PDA

View Full Version : Double Rainbow in the Snow

Rasty
11-12-2012, 21:01
Anyone have any experience with a Tarptent Double Rainbow in the snow? It looks like it should be OK with a couple of extra lines and longer pegs.

bigcranky
11-12-2012, 21:58
Don't forget you can use hiking poles to add support for the main arch pole - they stand upright in each vestibule, and there is a grommet for the pole tip in the top of the fly (though I didn't trust my pole tip not to slip out and puncture the canopy, so I just shoved the pole handle up there and it worked fine.) This adds a lot of support in heavy wind, and I expect it would help for some snow load, too.

Never had mine out in heavy snow, though, but I agree that my expectations would be high for good performance.

Rasty
11-12-2012, 22:18
Don't forget you can use hiking poles to add support for the main arch pole - they stand upright in each vestibule, and there is a grommet for the pole tip in the top of the fly (though I didn't trust my pole tip not to slip out and puncture the canopy, so I just shoved the pole handle up there and it worked fine.) This adds a lot of support in heavy wind, and I expect it would help for some snow load, too.

Never had mine out in heavy snow, though, but I agree that my expectations would be high for good performance.

Great tip! I will do that. I never even noticed the grommet.