PDA

View Full Version : Hi all, been a while!!!

DLANOIE
11-13-2012, 12:38
Well I finally made it onto the AT last weekend. When I came up to that first white blaze I laughed and thought, "youre home now.". I hiked a measily couple miles out of Caratunk to Pleasant Pond shelter. To my surprise I ran into a couple NOBOs! Jam session was one of them. He is from upstate NY. I cant remember the other guys name but he was from Florida. They said they met at Trail Days and had been hiking together since. I love stories like that. They both started near the end of March and were moving incredibly slow. When I asked how they were going to get into BSP their reply was to sneak in and sneak out. I warned them about the rangers and wished them the best. Then I continued onto the summit of Pleasant Mnt.. Not much of a view but I had not done this section since 2006. It was incredible just to be there and see some late season thrus. I only live 1.5 hrs from Caratunk but gas prices are killing my hiking frequency for sure. It looks like the MATC has done some trail work on the section I did and the shelter still has a stream flowing under it. I cant believe I forgot about that, haha. Good hike all in all. Thanks!

David

turtle fast
11-13-2012, 14:12
It sounds like you got the trail in your blood....just like a lot of others here too. When you do not have a view but you do not mind and still excited....just to be there......that is it, a symptom of the AT's magical pull.

Blissful
11-13-2012, 14:14
Glad you had a good time

Cookerhiker
11-13-2012, 15:31
Well I finally made it onto the AT last weekend. When I came up to that first white blaze I laughed and thought, "youre home now.". I hiked a measily couple miles out of Caratunk to Pleasant Pond shelter. To my surprise I ran into a couple NOBOs! Jam session was one of them. He is from upstate NY. I cant remember the other guys name but he was from Florida. They said they met at Trail Days and had been hiking together since. I love stories like that. They both started near the end of March and were moving incredibly slow. When I asked how they were going to get into BSP their reply was to sneak in and sneak out. I warned them about the rangers and wished them the best. Then I continued onto the summit of Pleasant Mnt.. Not much of a view but I had not done this section since 2006. It was incredible just to be there and see some late season thrus. I only live 1.5 hrs from Caratunk but gas prices are killing my hiking frequency for sure. It looks like the MATC has done some trail work on the section I did and the shelter still has a stream flowing under it. I cant believe I forgot about that, haha. Good hike all in all. Thanks!

David

That's funny - I had some nice views from Pleasant Pond Mt which BTW was a bitch of a climb. Not as long as better-known Maine summits e.g. Saddleback, Old Blue etc. but foot-for-foot, just as steep.

Slo-go'en
11-13-2012, 15:46
My guess is he didn't have much of a view due to weather, not that there isn't a view to be had otherwise.

DLANOIE
11-14-2012, 00:14
Yes exactly Slo. Overcast with rain the whole day. But it was a warm rain with a perfect autumn breeze. I met some other hikers at the summit. They were going from Caratunk to monson so they were just starting out. Great folks from Lewiston, ME. When they asked me how far I was going I said "Sadly this is as far as I can go today, you will love the views from Moxie Bald. Good luck!"