PDA

View Full Version : The end of modern civilization as we know it - Twinkees could go out of production

peakbagger
11-13-2012, 16:32
As some folks may not be aware, Hostess Bakeries is chapter 11 and the employees have gone on strike protesting the rather signficant pay and benefits cuts needed to "save" the company. The company is threatening to close for good which will deprive the world of all those high transfat nutritionally empty calories craved by a many a thru hiker when they get into town. Despite multiple urban myths to the contrary, twinkes will not last forever so how are folks going to survive the twinkee apocalypse?

Of course I expect once the truth comes out and production stops I expect that what few twinkees exist will disapear en masse from the face of the earth ;).

This is coming suspiciously close to the dec 2012 mayan calendar prediction, so is this the great disaster foretold many centuries ago by a primitive civilization in Mexico? There must be a link to ancient astronauts, the food of the gods? and I expect Bigfoot had a hand in driving the company to chapter 11. I had better start watching the History Channel to see what else this foretells.

I personally never was a yellow twinkees fan but do admit that if a red "strawberry" version was at hand that I wouldnt refuse it when heading into town after a week of backpacking.

I think my approach will be to hunker down and go cold turkey while the hordes of zombies deprived of their twinkee fix ravage the countryside while Woody Harrelson battles it out for the remaining inventory.:D

Please remember this was posted in the HUMOR forum.

Rasty
11-13-2012, 16:41
Little Debbie Cloud Cakes are a sub-prime substitute.
http://littledebbie.com/products/CloudCakes.asp

rhjanes
11-13-2012, 16:46
I've purchased 43 pallets of them. I plan to sell them on flea-bay....

FarmerChef
11-13-2012, 16:50
There just something magical about sucking the creaming filling out of a hostess cupcake, peeling off the chocolate topping and then, finally, eating the cake. It's like playing Operation on cupcake only tastier...:D

perrymk
11-13-2012, 16:59
Good book. Serious yet fun.

turtle fast
11-13-2012, 17:02
Hostesses brands are worth some money so if the company does go under they would be bought...probably by a private equity firm, or Mars brands, or Sara Lee.

Rasty
11-13-2012, 17:13
I've purchased 43 pallets of them. I plan to sell them on flea-bay....

$100 for a pallet?

Karma13
11-13-2012, 17:14
I'm in Philly, so I'll stick to Tastykakes!

WingedMonkey
11-13-2012, 17:27
Don't need no damn Twinkies.

I did have Moon Pies in every drop from Ga to ME.

snifur
11-13-2012, 17:33
If you dont like Twinkies you aint no American. Twinkies stacked together and mortared in place with chocolate frosting is the best on a Birthday.

kayak karl
11-13-2012, 18:13
we shipped them to my sis in California for years and threw in soft pretzels and a Tony Luke cheese steak :)

Sarcasm the elf
11-13-2012, 18:31

I used to do business with Tasty Baking. As a thank you they sent me a briefcase sized variety box of cakes fresh from the production line. It was amazing how great they were, especially fresh. I'll take them over twinkies any day.!

T.S.Kobzol
11-13-2012, 19:57
You can buy a pallet of twinkies to last your lifetime. God knows

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

T.S.Kobzol
11-13-2012, 20:00
God knows they won't spoil for decades

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Different Socks
11-13-2012, 22:30
I read the story that they have to file bankruptcy because they pay their employees too much money. The other things they sell make alot of money for them.

Rasty
11-13-2012, 22:53
I read the story that they have to file bankruptcy because they pay their employees too much money. The other things they sell make alot of money for them.

I'm sure the 50%+ increase in the cost of corn and wheat is part of the problem

Mags
11-13-2012, 22:54
Always been more of a Drakes Cakes kinda guy... :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake's

Long live the coffee cakes!

EDIT: What! They are (were?) owned by Hostess since the 1990s. Damn...

JAK
11-13-2012, 23:03
I don't allow food that in my house.
If I find any of it, I dispose of it as quickly as possible. ;-)

turtle fast
11-13-2012, 23:14
A part of their problem is their distribution model and Americans in general shying away from sweets. Also the consumer got used to the low comparative retails of the products and they increased their prices leading to fewer sales. ALSO, they did not actively diversify into a healthier product line option NOR got into distributing associated products to make up the difference in lost sales and volume. Part of the problem was an entrenchment in management decisions. I was a marketing manager for a Fortune 500 company and ran into the Hostess folks all the time and was told bits and pieces of problems.

wornoutboots
11-14-2012, 12:30
Twinkies Forever.................Snowballs Never!!! Who on earth liked those snowball cakes?????

oldbear
11-14-2012, 12:43
I've always liked Devil Dogs better

Slo-go'en
11-14-2012, 17:04
I knew I should have gotten a deep fried Twinkee the last time I was in Gatlinburg, now I may never have the chance to experiance that culinary delight :0

Theosus
11-19-2012, 23:41
Never had a Twinkie. The opportunity just never came up. I thought the whole situation was sort of funny though, a big F U from management to unions.
"We're going on strike!"
"Um, okay, you're all fired."

Hopefully the Walmart people will have better luck this Thursday when they fail to show for work because they feel they shouldn't have to work on thanksgiving.

Rasty
11-20-2012, 00:37
Never had a Twinkie. The opportunity just never came up. I thought the whole situation was sort of funny though, a big F U from management to unions.
"We're going on strike!"
"Um, okay, you're all fired."

Hopefully the Walmart people will have better luck this Thursday when they fail to show for work because they feel they shouldn't have to work on thanksgiving.

I have worked on Thanksgiving day for 23 years. Many jobs work holidays so I don't know what they are complaining about, they could be off every day!

atraildreamer
11-20-2012, 11:24
I have worked on Thanksgiving day for 23 years. Many jobs work holidays so I don't know what they are complaining about, they could be off every day!

I never minded working on holidays in the burglar alarm monitoring business. Usually very quiet, as even the crooks stayed home, and, best of all...DOUBLE TIME AND A HALF!

DrRichardCranium
11-24-2012, 19:03
Twinkies will last for many years in their wrapper.

I think it is highly appropriate that the Twinkie is shaped like an ancient sarcophagus.