PDA

View Full Version : Dick Proenneke "Alone in the Wilderness" (Not AT Related)

Spirit Bear
11-12-2012, 10:47
I just watched this guy's documentary "Alone in the wilderness" and was just blown away. This man retired at age 63 in 1968, went up to twin lakes alaska and built a cabin just with his axe and other tools he packed via canoe. His initial goal was to live there a year, he ended up living there 30 years. Never was sick and moved back to civilization in 1998 and eventually died in 2003 at age 86 I belive. Do the math to, Im to lazy to.

anyway here is a 9 minute clip of that documentary. This guy is very inspirational, he has the same mental toughness that I think it takes to walk 2200 miles along the appalachian mountains for 4-6 months of your life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss

Mr. Clean
11-12-2012, 10:49
That guy sure was awesome. His wood carving skills were sick.

Spirit Bear
11-12-2012, 10:50
I think he retired at 51, when he was filming much of the footage. Either way the guy is inspiring to some.

ATMountainTime
11-12-2012, 10:58
It was on a TV at a outfitter in Dahlonega Ga, i didn't leave the store untill the movie was over. :)

very cool movie.

Hikemor
11-12-2012, 11:09
"Alone in the Wilderness" is a wonderful film. PBS sometimes trots it out for their fund raising drives. Proenneke also authored "One Man's Wilderness", essentially a journal of his first year at Twin Lakes and on which AITW is based. OMW and Manning's "Backpacking: One Step at a Time" were inspirational readings for me as a kid in the '70s.

T-Rx
11-12-2012, 11:14
That is where I first saw it was on PBS during one of their fundraising efforts. It is a great film and what awesome skills he had! I still enjoy watching parts of it again from time to time.

Sailing_Faith
11-12-2012, 11:16
Wow what a great story thanks for posting this.

Spirit Bear
11-12-2012, 11:23
"Alone in the Wilderness" is a wonderful film. PBS sometimes trots it out for their fund raising drives. Proenneke also authored "One Man's Wilderness", essentially a journal of his first year at Twin Lakes and on which AITW is based. OMW and Manning's "Backpacking: One Step at a Time" were inspirational readings for me as a kid in the '70s.

Very cool about the book, I had no idea. Going to pick this one up for winter reading.

Mr. Clean
11-12-2012, 12:20
I bought the package deal, book and dvd, and it was well worth it.

Don H
11-12-2012, 16:49
The first and only time I've seen "Alone in the Wilderness" was when I was doing my thru and staying at Maria McCabe's in CT. I thought it was pretty cool how he made a lot of his own things. We all thoroughly enjoyed it.

wornoutboots
11-12-2012, 17:42
It really is an Awesome Story!! I've read the book & I watch the movie several times a year!! What an inspiration!!

slow mind
11-12-2012, 21:05
Read Away.....

http://www.nps.gov/history/history/online_books/lacl/proenneke.pdf

dink
11-12-2012, 21:22
I have watched the movie a few times on public TV and look forward to it every time I know it is coming on again...he sure knew how to really live, not just survive!!

turtle fast
11-13-2012, 04:16
PBS had it on not too long ago where I live, it is truly inspiring to see what with a little ingenuity and action what you can do. The lost art of self reliance from building your own home from local materials to obtaining your own food is a skill that many today would benefit from. It helps develop dignity and pride in ones self that a government handout could never touch.

Scout620
11-13-2012, 05:10
If you liked watching the documentary, I recommend reading the book.
I first read it about 10 yrs ago and have given it as a gift to many of my friends over the years.

http://www.amazon.com/One-Mans-Wilderness-Alaskan-Odyssey/dp/0882405136

DaSchwartz
11-16-2012, 18:40
it's a great story. However, Proenneke got really screwed in the royalties for the book and he was upset that the first book, the author's heavily edited his own writings. The 2nd book, which is free online, makes a huge attempt to keep the diary just as he written them with minor changes. And once Proenneke's story became public knowledge, he rarely had time alone as he was always getting visitors. But an amazing story on how he built that cabin using simple tools, I can read that over and over and over.

JAK
11-16-2012, 18:44
I really enjoyed his narrative in the film. Man had style.

trapper
11-16-2012, 21:12
I bought the package deal, book and dvd, and it was well worth it.hey....can i borrow that? lol

Spirit Bear
11-17-2012, 01:07
It really is an Awesome Story!! I've read the book & I watch the movie several times a year!! What an inspiration!!

Thanks a million Slow mind. Im going to print this out and enjoy reading it over thanksgiving.