PDA

View Full Version : knee pain

Josh Calhoun
11-12-2012, 09:29
how many of yall have experienced hikers knee on the trail? is this something that you generally work through and your body will adjust or did this end your hike.

i am having a light symptom but it goes away after a couple days.i felt great walking this past weekend . but i was dragging deer out of the woods sat and now the pain is back when i walk. debating if i should go ahead and go to the doctor next week and get it looked at. i am sure they will just give me pain meds though. i am also going to try light weight leg excercises.

Pedaling Fool
11-12-2012, 10:26
I think everyone feels knee pain at some point, except of course the immortals. Two things I would do, 1. stay far, far away from any drugs, there's tons of data showing they have negative side effects. 2. start working out, it's basically all you can do to keep the body healthy. Don't blame me, not my rules, just a fact of nature, with respect to our bodies. Of course nutrition is important, but I believe way too much emphasis is given in this area, probably because people simply want an "easy fix" to what ails them, but the simple fact is the body needs to be made strong through exercise, food just helps to rebuild and fuel the body, however, just like a high performance engine, good fuel only goes so far.

Also doing just one activity, such as hiking wears the body down, because it only works it in one way, strenghtening some parts really well, but other parts not so well.

Here's some ideas for other activities, especially weightlifting http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?89037-Another-case-against-the-yo-yo-approach-to-health&highlight=

Spirit Bear
11-12-2012, 10:32
Hike with as a pack weight as light as possible. The weight on your back is what causes the most wear and tear on your knees. If you're packing north of 30lbs with food and water and your not in top physical shape, most of us are not. Then I would suggest only hiking 6 mile days to start with. This will not wear out your knees on the decents. If you're packing 20-30 lbs and are not in tip top shape I would still only do 6-8 mile days to start with. Once your knee starts to give it makes for a very difficult hike, it's even harder to enjoy yourself out there when your knees are bothering you. doing less miles and staying healthy is much more fun.

Hike your own hike, it's easy to have lofty goals when planning your daily distances. If you're a newb, I would strongly reccomend 3-4 mile days your first 2 or 3 days on the trail, this will ensure that you're going to have a great time out there, you will have more time to play with your new gear and not kill yourself in doing so.

A 10 mile weekend hike would be a great start if you get out on friday afternoon if you're a newb.

ATMountainTime
11-12-2012, 11:03
I have had knee problems since a ski injury in college. I have found that Yoga is a GREAT way to condition my knee's and ankles.....of course the view aint bad either :)

Josh Calhoun
11-12-2012, 11:31
i think what i did was burn my knees out quickly. doing 20 mile hikes in the nantahala area tore them down.

Pedaling Fool
11-12-2012, 11:54
i think what i did was burn my knees out quickly. doing 20 mile hikes in the nantahala area tore them down.I'm sure that's true, but it reminds me of when I was your age and tore my knees up on a cycling trip, the first 800 miles was on flat land (up the east coast) and I was feeling it, would of been good to stop then, since that was my first major trip and I hadn't done any cycling to that level to really prepare me. But then we started on the return trip through the mountains, went over 300 miles in very tough stuff and then the rest of the trip was not mountainous, but very hilly. I had very sore knees at the end of the trip and my right knee never healed.

If I could go back and do it again I'd prepare myself better and probably would have done a shorter trip with not so many mountains until I built my knees up. But I'm stuck with this bum knee, but luckily I found a way to recuperate it somewhat. My way is to do various exercises, but my base would be weightlifting, because you can work your body in so many ways, unlike running/cycling/hiking, there's not much in the way of changing how you do it.

Today, despite my bum right knee, I'm very active and even run with it and no pain and no medication, no surgery. I think weightlifting is key to building my knee back up, but also not spending too much time doing one activity. Of coures what constitutes "too much time" is relative, all I mean by that is that I don't limit myself to one activity, that's not to say I only spend a very short amount of time doing one activity. I can hike all year and not feel too much pain.

FarmerChef
11-12-2012, 12:11
I would estimate that the majority of knee injuries on the trail are due to overuse/muscle imbalance and not due to trauma (hitting a rock with your knee for instance). During my first few hikes I encountered horrible knee pain that turned out to be IT Band Syndrome. My stabilizer muscles just weren't up to the demands I was putting on them doing big, big miles right out of the gate. As a result, my IT band slipped out of it's "notch" and up against nice hard bone and cartilage - ouch! :eek:

In addition to the weightlifting that JG recommends, I recommend adding in training hikes of a shorter duration, perhaps first without your pack and then gradually building your weight. Alternatively, you can start with full weight and do fewer miles. Either way, your body needs to build the many smaller muscles that support the larger ones and flat roads, treadmills and sidewalks just won't cut it.

One last thing is to also check your diet. While food does provide fuel and materials for maintenance and reconstruction, the right foods are very important to allowing the body to maintain proper amounts of inflammation following injury. The wrong kinds of foods can either increase or decrease inflammation beyond our body's "healthy" injury response. A good article (http://philmaffetone.com/health.cfm) (my unqualified opinion) on this topic can be found here courtesy of Dr. Phil Maffetone. Check out the article on "Hidden Inflamation" near the bottom.

nitegaunt
11-12-2012, 12:32
I have had the problem before, as well. I did a 40 mile weekend hike that made my knee hurt really bad. It was the common overuse injury that we all are familiar with but it hurt for so long I thought I had really messed something up. I learned some yoga type stretches for the affected muscle and just incorporated them into my stretch routine. Since then I have done tons of hiking and it hasn't happened again. I think a lot of downhill when you aren't ready for it will cause that problem. I would also suggest getting your pack weight down as much as possible. But more importantly pay attention to your body when you are hiking and try and take breaks and not push super miles in one day.

Josh Calhoun
11-12-2012, 12:46
this makes me feel a little better. i know i over used them to early. down hill is where most of the pain is. uphill i am perfectly fine. it just has me worried since i am starting my thru hike in 96 days. i thanks you for all of your responses.

snifur
11-12-2012, 13:37
it sounds like iliotibial band friction syndrome. do a search on IT Band stretches and you will find nearly immediate relief. you are not conditioned for hiking and you need to stretch and condition the IT Band and surrounding muscles. Seriously do a search for the stretches. It happens to me on the occasion and the stretches always bring relief.

RED-DOG
11-12-2012, 15:33
Knee pain is common to Thru-Hikers when it happens wrap it, and take it easy for couple of days after a while you will get used to being in pain, every day something new hurts, you will figure out how to deal with it. but don't start your thru-hike with a knee injury.

Blissful
11-12-2012, 15:39
For knees -

Before a hike do knee bends with a pack on your back. Strengthen the joints. Do stretches for your hamstrings and quads. Knee pain often results from these muscle groups that are too tight. Learn the stretch too for ITB (illiotibial band syndrome)
Consider glucosomine, chondroitin, msm supplements
Eat adequate protein the trail. A balanced diet is best
Use hiking poles
Make sure you are wearing adequate footwear and insoles
Watch your pack weight
Watch your daily mileage. Forget keeping up with others. Take the hike at your pace, even if that means a 6 mile day. If other hikers run past you down the hill, let 'em.
If you have done bicycling and switch to hiking, it will take time for your muscles to adapt. Give them that consideration.
For pain that persists, I found the cho pat duo knee brace worked well

fishing
11-12-2012, 16:28
Poles definitely made a big difference for me.

burger
11-12-2012, 16:49
It sounds like the OP has runners knee (which is also very common in hikers). Basically, you get pain because your kneecap is getting pulled out of the groove that it's supposed to slide along when you bend your knee. The underside rubs against your femur, causing pain.

ITBS can also cause knee pain, but it's usually on the outside of your knee. (Check out this site (http://saveyourself.ca/articles/diagnose-runners-knee.php) for differences between the two knee problems).

The big fix for runner's knee is to strengthen the heck out of your quadriceps--they are the muscles that keep your kneecap in place. Also, work on flexibility in your calves and hamstrings. Lots of good exercises and stretches here: http://mydoctor.kaiserpermanente.org/ncal/Images/Patellofemoral%20Pain%20Syndrome_tcm28-180773.pdf

Pedaling Fool
11-12-2012, 17:13
Single-leg squats will get you ready for them downhills.

snifur
11-12-2012, 18:21
john g, not everyone is a freak of nature like yourself (and I). for the common person to attempt a single leg squat would result in a blown knee or torn bum. LOL. most people can not do a proper squat with a pack on, with both legs. i agree that a lack of fitness is the main cause for most peoples aches and pains. i stay fit and work out and do not encounter the issues like i used. stronger and more fit today than ever before.

Dr. Professor
11-12-2012, 18:52
I cannot stress enough how important poles are if you get knee pain while hiking. I literally approach downhills like I'm skiing. The s-curves effectively slow your momentum and decrease the slope by acting as mini switch backs. After a few days of this, and particularly as your load lightens up, your pain should improve. That's what works for me anyway.

For me: poles and skiing technique = no pain. Otherwise, can't hike.

Pedaling Fool
11-13-2012, 10:38
john g, not everyone is a freak of nature like yourself (and I). for the common person to attempt a single leg squat would result in a blown knee or torn bum. LOL. most people can not do a proper squat with a pack on, with both legs. i agree that a lack of fitness is the main cause for most peoples aches and pains. i stay fit and work out and do not encounter the issues like i used. stronger and more fit today than ever before.When I was a younger man I had a silly wishful thought that I may be a freak of nature, but I've seen freaks of nature and now I know: I am NOT a freak of nature -- wish I was, but I'm just a normal joe.

I couldn't do a proper single-leg squat when I first attempted (with no weight other than my body weight), I had to use my hands to lessen my body weight.

I also don't workout to do amazing physical feats, such as breaking records, I just don't care. My whole motivation is to prevent nature from turning me into a feeble old man needing assistance.

I'm goin' to be like Lew: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUyMYHG_Vcg

Tinker
11-13-2012, 10:48
From John Gault "not spending too much time doing one activity".

Balance is one of those things that is elusive in life. Keeping muscles in balance through strength training is very beneficial.

I've just come overcome a knee problem that I was sure would require surgery. I hobbled around for over 4 months before seeing my doctor who prescribed physical therapy. With one month of strength training I seem to be good as new. Time will tell.

Prime Time
11-13-2012, 13:09
Knee pain is something I have not had in many years and I think it's because in addition to hiking year round in the mountains, I do a lot of cycling, spinning, CC skiing, and other cross training that strengthens the quads and leg muscles in general. In the winter I do weight training twice a week that includes my lower body. At my age I just can't afford to let things slip. It's too hard to get it back.

I also think knee pain can be caused by poor shoe fit. Blisters develop or you begin to compensate for the foot issues with an unnatural stride or limp.

Lastly, remember if your knees truly hurt, vs just having sore muscles, STOP. You won't walk off sharp pain, you'll just make it worse. Rest, stretch, and try to figure out what's wrong and correct it.

Sherpa Master
11-13-2012, 16:47
Check your feet and shoe insoles. I over pronate due to low arches. This has led to degenerative arthritis in both knees. If I don't wear good arch supports then my knees hurt and bad. I also use a set of trekking poles that I won't leave home without. Makes a huge difference especially on downhills. Also make sure to stretch after a short warm up walk. Last but not least make sure to strengthen your knees(legs) and hips. Yes hip strength stabilizes the knee from less lateral movement and makes a big difference. I learned this from a therapist after I blew out my medial miniscus. It has made a world of difference. I did 53 miles in georhia on the AT within 6 months of the tear using this information.