PDA

View Full Version : Advice to hammock users

fishing
11-12-2012, 14:15
When it gets nice and cold this year make sure you get out in your hammock to test your cold weather gear! I have always been a very warm-natured person and I could not sleep in a hammock without too much money in down to keep me warm. Glad I tried it out as the weather cooled instead of finding out on top of Springer though!

If you can make it happen, more power to you! Just be sure you know you can take the temps.

msupple
11-12-2012, 15:06
When it gets nice and cold this year make sure you get out in your hammock to test your cold weather gear! I have always been a very warm-natured person and I could not sleep in a hammock without too much money in down to keep me warm. Glad I tried it out as the weather cooled instead of finding out on top of Springer though!

If you can make it happen, more power to you! Just be sure you know you can take the temps.

At the risk of beating the proverbial dead horse, down is certainly not the only way to keep warm in a hammock. There exists a wide array of pads and air mattresses that can keep you warm in a hammock. Personally I prefer down both under and over me but I have gotten by in very cold temps with an assortment of pads, all the way from Wally World closed cell to Neo AirXlites.

Cat in the Hat

LadybugPicnic
11-16-2012, 10:00
I started using a hammock this past summer and did a cold weather test on the JMT - it did not pass, so I went back to the drawing board and got proper under insulation - then tested it again in freezing temps and it worked great. Always good to test ALL of your systems to make sure they are going to work for you, but if they don't, you can tweak them along the trail.

Tom Murphy
11-16-2012, 11:11
IMO a hammock is about comfort, not UL.

Yes you can reduce the weight of your hammock system but it weight is your primary concern nothing beats a tarp, groundsheet, air pad, and quilt.

bannerstone
11-16-2012, 16:59

Yes you can reduce the weight of your hammock system but it weight is your primary concern nothing beats a tarp, groundsheet, air pad, and quilt.

Can't we have both? The UL hammock guys I camp with seem to be doing pretty well down in the low 7lb base range for summer. Heck, I'm even down under 10lbs and it was not nearly as hard as I thought it would be.

I figure comfort is the primary concern to everyone, especially when there's water flowing under you. :)

David

SouthMark
11-16-2012, 19:16
My winter hammock base weight is 10-12 lbs. I have slept warm and toasty at 2 degrees with about 40 mph winds and 3-4 ft of snow.

lkn4air
11-24-2012, 18:01
Well my first hammock test was last night I guess qualifies as cold weather got down to 32* Hiking was perfect during the day at 66*. I did ok will have to learn to use my under quilt, I had was to much gap thus breeze. Also Had a big spread between trees and very little sag so will have to incorperate Ridgeline. I wish I had read that one on the Hammock forum before I went hiking. But I was so excited to try out the new gear. I also need better top quilt My sleeping bag is way too bulky for hammock.

Happy Hiking

HYOH

kayak karl
11-24-2012, 23:16
my first full night hang was with my JRB Mt Wash 4 UQ, 0 degree top quilt and Superfly tarp. it was 9 degrees and about 15 mph winds on Springer :)

Lemni Skate
11-30-2012, 13:53
What is standard hammock gear? A hammock, sleeping bag and some sort of pad underneath?

Stir Fry
11-30-2012, 14:06

My hammock set up is 54 oz. Thats a tarp, 10X10, WBBB hammock with bug net and a 10* underquilt. Not UL but its certinly comparable to a 1 man tent, or tarp, groung sheet and a good pad.

Stir Fry
11-30-2012, 14:13
What is standard hammock gear? A hammock, sleeping bag and some sort of pad underneath?

If you want to compair to a tent set up IMHO just use the hammock, a tarp and pad or underquilt. Both systems need a sleeping bag or a top cover of some type.

The learning curve in a hammock is keeping warm. In a tent you need a pad so the cold issue seems to take care of itself.

Tinker
11-30-2012, 16:58

Look to your left......................:)