PDA

View Full Version : No zeros

squireel
11-12-2012, 23:09
Is it crazy thinking that a thru hike can be completed with no zeros? Is it crazy thinking that I should be able to maintain 20 miles a day from the start if I'm in great shape? I maintained 20+ a day on a long train thru hike with out issues, besides time and Length of trail I don't see why the AT should be different. I'm not saying I'm pushing for a world record but how many people truly can get 20+ miles a day and still finish a thru hike. And for the record a speed record is not the main purpose for my thru hike attempt, I just hate spending all day in camp.

Mountain Mike
11-12-2012, 23:14
Most zero are in town & are a rest/non rest day doing chores. Your body will need a rest now & then. A lot of people do neros if you don't want to spend a whole day in town. Camp close to town. Hike in do laundry, shopping, mail, etc. Spend one night & hike out next day.

squireel
11-12-2012, 23:19
I'm ok with neros, I understand why they are needed. I'm just going to give it 100% not to have a zero.

Northern Lights
11-12-2012, 23:24
I've wondered this too, and if it has been done. For myself I enjoy the day or two in town on section hikes just to do laundry, shower and get a salad and or pizza!

The Cleaner
11-12-2012, 23:28
Sitting in your warm house or apartment it's easy to plan out 20+ mile days.Out in the wet&cold with long climbs&descents and a long list of possible problems,the best of well made plans can change very quick....

squireel
11-12-2012, 23:35
Yes I agree that it is warm here in my apartment, but what separates 20+ mile days on the long trail compared to the AT? There is no way you can tell me that Vermont is a walk in the park, and no I don't have 2000 miles under my belt but I have enough to know that I have a strong chance at maintaining 20 mile days out the gate.

wornoutboots
11-12-2012, 23:40
many days of constant rain may be the biggest struggle with this one, it really wears on you mentally.

Mountain Mike
11-12-2012, 23:45
Just keep in mind the calories you will burn day after day. 5-6 K . Not saying it can't be done but you have to plan for it. Most hikers use town stops for feeding frenzies to make up for lost calories on the trail. I learned to adjust my menu on AT to maintain weight when I couldn't afford to lose more. On PCT, when a friend from AT came to meet me was surprised how fit I looked compared to how emaciated we looked on the AT. High fat foods & things like olive oil or margarine help a lot.

kayak karl
11-12-2012, 23:46
the long trail is only 272 mi. AT is 8 times that,
but you seem to be telling us you can do it, so go do it. brag about how many miles you hiked a day and no zeros when you are done :)

snifur
11-12-2012, 23:55
squireel, you did the VLT in less than 13 days? Well good for you! Then you can definitely do the AT in less than 110 days. I believe in you buddy! Dont let anyone tell you otherwise. The AT is not like the long trail. The AT is like 10x longer! But doable in under 110 days. You will have to do a couple 30 mile days and maybe a 40 miler when you fail to post your 20's but that is doable too. You can do it! When you are done, you can brag about it here on WB; how you did not take any zeros and how you did big miles each day. Everyone here loves to hear people brag and how others are far superior at hiking. I wanna be like you squireel.

squireel
11-13-2012, 00:01
Kayak karl I like your take on it, if and that a big if I make it with no zeros I'll make a giant brag post. In reality I know this is 8 times longer than the long trail, the long trail was my " training wheels" if you will. Mountain mike I defiantly catch your drift on the calories. The thing I have to work the hardest on is eating right and stoping with enough light left to set up camp and eat.

Tuxedo
11-13-2012, 01:07
It's easy to say 110day AT hike and enjoy with town stops of nero and zero town stops. Stop in town, it was a mistake I made in planning my first hike that I thought I'd want to avoid town stops. My first week on the trail realized my mistake. Nothing beats being in town and burgers and beers to fill-up on food you don't have to carry.

My plan is to take it easy until im in trail shape then hike an avg 20-25 a day 6days(1zero & 1nero a week) and last mock hike I did was 110days So if your already in trail shape you'll make the journey with that many zeros and more.

q-tip
11-13-2012, 07:33
IMO--the AT experience is a lot more than just walking--I have done 1,100 miles and took some time to enjoy trail towns, get rested, and smell the flowers....

rickb
11-13-2012, 07:54
I took just one zero, and that was only because the PO was closed when I got to Pearisburg.

It felt natural to just keep on moving. Might have taken more had I met up with others going my direction, however-- not sure.

One advantage I had was not knowing how one "should" hike the Trail before I set out. Of course there are disadvantages to being ignorant about alot of stuff, but on reflection I see there were some very real but not so obvious benefits as well.

Hiking you own hike is not nearly as easy as it may seem.

peakbagger
11-13-2012, 08:01
If the condtions are bad over several days, you may have no choice, a couple of potential record attempts got sidelined in Maine during a wet spell where the runners feet were wet for several days, they tried to keep running and in the end had to stop to let their feet heal and overall lost more time then if they had taken a day off earlier on.

There is a fine line between obsessed and determined and make sure you can recognize the difference.

Don H
11-13-2012, 08:05
The question you might want to ask yourself is why are you thru-hiking? And why the hurry?

hikerboy57
11-13-2012, 08:06
Plans change.im betting yours will too

yellowsirocco
11-13-2012, 08:17
There is also a mental aspect of this. I know I am happy with a 6 week hike and then I get bored. You may need those zeros to get your mind off the trail.

nitewalker
11-13-2012, 08:48
for sure it is going to be a good challenge to do the trail with no zeros. im sure its easier to do the long trail over 10 to 14 days without a zero then it is to do nearly 2200 miles on th AT without a zero. more unforseen circumstaces will ocur over the course of 100-110 days on the AT then the 10-14 days on the LT. whatever the outcome have a great hike and and enjoy your zero days, lol...ROCK ON!!!!

Karma13
11-13-2012, 09:12
In your regular life, could you go six months without a single day off? Even through holidays when everybody else is celebrating, even when disasters happen and you have to work a bunch of 14-hour days, even when daily situations become stressful and start to affect your sleep? Even if you're not getting enough time for meals? Could you work at your job seven days a week for six months, with no break?

What kind of condition would you be in at the end? Would it be worth it?

That's how I look at it. I don't take many days off now (ie, I work seven days a week), so I figure I'm good for fewer zeroes than some. Still, even at that, when I know my reserves are going to be lower than usual, probably much lower, I'm anticipating that I'll need more days off than in my non-Trail life, not fewer. And that doesn't even add in the logistics of resupply (which might entail a zero) or rest days necessitated by injury.

But if you manage it, I'd love to hear about it afterward! That would be a real accomplishment.

garlic08
11-13-2012, 09:40
On my AT hike I took three zeros but only to visit family and friends. I kept a sustainable pace of 20 mpd, hiked the AT in 106 days, and I was twice your age (and my hiking partner was 64 at the time). I took more side trips and enjoyed the sights more than many slower hikers, so don't believe those that tell you that you must hike slowly to enjoy the AT. But you know that already. It was possibly the most enjoyable 3.5 months I've ever spent. I didn't lose weight, didn't get blisters, I just had over 30 perfect hiking days in a row three times that summer. If I had no family or friends, I would not have stopped once. I would have taken a few more nearos, but I just get restless sitting still on a trip like that.

The key to a successful and fun hike for me was consistency and some experience. The AT was not my first 2000 miler. I had my gear, diet, and physical needs all dialed in so I didn't have any problems. I always thought about the next day when hiking a long day. I never hiked a 30 mile day. (A younger hiker would probably have a different style.) I didn't do any mail drops and that helped too, I think (see post #14 above).

A few things I think I gained from a faster hike were 1) having a complete summer hiking season ahead of me when I got home to Colorado in mid-July, 2) saving a lot of money, and 3) enjoying the athletic aspect of it. I also enjoy seeing a completely different vista at the end of the day than I did at the start. When you can't see a major peak any more that dominated the view in the morning, that's a cool feeling of accomplishment.

Good luck with your hike and enjoy it however it works out. Take a zero if it sounds like fun, otherwise don't.

Tinker
11-13-2012, 09:40
The question you might want to ask yourself is why are you thru-hiking? And why the hurry?

Ditto.

In my section hiking, the experience is more in the people that I meet than in the trail I've hiked. How many people will be able to keep up with you?

Otoh, if you view this as an athletic event and that is how you get your giggles, by all means do it while you are young, and you may be inspired to do it "like everyone else" a second time and, as I like to say "Experience the experience".
Whatever you do, enjoy it enough to share the joy with others.
:)

colorado_rob
11-13-2012, 10:04
The question you might want to ask yourself is why are you thru-hiking? And why the hurry? Everyone says "HYOH" yet this same "argument" comes up all the time, folks saying how silly it is to "hurry" when they should be "enjoying themselves by slowing down". Why don't people get it that some of us just don't like this style? I'm out there to HIKE. I'm happiest simply hiking. I'm in a constant state of anticipation about what's around the next corner, over the next hill, what people I'll meet along the way.

Spending time in towns will bore me to tears and annoy me and I plan to avoid this as much as possible, so I personally get what the OP is asking.

However, I know myself and I know I will need a half dozen or so zero days, for various reasons already pointed out on this thread, so bottom line even for a youngster, I think zero-zeroes is unrealistic. My plan is to have a goal of lets say six total zero days over the 4.5 months on my personal estimate of how long this will take. Lots of short mileage days for resupply, of course. All this is great in theory, but if an injury rears its ugly head, then all bets are off and who knows, 14 zeros in a row (or more) might just come to be.

squireel
11-13-2012, 10:26
RickB- thank you, that tells me it's possible. DonH- I'm hiking the trail because I want to, I'm hiking because I enjoy a good challenge, and I'm not "in a rush" I have allowed for 6 months to complete this trail if needed but that isn't going to stop me from pushing hard right out the gate. Karma 13- after three 6 month deployments to the sand box, yea I can go 6 months with no problem, btw I'm on month 3 of 6 right now on stub boat. Thats 12 hour days, good weather bad weather it doesn't matter out here. Yes I can handle 6 months. Maybe I come off wrong to everyone on my organal post. I'm doing this hike to enjoy the trail, and still push my self. And if I have to take a zero I'm fine with that I will still enjoy the trail 100%. it's just my goal to complete her with out a zero.

squireel
11-13-2012, 10:29
Colorodo rob- you hit the nail on the head

Tinker
11-13-2012, 10:37
RickB- thank you, that tells me it's possible. DonH- I'm hiking the trail because I want to, I'm hiking because I enjoy a good challenge, and I'm not "in a rush" I have allowed for 6 months to complete this trail if needed but that isn't going to stop me from pushing hard right out the gate. Karma 13- after three 6 month deployments to the sand box, yea I can go 6 months with no problem, btw I'm on month 3 of 6 right now on stub boat. Thats 12 hour days, good weather bad weather it doesn't matter out here. Yes I can handle 6 months. Maybe I come off wrong to everyone on my organal post. I'm doing this hike to enjoy the trail, and still push my self. And if I have to take a zero I'm fine with that I will still enjoy the trail 100%. it's just my goal to complete her with out a zero.

Good, solid answer.
Enjoy your hike. :)

quilteresq
11-13-2012, 10:40
I was too dumb to plan zero days in my 2003 3300 mile bike ride. How did I not realize it was a good idea?

Except for about a week visiting relatives in Bend, OR, I think the only two times we actually did a zero was after about a week of biking in 100+ temps, and getting a ride out from one of Idaho canyons where the temp was over 80 degrees in the early morning. I really couldn't have made it out on that particular day. Once we got to town, I barely left the bed the rest of the day or even on the zero day, never even got to the library in town to update my blog. We had to drop our mileage down for about four days after that as well. I remember one of those days, my husband and daughter went down to a stream to cool off, and I laid down on the side of the road for about 15 minutes just to rest. Two cars stopped to see if I was all right. I said "Oh sure, just tired."

Also took one somewhere in N. Dakota where I was waiting for a mail drop that didn't arrive the day I got there. There were some nero's other than that. I won't do THAT again!

HikerMom58
11-13-2012, 10:52
Other than people that have hiked the trail for setting speed records- does anyone know if there have been claims to having hiked the trail with no zero's? If so, could you really trust someone to tell the truth?

I hope you have a great hike squireel. I know you will. :)

squireel
11-13-2012, 10:56
I would never lie I promise :D:D

Karma13
11-13-2012, 11:22
after three 6 month deployments to the sand box, yea I can go 6 months with no problem, btw I'm on month 3 of 6 right now on stub boat. Thats 12 hour days, good weather bad weather it doesn't matter out here.

Thank you for your service!

HikerMom58
11-13-2012, 11:22
And with those 2 big smiley faces... I would believe you.:D

Malto
11-13-2012, 12:03
I will give the minority opinion. IF you are in shape AND properly motivated AND properly prepared then you can easily do a 20 mpd average with no zeros or even average 20 per day with a few zeros thrown in. Will you have fun doing it? That is something that you will have to decide.

If I were doing another thru hike I would do it without any planned zeros. I did the last 1500 miles of the PCT without a zero, we got real good at doing about 70-80% normal miles for a "Nero". But in order to do that you will have to have your act together and be very efficient with your town stops. One way I accomplished that was to rely heavily on mail drops. But this is where the planning and preparation comes in, you better have your food plan nailed down if you are going to rely on food drops extensively. It worked well for me and I would do it again for the PCT. For the AT I would use them less given there are so many resupply options near the trail.

You may find some useful info in my trail journal of my 2011 PCT trip. I wrote it especially to document the training and preparation that I went through. Take a look at the pictures, one thing you won't see much in the pictures are other people, I hiked solo the first half since I started late. I met many of the hikers once as I moved through the pack. I often went by quiet tents since I hiked early and late. By the time I exited the Sierra I was up at the front of pack with very few hikers and hiker with a single hiker (different folks at different times) the whole second half. The reason I bring this up is so you know the trade offs you will be making. I was willing to trade off the social interaction, lack of town time etc for the only opportunity I would have to do a thru hike.

My journal can be found at postholer.com search for trail name Malto.

Lone Wolf
11-13-2012, 12:13
Is it crazy thinking that a thru hike can be completed with no zeros? Is it crazy thinking that I should be able to maintain 20 miles a day from the start if I'm in great shape? I maintained 20+ a day on a long train thru hike with out issues, besides time and Length of trail I don't see why the AT should be different. I'm not saying I'm pushing for a world record but how many people truly can get 20+ miles a day and still finish a thru hike. And for the record speed is not the main purpose for my thru hike attempt, I just hate spending all day in camp.

20 mpd with no days off is totally doable. i've known quite a few that have done it. have fun

squireel
11-13-2012, 12:16
gg-man thanks, I will take the time a read those. Karma13- thanks and wouldn't know life any other way

Marta
11-13-2012, 12:36
Warren Doyle's many Circle Expeditions have allowed quite a large number of people to complete the Trail with only a couple of zeroes.

I suspect one of the big factors, other than mental and physical toughness, is in arranging the logistics to make it possible. A lot of hapless hikers end up taking lots of zeroes because of equipment issues, missed mail drops, and other logistical screwups. I think you can go either way--have a rock-solid support person who will take care of your logistical issues (Brew Davis for Jennifer, for instance) or have a good plan for self-supply (I think Garlic bought food locally along the way).

It sounds as if you've done your homework and preparation and have a great shot at achieving your goal. If, while you're hiking, your goal shifts, well that's fine, too. It's YOUR hike.

Marta
11-13-2012, 12:40
Oops. I should have quoted ggman... What he said.

bigcranky
11-13-2012, 12:47
I'm just a section hiker, but I've done some 2-3 week sections. I find a full zero day makes it harder to get back on the trail. I like to hit town around noon, spend the afternoon doing chores (laundry, food shopping), then get a big dinner and a good night's rest in a motel or hostel, then a big breakfast, and hit the trail late morning. So I get 24 hours off, and do two short days in a row (<10 miles), and it just feels better for my body. It's also cheaper.

That's not to say that on a thru-hike I wouldn't need some longer breaks, though.

Slo-go'en
11-13-2012, 13:00
I think you can do it without any zeros. Heck, I also did the LT without any zeros - but I did have four nero's where I only did a few miles to get into town for the day. A nero can be almost as restfull as a zero if you get into town early and spend the night. Doing a 20 mile day AND getting into and/or out of town might be a bit harder to pull off on a consistant bases. That all depends on how far off the trail the town is, what you need to do there and how quickly you can get a ride in and out.

But don't rule out zero's completely. There are many reasons for taking a zero once in a while. For what ever reason, you just might not feel like hiking one day. Often that day off will be in town, but it could just as easily be a neat place on the trail you just want to hang out at for the day.

evyck da fleet
11-13-2012, 14:01
It's possible to average twenty miles a day the whole way. I met four or five hikers this year who finished in under four months but they all took a couple of zeros along the way. Then again they all had work or school deadlines which required them to limit their time in towns and around the shelters.

As for zero zeros, I don't know anyone who did this. You'll take one if and when you want or need one. I finished my hike in 4 1/2 months and found time for 22 zerosy and a two mile day for various reasons: six days visiting a friend in CT, 4 days at Trail Days to recover from a sprain in my foot/leg, three days because of sickness(noro virus twice), a day at Harpers Ferry when I decided I wanted to go into DC the day before(fyi I hiked 80 miles the previous three days so you can still average 20 a day with zeros) and a two mile day when i decided to stay in town most of teh next day to go see the latest Batman movie with hikers I had just met. The rest of the day my body just told me I needed a day of rest.

map man
11-13-2012, 21:46
Looking at the list of completing NOBO thru-hikers that I put together for the Hiking Rates article, out of 240 hikers in that database one hiker did it with no zero days and nine hikers did it with fewer than five zero days. So, yes it's been done, but it is rare.

The posts on this thread to pay close attention to are the ones from people who have done the type of hike you have in mind: Garlic, gg-man and rickb come to mind.

squireel
11-13-2012, 22:46
Thanks map man. Looks like I have an up hill battle. I love a good chanalge, looks like iv found one. And like I said before it doesn't happen I will sill enjoy the trail knowing it won.

JAK
11-13-2012, 23:00
I would say plan no zeros, and never two in a row, but don't beat yourself up.
Always focus on what you are achieving, not where you think you are falling short.

turtle fast
11-13-2012, 23:34
No zeros can be done, but once you get to say Damascus its pretty hard to resist not staying overnight there...especially if you get there and Trail Days is going on.

jakedatc
11-14-2012, 00:48
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/miscgreen/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Don H http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/buttonsgreen/viewpost-right.png (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1361127#post1361127)

Ditto.

In my section hiking, the experience is more in the people that I meet than in the trail I've hiked. How many people will be able to keep up with you?

Otoh, if you view this as an athletic event and that is how you get your giggles, by all means do it while you are young, and you may be inspired to do it "like everyone else" a second time and, as I like to say "Experience the experience".
Whatever you do, enjoy it enough to share the joy with others.
:)

once again HYOH hypocrits..

some people aren't lazy sitting in camp until 10am.. some aren't lazy who stop at camp by 3pm after hiking 8 miles. some aren't slow and out of shape who can't do 15-25mi/day. some would rather see 10 overlooks than stare at brown rocks longer.

sounds nice in reverse doesn't it.. except it's almost never said because fast hikers RARELY EVER criticize how slower hikers hike or want to hike.

wornoutboots
11-14-2012, 01:52
Seriously Jake GIVE IT A REST!!!! Great Luck Squireel!!! Go For it!!

jakedatc
11-14-2012, 09:23
Seriously Jake GIVE IT A REST!!!! Great Luck Squireel!!! Go For it!!

no. when people tell someone to slow down even in the SPEED HIKING forum.. there is a problem.

WingedMonkey
11-16-2012, 08:58
no. when people tell someone to slow down even in the SPEED HIKING forum.. there is a problem.

Sis you do a zero in Damascus during your thru-hike?

WingedMonkey
11-16-2012, 08:59
Sis you do a zero in Damascus during your thru-hike?

Did you do a zero in Damascus during your thru-hike?

Need to re-paint that s key.

JAK
11-16-2012, 09:30
Did you do a zero in Damascus during your thru-hike?

Need to re-paint that s key.Ah, you're all a bunch of diddied! :-)

DavidNH
11-16-2012, 09:53
Squireel.. Let me say simply.. there is no way you or anyone else is going to thru hike a 2200 mile trail such as the AT without one single zero day. You will need rest, time to resupply, maybe wait for mail drop etc. This is absolutely nuts. Zero days ARE mostly spend in towns, not camp. Not only is it part of the experience, but you need the time for chores. based on my experienced.. the yahoos that did 30 mile days lost the time they gained by taking MORE zero days in town.

Malto
11-16-2012, 10:19
Squireel.. Let me say simply.. there is no way you or anyone else is going to thru hike a 2200 mile trail such as the AT without one single zero day. You will need rest, time to resupply, maybe wait for mail drop etc. This is absolutely nuts. Zero days ARE mostly spend in towns, not camp. Not only is it part of the experience, but you need the time for chores. based on my experienced.. the yahoos that did 30 mile days lost the time they gained by taking MORE zero days in town.

David,
you are flat wrong! First saying that nobody could hike a long trail without a zero is wrong since it has been done multiple times. Maybe you can't do it but that doesn't mean it can't be done. Second, your statement about the yahoos doing 30's taking more zeros is also inaccurate. While I don't follow as many of the speed hikes on the AT as I do on the PCT, I will guarantee those that are doing 30 mpd CONSISTANTLY will take less zeros on average than lower mileage hikers.

To the OP:
I think the best advice on here was to plan no zeros and adjust your plan as needed.

Lone Wolf
11-16-2012, 10:40
Squireel.. Let me say simply.. there is no way you or anyone else is going to thru hike a 2200 mile trail such as the AT without one single zero day. the yahoos that did 30 mile days lost the time they gained by taking MORE zero days in town.

wrong and wrong. you really are way off on this

jakedatc
11-16-2012, 10:46

Ahem...

Andrew skurka did it off the couch with 4 in 95 days starting out with no long distance experience at all... given that he is probably training to do this quickly and without zeros.. maybe he'll end up with 1 or 2 but maybe none at all.

joshuasdad
11-16-2012, 10:54
I think you would have to be quite lucky to be able to hike 100+ straight days averaging 20 mph without a zero. No Lyme disease, blisters, equipment failures, twisted ankles, blown out knees, chafing, broken bones, head injuries, puncture injuries, diseases, viruses, crypto, supply issues, hurricanes, snowicanes, significant other issues, financial issues, weddings, funerals... I'm sure that 100s of other reasons for needing a zero are not on this list.

Plus all of the reasons why someone your age may just want to take a zero (Trail Days, DC/NY trip, aquablazing, pink blazing, etc.).

But there's no reason not to try.

RED-DOG
11-16-2012, 13:33
No most hiker's can't do 20s right from the start but it depends on how much exsperience you already have and you don't have to take zero's in towns a person can find a nice spot beside a creek or pond save your money and zero in the woods, i have yet to meet a thru-hiker that has never taken a zero, every once in a while you are going to need to rest your body, after a while you will learn to listen to your body do what it tells you to do if you don't you will walk your self right off the trail. Good luck and happy hiking. RED-DOG

cliffordbarnabus
11-16-2012, 23:17
you could do infinity zeros, zero zero's, 37 zeros, or negative zeros. whatever you want to do is what you will do and once you've done what you want to do, you'll realize how things were done.

squireel
11-16-2012, 23:56
The day I start my hike, April 1, I will start a new thread. I will title it squirrels speed attempt. I will up date it every night I have service on my phone with my location. If I fail at no zeros I will still succeed in completing the trail. Now I can no see the future but I have tested and tested my gear, I'm comfterable with it. I have a base weight of 12 pounds. I enjoy a test of ones own will power. Thanks to all that are supportive, every one else can hike there 12 miles a day and enjoy there town days. I'm not asking you not to, just quit telling me that I can't hike with out them. I'm not chasing down the record. I'm pushing my self. I want to see what my personal boundaries are. Some will never understand that and I don't ask you to.

See y'all on the trail

Mike2012
11-17-2012, 02:38
Zeroes rule!

Dogwood
11-17-2012, 03:01
While hiking zero miles in a day is common there really is no such thing as a "zero" day as in you do nothing or have zero experiences that day. Having a day where you hike zero miles does not mean you have to sit in camp all day. Hiking zero miles in a day simply means you experienced something other than hiking with the objective to cover miles that day.

Thru-hiking IS NOT just about hiking! Think about it. This revelation might improve your life experiences when hiking! or not hiking!

squireel
11-17-2012, 03:54
For those saying being social is a major part of the trail, I know this. I have section hiked most of the trail already, about 1200 miles of it 2 weeks at a time. I'm not attempting this for a social event. I'm trying to push my self further than iv ever pushed my self. Chill out with the slow down and smell the roses comments, I have smelled the roses, I know what they smell like. I don't know how it fells to put 2180 miles under my feet in 109 days. Again y'all have yall goals and I have mine. I am not right and you are not wrong. We just see 2 different shades of blue.

moytoy
11-17-2012, 06:19
Who said "It's just Walking"?
Now it's just walking and talking I guess.
I'm tired just reading...:)

jakedatc
11-17-2012, 12:47
While hiking zero miles in a day is common there really is no such thing as a "zero" day as in you do nothing or have zero experiences that day. Having a day where you hike zero miles does not mean you have to sit in camp all day. Hiking zero miles in a day simply means you experienced something other than hiking with the objective to cover miles that day.

Thru-hiking IS NOT just about hiking! Think about it. This revelation might improve your life experiences when hiking! or not hiking!

Hey *******.. how about letting the guy hike the way he wants to and ****.

jj2044
11-17-2012, 13:38
For those saying being social is a major part of the trail, I know this. I have section hiked most of the trail already, about 1200 miles of it 2 weeks at a time. I'm not attempting this for a social event. I'm trying to push my self further than iv ever pushed my self. Chill out with the slow down and smell the roses comments, I have smelled the roses, I know what they smell like. I don't know how it fells to put 2180 miles under my feet in 109 days. Again y'all have yall goals and I have mine. I am not right and you are not wrong. We just see 2 different shades of blue.

here are the facts, can you do it with no 0 days? YES !!! are you more or less likely to finish if you take 0 zeros, LESS, you body is going to break down, simple facts... no matter how good of shape you are in your body WILL break down at some point. ... YOU already knew the answer to your question before you asked it. . Also to resupply you will lose several hours, i dont know how many days of food your planning to take with ya, but before hot springs, only the noc and neals are quick and easy to get in and out of.... haiawassee( spelled wrong) and franklin you would be lucky yo get there and back within 3 hours... and thats with alot luck, or money depending on if you set up shuttles. Most peoples plans dont last the first week once they are out there.

Dogwood
11-17-2012, 14:14
Hey *******.. how about letting the guy hike the way he wants to and ****.

Hey, stop jumping to crap I didn't say or imply. And, please, stop with the name calling. By all fu#king means HYOH unless you start hurting me or someone else!

Malto
11-17-2012, 14:44
here are the facts, can you do it with no 0 days? YES !!! are you more or less likely to finish if you take 0 zeros, LESS, you body is going to break down, simple facts... no matter how good of shape you are in your body WILL break down at some point.

Please enlighten us on the data behind these alleged "facts". I love how people take their own limited data and puff it up into universal facts. If I were advising someone on how to do a fast hike I would do no zeros and very consistent miles each day. There is more "body breakdown" from the mileage heros, folks that do significantly higher mile days than their average than from consistent mile no zero days. That can easily be seen in countless journal from all the long trails.

squireel
11-17-2012, 15:37
][/QUOTE]

Fact- this is your opinion

squireel
11-17-2012, 15:38
Another fact- I'll figure out how to quote people eventually

squireel
11-17-2012, 15:40
here are the facts, can you do it with no 0 days? YES !!! are you more or less likely to finish if you take 0 zeros, LESS, you body is going to break down, simple facts... no matter how good of shape you are in your body WILL break down at some point. ... YOU already knew the answer to your question before you asked it. . Also to resupply you will lose several hours, i dont know how many days of food your planning to take with ya, but before hot springs, only the noc and neals are quick and easy to get in and out of.... haiawassee( spelled wrong) and franklin you would be lucky yo get there and back within 3 hours... and thats with alot luck, or money depending on if you set up shuttles. Most peoples plans dont last the first week once they are out there.

This is your opinion not fact

squireel
11-17-2012, 15:40

This is your opinion not fact

hikerboy57
11-17-2012, 15:52
well youve learned how to quote, anyway.

hikerboy57
11-17-2012, 15:55
sometimes it is prudent to take a zero whther you need to or not:
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/8/4/8/1/dsc00663.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showimage.php?i=47855&original=1&catid=member&imageuser=28481)

squireel
11-17-2012, 16:10
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/8/4/8/1/dsc00663.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showimage.php?i=47855&original=1&catid=member&imageuser=28481)

There is a deference between pushing your self and being suicidal, and I will agree with this

Marta
11-17-2012, 17:17
The day I start my hike, April 1, I will start a new thread. I will title it squirrels speed attempt. I will up date it every night I have service on my phone with my location. If I fail at no zeros I will still succeed in completing the trail. Now I can no see the future but I have tested and tested my gear, I'm comfterable with it. I have a base weight of 12 pounds. I enjoy a test of ones own will power. Thanks to all that are supportive, every one else can hike there 12 miles a day and enjoy there town days. I'm not asking you not to, just quit telling me that I can't hike with out them. I'm not chasing down the record. I'm pushing my self. I want to see what my personal boundaries are. Some will never understand that and I don't ask you to.

See y'all on the trail

Very nice! I'll be looking forward to following your hike. Good luck with it!

evyck da fleet
11-17-2012, 18:13
Good luck.

Out of curiosity what are your plans for rest? Do you plan to do a couple of two mile days into or out of town? Or are your rest days just going to be in the 10-15 mile range?

squireel
11-17-2012, 18:23
Good luck.

Out of curiosity what are your plans for rest? Do you plan to do a couple of two mile days into or out of town? Or are your rest days just going to be in the 10-15 mile range?

My plan is sun up to sun down, rest where needed in-between. My goal is to finish in or under 109 days. I am ok with neros if they are needed. I am still planning but my hopes are to use as many resupply points that are right off the trail as possible that eliminates town time. Again that's all subject to change but that is the goal

brian039
11-17-2012, 18:38
Remember to hike your hike. If you decide to change your mind 2 days in and want to hike at a slower pace and take zeros then by all means do it. Not doing that out of stubbornness is not hiking your hike, instead it is hiking your preconceived notion of what you thought your hike was going to be. Good luck and make lots of memories!

Old Hiker
11-17-2012, 19:17

Ahhhh, but Grasshopper, is a "true" zero if you were forced to take it? What if you only moved 100 feet that day? 10 feet that day? Rolled over in your tent in a northward direction? Is THAT a zero?

Who the hell cares? Hike your hike - enjoy yourself - post about it later. Yeeeeesh.

Dogwood
11-17-2012, 20:02
Because I'm a bit confused on your goal, Squireel, is this a publically disclosed speed hike attempt or just an attempt to start out of the gate doing 20 MPD, maintaining that MPD avg, and planning for no zeros? I ask because I know those who actually accomplish thru-hiking speed records or do speedy thru-hikes who take neros, and even a rare zero, and I know thru-hikers who didn't attempt a speed thru-hiking record or speedy thru-hike who didn''t take any zeros. I'll ask you something else, why are you wasting your time and energy starting a thread asking a question to get other folk's opinions when you aren't ready to accept those opinions. Did you expect a pat on the back from everyone when posing such questions? Did you expect every response to be "go for it, I know you can do it?"

Every champion, even the speed hiking champs I know, are not only determined, which you are, sometimes to the point of being obsessed, which I think you are, and have an unyielding belief in themselves, which I think you have, they are also well organized, well prepared, typically have an intimate understanding of the obstacles, crystal clear as to their objectives, willing to consider wise instruction, and DO NOT waste time and energy elliciting and debating responses from possible naysayers! They go out and do it or make a damn good attempt at doing it!

Perhaps, a better strategy and thread starter question would be something like, "how do I do a speedy(110 days or less) thru-hike of the AT during typical thru-hiking season doing 20 MPD out of the gate avg 20 MPD throughout the thru-hike with no planned "zeros". Now, if you had done that you have my, and other people's, attention focused on the "how to's" rather than offering BS opinions that might be counter productive to your goal. IMHO, when you posted your very first comments, it raised red flags in my mind because you left out the logistics and asking about the "how to's." Just trying to help where I can NOT slam you to the floor.

GeneralLee10
11-20-2012, 00:13
Well said Dogwood.

rickb
11-20-2012, 07:56
Squireel,

A concept related to not taking zeros is the prospect of passing by some of the "mandatory" off-trail resupply points.

In some cases this would be just a strategey to find the right balance between carying a bit extra food to avoid the time delay of walking/hitching off the Trail, and in other cases you might pass by these stops simply to spend more uniterupted time in the woods.

In the past, I think a great many hikers stayed on the Trail longer between stops than they do now-- regardless of the pace they are walking. Now, it seems there is almost a predefined schedule (subject to minor tweeking, ofcourse) that most hikers take. On my hike, I had quite a few long stretches that hikers would probably not consider now-- Gorham to Stratton come to mind. For me that was the norm-- and not because I was hiking particulary fast. Overall, I averaged just 15 miles per day.

That might be simply because hikers are smarter now, and they have the best approach dialed in. But pehaps not.

Just a thought,

Whether you take any or many zeros, the number of trips off the Trail (for a few hours or a night) impact one's hike in a similar way as the number of zeros, I think. Perhaps even more so.

Don H
11-20-2012, 09:40
Apparently you didn't like my statement:
"The question you might want to ask yourself is why are you thru-hiking? And why the hurry?"

once again HYOH hypocrits..

Why is this statement hypritical?

I make no judgements one about the OP.

colorado_rob
11-20-2012, 11:48
Apparently you didn't like my statement:
"The question you might want to ask yourself is why are you thru-hiking? And why the hurry?"

Why is this statement hypritical?

I make no judgements one about the OP. I would say "hypocritical" is a bit strong, but I personally do get annoyed when people say "what's the hurry". Just like I might suppose that those like to hike slower might get annoyed if I would say "why do you hike so slow". So yes, that statement is a bit anti-HYOH.

Quite simply, sounding like a broken record, when I do long hikes I like to HIKE, not sit around. There is no "hurry", I just enjoy hiking more than sitting. I thru hike to, er, HIKE, not sit. And I'll enjoy the views just as much as those hiking a slower pace.

So I like 20 mile days for that precise reason, and I don't really enjoy the town stops much because again, I'm out there to hike, not visit towns. So I do get the OP's desire to try a non-zero approach to this thing. Being O.L.D. myself, however, I would simply physically not be able to do this and will have to take a few zeros. The OP does not have this O.L.D. thing.

Don H
11-20-2012, 13:29
Well "why the hurry?" was a question, not a judgement. There's lost of reasons to hike fast like:

Time restrictions due to starting a new job or the next semester of college.
The challenge of hiking fast, some people are competitive or like pushing their personal limits.
A late start going north and trying to get to K before it closes.
Keeping up with a fast group.
Some people just like to hike fast and some just do it naturally.

Never really mattered to me. The reason for my post was I was wondering if the OP had a reason or goal for trying to go non-stop, without any zeros. If the OP wants to do that then I say Good Luck and I hope you enjoy your hike. But I think calling someone a hypocrite for asking a question is a little over the top.

You can learn a lot about someone here by just reading their past posts. Feel free to review mine.

RED-DOG
11-20-2012, 15:52
I have to ask, Why are you Thru-Hiking? Why are you in a Hurry ? and why not slow down and smell the roses ?, I have tell you what some one said to me in 06 ( the slow ones don't make it and the fast ones you don't even know was their and the ones in the middle their the ones that has all the fun ) most people only gets one shot at a thru-hike i am a lucky one i have had three successful thru-hikes and a few attempts and i am in the process of planning my next thru-hike, if this is your only shot why blow it ? RED-DOG

colorado_rob
11-20-2012, 16:13
I have to ask, Why are you Thru-Hiking? Why are you in a Hurry ? and why not slow down and smell the roses ?, I have tell you what some one said to me in 06 ( the slow ones don't make it and the fast ones you don't even know was their and the ones in the middle their the ones that has all the fun ) most people only gets one shot at a thru-hike i am a lucky one i have had three successful thru-hikes and a few attempts and i am in the process of planning my next thru-hike, if this is your only shot why blow it ? RED-DOG This response is a joke, right? Forgive my naivety here... I'm fairly new and don't know folks very well.

RED-DOG
11-20-2012, 17:24
I think you are a joke Colorado_rob, That response was for the OP not you or anybody else.

hikerboy57
11-20-2012, 18:42
there is a difference between hiking fast and taking no zeros.

JAK
11-20-2012, 19:33
Everyone has their own too slow, too fast, and just right.

rickb
11-20-2012, 19:39
One of the shortcomings of a site like this is that people seldom share much of thier background in a given thread, leaving one without context.

Red-dog can corrrect me if I don't have the facts 100% right (I did a search, but that was earlier today) but I think he walked close to 20 MPD on his three hikes-- a bit shy of that (18 perhaps?), but not by much. At least for the southern half of the Trail. Something like 60 days to get to Harpers Ferry IIRC.

Leaves me wondering why someone who hiked that fast not once but three times seems to be suggesting that a man half his age dial back on a GOAL of 20 miles days. Probably the voice of experience. Or even regrets. But without hearing the personal context one is left wondering-- or thinking it was joke (which I am sure it was not).

RED-DOG
11-21-2012, 11:52
On my 96 Flip-Flop i took the full 6 months well maybe a couple of days shy of the 6 months i averaged 15-18 miles a day a nero once a week but i also was hiking with some body, on my 06 NOBO i averaged 18 -20 MPD that was in the southern parts but when i got to VA i kicked it up a notch and started 25+ MPD and in most of the Mid-Atlantic parts i did 30 MPD then when i got to New England i went back to 15 or so, it took me close to 5 months, same thing a nero once a week, and then this year ( 2012 ) i did 20 MPD right off Springer MT and averaged 20-25 MPD the whole trip except for a few small sections in New England, and i only took 3 zero's the entire trip and it only took 4.5 months, and i also have had a couple of failed attempts mainly because i pushed myself way too hard, but what i am saying to the OP is that i do regret doing both my NOBO's at a faster pace, i am not questioning his abilities of doing 20 MPD with no zero's, when you get finished you will regret not taking more time because the actual hiking of the AT, thats only half the esperience the other half is esperiencing the towns and it's people and of course HYOH i totally agree with that, and yes i am planning another Thru-Hike on the AT for 2014, and i will take the full 6 months, Good luck to you and i really do hope you make it but don't push yourself off the trail. RED-DOG

RED-DOG
11-21-2012, 12:15
I got to add one more thing Thru-Hiking the AT is something you will cherish your whole life. and for your information i am 40 years old.

Malto
11-21-2012, 12:17
I had the pleasure yesterday of meeting and hiking with Swami. For those who haven't heard of him, he is on track to complete a calendar year triple crown. Swami is an incredibly strong hiker. He finished the pct in 85 days and the CDT was complete in 74. Assuming he completes the AT on time he will finish the AT in under 75. In spite of these fast times Swami had to take some unplanned zeros. On the PCT he was in the hospital because of the poodle Dog Bush for 5 days. On the AT he lost 2.5 days due to Sandy because he was unfortunately in the Whites at the time. So even with a hiker as strong as Swami with over 10,000 miles of hiking in the last 18 months unexpected zeros may be needed. But his case also shows that planned zero are similarly not needed by some. It sounds like the OP has an aspirational goal, minimize or avoid zeros and push his limits. As long as he is flexible during his hike he has a sound strategy, though likely not a common one. Hiking plans have a half life of a single step.

Dogwood
11-21-2012, 13:48
IMO, that's REALLY starting to get up there thruing the CDT in 74 days. That's incredibly fast for THAT TRAIL, in my mind at least. It's in excess of averaging 36 MPD if he took a 2700 mile CDT route. The CDT is not the AT(or even the PCT) though in that the AT is a definitively defined basically continuous obvious tread(when the weather doesn't obscure the trail) well blazed well documented trail with shelters not requiring off trail hiking or navigation where the CDT has oodles of alternates, little to NO CDT signage in places, no tread on some sections, and requires navigation in some cross country parts that can make one CDTers thru a very different 3100 mile hike and another CDTers hike a very different 2700 mile thru. It's one of the joys, TO ME, of thruing the CDT.

If it's his goal to complete a calendar yr Triple Crown. I'm rooting for him. I always enjoy hearing about someone actually acheiving the difficult, the impossible, or the unlikely. Yeah! It inspires me.

jersey joe
11-21-2012, 13:57
Is it crazy thinking that a thru hike can be completed with no zeros? Is it crazy thinking that I should be able to maintain 20 miles a day from the start if I'm in great shape? I maintained 20+ a day on a long train thru hike with out issues, besides time and Length of trail I don't see why the AT should be different. I'm not saying I'm pushing for a world record but how many people truly can get 20+ miles a day and still finish a thru hike. And for the record a speed record is not the main purpose for my thru hike attempt, I just hate spending all day in camp.
It is crazy to think you can complete a thru hike with no zeros and average 20 miles a day. I know because I did it. You need to be a little crazy and a LOT stubborn to pull this off.

hikerboy57
11-21-2012, 14:35
I think the bigger issue is finishing the trail with a definite time constraint. 20 miles the day can be done. no zeros can be done but that part takes a little bit of luck with weather and injuries.
and of course drive and determination.

Rasty
11-21-2012, 15:04
IMO, that's REALLY starting to get up there thruing the CDT in 74 days. That's incredibly fast for THAT TRAIL, in my mind at least. It's in excess of averaging 36 MPD if he took a 2700 mile CDT route. The CDT is not the AT(or even the PCT) though in that the AT is a definitively defined basically continuous obvious tread(when the weather doesn't obscure the trail) well blazed well documented trail with shelters not requiring off trail hiking or navigation where the CDT has oodles of alternates, little to NO CDT signage in places, no tread on some sections, and requires navigation in some cross country parts that can make one CDTers thru a very different 3100 mile hike and another CDTers hike a very different 2700 mile thru. It's one of the joys, TO ME, of thruing the CDT.

If it's his goal to complete a calendar yr Triple Crown. I'm rooting for him. I always enjoy hearing about someone actually acheiving the difficult, the impossible, or the unlikely. Yeah! It inspires me.

I'm actually in awe of the single year Triple Crown. That's the kind of crazy that gets things done.

squireel
11-21-2012, 16:16
I think the bigger issue is finishing the trail with a definite time constraint. 20 miles the day can be done. no zeros can be done but that part takes a little bit of luck with weather and injuries.
and of course drive and determination.

I have no real time constraint. I have a 6 month leave of absence from work. If i need all 6 to finish the trail I will use them. If not I'll be on a beach some wear with a surf board and a hammock. My plan is as loose as they come. Just a goal to do a 100-110 day hike.

hikerboy57
11-21-2012, 16:30
I have no real time constraint. I have a 6 month leave of absence from work. If i need all 6 to finish the trail I will use them. If not I'll be on a beach some wear with a surf board and a hammock. My plan is as loose as they come. Just a goal to do a 100-110 day hike. now that is a good plan.

Dogwood
11-21-2012, 21:50
I have no real time constraint... If i need all 6 to finish the trail I will use them. If not I'll be on a beach some wear with a surf board and a hammock. My plan is as loose as they come. Just a goal to do a 100-110 day hike.

See, there's more inconsistent statements and possible waffling as to your already, at least to me, hazy non-concrete goals, Squireel. Do the math. It doesn't take 6 months to do a 2170 mile AT thru-hike while averaging 20 MPD and taking no zeros. That a 109 day thru-hike.

IMHO, I don't think it all that difficult avgeraging 20 MPD on an AT thru. It's certainly not crazy! All it is, is hiking 10 hrs per day at the very average walking pace of 2 miles per hour to accomplish that, which I think is quite attainable by a great many thru-hikers.

Not taking any zeros is another thing though. I think it would be generally harder BUT certainly attainable(not crazy) PROVIDED - you are fortunate enough to not get seriously injured, tired, sick, etc to the degree that you find you can't hike for just a day. It means never experiencing or being prepared for integral gear breakdowns, swapping out old gear for new gear, etc. It not only means that you need to be consistent and durable with respect to your physical self(body) and hiking style you also have to be durable and consistent with respect to your mind and thoughts, which I think is harder for most people than the physical part. You would need to control the contrary to your goal (negative) thoughts, that will inevitably arise, in respect to not taking any zeros. You would need to control your thoughts in a "well above average" fashion for a 100-110 day duration. Um, definitely an uphill battle for the vast majority of people! For example, just THOUGHTFULLY consider this and see how you feel about it now without actually even being there experiencing it - When other thru-hikers, even your hiking aquaintences, perhaps an "interesting" significant other thru-hiker, etc are staying in town for a zero day, drinking, partying, resting, healing, doing chores, swimming, visiting nearby off trail sites, avoiding inclement weather, resupplying, waiting for new gear, whatever - you'll ALWAYS be heading back out to AVOID the complete zero. YEAH, that can be an ADDITIONAL mental challenge to what many consider to already be a challenge, completing their first AT thru-hike! In itself, most AT thru-hiker wannabes don't complete their intended thru-hikes. You have to rise above all that!

I'd would like you to take notice of something, especially since you indicated you have upto 6 months to complete your thru-hike AND it seems you are not going after any speed records - I never mentioned speed or going fast. I actually think that a gotta go fast speed mentality could be counter productive to the goals of doing a moderately paced, 2 - 2 1/2 mph, thru-hike with no zeros, intending to finish in 100-110 days!

I 'd like to make a suggestion to you since you have upto 6 months to complete an AT thru-hike and are not going after a speed record - simply hit the trail in physical shape, be patient, at least initially in regards to attaining that 20 mpd average, work your way into your hike, don't go out too fast, too hard, too soon(that's how many hikers, especially those who have never completed a long distance thru-hike, who aren't in shape, or who aren't familiar with their gear and bodies get hurt), plan for no zeros, but be adaptable(we don't all know what the future will hold or what will happen!, never lose sight of your primary goal which is to complete your AT thru-hike), and get mentally tougher, meaning, while still at home, start consistently placing yourself outside of your present comfort zone(s), like when friends and family invite you to enjoy pepperoni pizza and a pitcher of suds on a friday night after having toiled all week at a job you don't like and you have a wad of fresh green dead presidents burning a hole in your pocket, say no "I'm staying home alone and eating cold Ramen noodles", when rowdy others are huddled up on the couch warm inside the house on a cold rainy Monday night watching an NFL game with your favorite team( I guess the Saints) in contention for the conference title, go outside in the rain and cold to wander around some and then set up and sleep outside in your tent avoiding viewing the game and enjoying the company of your friends and family. See where I'm going?

Take into account the mental toughness required to do no zeros, regardless of being fortunate not to get physically sidelined, by considering what Sir Edmund Hillary is quoted as saying( I might paraphrase a bit here) - "We climb to the summit not to conquer the mountain but to conquer ourselves." IMHO, the biggest obstacle you are going to need to overcome in order to do what you propose, which is as I said before, certainly possible, is the one going on between your ears!

Have success in your endeavors.

Nasty Dog Virus
11-22-2012, 17:33
Add Content

frisbeefreek
11-23-2012, 21:41
I didn't take a zero on my AT thru. Shortest day was something like 12-14miles. I took a 3 zeros on the PCT and hated it - My body doesn't know what to do when it's not moving (similar analogy is that the Tour de France cyclists ride 50 miles on their "rest day" during the tour so their bodies don't seize up).

I felt like trail culture expects people to take zeros, when in reality, there's no compelling reason to do so. I'm a solo hiker, so I move at my own pace. I'm also assuming you are not taking a zero for a medical issue (sprain/strain).

garlic08
11-23-2012, 21:55
...I felt like trail culture expects people to take zeros, when in reality, there's no compelling reason to do so... I'm also assuming you are not taking a zero for a medical issue (sprain/strain).

It's good to finally hear from a couple of hikers who actually hiked the AT without a zero.

I totally agree here. There seems to be an expectation/culture on the AT to hike six days and rest on the seventh. You see that in so many posts. I don't get where that comes from. Maybe it's because there's so much time available to hike the AT. Out West, the trails are longer and the season is shorter.

I also get antsy when I'm not moving, though not to the level of the TDF cyclists. I just cycled cross country, 4500 miles in 55 days, self-contained, again no zeros except to visit family in the Midwest. Though I love my family, even that was kind of a chore, sitting still for a few days.

Hill Ape
11-24-2012, 02:32
It's good to finally hear from a couple of hikers who actually hiked the AT without a zero.

I totally agree here. There seems to be an expectation/culture on the AT to hike six days and rest on the seventh. You see that in so many posts. I don't get where that comes from. .

God said rest on the seventh day... Vince Gill said go rest high on a mountain.... who am I to argue with God and Vince?

HikerMom58
11-24-2012, 10:05
God said rest on the seventh day... Vince Gill said go rest high on a mountain.... who am I to argue with God and Vince?

Interesting thought, Hill Ape ... I also understand that some people find it very hard to sit still... I'm not saying that's right or wrong. :) It is what it is.... :)

Del Q
11-24-2012, 10:09
Although I am (currently) a Section Hiker, I have stopped making plans for each hike........I know when I am starting and have a pretty good idea of when I will finish that leg of my journey, in between I just "go with the flow". Have taken 2 zero's in 6 years, one to help hostel owners out, the last one was in Vermont, 5 days of rain, Inn at the Long Trail, was sore, everything was dry, woke up to harder rain than the day before.

After a great breakfast I decide to take the day off and relax................was a great day, the rain passed, was fresh the next morning and finally had some great fall views and picture opportunities. Hike into Hanover was really nice.

If there is anything that I need to do more in my life is SLOW DOWN, if that means taking a zero day so be it................in both cases it adding significantly to the overall experience.

Dogwood
11-24-2012, 13:51
Yeah, that's why they call you frsibeeFREEK! LOL! ONLY KIDDING! ONLY KIDDING!

I so appreciate Garlic08's and Frisbeefreek's, posts here especially since Frisbeefreek has done what the OP is proposing - taking no zeros.

Even though - MY HIKING STYLE - also, VERY MUCH, maintains a "go with the flow" element, and I do take zeros ocassionally on virtually all of my long distance hikes, I'm also aware that it may be a hiking style that may only be right for me. I try not pushing my or anyone else's hiking philosophy on anyone else I do try to offer some different perspectives to possibly open some closed minds. This might offend some folks who have difficulty considering or accepting new or opposing viewpoints. I'm a tolerant person in general and that also applies to people with different hiking styles. I do indeed, happily accept the HYOH philosophy. I'm also almost exclusively a solo hiker. I only note this because I desire for my posts to be taken in context with who I am and my intentions. I don't expect anyone other than myself to hike like I hike! But, this thread isn't about me it's about the OP's proposed hike. I'll come full circle to this.

My body doesn't know what to do when it's not moving. - Frisbeefreek

This so aptly describes me too, yet I virtually always have taken zeros on all my long distance hikes. I'm not exagerrating about the "I'm always moving description" either. I don't take zeros to stop moving or to rest or to sit in camp. I consider myself a long distance hiker not a camper. Quite to the contrary, I'm VERY busy moving around and NOT RESTING on my zeros. I've never been injured, depressed, sick, exhausted, disgusted, etc to the point where I couldn't continue hiking EVERYDAY and had to take a zero for any of those reasons. Sometimes, just as Frisbeefreek noted in TDF athletes, I can tighten up while engaged in a long distance hike if not hiking for extended periods sometimes even if not hiking for only an hour or two. All the reasons why I take zeros or what I do during a zero isn't all that important what is important to note is that folks take zeros for many different reasons to do many different things. And, why I detest, to some degree, the phrase taking a zero day. It doesn't necessarily mean you do zero things or that you do zero moving which are biases or incorrect assumptions too. That phrase can be misleading or arouse negative conotations in some hiker's minds especially speedy or speed record attempting hikers or possibly even in the minds of those who don't like to stop moving or get antsy when not moving. It's also the primary reason why I originally considered making a post to this thread. When someone states, as the OP has, I don't plan on taking any zeros - "because I don't like spending all day in camp", that's a rather limted view of why people take a zero, even why he might take or need a zero during his own hike! I don't expect, advise, or suggest to anyone, including the OP, that they need to take zeros! Everyone is different. Thank goodness. To each his own and that includes doing a hike with no zeros if that's someone's goal.

I felt(feel) like trail culture expects people to take zeros... - Frisbeefreek

There seems to be an expectation/culture on the AT to hike six days and rest on the seventh. You see that in so many posts. I don't get where that comes from. Maybe it's because there's so much time available to hike the AT. - Garlic08

I totally agree with both these observations too.