the insight. I do appreciate the advice, and I realize my need for it. I am young, slightly cocky, probably naive, and possibly arrogant. NONETHELESS, I am also ballsy, tough, fit, determined, and motivated to make this happen. While I certainly have a LOT to learn, I do have a good bit of applicable experience.

I have gone on countless hikes, several up to 15 miles/day. I am in quite excellent shape - 6' tall and a trim, tone 175 lbs with good cardio (able to run 10 miles). I have alot of solo adventure experience, though nothing quite like the AT. I've spent about 2 years traveling internationally, staying in hostels, traveling by foot/bicycle, finding short term work, learning to be flexible and relax when things don't go my way. I'm very adaptable. I also grew up in Indiana/Chicago for 20 years, so I'm familiar with snow, ice, and cold. In fact, I'd prefer snow and freezing temps to sweltering heat any day.

My weakness unfortunately is a HUGE part of thru hiking: I don't have much experience with extended backpacking trips. While I have done a decent amount of tent camping and a large amount of hiking, I've rarely combined the two. Yes, I know, this officially makes me a rookie. I'm cool with that. That's why I started this thread. But I KNOW I'm capable. I also KNOW things won't go my way, I'll screw up, I'll want to quit, I'll have to wait out bad weather, have to adapt. But I AM capable. What better way to learn than to gather as much advice as possible, mentally prepare yourself, and then jump?

I have my gear. The past couple months of my life have been consumed with research, research, RESEARCH! I can't sleep. I stay up til 4-5am reading blogs and journals and researching gear. And then I get up and go to work so that I can finance this trip. I'm giving it all I've got. I've been camping outside every night for about a week and intend to continue doing so for the rest of the month, as well as going on a few weekend hikes to test my gear and my skills.

As to a blog/journal, yes, I'd love to. But I'm not sure of the best way. I've considered perhaps a video journal via youtube since I'll have my point n' shoot camera with me. I'm also aware of trailjournals.com. Do you have recommendations on how to journal/update my progress? Cheers.

Rifle
12-10-2012, 04:45
"Find the helpful information and ignore the rest."

Good advice. Any recommendations on how to keep a journal (websites, video vs. written, etc)?

Don H
12-10-2012, 06:37
Rifle, being determined and motivated is a major plus for you. They say that thru-hiking is 80% mental, and I agree.
Experience in backpacking is also good but I know people who had absolutely no previous experience that did fine on the trail.

There are a few ways to do an online journal. The most popular way is to sign up on trailjournals.com its free and pretty user friendly. Also there's postholer.com which some people like and some use Facebook. I used TJ and just took notes every day and entered the info when I got to towns and had access to a computer. Keeping an online journal is a good way to share your hike with your family and friends. You can check out my TJ, just search in the 2011 journals for "Chainsaw".

I see you list your location as Clemson, do you attend Clemson U?

soulrebel
12-10-2012, 09:09
Hiking can be fun that time of year when the weather is good, but otherwise it can really suck if a winter storm shows up. I don't like the lack of daylight hours, extra food, and generally extra cost and inconvenience of long trips in the winter. I'd head down to the Florida Trail and warmup there. Maybe hike down there for a few months and iron out some more details. If not that, I'd probably lift weights and stretch and eat really good food till the third week of march. Have fun no matter what you do...but the hiking can get quite lonesome later on if you leave this early...

Rifle
12-11-2012, 01:37

Nope, just live there :) I'll check out your journal.

RCBear
12-11-2012, 09:53

Nope, just live there :) I'll check out your journal.

I knew immediately of course that you did not attend Clemson University. Because you never would've called yourself Cocky if that was the case!! :) good luck out there and I also would be interested in following your journals.

Malto
12-11-2012, 09:59
So far he and a few others who started sobo late have been darn lucky. For the most part winter hasn't shown up along the east coast this year, even up here in the Whites. Will that continue or will we suddenly have a short but intense winter Jan/Feb? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Rife, if you make it up to Gorham, NH and I'm not off hiking down south (which I plan to do April and May while it's mud season up here), I'll buy you a beer :)

Whether or not it is luck or divine intervention the fact remains that what I'd factly improbable is also sometimes possible. And in the case of the oct 17th hiker, he will be at Springer before the end of the year, should hit Damascus today.

magic_game03
12-12-2012, 00:32
Jan 1 is deceptive. it could be shorts and t-shirt (photo 1). 18387

The weather usually doesn't get bad till about mid Jan when you hit the Smokies (photo 2). 18388

Just be ready to strap on a pair of snowshoes. About 600 miles of my 2005 Thru required them.

Rifle
12-12-2012, 02:57
Jan 1 is deceptive. it could be shorts and t-shirt (photo 1). 18387

The weather usually doesn't get bad till about mid Jan when you hit the Smokies (photo 2). 18388

Just be ready to strap on a pair of snowshoes. About 600 miles of my 2005 Thru required them.

magic_game03, i found your 2005 thru hike journal on trailjournals.com. I'll be including it in my research reading :) So you absolutely recommend snowshoes, huh? Interesting. I'd say about 90% of people I've asked have said they'd be unnecessary. What do you mean by 600 miles "required" them? They made the hike easier, or the trail would have been unpassable/dangerous without them?

Rifle
12-12-2012, 03:48
I knew immediately of course that you did not attend Clemson University. Because you never would've called yourself Cocky if that was the case!! :) good luck out there and I also would be interested in following your journals.

Haha, good point. I just registered with trailjournals.com today. You'll be seeing posts from me shortly!

Rifle
12-12-2012, 04:38

Ain't nothin special, but here's a good start: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=14325

BrianLe
12-12-2012, 14:52
"So you absolutely recommend snowshoes, huh? Interesting. I'd say about 90% of people I've asked have said they'd be unnecessary. What do you mean by 600 miles "required" them?"

I suspect it's a matter of there being early season, and then there's *early* season. Late Feb I wouldn't have wanted them, and my attitude at that point was that anything requiring snowshoes I'd rather walk around or flip. And when I was hiking everyone out was indeed walking around a part of the Smokies as snowshoes were needed to proceed (and no one I knew out there had 'em along).

So I would guess that starting Jan 1st you're either going to use snowshoes to proceed along there for a good bit or you'll flip and come back to do that bit later. Slow going in snowshoes, but certainly do-able if you can haul enough food.

magic_game03
12-12-2012, 16:29
Gadget makes a good point about the date and flip-flopping. I'd say the window is (south of NY) Nobo's leaving before Feb 1st will most likely face one or two snow storms and long stretches of 1'-2' of snow pack... But you don't know where that will be. If you keep your pace and make it to NY by March you will find large sections of snowpack that is impassable without snowshoes. In my '05 hike I made it to Dalton, Ma by mid March and got tired of snowshoeing so I headed over to the PCT. I'd say I did about 1100 miles (Damascus to Dalton) and about 600 of that I had to snowshoe. Southern AT is just a game of chance, you may or you may not need them. If you hit New England area before April with a good pace, you will need them. If you're looking for confirmation by other thru-hikers who have had to use snowshoes... you're gonna be looking for a long time, cause there are only a few. I only know of three; Snowman & Frosty '03 (Maine Sobo's in December) and Squeaky '05 (triple crown '05).

earlyriser26
12-12-2012, 16:50
Like others, don't try it unless you have already done some extended winter hikes. I love hiking in winter. I hate camping in winter. I hiked the smokies in early March one year and had 3 - 6 feet of snow. Nothing like setting up a tent on top of a snow drift. Some days we hiked till 9pm just to get to the day's destination. Enjoy.

Oslohiker
12-12-2012, 18:37
If you keep your pace and make it to NY by March you will find large sections of snowpack that is impassable without snowshoes.

Why not use skis?

http://www.asnes.com/bilder/bilder/nettbutikk/540187_main_raud_1.jpg

Slo-go'en
12-12-2012, 18:55
Why not use skis?

The AT is not suitable for sking.

Oslohiker
12-12-2012, 19:52
The AT is not suitable for sking.

If you have to use snowshoes, I can't see that you can't use skis. Skis should always be better choice than snowshoes for longer distances. Please explain. I am thinking one could carry the skis on the backpack when they are not in use (which is a normal technique). Of course, if there is not a lot of snow it could be hard on the skis. But, so what? I am think on New York in March rather than the beginning of the AT.

magic_game03
12-12-2012, 20:03
Skis: lots of ski tracks starting in PA. That's why you need snowshoes (or skis) to get through there. You can't imagine how difficult it is to walk on crusty snow that has ski tracks through them, awful! They will break your ankles. Besides PA, skis are difficult to use because the snow is never very deep. A lot of rocks protrude the snow and will tear up skis. plus the AT twist and turns through trees and boulders on a very erratic path that would be difficult to maneuver. Oslohiker, if you were in the Rockies, Cascades, or Sierra's then it would be very advantageous to use skis but the AT is in a very dense forest most of the time with out much snow. Also, you can actually wear trail runners with snowshoes, as far as I know you would still have to wear boots with skis which means a lot of extra weight. With snowshoes you can just take them off and keep going in your trail runners, in skis you would have to do a lot of footwear changes.

Oslohiker
12-12-2012, 21:14
Well, that is a very good answer.

And yes, you have to wear ski-boots, but they can be very light. So can the skis.

What you mean about that it twits and turns to much for skiing, I don't understand. If you are an avid skier it should be easy to maneuver. Despite it is a dense forest it is still a trail there, and that is the only thing you need, as long as there are some snow on the ground.

I am from the most ski crazy country in the world, and we know one or two things about skiing here. Skiing with little snow on the ground is one of them. Many have a "special" pair of skies that they use for that purpose (Loosely translated into English they are called "Stone skis", because they get messed up by hitting stones). The skies get more and more messed up every season. But most of those guys spend a lot of money on their sport anyway, and buy 2 to five new pairs of skies every season.

Also, if there is little snow on the ground (but still snowshoe/ski conditions) you get away with lighter equipment, because you don't sink through so much that you otherwise would. If there is a lot of snow and (and no tracks) you have to use wider and heavier skies (although they would not be as messed up because they would not hit rocks).

My point is anyway: Snowshoes are strenuous work, but skiing are not. If I had a four day section and in that section there were at least one section of minimum 2 miles continues snow, I would choose skies over snowshoes (despite having to carry them all those days).

Although we have winter for six months here, almost nobody choses snowshoes over skies. There are actually not very many good reasons for that. Although a few of us have startet with fatbiking (but that is of course illegal on the AT).

magic_game03
12-12-2012, 21:36
Oslohiker, don't take this the wrong way... it's just a question. Have you ever been on the AT? Just wondering. The AT is an interesting beast and I have a feeling that you have some terrific understanding of wilderness but it is more consistent of what you would find in the Rockies, Sierra's or Cascades. You would be right at home in Colorado, Wyoming, Nor Cal, or Oregon.

Hosaphone
12-12-2012, 23:02
Haha, good point. I just registered with trailjournals.com today. You'll be seeing posts from me shortly!

I haven't done a final weigh in yet, but my rough guess for everything I have is about 35lbs base weigh

:eek::eek:

Marta
12-13-2012, 00:54
Well, that is a very good answer.

And yes, you have to wear ski-boots, but they can be very light. So can the skis.

What you mean about that it twits and turns to much for skiing, I don't understand. If you are an avid skier it should be easy to maneuver. Despite it is a dense forest it is still a trail there, and that is the only thing you need, as long as there are some snow on the ground.

I am from the most ski crazy country in the world, and we know one or two things about skiing here. Skiing with little snow on the ground is one of them. Many have a "special" pair of skies that they use for that purpose (Loosely translated into English they are called "Stone skis", because they get messed up by hitting stones). The skies get more and more messed up every season. But most of those guys spend a lot of money on their sport anyway, and buy 2 to five new pairs of skies every season.

Also, if there is little snow on the ground (but still snowshoe/ski conditions) you get away with lighter equipment, because you don't sink through so much that you otherwise would. If there is a lot of snow and (and no tracks) you have to use wider and heavier skies (although they would not be as messed up because they would not hit rocks).

My point is anyway: Snowshoes are strenuous work, but skiing are not. If I had a four day section and in that section there were at least one section of minimum 2 miles continues snow, I would choose skies over snowshoes (despite having to carry them all those days).

Although we have winter for six months here, almost nobody choses snowshoes over skies. There are actually not very many good reasons for that. Although a few of us have startet with fatbiking (but that is of course illegal on the AT).

in general the AT is too rocky and steep, and doesn't have adequate snow cover for skiing. In fact, snow deep enough for snowshoes is fairly unusual in the southern states--Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia. Icy conditions are quite common. I found traction devices (hiking crampons) to be more useful than snowshoes.

Marta
12-13-2012, 00:59
http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/3277/tj3277%5F022007%5F171259%5F202536.jpg

Here's a picture of Blood Mountain in January--solid rock with a light skim of snow. The picture doesn't show how steep it is, but it's not really skiable. Easier just to walk.

Oslohiker
12-13-2012, 06:53
Oslohiker, don't take this the wrong way... it's just a question. Have you ever been on the AT? Just wondering. The AT is an interesting beast and I have a feeling that you have some terrific understanding of wilderness but it is more consistent of what you would find in the Rockies, Sierra's or Cascades. You would be right at home in Colorado, Wyoming, Nor Cal, or Oregon.

I have had a "look" at the AT in the summertime a few years ago. But this is a genuine question from me. I am not talking about skiing the whole AT, but if you hit snowy conditions further north, starting in January. From what I have read so far, I would never use skis in the south, but wait out for the snow to disappear (enough).

But when you are talking about that you have to use snowshoes, my preferred method (as for every Norwegian) are skis. You said yourself that you met ski tracks at places along the trail. It sounds very strange to that it is so much snow that you just can't just use your shoes and also can't ski it. I am really wondering about what the conditions look like where you "have to" use snowshoes, but can't ski.

So my experience with the AT is low, but my knowledge with skis and skiing is very high. And I am not sure that everybody on this forum knows about the kind of equipment you can get these days (first of all very light skis with steel edges.), and where you could ski. How much experience do you have with skis and skiing magic_game03? I am not sure that a person without the adequate skiing knowledge could answer this question correctly, although I appreciate all views. My understanding of Americans is that cross-country skiing are not a big sport/activity there, although you of course have some people that have good knowledge. My hope was that someone with both knowledge of the AT (further north) and great knowledge of skiing jumped in here and gave his/her assessment.

Oslohiker
12-13-2012, 07:02
http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/3277/tj3277%5F022007%5F171259%5F202536.jpg

Here's a picture of Blood Mountain in January--solid rock with a light skim of snow. The picture doesn't show how steep it is, but it's not really skiable. Easier just to walk.

Thank you for sharing the picture.

I agree. I would not ski that, but I would not snowshoe it either. And that is what I am getting at: what can you snowshoe and not ski? Do you have picture of that?

And again, I would not use ski in the south anyway, but do the wait out technique instead.

Oslohiker
12-13-2012, 07:14
in general the AT is too rocky and steep, and doesn't have adequate snow cover for skiing. In fact, snow deep enough for snowshoes is fairly unusual in the southern states--Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia. Icy conditions are quite common. I found traction devices (hiking crampons) to be more useful than snowshoes.

I am all along talking about the more northern states. The skiing thing came up when magic_game03 talked about using snowshoes in New York state.

Oslohiker
12-13-2012, 07:36
Norwegian skiing on little snow. (It is not rocky or steep there, but it shows how little snow it takes):

http://toolbox.n3sport.no/Downloads/63023/pics/Stemning_desember_2011.JPG

magic_game03
12-13-2012, 09:30
The picture you put up Oslohiker looks a lot like Pennsylvania in the snowy time of year. I would have loved to have used skis. Heck, almost that entire 280 mile section could have been skiable. I guess the best way to describe the problem with skis is logistics. Let me give you an example of what a typical day is like. I'd say I do an average of 25 miles a day. In that period of time I may have to strap on a pair of snowshoes 10 times throughout the day. Skis would require that for portions of that day I would have to go through the process of changing shoes to boots and strapping in and out the skis every time. When I'm not wearing the skis I'd have to carry both the boots and skis, though skis and boots have gotten very light a few pounds is a lot of wight for a thru hiker. I've seen what skiers can handle and I don't think it's too steep or twisty but there is never enough snow to cover all the rocks so your skis would get hung up and you would be constantly falling into the rocks.

Your picture looks like heaven for a cross-country skier. I'd say Imagine a boulder field of 3-5 foot boulders with only 2 feet of snow fall. then imagine 2000 miles of that. Then you got a good idea of the AT in winter. Kinda like Marta's picture above but with a lot more pointy features on the rocks. That being said, if you had good logistical sense and probably a support group you could definitely ski a couple hundred miles of the AT at various places.

Marta
12-13-2012, 10:27
http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=166521

This picture was taken in Maine in the summer. Large boulders that would require a huge amount of snow to be able to ski over.

Oslohiker
12-13-2012, 14:11
I'd say Imagine a boulder field of 3-5 foot boulders with only 2 feet of snow fall. then imagine 2000 miles of that.

That is certainly not the Appalachian trail. There are videos of the trail out there, and there are certainly not 2000 miles of boulders on that trail. To be honest, the Whites look much like a some mountains in Norway that I ski frequently. But still I get your point. The boulders are problematic.

When it comes to putting ski boots on and off throughout the day, it would come down to the amount of energy and time you use. When it comes to time, I have no problem with that snowshoe wins (but only slightly). But for the total energy use, I would suspect that skis win by a landslide. Even though you use energy on carrying the skis and boots, it is so much more strenuous to walk on snowshoes than on skis, I don't think you even could do a good comparison.

BrianLe
12-13-2012, 14:37
Hmm, I smell a new trend in late/early season long distance trips: develop light ski shoes that work well for "just walking". Develop complementary light yet tough backcountry skis designed to take a lot of rocky trail abuse and to be short (and light) enough to be comfortable strapped to a pack. Throw in a self-arrest pole or two and pack intelligently to keep weight low (no sled to pull) and voila ?

Even on western trails the experience can vary a lot; you can find situations where there are too many intermittent broken sections of no snow or rock that would require skis to be removed. Aggressive sun-cupping.
You can't always (and sometimes don't want to) follow the defined trail in snowy conditions, and if there's brush or low trees not completely under the snow it can be challenging. I think for this approach, the earlier in the season, the more practical it is. There's also bound to be a compromise between a shoe/ski setup that's light and the shoes work well for walking, and yet can offer at least a modicum of control on steep slopes or icy conditions and the like. Obviously experience and skill on the part of the hiker (skier) would be helpful there, but still.

But doing more mileage per day with less effort --- that's quite a siren song, is it not! :-) An interesting approach perhaps to doing the very long distance trails where you just can't avoid lots of snow if you want to thru-hike --- NCT or ADT come to mind.

I wonder if there are any backcountry ski boots/shoes already available that would be decent shoes to just walk in for extended distances??

Oslohiker
12-13-2012, 15:20
Well, in the military you don't use special ski boots. You strap the skis on the military boots. In most of NATO you have the much hated NATO-skis that you use. I've had my fair share on those skis. But I know that the Norwegian special command soldiers use (or at least tested) some lightweight skis.

In the old days there were no specialty boots, even in competition. My great grandfather are a double Norwegian champion i the Nordic combined (there was no world championship in those days) and they used "normal" winter shoes.

This is the closes you come these days. Maybe it is doable:

http://www.oslosportslager.no/uploads/bilder/nettbutikk/produkter2/3559-800.jpg

The Cleaner
12-13-2012, 20:28
There are several things I could add but I'll be brief.Your gear list.Seasoned winter campers/hikers will have a good idea of your chances of making it by what kind of gear you will start with.#2.Are you aware of the fact that if something does happen and you need rescue that Search&Rescue personal will have to risk their lives to save yours:eek:.How would you deal with the fact that by doing something like you are saying that a SAR person could lose his/her life.If a 911 call comes in somewhere,they may use a helicopter to aid in locating and or hoisting you off a snowy mountain.Flying a chopper in a mountainous area in winter is itself very dangerous.......

kayak karl
12-13-2012, 21:44
you mean to tell me anyone that hikes in Jan or Feb is risking the lives of SAR person ?????

The Cleaner
12-13-2012, 22:34
you mean to tell me anyone that hikes in Jan or Feb is risking the lives of SAR person ????? In a way yes.I'm talking about a rescue in bad weather.IMO even someone with years&many miles of experience could still fall and break a leg or something and need rescue.What about that hiker that just got air-lifted off of Tri-Corner Knob a few months back?In the last few years here on the AT at Spring Mtn shelter a hiker was bitten by a Copperhead.The local Rescue Squad had one member break a leg when a Gator ATV turned over and he then required help.A few years before that at a popular waterfall,just below the Big Firescald Relocation on the TN side,a hiker climbing around the falls fell.No way to get any ATV in there and this guy had to be carried 1.5 miles(he weighed about 225+lbs).So they send about 40 SARs in so that each one had to only carry the guy a few yards then let a rested one take over.Well an ambulance backed over a yellow jacket's nest and several SARs got multiple stings and one young female SAR broke an ankle.IMO the local RS overreacts and sends too many people.Big story in the local paper.I don't know or have statistics on how many rescues are done every year in the US,but with more people getting out there's bound to be more getting hurt.Whether it's a day hike or a thru hike your on,no one wants to get hurt but you know the saying____happens:eek:.With the exception of the freak early snow from hurricane Sandy it's been pretty mild down here so far this winter.It may be a mild winter with little snow,but you should know that anyone could get hypothermia in temps as warm as 50 degrees.A good rule is to expect the unexpected....that's my 2 cents worth..Happy Trails to ya.....

solace
12-13-2012, 23:44
A tough start date for sure.. but if your mind is set.. and, whats more.. YOUR HEART... then go for it. You already know that cold, isolation, frozen water sources, cold, harder hitch to town await you until the "hiker thaw".... (March 1st)
You will see the AT from a different perspective... that very few of us see that early. I go out in Vermont in JAN/FEB. Even there, its remotely quiet.. but the beauty & peace I find cannot be replaced... happy hiking... brrrr... Soalce

magic_game03
12-16-2012, 10:45
Agreed, Solace. I wonder if an audiologist could get a grant to study winter solitude. I often think about how different the winter quiet and summer quiet are in the mountains, especially when the snow is falling. On the other side of the spectrum I was at Partnership just a week after trail days, this year. I've never been to trail days so I wasn't thinking about it but the 30 or so hikers there seemed to still be living it up. It was like landing on the moon. Not a bad feeling, it's just alien to me.

Rifle
12-31-2012, 12:21
Hey, whiteblaze friends. I'm leaving tomorrow! I haven't had the chance recently to comment on many of the posts in this thread, but I assure you all that I've read over them multiple times and have taken heed of all the great advice. Thank you for the input, the encouragement, the warnings, and the stories. I'm so stoked! Feel free to follow my journal at www.trailjournals.com (http://www.trailjournals.com) (and search for rifle). Happy hiking!

- Rifle

RED-DOG
12-31-2012, 12:33
Bro pack plenty of warm clothes, and you do understand that winter hiking takes different types of food than summer hiking does( More Calories ), Good luck and happy hiking and go with GOD. RED-DOG

Tumbleweed1
12-31-2012, 13:57
Good luck out there Rifle. Be careful and have fun! It's going to be an epic adventure!

Hosaphone
12-31-2012, 14:16
Good luck, be safe, will be following your trail journal!

S'more
12-31-2012, 18:18
Good luck! I will follow your journal!

Praha4
12-31-2012, 18:21
what's the hurry? other than the temporary adrenaline rush of saying u started on New Years Day? after a week of below 35 degrees and rain, sleet, mud, and ice the thrill will be gone ... I'd much rather wait til March-April, the trail will still be there. Take the next couple months for some more training before hitting the AT.

Del Q
12-31-2012, 18:44
Trek used to start his hikes each / most years on January 1st.

Ran into him a few years ago by the Hudson river in late March, when I got home, people on WB who had just starting or had started a few weeks before were doing the annual "who will be 1st" thread. I promised Trek that I would not disclose anything so I didn't, was kind of funny.

They were in GA or NC and he was in CT averaging 25-30 miles per day

HikerMom58
12-31-2012, 19:07
I'll be following along... see ya in VA., Rifle. :)

Bazinga
01-01-2013, 00:53
Good luck, and stay safe. Knock down all those spider webs for the rest of us.

Sarcasm the elf
01-01-2013, 01:02
Since you ask, no, I am not starting Jan 1. Thanks for rubbing it in... :rolleyes:

Left Hand
01-01-2013, 12:49
Here's to you. Good luck and enjoy the hardship. Look forward to reading your journal.

Karma13
01-07-2013, 06:48
I see Rifle has updated his journal with the first few days of his hike. Looking good, so far!

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=397845

Left Hand
01-07-2013, 15:13
@Karma13 Sounds like he is rolling with the hike well despite the typical weather and getting lost already.

Keep up the good attitude, rifle!

Karma13
01-14-2013, 07:09
Rifle updated his journal with several days' worth of posts. He made it through Georgia. Sounds like he's having good weather, but he ran into some gear issues.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=398103

Squeaky 2
01-29-2013, 06:13
i just read through hellkat and oslo hikers snowshoe/ski debate. i would pay good money to see someone ski the mahoosacs/whites!!! and i am sure they would pay good money to be air lifted out with atleast 2 broken legs!!! i had about 4 foot of snow thanks to the noreaster that ripped through in '05. snow shoes all the way! plus factor in all the spruce/trees that are bent over the trail with the shear wieght of snow! mt. washington had 3 times its record october snowfall in just two weeks aswell, about 6ft, no chance of skiing here either as it was just solid ice!! too steep, too twisty, too rocky, too many trees!!!