PDA

View Full Version : Holy Smokies!!

evansprater
11-12-2012, 18:02
Hey guys,

So I made it through the smokies. Then to Standing Bear, and to Hot Springs. Phew. What a few days. I saw my first bears, a momma and a cub, just after standing bear. I barked at them, clanked my poles together, and blew my lifeguard whistle as loud as possible and they were hardly scared of me, but ended up walking away casually. I got visited by a HUGE male bear the next night at Walnut Mountain shelter, and it scared the living **** out of me. I almost stepped on a Copperhead about 3 miles south of Hot Springs. Which really surprised me because I thought snakes were done slithering about this time of year.

BUT the greatest triumph of my journey was the Smokies. 3-4 of snow the whole time. Trudging 1 mph. It snowed three days straight. I found the guy who got airlifted out's tent and stuff on the side of the trail, just sitting there covered in snow in the eerie quiet of the snow, completely alone. I only saw 6 or so SOBo's the whole time. Even that small number of people was incredibly comforting having never hiked through snow, or really experienced a large amount of snow in my life (we don't get much in Tallahassee). I'm at a buddy's house in Asheville now and getting back on toward's Erwin tomorrow. Let me know what you think about these pics :)18072180731807418075

BobTheBuilder
11-12-2012, 18:13
Very cool. That must have been a great experience. Thanks for the pics.

Duramax22
11-12-2012, 18:15
what shelter was that?

evansprater
11-12-2012, 18:17
It was absolutely life changing. Never experienced anything like it. That was tri-corner knob shelter!

1stgenfarmboy
11-12-2012, 18:17
For shure would have had my blood flowin, on a side note, i bet it was quiet enough to hear your own heart beating.

cool pics thanks for posting, these are the first pics i have seen from the AT during the big one.

Mountain Mike
11-12-2012, 18:22
Great pics. Glad you made it through & enjoyed it.

HikerMom58
11-12-2012, 18:30
It was absolutely life changing. Never experienced anything like it. That was tri-corner knob shelter!

Those pics are awesome, evensprater... we were concerned about you making it through.. good to know u are doing well!! Ur cousin posted on here- concerned for you. Winged Monkey did some great detective work and wondered if he was talking about you!! :) IT WAS YOU!! You texted him, some time later at Davenport Gap so he reported, on here, you had made it through... so happy!! Bet you didn't know u had become such a celeb did ya? LOL.

The bear at Walnut MT must have scared you to death... :eek: I remember that shelter.. there's all kinds of stuff written all over the shelter walls about bears... YIKES. Wow, a copperhead 2? Thanks again for the pics... :)

G-FOURce
11-12-2012, 18:35
Wicked cool!

Dr. Professor
11-12-2012, 18:40
Being that you're okay, that is one sweet hike. Thanks for the story & pics.

evansprater
11-12-2012, 18:55
Thanks guys... It was indeed much earlier than I expected to encounter any snow, and especially this much. More people should start their thru-hike in October, get a job for the winter, and finish in Spring. I'll use my trail name to trademark it: "The Late Bloomer Hike". Yes.

Half Note
11-12-2012, 19:10
I'm so envious. Glad you're staying safe. Keep enjoying it!

evansprater
11-12-2012, 19:25
Oh, and HikerMom, no, I had no idea I was such a celeb! I am HONORED. You guys rock!

Rasty
11-12-2012, 19:56
Oh, and HikerMom, no, I had no idea I was such a celeb! I am HONORED. You guys rock!

It was more like Vegas. You were at 2 to 1 odds. :D

evansprater
11-12-2012, 20:39

LOL. Well I'm glad you all had fun with it.

banditsweet
11-12-2012, 20:47
Hey guys,

So I made it through the smokies. Then to Standing Bear, and to Hot Springs. Phew. What a few days. I saw my first bears, a momma and a cub, just after standing bear. I barked at them, clanked my poles together, and blew my lifeguard whistle as loud as possible and they were hardly scared of me, but ended up walking away casually. I got visited by a HUGE male bear the next night at Walnut Mountain shelter, and it scared the living **** out of me. I almost stepped on a Copperhead about 3 miles south of Hot Springs. Which really surprised me because I thought snakes were done slithering about this time of year.

BUT the greatest triumph of my journey was the Smokies. 3-4 of snow the whole time. Trudging 1 mph. It snowed three days straight. I found the guy who got airlifted out's tent and stuff on the side of the trail, just sitting there covered in snow in the eerie quiet of the snow, completely alone. I only saw 6 or so SOBo's the whole time. Even that small number of people was incredibly comforting having never hiked through snow, or really experienced a large amount of snow in my life (we don't get much in Tallahassee). I'm at a buddy's house in Asheville now and getting back on toward's Erwin tomorrow. Let me know what you think about these pics :)18072180731807418075

was that 3 to 4 feet or inches?

MuddyWaters
11-12-2012, 20:49
looks like an awesome experience.

Rasty
11-12-2012, 20:57

LOL. Well I'm glad you all had fun with it.

I'm planning a January trip to the Smokies. How were the overall trail conditions?

nitewalker
11-12-2012, 21:03
tipiwalter would be very proud of you. glad u made it thru, nice job!!!

evansprater
11-12-2012, 21:23
Banditsweet: sorry, three to four feet. I got another 4-5 inches through the time I was in that icebox though.

Thanks nitewalker!

evansprater
11-12-2012, 21:28
Oh, and Rasty: lots of downed trees and debris from Sandy. I had to hop over more **** in that 20 mile stretch than I had the entire 200 something miles before it. Totally worth it though! A lot of people said there wouldn't be much trail work done in between now and Spring though, due to the lack of use, so I can't say whether or not it will be better or worse by January. Oh, and there were lots of SoBo's getting in my way, cheeky bastards! Don't they know walking towards the equator is easier?!

gizzy bear
11-13-2012, 15:10
so glad you made it thru & are enjoying the challanges and the fun :) quick question...is that a hammock in your pics?!?!

Rasty
11-13-2012, 15:13
so glad you made it thru & are enjoying the challanges and the fun :) quick question...is that a hammock in your pics?!?!

I think those are pictures of the abandoned gear from the other hiker that was helicopter rescued.

Creek Dancer
11-13-2012, 15:13
Wow, that's a lot of snow to contend with. Great memory maker trip! Glad you made it safely.

4dogHiker
11-13-2012, 17:35
Wow! Awesome pictures....my hubby and I were supposed to hike that section early last week, but bailed because of the all the reports...he was ready, but I was concerned about the cold, and high drifts-I was following the LeConte Lodge blog. Glas you made it through, and hope you are enjoying some of the tastiest brews around in Asheville!

gizzy bear
11-14-2012, 11:04
I think those are pictures of the abandoned gear from the other hiker that was helicopter rescued.

thanks rasty...i was about to have a whole new respect for evan if he was spleeping in that hammock :eek:

wornoutboots
11-14-2012, 12:22
Jealous!!! Very Sweet Adventuring!!!! Thx fer the Pix!!!

Ender
11-14-2012, 12:24
Awesome photos... looks like it was a fun and beautiful time out there.

Waterbuffalo
11-16-2012, 22:14
Good stuff thanks for sharing!