PDA

View Full Version : Underwear suggestions

fcoulter
11-12-2012, 21:23
After spending the last four days hiking, I've discovered what's wrong with the underwear I bought at Walmart. Chafing ain't fun.

So, I need some recommendations about what underwear I should wear when hiking. (I am not ready to go commando.) Links would be good. I'm a Prime member on Amazon, so saving money on shipping would be good, too.

I'm hiking in Florida, so I'm not looking for long underwear. Although I probably should; I'm heading to Maryland for Christmas.

Oh, I'm also a male.

canoe
11-12-2012, 21:47
...eofficio...expensive but worth it

canoe
11-12-2012, 21:48
exofficio......

atmilkman
11-12-2012, 21:58
100% nylon Jockey brand. Just search them on Amazon. $3.99 each. Boxers or briefs. Excellent wear.

T-Rx
11-12-2012, 21:59
Patagonia silk weight boxer briefs.

Del Q
11-12-2012, 22:14
On my last hike I bought a pair of Icebreaker running shorts, merino wool with a liner..............amazingly comfortable and they are shorts, but feel and wear like underwear

ZERO chafing

Before this hike Icebreaker boxers.........merino wool is great and just does not get a case of the "stinks" unlike all synthetics.

I also bring a kilt, sometimes I went commando, sometimes kilt and these running shorts, much of the time just the running shorts, worked well.

MuddyWaters
11-12-2012, 22:14
Simple walmart Starter brand compression shorts work great. $10 Actually dont smell much after a week either.

leaftye
11-12-2012, 22:30
You're not explaining your chafing issues, and you weren't specific at all with what you got at Walmart, so it's not easy to tell you what you need to fix it. For all we know, you bought cotton waffle weave thermals two sizes too small.

Some people get chafing along their crack. Some people get chafing about 1/4th of the way down their thighs where they touch. And there are other types of chafing in that general area too.

So to give generic advice, I'd say get synthetic boxer briefs with a 9" inseam. Try your size, and a size above and below to see how they fit, and if one size causes or relieves chafing more than another. You can try merino boxer briefs, but it's nigh impossible to find them with a 9" inseam, and it'd wear out faster.

I've been using fully synthetic 9" inseam boxer briefs from Walmart lately with great success. They're the ones sold individually on a hanger.

SCRUB HIKER
11-12-2012, 22:34
Ex Officio boxer-briefs. One pair lasted 2000 miles without a hint of breaking down, so in that sense, $25 for a pair of undershorts is definitely worth it. Same pair might be coming on the PCT with me next year. They're very good at preventing chafing and very comfortable all-around.

TheCheek
11-12-2012, 22:36
Patagonia silk weight boxer briefs.

I did my whole thru with a single pair of these guys. Spending a little more on quality will often save you money on rebuys in the future.

TheCheek
11-12-2012, 22:40
I loled when i read the post by leaftye... Tell us, was the chaffing on scrotum, choad, crack, or thigh? We need details!!

The Solemates
11-12-2012, 22:45
i buy pants with built-in liners. no need for underwear. saves weight, funk, laundry, and hassle.

leaftye
11-12-2012, 23:19
One other thing is that some people get chafing mostly due to moisture. Chafing (or irritation) they wouldn't get if their skin was dry. In this case, no underwear and even a kilt might be the answer.

If you don't want to go in the particulars of your chafing, then read up on the many chafing threads that have already taken place here.

Rasty
11-12-2012, 23:27
I loled when i read the post by leaftye... Tell us, was the chaffing on scrotum, choad, crack, or thigh? We need details!!

Your being Cheeky! :D

Dogwood
11-12-2012, 23:38
After spending the last four days hiking, I've discovered what's wrong with the underwear I bought at Walmart. Chafing ain't fun.
- Fcoulter

Solution - do the crotchless panty thing or freeball.

shelb
11-12-2012, 23:56
My husband has one Ex Officio boxer brief and loves it! However, both he and my sons also have the $12 Walmart Starter brand compression shorts and they love them too!

Regular boxers and any regular brief causes them, and the majority of our scouts to have chafing when we hike/backpack. Many of our girls also hike in the compression shorts.

Plus, we all carry our own personal Body Glide! That beats Gold Bond all the way!!! And, you can use body glide on your feet for hot spots if necessary....

I

Sailing_Faith
11-13-2012, 01:02
Simple walmart Starter brand compression shorts work great. $10 Actually dont smell much after a week either.

Sadly it seems Walmart is no longer carrying the starter brand microfiber briefs. I looked there this week to replace my pairs that I bought last year and all they had were cotton starter briefs which are not the same thing.

I checked Walmart online and they don't have them there either.

i did pick up a few exoffico briefs at Ross which I hope I will be as happy with.

bubonicplay
11-13-2012, 01:11
X2 on the Icebreaker boxers.

leaftye
11-13-2012, 02:14
Sadly it seems Walmart is no longer carrying the starter brand microfiber briefs. I looked there this week to replace my pairs that I bought last year and all they had were cotton starter briefs which are not the same thing.

I checked Walmart online and they don't have them there either.

Look in their athletic clothing racks. They're hanging from pants hangers. No plastic bag like their other briefs. I picked up my last pair a few weeks ago. I wouldn't call it microfiber though. The fabric is like a slightly looser version of the fabric used in UnderArmour's O-Series briefs.

dornstar
11-13-2012, 05:02
I would check out another Walmart. I just bought a pair yesterday.

daddytwosticks
11-13-2012, 08:07
Shorts w/mesh liner in warmer weather. No problems. Almost like going commando. :)

Turk6177
11-13-2012, 10:02
I wear underarmor boxer jock underwear. It prevents the skin from rubbing. I also start every day by putting Body Glide (runners use this a lot) in the butt crack, between the thighs and on my feet. I have not had a problem with chafing at all. Also, if you are out there and you do get some chafing, treat the areas at night with some diaper rash creme. That will help it heal.

Old Hiker
11-13-2012, 10:34
Wickers.

http://www.amazon.com/Wickers-Performance-Underwear-Classic-Brief/dp/B0009OPQ9M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1352817617&sr=8-4&keywords=wickers+underwear

FarmerChef
11-13-2012, 11:48
+3 or 4 or whatever is by now on the Wal Mart Starter brand compression shorts. I've had minimal wear on mine through 900 miles or so and will soon top a 1,000 on the same pairs. In my case, I only chafe when I sweat and then dry. If I'm dry all day or most of it, no problem. The compression shorts help keep things from sliding around as much (read: friction) and the Body Glide goes the extra step by preventing any real hot spots when things do manage to slide. It is also very helpful to wash the offending area nightly or close to it if you're sweating a lot. One theory is that it's the salts building up on your skin that are doing the "cutting." And I've also found that a bit of moisturizing cream on the chafed parts will make them as good as new in the morning, provided you add proper protection to keep them from rubbing raw all over again.

Nicknack
11-14-2012, 22:39
Exofficio! I use them for everyday wear because they're so comfy! Good for travel too since they pack small. Patagonia ones are good but I find they can smell and kinda give me a wedgie...

Statue
11-15-2012, 02:38
walmart.com says they are out of stock. :(

dzierzak
11-15-2012, 12:12
walmart.com says they are out of stock. :(

Try Target.com search "performance boxer briefs" Champion C9 is what I have used. Reasonable price, too.

cliffordbarnabus
11-15-2012, 15:03
did a 5.5 year bike ride around the world starting in canada. in nm, i decided underwear was pointless and useless. i don't like to be greasy and funky down there. also did AT twice point 7 times and the pct. commando be the way to go. free yourself. burn 'em.

jeffmeh
11-15-2012, 20:50
Merino wool boxer briefs, e.g., http://www.backcountry.com/stoic-merino-boxer-brief-mens

Statue
11-15-2012, 20:56
Try Target.com search "performance boxer briefs" Champion C9 is what I have used. Reasonable price, too.
Right on, thank you.

keepinitsimple
11-15-2012, 21:04
Kohls house brand synthetic boxer/brief. 5 bucks with the cupon. Sized big, so I go a size smaller. Right length, good for work or play. Probably on their site. Sonoma I think is the label