PDA

View Full Version : Do you use Superfeet?

SavageLlama
05-18-2005, 22:39
Do you use Superfeet?

I tried some out on a section hike and they killed my feet. Just wondering if any Whiteblazers use them.

Rain Man
05-18-2005, 22:52
I'm interested in this topic. Just noticed the insoles to my Lowa Renegades are beginning to wear out in the heel. I'd love suggestions on good replacement insoles!

Rain:sunMan

neo
05-18-2005, 23:04
i bought a pair last year,only way i can tell if they work is when i go do a 250 plus mile hike,30.00 bucks pretty pricey i hope they will work:cool: neo

Ewker
05-18-2005, 23:56
Do you use Superfeet?

I tried some out on a section hike and they killed my feet. Just wondering if any Whiteblazers use them.
I got some custom insoles by Superfeet at Trail Days. You are suppose to break them in by wearing them a few hours each day. So far it isn't to bad but I can tell I am wearing them.

fiddlehead
05-19-2005, 00:06
I had problems with my arches after 3,500 miles into our "triple crown attempt in one year" 2002. I ended up buying superfeet and they solved the problem. they are wicked expensive for a piece of plastic. I believe that you could use the drug store Dr Scholls inserts with perhaps the same result. I also believe that if you are going to add inserts to your shoes, you really need to have shoes that are bigger than your regular size. You need room in your shoes. If you add inserts and your feet feel cramped, chances are they're going to get sore. I like to buy my hiking/ running shoes 2 full sizes bigger than my regular shoes. I have worn out those superfeet and they are full of holes but i still use them anyway in my old running shoes. good luck, fh

Slimer
05-19-2005, 01:03
I bought a pair in Hot Springs and then promptly tossed them into the trash at Kincora. They are, without a doubt, the worst things I have ever had on my feet. The "shoe guy" at the outfitter was supposedly "certified" in fitting these evil things and I believe he was certified, but nonetheless, they completely wrecked my feet for a good while. Some people swear by them, I just swore AT them!

orangebug
05-19-2005, 06:13
Bought both the off the shelf variety and a set of custom made ones at TD a few years back. They did need some breaking in. They do support my feet better. They have held up pretty well after shoes/boots have been replaced.

orangebug
05-19-2005, 06:14
I forgot to add that I am not certain that there is a real benefit between the custom and off-the-shelf Smartfeet.

SGT Rock
05-19-2005, 07:35
Things I have learned over the years dealing with having wierd feet:

1. Not all feet need the same kind of support or cushioning. There are great articles on the three basic foot types out there that everyone should read and follow rather than just picking by brand and style.

2. There is no perfect shoe for everyone. What may last someone for 2,000 miles might put another into 6 months of recovery after 200 miles. I think superfeet fall into this same idea.

3. Most shoe experts aren't.

4. While a lot of people can get a boot and insole combinations to work for their feet, there will be some that should honestly look at running shoes that are built for their foot type and stick with that. Boots and even trail runners often don't work for people that are on the extreme end of needing cushion soles.

I have some super feet and I am not sold on the idea yet. The outfitter, to his credit, told me not to try and walk on them more than an hour for the first few days until they were broken in right - and he was correct on that. The first day they killed my feet and I wasn't even walking - I was just driving to MS in them. I now have about 23 trail miles on them and lots of in-town mileage on them and I have yet to see the benifit.

Footslogger
05-19-2005, 08:25
Wouldn't hike withouth them. They stabilize the heel which leads to a firm stride.

'Slogger
AT 2003

RockyTrail
05-19-2005, 09:41
I've tried squishy inserts, Dr Scholls inserts, and several others and always came back to Superfeet. For some reason they give the arch support I need. I use them in my Zamberlan boots but not in trail runner shoes. My son uses them in his Merrills. But like a previous poster said, this is a very personal issue and what holds true for one will almost assuredly be different for others.

Usually most boot/shoe makers install a cheap, worthless, almost flat insert in the factory; I guess they figure the user will throw it away and get a real insert (they are correct).

yogi clyde
05-19-2005, 09:48
Over 750 miles in my custom superfeet.
Althought I miss the padding up front, 1 blister in all those miles, plus they seem to help correct my stride. I usually wear out the outside heal of my boots and shoes.

My boot-fitter suggested a larger size then I normally wear, and he was right.

I would try the regular vs the custom made ones next time.

icemanat95
05-19-2005, 09:48
I have "Sore Dawgs" insoles and they are great. Lots of good arch support, fairly low profile, etc. Not much in the way of cushioning, but still an improvement over the standard insoles.

Footslogger
05-19-2005, 09:53
Over 750 miles in my custom superfeet.
Althought I miss the padding up front, 1 blister in all those miles, plus they seem to help correct my stride. I usually wear out the outside heal of my boots and shoes.

My boot-fitter suggested a larger size then I normally wear, and he was right.

I would try the regular vs the custom made ones next time.==============================
Sounds like you have a knowledgeable boot fitter. I fitted hikers in footwear for years and went through the "Superfeet" program. Was trained to make the custom footbeds but suggested them sparingly. They are designed for hikers with significant foot problems and differences from one foot to the other. Also ...a common misconception is that you should get the Superfeet size that comes closest to the length of your foot and then trim from there. In fact, you should always get the size that fits your heel width best and then start the trimming.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Peak2Peak
05-19-2005, 17:49
Used them on section hike. Quite comfortable. Key is breaking in before AT. Otherwise, your feet will be sore while arches adjust to new support alignment.

Peaks
05-19-2005, 19:06
My story:

After I walked from Harpers Ferry to Katahdin, my feet were so tender. I didn't know if my feet would ever feel right again. Over the winter, I bought Superfeet. I used them to walk from Springer to Harpers Ferry. Feet felt great. Within days of getting off the trail, I was back to running road races (and doing quite well). So, I'm sold on superfeet.

Having said that, superfeet are not for everyone. And make sure superfeet are fitted to your feet. Don't just buy the one that is appopriate for your shoe size.

SavageLlama
05-19-2005, 21:34
Interesting feedback. Sounds like a mixed bag and that it's different for everyone. I think I may be going back to the standard insoles that come with my trail shoes.

max patch
05-20-2005, 08:03
Started wearing them a couple years ago based on advice of MD when I had Plantar Fascisus (sp?). Use them when hiking and running.

yogi clyde
05-20-2005, 16:44
==============================
Sounds like you have a knowledgeable boot fitter.

Yeah, although he is more of a runner.

Frank was at Trail Days last year, with Phil Oren.
Interesting character, he ran across the country back in the late 70's.
He was running 50 or so miles a day.

Only issue is he recommends the custom ones for everyone, wonder if it is purely driven by the profit motive.

Footslogger
05-20-2005, 17:24
Only issue is he recommends the custom ones for everyone, wonder if it is purely driven by the profit motive.===========================================
Well ...the material used in the custom footbed is significantly different from that of the green "trim-to-fit" style but again, the main reason to go the custom route is if you have a serious pronation/supination issue or big difference from foot to foot. The heat molding process causes the footbed to correct for those differences and stabilize the foot during your stride.

If money isn't an issue you can't go wrong with the custom version but it's overkill in many instances, at least in my experience.

'Slogger

NICKTHEGREEK
05-20-2005, 17:46
I use replacement inners called integrafit. They were only avilable in full sizes so they worked in one pair of boots I have, but didn't try them in a pair a half size larger to compare. I liked them, felt some extra cusion immediately, and have used them for about 6 months virtually daily.

TOW
05-21-2005, 01:27
i wouldn't have it any other way. got a pair in my boots now....

hambone
05-21-2005, 11:31
I have relatively flat feet and tend to walk on the outsides of my feet. This makes for some discomfort after a few hours. I use Vasque Sundowners (free with my job) and found the "wet toast" insoles provided are useless. I have been using the green superfeet for years. They are a bit on the expensive side, but they stand up to hard use.

I usually wait until they are on sale at EMS or Campmor and buy a few pair at once.

I have not really tried other brands since the Superfeet do the job.

With the uneven wear on my soles from walking on the outsides of my feet, I get my boots resoled after two years.

Krewzer
05-22-2005, 08:20
I use them and I like them. I agree they're pretty expensive. I have also used and like the ones made by Spenco. They don't last as long but they're a lot less expensive and do a pretty good job of cushioning.
That said, I think Surefeet is better.

flyfisher
05-22-2005, 13:03
I walked 170 miles in the blue superfeet inside Vasque Sundowners. They rub me wrong at the inside edge of my heel. I can't use them.

Skyline
08-18-2005, 09:58
I've been using Superfeet for about seven years now--over 5,000 trail miles and a ton more town miles since going to Superfeet. Wouldn't hike without them.

I've met thru-hikers who love 'em, and a few who hate 'em. They DO require a break-in period where you gradually increase the amount of time you wear them each day--starting at only an hour per day. If a thru-hiker got some Superfeet at a town stop and then immediately proceeded to backpack through mountains carrying weight, all day/every day, then hell yes they're going to have problems with Superfeet.

Three things IMHO: (1) The custom-melded Superfeet, if done by someone with the skills, are better than off-the-shelf. (2) The insoles that come with most boots out of the box are worth about what they cost the shoe manufacturer--maybe 25 cents. (3) The squishy "gel" inserts like Dr. Scholl's may be comfy for walking around in street shoes, but don't give the level or type of support a backpacker needs while wearing boots and carrying weight through mountains.

trippclark
08-18-2005, 10:43
I purchased the green off-the-shelf Superfeet insoles probably about a year and a half ago. They indeed took some getting used to and were quite uncomfortable for probably 2 weeks. Now I wear them nearly every day -- in casual shoes (Rockports) day to day and trail runners or hiking boots when camping and hiking. They are quite rigid and it would appear that they would be far more resistant to breaking down and going flat compared to cheaper flimsy insoles. I'm curious though, how often should they be replaced? At $30 a pop, I am not enthused about buying them too often, but my pair has a lot of miles by now (unfortunately not a lot of trail miles, but that is just a reflection of the lack of hiking opportunities I have had lately). How do you know when it is time to retire one pair and buy another??

Footslogger
08-18-2005, 10:55
Here's the reference on Superfeet replacement from their website. Even though it says "daily wear" I'm not convinced that applies to wearing them every day inside of hiking boots on rugged trail.

Anyway ...here's what Superfeet says:

Q. How long will the Superfeet insoles last with everyday wear?

A. For 80% of consumers, the insoles will last approximately 12 months depending on body weight, type of shoe and the environment they are used in (i.e. walking, running, work and sports). Because everyone is different, we can not indicate how many miles it will take to wear a pair out. We recommend replacing your insoles every 12 months or when you purchase new shoes.

'Slogger

The Solemates
08-18-2005, 11:10
gotta take a lone wolf stand on this one :D

i know they help a lot of people, but in my opinion superfeet are right up there with trekking poles... (and Im an orthopedic engineer)

Sly
08-18-2005, 18:05
Superfeet=expensive, hard, bad. Spenco's=cheaper, soft, good!

jackiebolen
08-18-2005, 19:00
My Superfeet lasted 1500 miles or so and then my feet started to hurt. Not sure if it was my shoes wearing out of the Superfeet but I got a new pair of both. Superfeet are where it's at.

Scrunchy
08-18-2005, 20:21
Had planter fasciitis and achilles tendonitis last year. Overtrained :datz ! Got custom made Superfeet. Wouldn't have made it to the top of Mt. Ranier last year without them. Incredible how much they helped. Never hike without them now!!!!!!!!! They made all the difference in the world.

Footslogger
08-18-2005, 20:32
I used to do boot fitting for an outfitter and was trained to make the custom Superfeet (in addition to explaining and selling the off the shelf trim-to-fits). Once I understood what the difference in footbeds was I was able to appreciate the Superfeet much more. The way I like to think of it is that boots/shoes are manufactured for the average foot, or for the masses depending on how you look at it. What Superfeet do is allow you to "tweak" your footwear to the individual characteristics of your feet.

I've had Superfeet in my hiking boots/shoes for over 6 years now. Are they everything they're cracked up to be ?? ...not sure. But one thing for certain is that I hike now with much less foot fatigue than ever before and zero blisters. They may not be for everyone but if you're having some problems getting an off the shelf boot/shoe to fit I think you owe it to yourself to give them a shot.

When something works for me I tend to stick with it. I doubt that I'll be dumping my Superfeet any time soon.

'Slogger

Skyline
08-18-2005, 21:49
Here's the reference on Superfeet replacement from their website. Even though it says "daily wear" I'm not convinced that applies to wearing them every day inside of hiking boots on rugged trail.

Anyway ...here's what Superfeet says:

Q. How long will the Superfeet insoles last with everyday wear?

A. For 80% of consumers, the insoles will last approximately 12 months depending on body weight, type of shoe and the environment they are used in (i.e. walking, running, work and sports). Because everyone is different, we can not indicate how many miles it will take to wear a pair out. We recommend replacing your insoles every 12 months or when you purchase new shoes.

'Slogger

I get about 1,000 trail-miles (and LOTS of town-miles) out of a pair of Lowa Trekkers. A pair of Superfeet insoles last me through two pairs of boots.

YMMV.

Marlton
01-13-2006, 14:36
For me Superfeet are pretty uncomfortable. I've been wearing shockblockers medical insoles... very comfortable insoles. My husband found them online a year ago... both of us are wearing them.

www.shockblockers.com

Squeaky 2
01-13-2006, 15:19
i wont hike with out them. jeff at mro in damascus gave me a pair in 03 and i havent looked back. i used them for 6,000 miles this year and swithed back to ordinary insoles. my feet fell to pieces in no time! i couldnt get a new pair fast enough! and finished the rest of the trail with them. with out doubt i will use them on this years trip. they are perfect for me but maybe not for others, but do try them. booooo to the price for a piece of plastic, do they have to be that expensive:bse

Mouse
01-13-2006, 16:07
I got a set in Damascus and promptly had leg trouble. I literally limped through the Greyson Highlands until I guessed the possible cause. Fortunately I had kept my old Spenco insoles. After the switch it was like having brand new legs! I went and did one of my highest mileage days of my hike and went on to reach Katahdin.

The Superfeet went in the next trash drop. :mad:

Earl Grey
09-07-2007, 23:55
How many miles do Superfeet last? I got 1000 miles on mine and im starting off with new shoes. I put them in the new shoes and they feel alright but thats just walking around the house.

hopefulhiker
09-07-2007, 23:59
I used a pair for 1600 miles so far... They are the "casual" blue ones.

mudhead
09-08-2007, 05:08
Will the custom jobs form to fit wide feet/ high arches?

Long trip to get them made, but might be worth it...

superman
09-08-2007, 07:00
Do you use Superfeet?

I had the same experience you did.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-08-2007, 07:17
Let me qualify this entry by saying I have a major gait disorder (http://www.dartmouth.edu/%7Eanatomy/hip/hip%20clin%20correl/corr6.html) due to having a paralyzed quad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vastus_lateralis_muscle) in my right leg - so I'm not your average hiker.

Superfeet have helped me immensely by helping maintain my foot in the proper position to support my ankle, knee and hip as I walk. Without such support, the joints tired easily and the foot gets very sore and tired within a few miles of walking on uneven terrain - even when I use my off-set cane.

I've found that a supportive footbed is an absolute must for walking while bearing weight - as in backpacking or carrying groceries or a great-grandchild. I even have an old pair in my house shoes! I've tried Shockblockers - very effective at reducing shocks, but not very effective at keeping the bones of the foot in proper positon. YMMV.

I have some other brands as well - what I have found is that variety is a good thing for my right leg. The Spenco's Sly (Dino blows Sly a kiss :) ) and others favor are my favorite alternative. Integrafit from Montrail is a close third. I recommend everyone who is interested in insoles read what Montrail has to say about them at this link (http://www.montrail.com/technologies_integrafit.aspx).

I have one pair of trail runners that actually work better with the factory insole instead of any commercial insole - the Salomon XA Pro 3D (http://www.salomonoutdoor.com/us/products/XA-Pro-3D-W-2-51-1-0-433775.html). I also use the insoles that come with Easy Spirit Pacifico (http://www.easyspirit.com/s?namespace=catalog&origin=viewall_category.jsp&event=p.shoe&pid=14535&cid=1096)but would not recommend this shoe for hiking - it is, however, a fantasic shoe for walking or standing.

buckowens
09-08-2007, 08:17
I have a set of insoles made by a company called Oregon Aero. They make a number of foam cushions and pads for aviation, to include helmet liners, which I have used for years. The owner of the company gave me a seat pad for the airplane and the insoles at a military convention. Both items are great!

They can be found at: http://www.oregonaero.com/Prlist_ShockBlockers.html

They are still around 30 bucks, but they have worked for me. They are not corrective and merely dampen the shock.

WILLIAM HAYES
09-08-2007, 18:34
I have used superfeet for about 700 miles on the AT and would not trade them for any other form of support. They really work for me. Hillbilly

BenWaller
09-08-2007, 21:31
yep, I sure do use 'em. I broke all the long bones in my right foot logging about 40 years ago (yeah I'm a geezer). before I started using SuperFeet a while back (Greenies) I couldn't go much beyond 2-3 miles at a time without stopping for a while to let the cramps loosen up. now I can do about 5 miles continuous without too much trouble, so long as it's not downhill. impact loads shifting toward the toes makes trouble for me no matter what shoes or inserts I use.

still, for me doing 10-15 mile days out here on the PCT or in the Coast ranges is no big problem. but I couldn't be doing it without SuperFeet.

ben

Nearly Normal
09-08-2007, 21:44
When I first started backpacking two things happened.
My shoe size went up and also began to have foot pain. Doc called it planter fasciitis. Feet got bigger from carrying the pack weight I guess.
The doc wanted to fit me with a custom insert that seemed mighty pricey.
I tried superfeet and never went back for the custom fitting.
Green for backpacking and blue for everyday shoes. They are worth the mula to me.
No more planter fasciitis.

Nearly Normal

Just a Hiker
09-08-2007, 21:48
I don't leave home without them!

DavidNH
09-08-2007, 21:51
I used superfeet in the past..gave me incredible pain on the balls of my feet. God him self could not sell me a pair of superfeet insoles. I like Spenco..padded equally through out.

Davidnh

Survivor Dave
09-08-2007, 22:29
I have used the green Superfeet(same pair) for well over a year, about 250 miles of hiking and find them to be a great investment. I have also tried the orange Superfeet and found them to cause discomfort and hot spots on the ball of my feet because of the extra cushion that the orange ones have.

I do suggest that you have them cut to fit at the store you buy them with your primary hiking footwear for proper fit. REIs' footwear dept. did mine with a smile and I don't regret it.

I have not tried the custom molded ones, but have heard that if you hike long distance, your foot size and shape change, therefore you would need to buy more along the way. That's just what I have been told.....

Different strokes for different foot types I guess.

Survivor Dave

Gaiter
09-08-2007, 22:42
where is the option for about to try them for the first time

gaiter

ChinMusic
09-08-2007, 22:47
I was getting blisters on the sides of my heals a couple years ago with my Asolo Fusion 95s. An outfitter in AZ recommended the Superfeet. I thought those expensive stock inserts were just BS, but decided to give em a try.

The balls of my feet were tender for a couple days of use until I got "used to them". After the break-in period (couple days) I was pain-free and my heals did not blister anymore.

I got some Keens this spring and Walasi-Yi recommended the Superfeet for the Keens as well, especially since I was used to the Superfeet in the Asolos. He recommended a new set of Superfeet for the new shoes.

Both times I was skeptical and feared it was just a slick sales technique to nickle/dime a sucker.

I was wrong.

I don't know why Superfeet work for me, but they do. I will replace the inserts on ANY future hiking shoe with Superfeet right out of the box.

As with ANY shoe topic, YMMV.

halftime
09-08-2007, 23:21
I use them and am happy with them, however they did make my feet hurt when I first started wearing them all day long. This went away after two weeks of wearing them intermittently. I would not go without them now. You need to allow for a gradual break-in period if you can.

Bluehaus71
09-08-2007, 23:34
I use them and have for years. They do have a break in period in my experience where they feel like steel shanks in your shoes. After a dozen miles or so they are better for me. Now my hiking shoes are the only pair of shoes I own that don't hurt my feet. I guess I should put Superfeet in the rest of my shoes.

Marta
09-09-2007, 07:11
I have been using Superfeet for a couple of years. My most recent shoes, Salomon somethings (the grey ones with the Kevlar laces), though, have enough shaping in their footbeds and insoles (heel stabilizer and arch support) that the Superfeet are unnecessary.

This is a good thing. It chaps my butt to spend close to $100 on a pair of shoes, then have to spend another $35 for Superfeet.

Marta/Five-Leaf

baxter
09-09-2007, 07:54
-I use the Spenco backpackers, love them.

Smile
09-09-2007, 09:10
I am convinced that Superfeet caused the foot injury that took me off trail in Franklin last year. I continued to try them every other week or so while recuperating.

Lesson learned: With them = pain. Without them = healing.

It was very interesting reading this thread, just as everything else on trail - it is to each his own and what works for one doesn't always work for others.

Happy Hiking :)

oldfivetango
09-09-2007, 09:21
www.footsmart.com (http://www.footsmart.com)

It's all you need to know.They have oodles of orthodics at all
price ranges;including the "custom made" type that you step on
and send back to have a mold made of your EXACT foot.

So if you have minor discrepancies in your feet and alignments
it is going to be about as good as it gets unless you go to a
podiatrist and have a professional set made for 5 times as much.

Oldfivetango