PDA

View Full Version : Canister fuel on the CDT

bamboo bob
11-12-2012, 18:08
Yes, it's not 1972. Where on the CDT can I get fuel for my Jetboil. I am happy with it. I know canisters that work are available "everywhere" and Jetboil has a list but other sources would be helpful in letting me skip towns etc.

Mags
11-12-2012, 18:36
Check Yogi's book for more details to be honest. As an aside (and you probably already know this) the Jetboil fuel canisters are nothing special. They use the Lindal valve that is used by any modern backpacking canister stove. Coleman, Jetboil, SnoPeak, MSR and others are all interchangeable.

What does this mean?

Big Box Stores (Sports Authority and Dick type store), Walmarts (they stock the Coleman canister with Lindal valves) and most outfitters stock these canisters.

So, if you'd rather do your own research sans Yogi's book, any town with the type of stores above should have them.

This link should help:
http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/cdt06_miles.html

Sly
11-12-2012, 19:05
As you probably know you can also ship it via ground. Here's Ken and Marcia page on mailing fuel.

http://www.gottawalk.com/shipping_fuel.htm

One additional benefit of canister fuel is many times it's allowed in fire ban areas

Dogwood
11-12-2012, 19:51
Yes, you can use an isobutane stove(JetBoil, etc) on the CDT. I used isobutane canisters(Snow Peak(I bought a case at a steep pro/bulk discount), MSR, Coleman, Optimus, etc) and a Snow Peak Giga stove for cooking(just boiling water, no extensive cooking) on my CDT thru-hike in 2010. I purchased a few cans along the way in both 4 and 8 oz size. While looking ahead down the trail, the size I bought depended on whether or not I thought I would be going into a town where I could easily resupply with a new small can or if I had already mailed myself a resupply box there containing an iso can. In some sections, not desiring a huge food haul or a lengthy or difficult hitch into a town or where my kind of food wasn't locally available I mailed myself a resupply box closer to the trail that sometimes included a canister(ground ship only label should be applied when mailing iso cans). I felt this was the easiest thing for me since I had definitely decided I was going to be mailing a few resupply boxes in key places anyhow. Although, after that being said, I think the CDT is one trail/route where you should definitely consider employing a alchy stove because alchy stove fuel is generally easier and more convenient to come by then iso cans on this trail. If I hadn't elected to already be mailing myself a few resupply boxes containing the ocassional iso can I would have went with an alchy stove. The CDT is a trail where you can typically legally be allowed a small cooking campfire too IF you find yourself short on isobutane.

The CDT is a LONG trail/route with lots of possible resupply pts. For the BEST info on towns where you could possibly buy iso cans I would peruse Yogi's CDT town guide, Spirit Eagle's CDT resupply info, or Mag's CDT resupply info.

BTW, don't believe JetBoil's claim that you need to use their pricier "special" brand of isobutane mixture to properly fuel a JetBoil stove. Several other brands will work just as well, perhaps better, AND will probably be cheaper and give you slightly more fuel(boils) to boot! For example, Snow Peak's Giga Gold Pro iso canisters have a similiar, perhaps better, blend for higher altitude and colder outside temperature cooking, cost less, and give you more fuel in the canister! Check it out! Personally, I wouldn't pay more for JetBoil fuel just because JetBoil says only use their brand of fuel in a JeBoil stove. The same can often be stated about other iso brand stoves that steer you into only using their brand of iso fuel. Personally, I find NO logical reason to be paying more money for fewer boils! And, unless you are doing much cooking at higher altitudes and under colder outside temps most iso mixtures will work for you just as well as the JetBoil iso cans. Let's not forget that the cheaper iso brand cans can ALSO give you MORE boils meaning LESS resupplying of isobutane which is what you want. .

bamboo bob
11-12-2012, 21:26
Thanks I've got Yogi's town guide, I didn't realize the info was in there. I didn't find it in the planning books. My bad. I've used the jetboil since day one it came out. I use it sparingly so I get 30 days to a small can. I'l start with a spare I guess. I don't expect to find big box stores in most places.

Dogwood
11-12-2012, 22:59
One of the problems with iso cans is that you aren't always in a place to conveniently resupply by purchasing a new can exactly when the old one is finished. The CDT IS NOT the AT. The CDT doesn't have the sheer number of possible resupply pts as the AT, but this is NOT a huge issue on the CDT either. You just need to plan ahead well and possibly be a bit more flexible on the CDT. Maybe the solution for you, IF excessive fuel wt is a major concern, is to carry two 4 oz cans and don't be shy about trashing the old when, even though it may still contain a bit of fuel, you have the chance. It can be this way with alchy stove fuel too, although not to such an extent. Think about how many hiker boxes you've seen over the yrs with partially filled iso cans and HEET bottles! Personally, just by picking up a partially used iso can, especially the 4 oz size, I can tell within one or two boils how much fuel(boils) is left in the canister. I adjust my cooking accordingly even if that means I eat uncooked food for a day(it's not going to kill you) or start a SMALL legal cooking campfire for a hot dinner. I usually have a good handle on where and when I'm going to resupply, how many MPD I'll be averaging over a segment, how many dinners and/or b-fasts I need to plan for, and often, with uncanny accuracy, plan for my fuel needs. Even so, I did cook about 6 dinners over a campfire while on the CDT because I was running low on iso stove fuel. Go with the flow! IMHO, that's one of the keys to enjoying and completing a long distance thru-hike!

Mags
11-13-2012, 00:50
Thanks I've got Yogi's town guide, I didn't realize the info was in there. I didn't find it in the planning books. My bad. I've used the jetboil since day one it came out. I use it sparingly so I get 30 days to a small can. I'l start with a spare I guess. I don't expect to find big box stores in most places.

In the Colorado ski areas you find Wally Worlds, Target and Sports Authorities (Steamboat has one for example). IIRC, Grants has a Wallie world as does Rawlins. Demings and Lordsburg too for that matter

Out there more than you may think for the CDT. It is the northern portions that are really the more remote areas.

Mountain Mike
11-13-2012, 01:16
In the Colorado ski areas you find Wally Worlds, Target and Sports Authorities (Steamboat has one for example). IIRC, Grants has a Wallie world as does Rawlins. Demings and Lordsburg too for that matter

Out there more than you may think for the CDT. It is the northern portions that are really the more remote areas.

No Wally world in Lordsburg but there is but they have a super store in Silver City,

Mags
11-13-2012, 02:16
No Wally world in Lordsburg but there is but they have a super store in Silver City,

You are right...had a brain cramp. Seeing as Silver City is near the home stretch for SoBos and a major town for NoBos awhen the journey is still new, works well.

BTW, Walmart stocks this stove and canisters in the summer:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Peak1-Micro-Butane-Stove/4722923

Naturally, not sure if every one does.

bamboo bob
11-14-2012, 18:48
Thanks for the input. I know it's still USA not the Amazon. It may be easier than I thought. Towns are towns and it's not just CDT thruhikers that buy fuel. If it becomes a hassle I'll just go with cold food. No big deal really.

Dogwood
11-14-2012, 20:07
I use it sparingly so I get 30 days to a small can.

Look at it this way, if you use iso fuel at that rate in the 4 oz size, you have ABOUT 30 days betwen having to resupply with a new can, which you can certainly do on the CDT even if hiking MPD at a very moderate pace. You'll be fine under such conditions BB.

BTW, SOBO or NOBO?

bamboo bob
11-17-2012, 21:49
NOBO. It just seems natural to me. Looking to start April 16 unless it's a big snow year.

NotYet
11-25-2012, 22:50
We called several places ahead of time to confirm that they carried cannister stoves, and realized we'd be fine. Once when we changed our resupply to a town that didn't have a place to get a cannister, we arranged to have one mailed via ground to that town. We had no problems at all, and we were able to cook even when we were in areas with fire bans that included alcohol stoves.

NotYet
11-25-2012, 22:52
EDIT: we called to confirm they carried canisters... (not canister stoves)

Chance09
11-29-2012, 18:57
I started with the new TI Jetboil on the CDT last year. I found the weight, even of their lightest one with a canister to be more than I wanted.

Also the main reason to use a Jetboil fuel can is because it fits in the pot, not for their specific fuel. Some of the different canister sizes do not fit in the pot. That negates the usefulness of such a small compact pot.

Also I found that even just using it to boil for dinner, and I freezer bag cooked, I had trouble getting 30 days out of a small canister.

One thing to note that not everyone thinks of is that all things aside the jetboil pot is still a pot. If you run out of fuel, just pull off the couzi and set it directly in the fire. Fire will still make your water boil :)

Dogwood
11-29-2012, 20:56
Also the main reason to use a Jetboil fuel can is because it fits in the pot, not for their specific fuel.

NO, and that's not what Jet Boil says in regards to using their brand of iso fuel. They say they have a "SPECIAL" mixture designed especially for the Jet Boil system. Only use Jet Boil brand fuel. BS! There are plenty of other iso mixture brands in 4 oz cans that will fit equally well in the Jet Boil pots!

Some of the different canister sizes do not fit in the pot. That negates the usefulness of such a small compact pot.

While that is true, to some extent, like with the squat, but greater diameter 4 0z MSR iso brand cans, there are several other brand iso mixtures in the 4 oz size that will work with the Jet Boil system and nest nicely inside the JetBoil pot as the 4 oz Jet Boil cans do.

bamboo bob
11-30-2012, 14:36
I use various fuel vendors for the Jetboil. They all have worked fine for me. The compact packing is nice of course. And the total weight compares well with other when you consider fuel + pot+ stove. At least not differences that I care about. I dislike liquid fuel because i'm lazy and not real careful and I spill liquid fuel. But the main reason I'll continue with the Jetboil is it boils quickly. When I don't use the Jetboil I eat cold meals. Definitely the lightest.

Sly
12-08-2012, 22:18
Thanks for the input. I know it's still USA not the Amazon. It may be easier than I thought. Towns are towns and it's not just CDT thruhikers that buy fuel. If it becomes a hassle I'll just go with cold food. No big deal really.

You could always have a alcohol stove in a bounce box, or carry one as a spare for that matter. I never had a problem finding heat of denatured alcohol. Of course, they were send ground to the resorts such as Big Sandy and Benchmark.

SunnyWalker
01-28-2013, 22:53
I'll do the opposite. Bounce my my iso and stove and carry the alcohol stove (Caldera cone). Till I hit a burn ban then switch out.