PDA

View Full Version : 1p tent vs 2p tent

Mountainman95
11-13-2012, 10:58
i was wondering whether i should get a 2p tent for the extra space for my 2014 thru hike or a 1p tent to save weight.,....... any feedback helps

Old Hiker
11-13-2012, 11:02
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?86824-LightHeart-Gear-SoLong-6-First-Impressions

Tinker
11-13-2012, 11:06
I'm glad that this is under the general gear talk category since I'm a section hiker.

In my earlier hiking years I hiked almost exclusively solo and used a tent up until 2001 or so. I looked for a tent that was light and had a good amount of usable space. I settled on a Hilleberg Akto since most of my hiking is during cool weather.

You don't need much room to sleep. You should have room to get into and out of the tent without getting your sleeping quarters wet (and for storing your gear and keeping it dry).
I recommend a relatively high (for sit up room) solo tent with a large vestibule.
Since most of your hiking will be in (relatively) warmer months, you should have more ventilation than the Akto allows for.

If you don't use trekking poles, I like the design of the Tarptent Moment, since it has a high, roomy vestibule and lots of ventilation options.
A similar design using trekking poles might be good for you if you use them and want to shave a few ounces.

For what it's worth - I think that the pole in the TT Moment probably makes it less susceptible to high wind deformation than the pole-less version (forgot the name).

Tinker
11-13-2012, 11:12
...............more on the Lightheart tent - a good tent for trekking pole users. I bought one because I thought the design was extremely well thought out and was not disappointed. I like the design of the Moment (with the pole) a bit more for usable headroom in the vestibule, though the Lightheart tent has far more space in the "bedroom".
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?52867-Lightheart-Tent&highlight=

G-FOURce
11-13-2012, 11:15
this is a question i've wondered, too, so thanks for the post. i like the idea of more room and also, since my son will be joining me more often than not, its seems more economical to go with a 2p tent.

in addition, and speaking to the member who posted about the TT models, has anyone had issues using a tent that is NOT free-standing on the AT? has it been problematic for anyone? i have a Sierra Designs Lightning 2 and am considering grabbing a Monument but I'm not completely sold on the idea of a tent that isn't free-standing.

Tinker
11-13-2012, 11:20
The only place where a non-freestanding tent could be a problem on the AT is on bald mountains with solid ledge summits or tent platforms. It's usually easy enough to tie stake loops to a tent platform or surrounding vegetation at such sites using some extra line (you do carry some, don't you? :)).

In high wind or wet snow, even "freestanding" tents will need to be anchored (stakes or otherwise) to withstand the forces of Ma Nature.

There are no shortcuts to wisdom. Even learning from others' mistakes takes some attention to detail. ;)

Tinker
11-13-2012, 11:24
this is a question i've wondered, too, so thanks for the post. i like the idea of more room and also, since my son will be joining me more often than not, its seems more economical to go with a 2p tent.

in addition, and speaking to the member who posted about the TT models, has anyone had issues using a tent that is NOT free-standing on the AT? has it been problematic for anyone? i have a Sierra Designs Lightning 2 and am considering grabbing a Monument but I'm not completely sold on the idea of a tent that isn't free-standing.

I'm assuming you mean Moment tent. Great design. I would have one if I slept on the ground (and probably a two person Lightheart for use with another hiker).

AllTheWayToMordor
11-13-2012, 12:14
I just bought the tarptent notch (the trekking pole version of the moment) and took it to Utah last weekend so I figured I'd throw out my impressions. I was using an REI halfdome 2+ person tent without the inner piece. Going to a 1 person tent is definitely more cozy. I used to spread out all over the place in the 2 person. But its not confining, and I actually kind of like better it for sleeping. There are two vestibules in the Notch, and I haven't needed to used the second one yet, there is plenty of room in one vestibule for your pack and boots while still letting you get out. I don't think I'm going to miss the space.

We got hit with a winter storm at camp and the notch held the wind and few inches of snow like a champ. To address the free standing issue: it being Utah I wasn't able to get a steak into the ground (rock) so instead I tied some loops of chord around piles of rocks. At first I was a little worried that if one of my rock piles failed the tent would be reduced to a wet, cold heap with me inside; but I'm not so worried about that any more.

Deadeye
11-13-2012, 12:54
If the weight equiations works, take a 1P tent and add a tarp for a porch/eating/whatever space that's sheltered, but you can stand up in. Personally, I don't like the confined space of 1P tents.

cabbagehead
11-13-2012, 18:30
I've never seen a 1p tent that couldn't fit 2 people. You will have extra space. Get 1 with a vestibule that is large enough for a pair of shoes.

4Bears
11-13-2012, 19:29
Am seriously considering the Lightheart Solong 6, with an extra door so both vestibules are usable, VERY roomy for a tent with a one person billing. Most likely be ordering after the 1st of the year, so I have it in plenty of time for my summer hikes. http://www.lightheartgear.com/

Blissful
11-13-2012, 22:44
Some nice lightweight 2 person sil nylon tents out there is you want the extra room but around 2 lbs. Curious if anyone has feedback on Big Sky International tents. I'm in the market for a new tent.

Captain Skivvies
11-14-2012, 01:59
The Lightheart Solong 6 is a great tent but be careful if you're very tall. I'm 6'6" and while it was rommy I couldn't keep my the bottom of my down bag from touching the end single wall because of the steep angle. I had to return it Now use a Big Agnes UL 3 and love it.

Cookerhiker
11-14-2012, 09:36
After using a 1p Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight for >15 years, I bought a 2p Mountain Hardwear PCT2 in 2007. Liked the additional roominess and the side entrance, especially being able to enter from either side. But I replaced it last year (warranty replacement offer from MH) with a 1p Sprite. Didn't take too long to get accustomed to the smaller size and I don't mind have my pack outside between the tent and fly. I do miss the double-sided entrance and I can't sit up inside without brushing the top. The weight savings is worth it.

LIhikers
11-16-2012, 00:54
The Tarptent Rainbow is a very roomy 1 person tent.
So much so that I can share it with our dog, a 100 pound shephard, and still have some room for gear.

Northern Lights
11-16-2012, 01:19
I have the hubba hubba 2 person tent and found it was too roomy for one person. So I bought the hubba 1 person tent and found I can fit myself, my pack and boots inside the tent without a problem.

Whack-a-mole
11-16-2012, 15:40
There is more to this than simply asking which size. How big are you. I'm not knocking posts like cabbageheads, but I'm 6-3 and 250lbs. If you are planning on sharing a 1p tent with me, I'll go ahead and say you'll be sleeping outside in the rain. Love my BA CS2. It's NOT the lightest, but it works for me!

BradMT
11-17-2012, 09:45
I have the hubba hubba 2 person tent and found it was too roomy for one person. So I bought the hubba 1 person tent and found I can fit myself, my pack and boots inside the tent without a problem.

I bought the Hubba HP version (ordered it from England, not available in NA) and love it. I ditched the stuff bags that came with it and use one silnyon bag... with Tyvek ground cloth it weighs 2lbs 15 oz's. I plan on getting Fibraplex poles and get it down to around 2.5 lbs.

Unlike other single wall shelters mentioned here (really tarps, not tents) the Hubba is a 2-wall shelter that, when pitched correctly, is bombproof. I've used my HP in heavy winds and rain with no problems. It has plenty of room for gear and cooking. It also has enough room for my size large Neoair.

The design is simply brilliant and efficient... I couldn't be happier.

dornstar
11-17-2012, 12:35
Another devout Lightheart Gear user.

I have the Solo with awning and I have never been happier with a tent. Tons of room, great ventilation and love that the awning gives me a little view while still being protected. On my last outing at Ocala National, it rained HARD for half a day and having that awning to see out into the world made it so much nicer than my hiking buddies who were locked up in their Big Agnes UL2s. After that experience, on of them actually sold their UL2 and got a Lightheart Gear Solo.

nickamante
11-19-2012, 16:05
I've got a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1 which I love. It's 2lb 12oz so not the lightest choice, but it's free standing, double walled, has good head clearance, and has 22 sq/ft of interior room and a 10 sq/ft vestibule. I have enough room for my pack in the vestibule or the tent and could probably squeeze a second person in, in a pinch.

dornstar
11-21-2012, 00:54
I've got a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1 which I love. It's 2lb 12oz so not the lightest choice, but it's free standing, double walled, has good head clearance, and has 22 sq/ft of interior room and a 10 sq/ft vestibule. I have enough room for my pack in the vestibule or the tent and could probably squeeze a second person in, in a pinch.
Yeah, that's definitely a solid tent. I had one, but sold it and got a Fly Creek UL2 which I ended up hating. Sold that and bought a MSR Hubba. Sold that and got my LightHeart Gear Solo. LOVE it.

jeffmeh
11-26-2012, 16:10
There is more to this than simply asking which size. How big are you. I'm not knocking posts like cabbageheads, but I'm 6-3 and 250lbs. If you are planning on sharing a 1p tent with me, I'll go ahead and say you'll be sleeping outside in the rain. Love my BA CS2. It's NOT the lightest, but it works for me!

Agreed. E.g., Henry characterizes the Tartptent Rainbow as a 1+ person tent. I interpret that as meaning that you could put two in it in the case of an emergency, or in the case that the two are pretty intimate.

A Moment would be tough to fit two comfortably under any circumstances, but one could certainly use it in an emergency.

G-FOURce
11-26-2012, 16:43
just grabbed a Fly Creek UL2 Platinum as my solo shelter and as a UL solution for my son and I on longer section hikes. i am old school, i guess, and still prefer a full double-wall set-up.

Grady Wilson
11-28-2012, 11:19
i was wondering whether i should get a 2p tent for the extra space for my 2014 thru hike or a 1p tent to save weight.,....... any feedback helps

Well let me give you this advice. An 8 person Coleman dome from Wal-Mart is overkill. Been there done that on top of Blood Mountain and there was only two of us. A couple of DNR guys walked by as were setting up. They were so amazed that I packed that thing up there, they were afraid of my super human strength. Later that night we got hit by some straight-line winds that had to be in excess of 60 mph. Tent stakes were out of the question on rock, so the only thing holding it down was us. When the wind hit that thing, it laid down flat across our faces. It was epic!

simply_light
11-29-2012, 14:02
I'm in favor of spending a few extra dollars to go cuben and keep the bigger size tent.

For example the MLD Solomid silnylon is 11 ounces (not sealed) vs. the cuben Duomid which is 13 ounces (but does not need sealed and you can drop about an ounce in weight by taking off the linelocs. Sure it costs 200 more, but it solves the weight vs space issue for me.

no-name
11-29-2012, 14:08
Within 10 minutes hiking, you will be wondering how you could have made your pack lighter. Go with the 1 person tent.

Lyle
11-29-2012, 15:28
How often do you plan on using it?

>50% : get a two person for the comfort factor

<50% : get a one person for the lower weight, more compact package