PDA

View Full Version : Finishing the A.T., in April/May 2013- From New York State to Katahdin?

Hoofit
11-13-2012, 09:33
What are my chances of being able to finish the trail up in April/May, as far as climate/ snow is concerned?
Those are the months that I can get off as I need to be back here in Florida in early June...
I have a little over 700 miles left.....
And my feet are already itching!!

tdoczi
11-13-2012, 10:10
probably not impossible but i personally wouldnt try it unless we have another freakishly low snow winter. youd be fine until VT. if you have to be done by early june i'd reccomend flying out of the gate in roder be prepared to crawl once you get through MA. the other approach would be to go slow and hope the snow is gone when you get there but i dont think you can wait long enough given your time frame.

Grampie
11-13-2012, 13:12
Most of the higher elevations in Vermont and New Hampshire that the AT crosses will have quite a lot of snow on them until at least mid May.

Slo-go'en
11-13-2012, 13:28
I wouldn't even think about it. You'll be cold, wet and up to your knees in mud. Early spring hiking in New England is strongly discouraged as that is the time of year the trail is most easily damaged. Although most, if not all the snow will be gone by then, the stream crossings in Maine will be dangerous with the high water levels typical that time of year. Plus there is a good chance you'll hit the start of Black Fly season. Finally, much of VT, NH and Maine shuts down for "Mud season". The ski season is over and the summer season doesn't really start until after July 4th, so that is the time of year a lot of motels and other buisness take time off. Do what ever it takes to come back up here in the fall when the hiking is pleasent and not an ordeal.

That why I go south to hike in April and May, where I'll be cold, wet and up to my knees in mud :) (but not as often or for as long)

jakedatc
11-13-2012, 13:35
I wouldn't even think about it. You'll be cold, wet and up to your knees in mud. Early spring hiking in New England is strongly discouraged as that is the time of year the trail is most easily damaged. Although most, if not all the snow will be gone by then, the stream crossings in Maine will be dangerous with the high water levels typical that time of year. Plus there is a good chance you'll hit the start of Black Fly season. Finally, much of VT, NH and Maine shuts down for "Mud season". The ski season is over and the summer season doesn't really start until after July 4th, so that is the time of year a lot of motels and other buisness take time off. Do what ever it takes to come back up here in the fall when the hiking is pleasent and not an ordeal.

That why I go south to hike in April and May, where I'll be cold, wet and up to my knees in mud :) (but not as often or for as long)

+1 not going to work..

Blissful
11-13-2012, 19:43
Trail in VT esssentially closed d/t mud issues then.

Hoofit
11-14-2012, 17:36
Trail in VT esssentially closed d/t mud issues then.Not the answers that I was hoping for but kind of what I expected to hear....I would. dearly love to wrap it up in AUgust/September but that is my best chance of work here in FLorida as a boat captain
Why is it that things are so slow here in North Florida in the winter and than when work opens up, th trail is all mud and meltdowns...
Ah well, thanks to all of you that put in your ten cents, although I am ahardy transplanted Brit , with hiking experience both here and iNepal, I will follow your local advice and try to reconfigure my journey - many thanks, Hoofit

Malto
11-14-2012, 17:44
When folks are talking about stream crossings and snow..... Is it really much different than what a normal PCT goes through in the Sierra? (this is a question, not a statement.).